ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Noise canceling headphones

slocagolferslocagolfer Advanced Members Posts: 475
I'm looking for some as I'm taking a many hours airplane trip. Do I need to spend $300 for a decent set? I see them prices from $50 on up.

Comments

• highergr0undhighergr0und Advanced Members Posts: 10,131 ✭✭
    How bothered are you by airplane noise? Is this literally a once in a blue moon trip? How else do you see yourself using them?

If it's a random trip and you don't see much other use, you may be fine with a cheaper set or even just a combo of regular headphones for consuming media and foam ear plugs for when you want to relax.
  • slocagolferslocagolfer Advanced Members Posts: 475
    My wife is going on a 16 hour plane trip (S.F. to Asia) and I'm going to South America from California (separate trips) so we'll be on a plane for quite a while. I'd like to be able to listen to music and podcasts which I can't do with regular earbuds. I wear hearing aids so there's that.
  • highergr0undhighergr0und Advanced Members Posts: 10,131 ✭✭
    Oh hearing aids may make it interesting from a fit perspective. No clue how to recommend around that except to say I chose the Bose qc35ii for the comfort. I can wear them for hours on end. You can get decent deals on them too, got mine for 265 from Mass genie
  • cdnglfcdnglf Advanced Members Posts: 3,018 ✭✭
    Faced with many, many hours of airplane travel in January and February I bought the Sony WH-900N over the ears. I’m very happy with them, and would strongly recommend them over anything non-noise cancelling. They were the Wirecutter’s pick in their most recent review, and quite a bit cheaper than the Bose model that higherground mentions ($250CAD at Costco vs $400)

Bose has been the standard for years though. I’ve read many positive reviews of them.
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Advanced Members Posts: 8,157 ✭✭
    edited March 4
    I have these and they are **** good for the price. Not a good as Bose but a better value in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.c..._ob_neva_mobile
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    G400 LST 8.5° - HZ Smoke Yellow 70x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62- S300
    Scotty Cameron X7M
    RZN Platinum
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Advanced Members Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Love my Bose. Have been worth every penny, although they are expensive. I’ve had the QC15s for almost 10 years.
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • deep18deep18 Advanced Members Posts: 1,829 ✭✭
    Bose.
  • Jc0Jc0 Advanced Members Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Get previous generation bose. They are half the price and not a very noticeable difference. The quality makes a big difference.
  • Klap0001Klap0001 Advanced Members Posts: 276 ✭✭
    I just got a pair of Sony wh-1000xm3. They're not cheap but I thought they were the best ones out right now. Sound is on par with the bose for the same price. Longer battery life and better options on them. They are fantastic. You could check out skull candy. They have a pretty good pair for $150. Best thing to do is go to an electronics store where you can try them out.
  • Klap0001Klap0001 Advanced Members Posts: 276 ✭✭
    I just got a pair of Sony wh-1000xm3. They're not cheap but I thought they were the best ones out right now. Sound is on par with the bose for the same price. Longer battery life and better options on them. They are fantastic. You could check out skull candy. They have a pretty good pair for $150. Best thing to do is go to an electronics store where you can try them out.
  • TerpFangolferTerpFangolfer Advanced Members Posts: 567
    really like my Sennheiser HD1's...reg $400, got them for $250...but I think they are discontinued.

BestBuy has the in-ear version for $200...but I got the over-the-ear
    TM R1
    TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
    Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
    Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
    Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
    Ping TR 1966 Anser2
  • theebdktheebdk Advanced Members Posts: 415 ✭✭
    I have used noise cancelling headphones for many, many years. First question to ask is do you want over the ear or in the ear? It all comes down to the space you have in your briefcase or carry on luggage. I used to be an over the ear user and tried to always find a medium sized and foldable set. I have had Sony and Sennheiser.

But last year I decided on a change. I went with the Bose Noise Cancelling Buds based on a friend's recommendation. I believe they are the Quiet Comfort @0 and cost about $250. They are very small and easy to pack. The noise cancelling level is good. The charge lasts a flight coast to coast. And if you forget to charge you can still listen to your laptop or music without the noise cancelling. And they are comfortable for an in ear bud. Recommended.
  • PreppySlapCutPreppySlapCut This is just babytown frolics... Advanced Members Posts: 6,342 ✭✭
    I have the Beats Studio 3 simply because I have all Apple electronics and the connectivity/Bluetooth is just easier.
    Ping G400 MAX 9* w/ Tour 65 (S)
    Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Tour 80 (X)
    Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Kuchar Proto 85 (X)
    Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox