ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

USGA PR team to Justin Thomas: "We need to talk"

ZNDavisZNDavis Members Posts: 20 ✭✭
"Justin, we need to talk. You’ve cancelled every meeting we’ve planned with you, but we are reaching out again. We were at the first 5 events, and tournaments last year, and your tour has had a seat at the table for 7 years. We’d love nothing more than to give you a seat. Call us."

Thoughts?
Titleist 915D2 • Titleist 915F • Ping G25 23 hybrid • Titleist T-MB 2 iron • Bridgestone J40 DPC 4 - 9 irons
Vokey SM5 46, 52 wedges • Taylormade Hi-Toe 58 wedge • Taylormade Spider Tour Red

Comments

• larciellarciel I play for eagle Advanced Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭
    If things go bad, USGA higher-ups will blame it on one Twitter handler.

• tideridertiderider Advanced Members Posts: 1,310 ✭✭
    lol ... what's there to talk about? ... half the time, it's not the rule - it's the interpretation of it, as today's latest "behind the player" incident proves ...
  • Josh L.Josh L. Advanced Members Posts: 298 ✭✭
    I'm guessing that's not a real USGA account.
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Advanced Members Posts: 3,468 ✭✭
    Josh L. wrote:

I'm guessing that's not a real USGA account.

Ya think?😂
  • b.heltsb.helts Advanced Members Posts: 2,794 ✭✭
    The GIF responses to that are awesome.

It does make JT look a bit like a ...... ****.
  • North TexasNorth Texas Advanced Members Posts: 3,878 ✭✭
    edited March 2
    b.helts wrote:

Well, he is being a bit of a ****.

But he has company among the players.
  • b.heltsb.helts Advanced Members Posts: 2,794 ✭✭

b.helts wrote:

Ha! Indeed.

Not that the mob is right very often.
    like the arnie one ... jt will respond with a gif of his own ... he likes the social media ...
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Advanced Members Posts: 4,678 ✭✭
    Bizarre. I get that the USGA might think that JT is being petty. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Their responding in the way that they seem to have done however takes them down to the same level and it's not as if the USGA needs the bad publicity.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x

At some point, the players have to take responsibility instead of blaming others.
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 4,111 ClubWRX
    ?what is this about
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: Piretti CWII
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
  • BMCBMC Advanced Members Posts: 3,453 ✭✭
    The USGA does not work for the Pro tours. Their focus is more on the amateur game. The Pro Tours are independent, money grabbing businesses whose innovation is putting cars on tee boxes and beer gardens. The Tours could and should make their own rules if they don't like them.
    Callaway Epic Flash driver
    PING Rapture 3 wood
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* hybrid
    PING Eye2 3 & 4 irons
    PING i25 irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey #1WS
    BMC wrote:

The USGA does not work for the Pro tours. Their focus is more on the amateur game. The Pro Tours are independent, money grabbing businesses whose innovation is putting cars on tee boxes and beer gardens. The Tours could and should make their own rules if they don't like them.

amateurs in competitions ... the tours will never pick up the responsibility of making their own rules ... even JT knows that's a headache ...
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,214 ✭✭
    Hard to have an opinion until I know if that’s a real USga account or not.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
    Ping i500 pre-production proto 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105X
    Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • chris975dchris975d GeorgiaClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 1,791 ClubWRX
  • DLBTide7DLBTide7 Members Posts: 62 ✭✭

b.helts wrote:

I, for one, am glad JT is being a “****”. In this country, we have not seen a level of arrogance displayed by the USGA since King George ruled the colonies.

PXG Gen2 XF Driver
    PXG Gen2 X 3 metal
    PXG Gen2 17 degree hybrid
    PXG Gen2 XF Irons, 4-Gap
    PXG milled wedges, 56 and 60
    PXG Mustang putter
    edited March 2
    DLBTide7 wrote:

b.helts wrote:

I, for one, am glad JT is being a “****”. In this country, we have not seen a level of arrogance displayed by the USGA since King George ruled the colonies.

You're right.

It was very arrogant of the USGA to expect the players to actually learn the rules they are expected to play by. And it was really arrogant of them to think that the players would not act like my 8 and 9 year old grandchildren.
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Advanced Members Posts: 2,029 ✭✭
    They've always been hyper sensitive to criticism.

Its difficult to learn a rule that is so badly written that it gets re-written (barely an improvement) only a matter of weeks after its initial rollout.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Titleist Pro V 1x
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Advanced Members Posts: 17,414

DLBTide7 wrote:

b.helts wrote:

You're right.

It was very arrogant of the USGA to expect the players to actually learn the rules they are expected to play by. And it was really arrogant of them to think that the players would not act like my 8 and 9 year old grandchildren.

All the rule changes came as such a surprise, too
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Advanced Members Posts: 4,389 ✭✭
    After watching all the Narcos series episodes, this will end only one way. JT is gone.

You can't go up against an organisation like the USGA.
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Advanced Members Posts: 5,022 ✭✭
    Even the R&A appears to side with the players, as chief executive Martin Slumbers remarked on Tuesday, “I think it's fair to say that it hasn't gone as smoothly as I would have liked," just days after USGA CEO Mike Davis said at a conference, "From my perspective, I would say by and large they’ve been a huge success."
  • dropkickeddropkicked Advanced Members Posts: 257 ✭✭
    JT has a lot of fans and followers on SM..That USGA PR, account will get smashed if they force the issue with him...
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff The GOAT Advanced Members Posts: 27,949 ✭✭
    Players need to learn the rules , and some of their complaining has been a bit childish, especially IMO as it relates to fairly inconsequential things like drop height....i mean i still don't understand why anyone cares about this enough to complain.

But i think the root cause is mostly that people like to complain about the USGA because they do many things that make you not like them. So they are an easy punching bag even when they do things that are understandable. I mean just mention USGA and "rules" in a sentence and people are going to support you, given how they have mismanaged things at big tournaments lately, and made other unpopular or controversial changes, or have threatened to.

Them tweeting at Justin Thomas like the above (even the manner it's written) just shows how out of touch they are, because someone there probably thinks this will make them look like the good guys. I don't think they even realize that tour and public sentiment seems to be largely against them, again not because of specific rule changes, but the overall bumbly-ness of their organization the past 5-10 years, and the arrogance of it's leader.
    Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV 65
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • the bishopthe bishop Advanced Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭

Even the R&A appears to side with the players, as chief executive Martin Slumbers remarked on Tuesday, "I think it's fair to say that it hasn't gone as smoothly as I would have liked," just days after USGA CEO Mike Davis said at a conference, "From my perspective, I would say by and large they've been a huge success."

Mike Davis seems to have a particular tunnel vision - Pauline Kael type syndrome - where he thinks it has been a huge success because he only surrounds himself with sycophants who tell him how great they are. He should get out more.
    W/S FG Tour F5 10.5* - Fubuki z50 - S
    W/S FG Tour F5 15* - Fubuki z65 - S
    W/S FG Tour F5 20*/23* - Fubuki z80 - S
    W/S FG Tour Forged 5-P - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    TM Spider X
  • TerpFangolferTerpFangolfer Advanced Members Posts: 567

Hard to have an opinion until I know if that's a real USga account or not.

It definitely looks legit...it's not a parody or troll account - all tweets are pretty much official info
    TM R1
    TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
    Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
    Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
    Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
    Ping TR 1966 Anser2
  • turtlekcturtlekc 1995 MN PGA WisconsinClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 12,685 ClubWRX

Even the R&A appears to side with the players, as chief executive Martin Slumbers remarked on Tuesday, "I think it's fair to say that it hasn't gone as smoothly as I would have liked," just days after USGA CEO Mike Davis said at a conference, "From my perspective, I would say by and large they've been a huge success."

LOL

You may have accidentally left an important piece of the article:

“The Rules of Golf committee at the R&A has done a lot of heavy lifting, but we’ve done it all with the tours from Day 1,” Slumbers pointed out. “And the tours sit on our Rules of Golf committee and have been involved. I think that’s important to remember. This is not just us in isolation. We do this in collaboration right across the game. But, yes, it is a lot of change. So we will continue to work closely with the tours and with the players. I remain completely committed to believing this is the right thing for the game. We will work through any further issues.
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • One PutterOne Putter Advanced Members Posts: 292
    The USGA just needs to focus on not f****** up the US Open for once
  • mackepamackepa #TheWRX Advanced Members Posts: 3,571 ✭✭
    BMC wrote:

If the USGA is focused on the amateur game they wouldn’t have made that ridiculous groove rule. That was done 100% because they hated seeing pros stop shots on a dime from thick rough. When’s the last time you’ve seen the average hack spin a ball from the rough let alone the middle of the fairway?

The USGA is out of touch
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]#TheWRX 12/11/16[/font]

Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6

Epic Flash SZ 15* AD IZ 8

Apex 20* AD DI 85

Apex Pro 19 4-PW KBS Proto

MD4 52s, 56s, 60x KBS $-Taper

Toulon Austin Longneck Garage

Jones Utility Rover

Chromesoft X
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Advanced Members Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    JT doesn't want to meet anyone. He's a petulant child. If he stopped whining he would curl up and die.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • widow-makerwidow-maker Advanced Members Posts: 1,586 ✭✭
    There's a long process that the USGA goes through before they institute a new rule. There was a long period where players could give their feedback to proposed changes, as well as all of us being able to give feedback. These rules weren't just tossed out as a surprise one day out of the blue.

The rules aren't just written for the PGA Tour players. They are written for everyone, and it's difficult to do that unambiguously. If the players didn't like the way a proposed rule was being written, then they should have spoken out through their Tour Policy Board over a year ago with their concerns. It's funny but you don't hear the compliments from the players for the rules changes concerning loose impediments, grounding, repairing spike marks, accidental moving of ball that they all seem to like just fine. Get involved in the process before changes are implemented and you don't have to be so surprised and disappointed if something gets implemented that you find you don't like. This is a situation where the Tour Policy Board could have been proactive so that individual members didn't need to be so reactive... after the fact.
  • MI517MI517 Advanced Members Posts: 436 ✭✭
    I don’t like the rules, so change the rules.

I’m 33 and that’s basically the motto of most 20-40 year olds in life now.
    Ping G400 Max Driver 9* - Ping Tour 65 X
    Callaway Epic 4 Hybrid - UST Recoil ES780 S
    Callaway Apex 21* Utility Iron - KBS TourV S
    Cobra King Forged CB/MB 4-P - KBS $-Taper Black S
    Titleist SM7 50*F, 54*F, 58*M - KBS $-Taper
    Odyssey #1Works Versa 34”
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Advanced Members Posts: 3,891 ✭✭
    MI517 wrote:

It's good to question everything.
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Advanced Members Posts: 1,792 ✭✭
    MI517 wrote:

I don't like the rules, so change the rules.

I'm 33 and that's basically the motto of most 20-40 year olds in life now.

Sure, applying sweeping generalizations are always a great argument to prove nothing.
  • MI517MI517 Advanced Members Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited March 3
    LeoLeo99 wrote:

MI517 wrote:

It's good to question everything.

It is and you should. Blind obedience is dangerous.

My statement may have been too blanket as there is nothing wrong with questioning rules or status quo. Here, I don’t believe the avenue chosen (social media) is smart. It will damage image of both sides and the game. Thomas is big enough that his voice carries weight in private, which is where it should’ve happened in my opinion.
    Ping G400 Max Driver 9* - Ping Tour 65 X
    Callaway Epic 4 Hybrid - UST Recoil ES780 S
    Callaway Apex 21* Utility Iron - KBS TourV S
    Cobra King Forged CB/MB 4-P - KBS $-Taper Black S
    Titleist SM7 50*F, 54*F, 58*M - KBS $-Taper
    Odyssey #1Works Versa 34”
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Advanced Members Posts: 4,678 ✭✭
    Wondering what the reaction would be if it was someone less controversial questioning the USGA.

After the incident at last years Honda (in which he was quite right to have the fan chucked in my opinion) he has picked up a label of being a whiner. Nothing wrong with standing up for yourself or expressing an opinion. Same old, same old though. Players are too uniform, they are too bland, they don't have an opinion. A player comes along and expresses an opinion then they end up getting ripped online.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Advanced Members Posts: 5,861
    Why doesn’t the USGA PR twitter handle have a blue mark? Talk about bad PR.
  • davep043davep043 Advanced Members Posts: 2,949 ✭✭
    DLBTide7 wrote:

b.helts wrote:

I, for one, am glad JT is being a "****". In this country, we have not seen a level of arrogance displayed by the USGA since King George ruled the colonies.

To me, JT is being the arrogant one. He's shown no indication that he has read the rules, no indication that he's looked at the reasons for the changes, he simply says that all the changes are bad.
    MattyO1984 wrote:

Wondering what the reaction would be if it was someone less controversial questioning the USGA.

After the incident at last years Honda (in which he was quite right to have the fan chucked in my opinion) he has picked up a label of being a whiner. Nothing wrong with standing up for yourself or expressing an opinion. Same old, same old though. Players are too uniform, they are too bland, they don't have an opinion. A player comes along and expresses an opinion then they end up getting ripped online.

I'd love to hear him explain WHY he hates the specific rules. If he is actually informed about the actual rules and the reasons behind them, he should show that. The problem is, its way too complicated to do in 140 characters. And sadly, the media would prefer to deal with sound bytes and twitter comments than with a substantive discussion. Even more sad, an in-depth discussion would send too many of us scrambling to find our remotes.
    edited March 3
    MattyO1984 wrote:

Imagine if Rory was to weigh in with his thoughts, it would be 10 pages of insults.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW

Titleist Pro V 1x
    edited March 3
    davep043 wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

I'd love to hear him explain WHY he hates the specific rules. If he is actually informed about the actual rules and the reasons behind them, he should show that. The problem is, its way too complicated to do in 140 characters. And sadly, the media would prefer to deal with sound bytes and twitter comments than with a substantive discussion. Even more sad, an in-depth discussion would send too many of us scrambling to find our remotes.

I think, like most golfers, he'll be in favour of the concept behind the rule but its the implementation - the rule is badly written as proven by the hasty rewrite which didn't really improve it much. Of course as you note it's difficult to glean from tweets exactly where the problem is but he has been critical of all the PGA Tour/ET violations of this rule.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW

Titleist Pro V 1x
  • nsxguynsxguy FloridaAdvanced Members Posts: 4,832 ✭✭

One might say those could simply be "cultural" differences.

Relatively speaking, Americans tend to be more effusive/"enthusiastic" than their British counterparts - who have a penchant for being a bit more reserved.
    Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Advanced Members Posts: 25,671 ✭✭
    iBanesto wrote:

After watching all the Narcos series episodes, this will end only one way. JT is gone.

You can't go up against an organisation like the USGA.

JT gotta put La Quica on the bag ; )
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Advanced Members Posts: 1,792 ✭✭
    BMC wrote:

The USGA has more $$$ behind it than the tours by a wide margin, so please spare the amateur angle.

At this point it has become a donor class organization intent on self importance fueled by more money.

The average amateur gives two whits what they do or say, because they do not play in competition nor belong to the organization.

What the average amateur does do is pay greens fees that keep courses open for everyone.

Golf can be played fairly and easily with about simple rules.
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Advanced Members Posts: 5,022 ✭✭
    edited March 3
    kevcarter wrote:

LOL

“The Rules of Golf committee at the R&A has done a lot of heavy lifting, but we’ve done it all with the tours from Day 1,” Slumbers pointed out. “And the tours sit on our Rules of Golf committee and have been involved. I think that’s important to remember. This is not just us in isolation. We do this in collaboration right across the game. But, yes, it is a lot of change. So we will continue to work closely with the tours and with the players. I remain completely committed to believing this is the right thing for the game. We will work through any further issues.

The excerpt was meant to illustrate the contrast in the differing opinions from the usga vs a more pragmatic comment from the RandA. The players whining about the drop method is just whining.

davep043 wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

I think, like most golfers, he'll be in favour of the concept behind the rule but its the implementation - the rule is badly written as proven by the hasty rewrite which didn't really improve it much. Of course as you note it's difficult to glean from tweets exactly where the problem is but he has been critical of all the PGA Tour/ET violations of this rule.

More irony.

The entire thread is about JT's tweet about the (apparent) lack of "communication". image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Nobody here, and not even JT in his tweet, has complained about a specific Rule, never mind about a Rule that has been re-written, which, to my knowledge hasn't happened to this point,,,,,,,,, except you, just now. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX

davep043 wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

Its not just one or two rules he's complaining about, JT is on record earlier in the week as saying
    [background=rgb(254, 254, 254)]“Pretty much all of them seemed like they didn’t better the game, to me,” Thomas said.[/background]
  • turtlekcturtlekc 1995 MN PGA WisconsinClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 12,685 ClubWRX

kevcarter wrote:

LOL

"The Rules of Golf committee at the R&A has done a lot of heavy lifting, but we've done it all with the tours from Day 1," Slumbers pointed out. "And the tours sit on our Rules of Golf committee and have been involved. I think that's important to remember. This is not just us in isolation. We do this in collaboration right across the game. But, yes, it is a lot of change. So we will continue to work closely with the tours and with the players. I remain completely committed to believing this is the right thing for the game. We will work through any further issues."

The excerpt was meant to illustrate the contrast in the differing opinions from the usga vs a more pragmatic comment from the RandA. The players whining about the drop method is just whining.

Got it, correct answer to a different question. Optimism vs. realism. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> I appreciate the clarification. Enjoy the tournament today, hopefully no issues besides great golf.

Cheers!
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
    edited March 3
    nsxguy wrote:

davep043 wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

More irony.

The entire thread is about JT's tweet about the (apparent) lack of "communication". image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Nobody here, and not even JT in his tweet, has complained about a specific Rule, never mind about a Rule that has been re-written, which, to my knowledge hasn't happened to this point,,,,,,,,, except you, just now. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

As I noted he tweeted on all instances of "caddy lining up" violation involving Haotong Li, McCarthy and Schenk.

The USGA called it a clarification but it was rewritten, the new rule came into effect immediately.

https://eu.usatoday....ayers/39017977/
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW

Titleist Pro V 1x
    edited March 3
    davep043 wrote:

davep043 wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

Its not just one or two rules he's complaining about, JT is on record earlier in the week as saying
    [background=rgb(254, 254, 254)]“Pretty much all of them seemed like they didn’t better the game, to me,” Thomas said.[/background]

I'm talking about the tweet about Schenk. He also tweeted about Haotong Li and McCarthy in Phoenix.

I don't get/agree with his sweeping quote about all the rules and I hadn't noticed that previously. I definitely see the value in a lot of these rules.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW

Titleist Pro V 1x

nsxguy wrote:

davep043 wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

More irony.

As I noted he tweeted on all instances of "caddy lining up" violation involving Haotong Li, McCarthy and Schenk.

The USGA called it as clarification but it was rewritten, the new rule can into effect immediately.

True, I think the Ruling Bodies (the R&A is involved too) acted pretty quickly to make a reasonable clarification. The clarification also gave the players an "out" that they didn't have before, made the rule more lenient. Yet JT continued to complain about the rule. Honestly, I'd like to hear what he thinks of Cameron Tringale right now.

nsxguy wrote:

davep043 wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

More irony.

The USGA called it a clarification but it was rewritten, the new rule came into effect immediately.

More irony.

The entire thread is about the "communication" (or the lack thereof) tweet by JT.

You noted "he tweeted on all instances of "caddy lining up" violation involving Haotong Li, McCarthy and Schenk" ??? I must have missed that. Which post was that in ?

The USGA AND the R&A jointly called it a clarification. You're calling it a new Rule. So which is it ?

According to the link you posted, a newspaper article apparently quoting the AP from Feb 6th; more than 3 weeks ago and was already properly(?) discussed here.

Always a pleasure. image/hi.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':hi:' />
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX