ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Who DESIGNS the Maxfli golf balls?

gloferglofer Members Posts: 12
Does anyone know who actually DESIGNS the Maxfli golf balls?

Some premium/tour urethane golf balls are designed (if not manufactured) by the branded name (e.g Titleist, Bridgestone, Callaway, TaylorMade, Snell).

Some premium/tour urethane golf balls use third-party designs (e.g. Vice, Cut, MG, Kirkland, and most of the direct-to-consumer balls) and simply re-badge.

I know the Maxfli brand history with TaylorMade (I saw on another thread here that most of the Maxfli IP stayed with TM) and that ****'s Sporting Goods currently manufactures Maxfli (or has the ball manufactured for them).

This question is about design (not manufacturing).

Which category are the Maxfli UFli Speed, UFli Soft, new Tour and new Tour X golf balls in: in-house design or third-party design?

Comments

• the bishopthe bishop Advanced Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭
    My guess would be manufactured to customer spec. ****'s/Golf Galaxy/Golfworks is big enough to sell enough golf balls to have their own ball engineer. He can design a spec and then they probably work with whoever makes them to work through prototyping to release.
    W/S FG Tour F5 10.5* - Fubuki z50 - S
    W/S FG Tour F5 15* - Fubuki z65 - S
    W/S FG Tour F5 20*/23* - Fubuki z80 - S
    W/S FG Tour Forged 5-P - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    TM Spider X
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Advanced Members Posts: 1,167
    Max.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Advanced Members Posts: 1,984 ✭✭
    Dunlop used to be in the mix. If ****’s owns them I’d say the same folks that design Topflite do Maxfli as well.
  • ClafooneClafoone Hobbyist Advanced Members Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Foremost Golf manufactures the Maxfli Tour and Tour X.

Their website implies they also design, with collaboration between their Taiwan and US based R&D teams.

www.fgm.com.tw

Randy
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra F-Max: 10.5[/font]°
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Maltby UFW: bent to 17[/font]°
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Snake Eyes Quick Strike II: 19° & 23°[/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Maltby KE4 U30: 5 - GW[/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cleveland Rotex 2.0 CB Black Satin: 54° & 58[/font]°
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping Karsten TR Anser 5[/font]
  • gloferglofer Members Posts: 12
    So, no one knows definitively if the Maxfli UFli Speed, UFli Soft, new Tour and new Tour X golf balls are in-house designs or third-party designs?
  • ClafooneClafoone Hobbyist Advanced Members Posts: 100 ✭✭
    You might want to give them (Dicks Sporting Goods) a call. I'm sure they could provide you with the info.

Or possibly contact the manufacturer and ask if they design them.

Randy
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra F-Max: 10.5[/font]°
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Maltby UFW: bent to 17[/font]°
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Snake Eyes Quick Strike II: 19° & 23°[/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Maltby KE4 U30: 5 - GW[/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cleveland Rotex 2.0 CB Black Satin: 54° & 58[/font]°
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping Karsten TR Anser 5[/font]
  • the bishopthe bishop Advanced Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭
    glofer wrote:

So, no one knows definitively if the Maxfli UFli Speed, UFli Soft, new Tour and new Tour X golf balls are in-house designs or third-party designs?

Yeah. It looks that way.
    W/S FG Tour F5 10.5* - Fubuki z50 - S
    W/S FG Tour F5 15* - Fubuki z65 - S
    W/S FG Tour F5 20*/23* - Fubuki z80 - S
    W/S FG Tour Forged 5-P - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    TM Spider X
  • ShilgyShilgy Advanced Members Posts: 11,096 ✭✭

Max.
    Marty's brother? Max McFly?
    PING G400 LST Alta CB 55s
    TM M1 3w 14* Graphite Design BB7s
    TM M2 5w 18* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8S or Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
    Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
    Srixon Z585 5 & 6 Nippon Pro Modus 125S
    Srixon Z785 7-PW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
    Vokey SZM7 50°
    Cleveland RTX4 S400TI raw 56° & 60°
    Toulon Garage Rochester flow neck H5/ Toulon Rochester stock

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Advanced Members Posts: 879 ✭✭
    Shilgy wrote:

Max.
    Marty's brother? Max McFly?

No. This guy

image.jpg
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Advanced Members Posts: 1,467 ✭✭
    I do not know who designs Maxfli balls but I suspect that Dicks farms it out since they do not design and make golf balls as their main business. Whoever is designing them has done a great job going back to the U/2, U3, U4, and U6, as well as the UFli and Softfli series. And now they have released a new set of tour balls. Many of their designs are awarded "gold" ratings by golf digest but their marketing strategy is suspect in my opinion. They seem to have a hair-trigger on golf balls that do not meet sales goals or profitability and when they have a winner (Top-Flite Gamer) they discontinue it for no apparent reason. The Maxfli U/3 was one of the best balls I have ever played as well as the Gamer V2 and Soft. I currently play the Softfli's along with a couple of other brands and think they are as good or better than the Callaway Supersoft but I try not to get too attached to them.

Dicks has no middleman and does not sponsor tour pros so they can sell the golf balls at bargain prices. They also have limited availability (DSG, Golg Galaxy, and Rock Bottom) which turns people off and has to hurt their sales numbers. But the designers of their golf balls do a terrific job.