Choosing your premium ball - and the effect on your scoring

rxk9fanrxk9fan Posts: 732 ✭✭
I went through a pretty extensive self test in selecting a ball for the first time last year. I started with about 6 different balls I was interested in and did multiple test on multiple days with all of the balls. TP5 came out the winner. I played a lot of rounds last year with that ball, but also got in several rounds with the Bridgestone BXS, ProV, TP5X, and Srixon.

As I go to start this year, I have to admit that the hours and hours I used to test balls last year could have been better spent working on my game. As a 8HC, my biggest strength is ball striking and last year my putting was not even average. If I am honest with myself, I don't think my scores were affected one bit by which of the premium balls I was using during my rounds.

I would really be interested if we could all play 5 rounds over a couple of weeks with 3 premium balls that were all void of markings or branding and then look at the results. Let's say for 5 days we played 18 holes, 6 holes each with the TP5, ProV, XV, (or any others that make up your top 3) without knowing what ball we played on what holes.

At least for me, I don't think one ball would end up with a significant better scoring average than the other. I don't even know that I would pick the same ball as my favorite each day.

I guess what I am saying is that while I love being ate up with golf and thinking about my equipment options...I really don't know that my scores are better or differ due to my choices.

Does the ball you choose (staying within subsets of like balls) make your scores go lower?

Would the winner each week on the PGA not have won if he would have been using another premium tour ball?
Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff [font=arial, sans-serif]Oban Kiyoshi[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Tour Limited[/font]
Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
Mizuno Hot Metal Pro with Recoil F4
Vokey 58, 54, 50
Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!

Comments

• BY#99BY#99 Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Info not see a difference in my scores. I probably rotate 3/4 balls a year. If you use balls of similar construction and design I wiould doubt a Big diggernce. Now if you used a Zstar XV against a B330 XS you would probably see a difference.
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,168 ✭✭
    Probably not. I choose a ball mostly for the way it performs from 100 yards and in. And it HAS to feel good off the putter.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • My all time best scores have been with two piece surlyn balls. That being said I stopped playing golf for a very long time and now I’m trying to get my game back to what it once was.

Ive tested a lot of balls and I’ve noticed my game is not consistent enough to make a difference. But now that I know how different golf balls fly, feel and spin I am a little more picky. My belief is that I need to pick one or two balls and stick with them as I improve my game.

It’s going to come down to feel, ball trajectory and short game control like everyone else. It’s a matter of personal preference about what ball gives me confidence.

I think a lot of us are like wine lovers. We want to try and test all of them. Ha ha ha.
    Driver - Callaway Rogue
    3w - Callaway Rogue
    5w - Callaway Rogue
    Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 918 ✭✭

My all time best scores have been with two piece surlyn balls. That being said I stopped playing golf for a very long time and now I'm trying to get my game back to what it once was.

Ive tested a lot of balls and I've noticed my game is not consistent enough to make a difference. But now that I know how different golf balls fly, feel and spin I am a little more picky. My belief is that I need to pick one or two balls and stick with them as I improve my game.

It's going to come down to feel, ball trajectory and short game control like everyone else. It's a matter of personal preference about what ball gives me confidence.

I think a lot of us are like wine lovers. We want to try and test all of them. Ha ha ha.

Ironically my all-time best score was a 67 on a Par 70 course that also had a par-5 reduced to 410 yds to repair tee boxes (so really par 69). The course was mush do to torrential rains the day before so I used a Pinnacle Soft to avoid losing a good ball due to plugging. Go figure.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 656 ✭✭
    I would agree that all the mental anguish over which ball to play is largely misplaced. I’ve always heard from my pro to pick one ball and stick with it, and once you get used to it then the consistency is what is helpful to you. He even went so far as to say that it almost didn’t matter which ball it was, just pick one and get used to it. I probed him on that a bit and he relented that of course you should get fit into the best ball for you first, and then try your best to stick with that ball for as long as you can (or until the new ones are different enough that it is time to redo the fitting).

I would tend to agree with the “get fit for a ball and stick with it” strategy...
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭

My all time best scores have been with two piece surlyn balls. That being said I stopped playing golf for a very long time and now I'm trying to get my game back to what it once was.

Ive tested a lot of balls and I've noticed my game is not consistent enough to make a difference. But now that I know how different golf balls fly, feel and spin I am a little more picky. My belief is that I need to pick one or two balls and stick with them as I improve my game.

It's going to come down to feel, ball trajectory and short game control like everyone else. It's a matter of personal preference about what ball gives me confidence.

I use the term "cork sniffer" here a lot. In my last round I hit one of the best approach shots of my life with a Titleist Velocity. Ball behaved perfectly. Go figure. I have developed a fondness for 3-piece urethane balls. With my game it's probably due to feel more than anything. Lowest round ever for me with with a Snell Get Sum...
    Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Srixon Z Star
    Maker's Mark
    edited Mar 3, 2019 2:39pm #8

I use the term "cork sniffer" here a lot. In my last round I hit one of the best approach shots of my life with a Titleist Velocity. Ball behaved perfectly. Go figure. I have developed a fondness for 3-piece urethane balls. With my game it's probably due to feel more than anything. Lowest round ever for me with with a Snell Get Sum...

A couple of weeks ago I was in a match and me and my buddy were 4 down with 5 to go. I had just lost my TP5x, so I put a Snell Get Sum in play for the last 5 holes. I shot -2 for the 5 holes and we halved the match. It was a yellow one too.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff

• Hat TrickHat Trick Members Posts: 543 ✭✭
    I drive my self nuts on golf balls...

Up until last summer I was a V1X guy for a few years. But because I have a very, very small job in golf, I'm get a discount on TP5 balls ($31 a dozen currently). So I started playing them early last summer and after a few rounds they were really good - they were a little longer than the V1X and felt good. Maybe it was the honeymoon or just the middle of the season, but my scores were a touch lower with this ball.

My plan is to continue with it when the weather breaks testing the TP5 vs. TP5X to see if I like one better than the other. But always in the back of mind is that Titleist ball count each week!!!
  • jesusdelallatajesusdelallata Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited Mar 3, 2019 3:59pm #10

My lowest score ever was a Wilson staff duo ha ha ha
    Driver - Callaway Rogue
    3w - Callaway Rogue
    5w - Callaway Rogue
    Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 578 ✭✭
    Ironically, 2 of my 3 HIOs were with TopFlite, thankfully urethane covered...well, maybe the Z-Balata wasn't urethane, don't know as long ago.

I can play any ball, I just prefer urethane covers.

Generally takes about 9 holes to learn spin, putter interaction, etc, after that I'm fine.

Recently, changed from my favorite Chrome Soft/X to Vice Pro/ProSoft, any change in score is on me.
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
    Hat Trick wrote:

I drive my self nuts on golf balls...

Up until last summer I was a V1X guy for a few years. But because I have a very, very small job in golf, I'm get a discount on TP5 balls ($31 a dozen currently). So I started playing them early last summer and after a few rounds they were really good - they were a little longer than the V1X and felt good. Maybe it was the honeymoon or just the middle of the season, but my scores were a touch lower with this ball.

My plan is to continue with it when the weather breaks testing the TP5 vs. TP5X to see if I like one better than the other. But always in the back of mind is that Titleist ball count each week!!!

Look at the winners count instead.

• Lancj1Lancj1 Posts: 883 ✭✭
    Ive settled on the "cheaper" Urethane balls. When I am playing ok and making decent contact there is no doubt even at my level (18hc) I notice the better consistency around the green. The balls I am using are Project A, AD333 Tour, Wilson DX3 Urethane and occasionally chrome softs.

I keep half a dozen DX2 Softs or similar in the bag in case it turns into a bad ball striking day, although I haven't lost a ball the last few rounds. Progress.....
    G Max Driver, Tour 65 Stiff
    G400 3 & 5 Woods Alta CB Reg
    G400 2,3,4,5 Hybrids Alta CB Reg
    G410 Irons, 6-U, Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Glide Stealth 54 (SS) & 58 (WS) Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Ping Sigma 2 Valor, Stealth

Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.
  • jmkenn0jmkenn0 Members Posts: 674 ✭✭
    My home course record is an 82 with a...... Mojo. So yeah, I'm not good enough, or consistent enough, for the ball to make that much difference. I am playing the AVX though just because it tends to negate some of my bad tendencies, as oppose to me really utilizing its abilities to score better.
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Posts: 320 ✭✭
    I've played the Bridgestone Tour B RX and Snell MTB Black interchangeably. I really can't tell much difference. I've recently started evaluating some other golf balls trying to get a little more distance by being able to compress it a little more with my slow swing speed. I've only been able to hit them indoors and putt with them but right now I'm going to evaluate the following as possible replacements for my gamers.

Callaway ERC

Bridgestone e12
  • TKSTKS Posts: 192 ✭✭
    I'm OCD on the tour level balls. 3 catagories: hard, firm, and soft. Great time to be alive! I prefer the feel of the soft balls and can adjust to all, but get more enjoyment with the soft balls for the short game. I play one ball for about a month then move on to the next. (Unless prepping for a tourney)

this years order:

1. Wilson duo professional

2. Bridgstone B RXS

3. Wilson FG Tour 2019 version

4. Newest Snell

5. Mizzy tour ball

6. Srixy ZStar

7. TP5

Which ever endeared me more gets the tourney season assignment.
    All Wishon, all the time:
    919THI 11* Black Driver, Red Shaft - S
    919F/D, Black Shaft
    775 18* hyb, Interflexx Shaft
    590 4iron, Black hybd Shaft
    5-SW Sterlings S300's
    PCF Micro 58*
    S2R #5 putter Double Bend Shaft
    Softer Urethane balls - too many to list
  • betojbetoj Members Posts: 3
    rxk9fan wrote:

Does the ball you choose (staying within subsets of like balls) make your scores go lower?

Would the winner each week on the PGA not have won if he would have been using another premium tour ball?

I agree with your premise. I too have done testing with almost every ball out there. A good player can adapt to almost any ball. Give a PGA player a few weeks to adapt to the different spin, trajectory, etc. of a different tour ball, and his scores wouldn't change on average imo.
  • reider69reider69 Members Posts: 608 ✭✭
    I use pinnacles I find on course and I use Pro-V1s I find on course. The only real difference that I notice in scoring are shots close to the green. If I even slightly blade a chip with a pinnacle it flies off the far side of the green. A good ball will check up many times on a small bladey chip. Other than that I dont mind playing either ball. If you hit the ball in the middle and compress it most any ball will do.
    Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,710 ✭✭
    Interesting subject. I have the same issue with equipment. Whether I play SGI, GI or Blades, still score the same?! image/to_become_senile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':to_become_senile:' />
    Bag under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly