Leaving the pin in fundamentally changes the game!

Comments

• ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,399 ✭✭
    oikos1 wrote:

Ah. So the potential time saved during a round outweighs the potential advantage gained during a round.
    Sure, potentially time can be saved on the golf course in a myriad of ways. Better management by the course operator.... All of the players taking lessons... All of the players being properly fit for clubs-and being properly fit themselves.... Playing ready golf..... Walking faster (could refer back to the fit part)... Unattractive cart girls....

Some of those would also carry a potential advantage to scoring....image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • oikos1oikos1 Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭
    Shilgy wrote:

oikos1 wrote:

Ah. So the potential time saved during a round outweighs the potential advantage gained during a round.
    Sure, potentially time can be saved on the golf course in a myriad of ways. Better management by the course operator.... All of the players taking lessons... All of the players being properly fit for clubs-and being properly fit themselves.... Playing ready golf..... Walking faster (could refer back to the fit part)... Unattractive cart girls....

Some of those would also carry a potential advantage to scoring.... image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

That's a good list however none of the things you mentioned involve a rule change.
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,609 ✭✭
    oikos1 wrote:

Shilgy wrote:

oikos1 wrote:

Some of those would also carry a potential advantage to scoring.... image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

That's a good list however none of the things you mentioned involve a rule change.

[media=]

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56* DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3, 64 DGS300

Evnroll 1.2 (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,503 ✭✭
    oikos1 wrote:

Shilgy wrote:

oikos1 wrote:

Well, now you only have 3 minutes to find and identify your ball, instead of five. How many strokes do we think will be ADDED to scores due to the two minute difference? Here we have a potential disadvantage, related to a rule change centered around pace.

These things happen to an evolving game, and generally they are insignificant.
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • whiteout73whiteout73 Members Posts: 1,022 ✭✭
    I had my first negative encounter with the new flagstick rule yesterday - Got rejected on a 20-footer, where the ball would almost surely have gone in without the flagstick, as it really wasn't going very fast. Our greens are freshly sanded after aeration, so leaving the flag in seems to be the correct move, it just didn't turn out that way on this one. Of course, on the next hole, I hit a putt that was tracking toward the hole, when like a foot from going in, it bounced a good 45 degrees to the right after it struck a stone that was half-buried in the sand. I guess the lesson I learned was, don't bother taking putting seriously on sanded greens.
    D - Ping G400 10-degree SFT, Diamana ka'li 70S
    3W - Tour Issue TM RBZ Tour TP 14.5, Diamana kai'li 70S
    Hy - TaylorMade 2009 Rescue TP 19, Aldila RIP 85S
    4-U - Ping i25, Ping TFC 189i graphite stiff
    54 and 60 - Bettinardi H2 Cashmere
    P - Bettinardi BB28 Raw Limited
  • oikos1oikos1 Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭
    Vindog wrote:

oikos1 wrote:

Shilgy wrote:

oikos1 wrote:

Well, now you only have 3 minutes to find and identify your ball, instead of five. How many strokes do we think will be ADDED to scores due to the two minute difference? Here we have a potential disadvantage, related to a rule change centered around pace.

These things happen to an evolving game, and generally they are insignificant.

You are the first person I've heard bring up the rule change in the amount of time allotted to identify a ball as a concern. You seem to be suggesting a potential disadvantage and then imply the rule is insignificant to strokes added to ones score.

If that is your point, I would agree.
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,399 ✭✭
    whiteout73 wrote:

I had my first negative encounter with the new flagstick rule yesterday - Got rejected on a 20-footer, where the ball would almost surely have gone in without the flagstick, as it really wasn't going very fast. Our greens are freshly sanded after aeration, so leaving the flag in seems to be the correct move, it just didn't turn out that way on this one. Of course, on the next hole, I hit a putt that was tracking toward the hole, when like a foot from going in, it bounced a good 45 degrees to the right after it struck a stone that was half-buried in the sand. I guess the lesson I learned was, don't bother taking putting seriously on sanded greens.
    Wait wait wait... So it's actually a potential disadvantage? Hmm. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • taylormade113taylormade113 Members Posts: 894 ✭✭
    Over the weekend I saw my first pin rejection. My son had a 20' that caught the pin on a glancing blow and caused it to deflect and catch the lip and then lip out. It was very interesting. We both saw it happen and just stared for a sec, and the wheels were turning. We both agree that leaving the flag at distance is helpful for lag putting, but after seeing that, it gave us pause on what we would do 20' and in. I still like the flag in, especially in casual rounds but he plays for his college and it caused him to reconsider leaving it in at closer range during tournaments.

Over the weekend I saw my first pin rejection. My son had a 20' that caught the pin on a glancing blow and caused it to deflect and catch the lip and then lip out. It was very interesting. We both saw it happen and just stared for a sec, and the wheels were turning. We both agree that leaving the flag at distance is helpful for lag putting, but after seeing that, it gave us pause on what we would do 20' and in. I still like the flag in, especially in casual rounds but he plays for his college and it caused him to reconsider leaving it in at closer range during tournaments.

On the low side ? My observations have caused me to conclude that this can and will happen on the low side more often than the high side (gravity and all).

Problem is though, that while we "swear" it would have gone in (or stayed out for that matter), there's no way to know for sure,,,,,,, image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Titleist AVX
  • stixmanstixman Hew to the line. Let the divots fall where they may. 1926 Golf I Members Posts: 1,834 ✭✭
    Vindog wrote:

stixman wrote:

Yes, I agree with the OP. It fundamentally changed the game back in 1968. Quite unnecessary.

It was introduced by the R&A to the benefit of elite players, a very small minority esp. in those days with very little media coverage.

The USGA? Well I couldn't possibly comment.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how adding a penalty situation benefits the elite player. Do you have any insight as to that?

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away.

As I remember the issue of penalty wasn't discussed between us at any rate.

The reason given that I heard was something about leaving the flag in infringed equity and fairness in some way and introduced chance into the deal. We all thought it was B****cks at the time, as it is now imo.
    Vintage various.
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,102 ✭✭
    stixman wrote:

Vindog wrote:

stixman wrote:

Yes, I agree with the OP. It fundamentally changed the game back in 1968. Quite unnecessary.

It was introduced by the R&A to the benefit of elite players, a very small minority esp. in those days with very little media coverage.

The USGA? Well I couldn't possibly comment.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how adding a penalty situation benefits the elite player. Do you have any insight as to that?

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away.

As I remember the issue of penalty wasn't discussed between us at any rate.

The reason given that I heard was something about leaving the flag in infringed equity and fairness in some way and introduced chance into the deal. We all thought it was B****cks at the time, as it is now imo.

That's an interesting comment (I know it wasn't you). It seems that equity, treating similar situations similarly, would be unaffected. Whether the falgstick could be left in or had to be removed offered every player the identical choices, how could it be more fair?. And chance is always part of the deal in golf. Ah well, the rules are what they are, we'll see how it works out.
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,451 ✭✭
    i have to say -- i've experimented a bit over the first few rounds this season and have come up with a reasonable plan this season for whether i decide to leave it in, or out.

- if the putt is something i believe i can REASONABLY make -- i take the pin out.

- if the putt is outside the realm of reasonably making it -- i leave it in.

while i know that makes no sense b/c we should always believe we can make everything - i'm a realist. outside 20-25' or so and i'm realistically trying to leave myself the 3' circle.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,102 ✭✭
    gioguy21 wrote:

i have to say -- i've experimented a bit over the first few rounds this season and have come up with a reasonable plan this season for whether i decide to leave it in, or out.

- if the putt is something i believe i can REASONABLY make -- i take the pin out.

while i know that makes no sense b/c we should always believe we can make everything - i'm a realist. outside 20-25' or so and i'm realistically trying to leave myself the 3' circle.

This is becoming my approach. The other justification, on shorter putts I can control my distance reasonably well. Putts with good speed don't need much assistance from the flagstick. Longer putts are the ones where I'm more likely to hit it significantly too hard, and its on the "too hard" putts that the flagstick is most likely to help. Either it helps the ball go in, or helps it to stay closer. If I accidentally hit the hole, of course, which isn't all that often from 20 feet or more.
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,451 ✭✭
    davep043 wrote:

gioguy21 wrote:

This is becoming my approach. The other justification, on shorter putts I can control my distance reasonably well. Putts with good speed don't need much assistance from the flagstick. Longer putts are the ones where I'm more likely to hit it significantly too hard, and its on the "too hard" putts that the flagstick is most likely to help. Either it helps the ball go in, or helps it to stay closer. If I accidentally hit the hole, of course, which isn't all that often from 20 feet or more.

i was going to type that but...figured i'd get a TLDR haha our speed control confidence and outlook is very much the same.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• xxioxxio Members Posts: 5,673 ✭✭
    From my personal experienceI have now concluded leaving the pin in saves a foursome about 12-15minutes a round, but the difficulty of taking a ball out of the hole with the pin in adds 5 minutes. So a net of 7-10minutes.
    xxio wrote:

From my personal experienceI have now concluded leaving the pin in saves a foursome about 12-15minutes a round, but the difficulty of taking a ball out of the hole with the pin in adds 5 minutes. So a net of 7-10minutes.

image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Even the 80-somethings I sometimes play with are having no trouble at all picking the ball out of the hole, with the pin still in, using the index and middle finger "pinch". image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Titleist AVX
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,386 ✭✭
    davep043 wrote:

gioguy21 wrote:

After another 3 weeks of Florida golf I have adopted the same approach. I take the pin out 6' and closer otherwise I leave it in.

I'm more concerned by some new side effects of the rule, guys trying to use ball removers without pulling the flag. Older guys and lazy ones seem to have grown tired of pulling the flag and using the prongs at the end of their grip to retrieve their ball, they now wedge the grip between the hole and flag to pull out their ball which does all sorts of damage to the hole, almost every time causing a volcano effect on the side they pull the ball out from. This costs more time as someone now has walk up to the flag just to tap down the edges of the hole to ensure the ball can roll in unobstructed.

It also seems to result in more gimmes as it seems many in Florida don't like trying to retrieve their ball from the hole with the flag in, so they sweep the ball away within 3' of the hole. It will be interesting to see what the overall impact on handicap will be with this rule.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,671 ClubWRX
    new2g0lf wrote:

davep043 wrote:

gioguy21 wrote:

After another 3 weeks of Florida golf I have adopted the same approach. I take the pin out 6' and closer otherwise I leave it in.

I'm more concerned by some new side effects of the rule, guys trying to use ball removers without pulling the flag. Older guys and lazy ones seem to have grown tired of pulling the flag and using the prongs at the end of their grip to retrieve their ball, they now wedge the grip between the hole and flag to pull out their ball which does all sorts of damage to the hole, almost every time causing a volcano effect on the side they pull the ball out from. This costs more time as someone now has walk up to the flag just to tap down the edges of the hole to ensure the ball can roll in unobstructed.

It also seems to result in more gimmes as it seems many in Florida don't like trying to retrieve their ball from the hole with the flag in, so they sweep the ball away within 3' of the hole. It will be interesting to see what the overall impact on handicap will be with this rule.

Interesting. There really just isn’t any way to anticipate all the “side effects” a change can have is there?
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • T.B.T.B. Members Posts: 163 ✭✭

I’ve played 4 times this year and putts within 15 feet I remove the flag. I’ve had some longer putts that I’ve left in. Here’s the thing,,, why would anyone leave it in the hole? Back stop to a speeding golf ball?,,, ok when it hits the stick and ricochets 15 feet your still going to 3 putt. I’ve watched guys bang them off the flag now for a few rounds and I’m tired of it already. Take the flag out.

• SurfDufferSurfDuffer Members Posts: 3,009 ✭✭

@cardoustie said:

And I'm also guessing the pin gets splatted a whole lot less on greens as well, plus less chances of tearing up cup edges

The pin getting splatted on the green is one of my biggest pet peeves. I've started a couple of threads about this topic complete with pictures of the tracks it leaves on the green for the people who play late in the day. The tracks can really alter a putt if you have to putt down one of them.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
    Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
    Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
    Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
    SeeMore FPG Putter
  • lopey986lopey986 ClubWRX Posts: 2,217 ✭✭

Only thing i'd say is make sure the pin is squarely in the bottom and going right up the center of the hole. Had one get rejected because the pin wasn't flush and was more covering up the side of the hole the ball was tracking to, would have surely been in if it was flush and not slightly leaning.

• 3jacker3jacker Members Posts: 1,004 ✭✭
    edited Apr 15, 2019 5:44pm #203

Stats prove otherwise. Pin in helps more putts/chips struck at a reasonable speed. We just tend to remember the rejections a lot more.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
    Sizemore XB-1
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,547 ClubWRX

@3jacker said:
    Stats prove otherwise. Pin in helps more putts/chips struck at a reasonable speed. We just tend to remember the rejections a lot more.

Actually that is not true based on the various studies myself and others have read about. I have yet to see a definitive test which accounts for the correct putt speeds, green speeds, approach angle, slope, flag type, etc... . There have been multiple studies supporting an advantage and multiple studies showing disadvantages. None were comprehensive. If you can point out a comprehensive test then point it out to the forum.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow
  • 3jacker3jacker Members Posts: 1,004 ✭✭

I have a couple studies at my fingertips but know that by using the term "comprehensive" this will never end.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
    Sizemore XB-1
  • Popeye64Popeye64 Members Posts: 910 ✭✭

The ability to have the flag tended is the same 'visual aid' that it has always been. So leaving it in in long putts has changed very little. I'm sure at the end of the year the PGA putting stats will not show a huge advantage on putts made from long distance as the percentages are already fairly low.
    For the casual golfer I doubt there will be a huge impact on anything other than a possible pace of play increase. I just dont see it being a huge change either way.

• farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,853 ✭✭

My BIL belongs to a fairly large club in the Houston area. The club has always been emphatic about pace of play and has been pretty insistent on leaving the flag in. My BIL is one of a large group that plays a multi foursome money game. He says they have cut 20-25 minutes off their rounds by leaving the flag in place. The reason is that with the flag always in, a group in the fairway can shoot their distances while a group is still on the green, so as soon as the group clears, everyone is good to go. I hadn't thought of it, but it makes sense.

• legitimategolflegitimategolf Golf hard New York NYMembers Posts: 4,630 ✭✭
    edited Apr 15, 2019 7:52pm #208

edit: never mind, I set off the censor. I am sorry

• jbole267jbole267 CalgaryMembers Posts: 331 ✭✭

@T.B. said:
    I’ve played 4 times this year and putts within 15 feet I remove the flag. I’ve had some longer putts that I’ve left in. Here’s the thing,,, why would anyone leave it in the hole? Back stop to a speeding golf ball?,,, ok when it hits the stick and ricochets 15 feet your still going to 3 putt. I’ve watched guys bang them off the flag now for a few rounds and I’m tired of it already. Take the flag out.

Lol. Whoever is banging the pin on putts and having the ball ricochet 15 ft needs some putting help haha.

Taylormade M6 - Accra TZ6 M5 65
    Callaway X-Hot 2 Hybrid
    Srixon Z745 Project x 6.0
    Titleist Vokey Sm7 50-54-58
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 64
    Taylormade Spider X
    Taylormade TP5X
  • T.B.T.B. Members Posts: 163 ✭✭

very true. lol I don't think that the pin should be in

@T.B. said:
    very true. lol I don't think that the pin should be in

So ? Take it out. You don't HAVE to leave it in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Titleist AVX