Leaving the pin in fundamentally changes the game!

Comments

• farmerfarmer Members Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have played hundreds of rounds with the stick in. You have to be careful in the wind, but that is not a big, mysterious issue. Particularly as I've aged, it helps with depth perception. If a group cannot figure out the stick in/stick out conundrum, they are dumber than the stick. It's just not that hard.
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Tingting wrote:

Half of our group wants it in vs half wants it out. We decided that those who wants the pin out will have to do it themselves. Self service. When we played with the group leaving it in it was faster

So when they walk up and pull the pin. Who puts it back in ? Lol.

They would.

Oh it's gonna be epic. I can't wait to through putt all the way in and just leave the stick laying on the ground. To **** with etiquette, the rule changed doncha know? Too bad I have to wait another 3 months or so but, man it'll be good.
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • b.mattayb.mattay New WRX'er Members Posts: 511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with the pin being a visual aid. Very few putts over 1.5 feet are inside the hole.
    2017 M1 (8.25, Grafalloy Blue 65X, Z-Cord)

King LTD (14.5, Grafalloy Blue 75X, Z-Cord)

Sonartec GS Tour (18, Fujikura 370, Z-Cord)

714 AP2 (4-9, X100, Z-Cord, 1 Degree Flat)

SM6 (46.08F, 50.12F, 55.15F, 60.12V, S400, Z-Cord, 1 Degree Flat)

Rossa Corza (P2 Reflex, Counterweight [50g], 34”)
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    b.mattay wrote:

I disagree with the pin being a visual aid. Very few putts over 1.5 feet are inside the hole.

Yeah that argument was dead before it even left the tee box. You could always have the flag attended, thus giving you a visual aid.
    shovel-ier shovels
    a hideous grip
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,548 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Vindog wrote:

Tingting wrote:

Half of our group wants it in vs half wants it out. We decided that those who wants the pin out will have to do it themselves. Self service. When we played with the group leaving it in it was faster

They would.

Oh it's gonna be epic. I can't wait to through putt all the way in and just leave the stick laying on the ground. To **** with etiquette, the rule changed doncha know? Too bad I have to wait another 3 months or so but, man it'll be good.

To be clear Vin I was asking to play devils advocate vs his statement that anyone wanting it out has to do it themselves. Somehow it escaped him that the pin maybe out first. Lol.

I’ll always use courtesy and help with the pin anytime I can. Only people I’ve seen say otherwise are the pin in zealots who think anyone wanting it out Are now holding up the game.
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Vindog wrote:

Tingting wrote:

They would.

To be clear Vin I was asking to play devils advocate vs his statement that anyone wanting it out has to do it themselves. Somehow it escaped him that the pin maybe out first. Lol.

I'll always use courtesy and help with the pin anytime I can. Only people I've seen say otherwise are the pin in zealots who think anyone wanting it out Are now holding up the game.

I'm with you, this rule change shouldn't change the way we treat each other on the golf course. Of course, its a lot easier to be a rigid a-hole in a semi-anonymous website than it is in real life.
  • KevinxKevinx Members Posts: 115 ✭✭
    If not taking the flag out speeds up play then not marking your ball no matter where it is should be allowed. Then if speeding up play matters then anything 2 ft is a gimme. What I'm saying is the rule changes are a joke
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevinx wrote:

Unless the pin is never taken out it will speed up play 2 minutes a hole. All the rule changes are stupid. You might as well let the players kick the ball away from behind a tree to so they don't have to go thru the drop routine.

I will say while playing alone for convenience I always left the flag in.

Kevinx wrote:

If not taking the flag out speeds up play then not marking your ball no matter where it is should be allowed. Then if speeding up play matters then anything 2 ft is a gimme. What I'm saying is the rule changes are a joke

Most of us can read. We got it. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Justin ? Is that you ? image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,768 ClubWRX
    This was probably in here somewhere and I missed it. But can you adjust the flagstick if it is leaning? Before you putt.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,548 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This was probably in here somewhere and I missed it. But can you adjust the flagstick if it is leaning? Before you putt.

Not sure. But I am sure you can pull it and change your mind and put it back.
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

True, so if it does happen to be leaning the wrong direction you could reseat it.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • turtlekcturtlekc 1995 MN PGA WisconsinClubWRX Posts: 12,782 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 7, 2019 12:07pm #133

True, so if it does happen to be leaning the wrong direction you could reseat it.

Everything is in the book

http://www.usga.org/...rule&rulenum=13

Please see 13-2 and its interpretations
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Vindog wrote:

b.mattay wrote:

Yeah that argument was dead before it even left the tee box. You could always have the flag attended, thus giving you a visual aid.

but having someone stand there is distracting. haha
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    davep043 wrote:

aliikane wrote:

I think it will improve strokes per round. There is definitely many more cases where it helps than hurts. Not a big fan of the rule change, but it is here to stay.

This is one I can't agree with. This will generally help balls that are going too fast, and hit the pin. How many putts fit that criteria? Most putts from 10 feet and beyond don't actually go over the hole. Those won't be assisted. Most putts inside maybe 20 feet are going slow enough that they won't be helped either. I believe any effect on scoring will be a small fraction of one stroke, on average, and many rounds will not be influenced at all. I believe we overestimate the effect because the studies have looked ONLY at putts that hit the flag, and have looked primarily at putts going at the maximum holing speed or faster. No need to study the ones that miss, but they're the majority of all putts.

Not as much on the amateur level as much but the pro level for sure. Pros hit the hole a lot. Also, just the alignment of the pin and depth perception helps in gauging the putt much better. Fractions of strokes over four days could be the edge between winning, moving up spots, or missing a cut.
    aliikane wrote:

davep043 wrote:

aliikane wrote:

I think it will improve strokes per round. There is definitely many more cases where it helps than hurts. Not a big fan of the rule change, but it is here to stay.

This is one I can't agree with. This will generally help balls that are going too fast, and hit the pin. How many putts fit that criteria? Most putts from 10 feet and beyond don't actually go over the hole. Those won't be assisted. Most putts inside maybe 20 feet are going slow enough that they won't be helped either. I believe any effect on scoring will be a small fraction of one stroke, on average, and many rounds will not be influenced at all. I believe we overestimate the effect because the studies have looked ONLY at putts that hit the flag, and have looked primarily at putts going at the maximum holing speed or faster. No need to study the ones that miss, but they're the majority of all putts.

Not as much on the amateur level as much but the pro level for sure. Pros hit the hole a lot. Also, just the alignment of the pin and depth perception helps in gauging the putt much better. Fractions of strokes over four days could be the edge between winning, moving up spots, or missing a cut.

Pros have always had the opportunity to have the pin tended, they won't get any new advantage in this aspect from the rule change. But yes, if a player makes a choice that helps him save fractions, and the other players don't take the same advantage, the change can tilt results a bit, occasionally. It kind of makes you question the guys who won't even consider changing their current habits.
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    davep043 wrote:

aliikane wrote:

davep043 wrote:

aliikane wrote:

Pros have always had the opportunity to have the pin tended, they won't get any new advantage in this aspect from the rule change. But yes, if a player makes a choice that helps him save fractions, and the other players don't take the same advantage, the change can tilt results a bit, occasionally. It kind of makes you question the guys who won't even consider changing their current habits.

Great point.
  • mankumanku Members Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No pro, or person playing a serious tournament, is going to have a flag tended on a 10 foot or less putt. Why? Because if the person tending spaces out or has difficulty removing the flagstick (which has happened to me a few times...albeit on long putts...fortunately the ball missed the hole), the player will incur a significant penalty. No one will risk that.

Also, at least for my pea sized brain, having someone next to the hole on a short putt is a visual distraction.

As I said in my OP, it's a really small sample size so far for me. But I know I'm putting with much more confidence...and in a game where your mind is perhaps the major factor in your performance, that has to mean something.
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't realize tending the flag was such a difficult task, must be tough playing with that bunch.
    manku wrote:

No pro, or person playing a serious tournament, is going to have a flag tended on a 10 foot or less putt. Why? Because if the person tending spaces out or has difficulty removing the flagstick (which has happened to me a few times...albeit on long putts...fortunately the ball missed the hole), the player will incur a significant penalty. No one will risk that.

Also, at least for my pea sized brain, having someone next to the hole on a short putt is a visual distraction.

As I said in my OP, it's a really small sample size so far for me. But I know I'm putting with much more confidence...and in a game where your mind is perhaps the major factor in your performance, that has to mean something.

I feel like I've seen a few players have the flag tended on pretty short putts, but I can't name specifics. I know I've seen a few caddies leave the flagstick in the hole until what seems like the very last instant. I think they generally pull it loose first, and set it gently back in, so there won't be any chance of the stick being stuck in the hole. After all, those caddies ARE professionals.
  • Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Anecdotally, I teed off in a threeball at 7:30 this morning. Never pulled a pin. Finished at 10:20. 73.4/136. And it was paths only.

IDK how much of it was the pin in, but I'm sure it didn't hurt. Starting to come around.

As an aside, I did have to touch up some cups after wedging my fat fingers in to pull the ball.
    8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fundamentally? Hogwash.

Incrementally by an itsy bitsy bit....sure.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
    edited Mar 7, 2019 5:45pm #143

Vindog wrote:

Tingting wrote:

They would.

I'll always use courtesy and help with the pin anytime I can. Only people I've seen say otherwise are the pin in zealots who think anyone wanting it out Are now holding up the game.

Of course. I was just funnin' around. Rule change shouldn't mean etiquette change. I should mention that in prior threads I did question the new flagstick rule. I didn't care about pace per se, but I brought up that it might be somewhere contrary to the backstopping policy (bit of a stretch) but in the end I thought that it really wasn't going to effect my day on the course.
    shovel-ier shovels
    a hideous grip
    And honestly, if we're talking "fundamental" change to the game? I think local rule e-5 goes further than this one.
    shovel-ier shovels
    a hideous grip
    kevcarter wrote:

[url="http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=pe&section=rule&rulenum=13"]http://www.usga.org/...rule&rulenum=13[/url]

So, the way I read it, if it’s not centered, it can be moved so it is?
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

kevcarter wrote:

[url="http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=pe&section=rule&rulenum=13"]http://www.usga.org/...rule&rulenum=13[/url]

That is how I read it as well.
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
    kevcarter wrote:

kevcarter wrote:

That is how I read it as well.

Oh, and thank you for linking it Kev, made it so much easier.

BTW, where did Fred go?
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
    You are welcome.

Fred?
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
    kevcarter wrote:

You are welcome.

Fred?

Flintstone. The avatar.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

kevcarter wrote:

You are welcome.

Fred?

Flintstone. The avatar.

Trying to stay a little more under the radar. I guess I’ll leave it at that.
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I made a putt that would’ve gone 20 feet by, maybe off the green. Slammed dead center of the pin and dropped in.
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights