ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Scanning multiple targets with a laser rangefinder

I am in the market for my first laser rangefinder. When I demoed several models at the local store, there is one feature that I am wondering about. When I attempted to "scan" multiple targets for their respective distances (as I may on the golf course, for example front bunker carry distance, flag distance, back water distance), with some laser rangefinders (e.g. Callaway) I could simply move to each target in rapid succession, getting these different distance quickly, but with some (Bushnell, Nikon) I had to release the button/target, re-depress/re-acquire, then repeat for each distance, taking a longer overall time.

The higher-end LRFs with more advanced target locking seemed to fall into the latter category. Is there a way with the Bushnell Pro X2 or V4 or Nikon Pro Stabilized to rapidly scan multiple targets? Thank you.

Comments

• cristphotocristphoto Advanced Members Posts: 3,276
    I have a Bushnell V4 and my workaround is to simply tap the power button twice. This resets the laser for another reading. Granted you can’t simply sweep the course and get continual updates but this really isn’t what the golfer typically needs. With Bushnell technology (and probably others as mentioned) to lock on a reading you simply aim at your target (flag stick) and briefly sweep left/ right once or twice and the reading is locked. Thus you don’t have to worry about shaky hands or pinpointing a flag reflector. I use mine one-handed all the time and it only takes a second or two to get a reliable reading.
  • Stuart G.Stuart G. Members, Advanced Members Posts: 22,640 ✭✭
    That type of functionality is what I like about my older Nikon/Callaway LR550 range finder.

And it's only the Nikon's that I've seen do this.

I suspect that it's generally considered a less user-friendly mode as most golfers typically want to lock onto a single target - and an unsteady hand could result in the distance numbers changing when the user wasn't trying to scan different target - resulting in some confusion and uncertainty.
  • nsxguynsxguy FloridaAdvanced Members Posts: 4,832 ✭✭
    glofer wrote:

I am in the market for my first laser rangefinder. When I demoed several models at the local store, there is one feature that I am wondering about. When I attempted to "scan" multiple targets for their respective distances (as I may on the golf course, for example front bunker carry distance, flag distance, back water distance), with some laser rangefinders (e.g. Callaway) I could simply move to each target in rapid succession, getting these different distance quickly, but with some (Bushnell, Nikon) I had to release the button/target, re-depress/re-acquire, then repeat for each distance, taking a longer overall time.

The higher-end LRFs with more advanced target locking seemed to fall into the latter category. Is there a way with the Bushnell Pro X2 or V4 or Nikon Pro Stabilized to rapidly scan multiple targets? Thank you.

I'm pretty sure the Nikon PS does this.

I find the feature somewhat useful but not worth a really big premium all other things being equal. I find it's mostly useful for shooting the flag and one other thing nearby; most often the bunker nearest it. That said, it's not that big of a deal to simply shoot the bunker separately - hence my caution of it not being worth a whole lot more - more of a nice to have.

It's probably more useful on a strange course where you can shoot multiple targets from the tee to get the shape of the shot or just know whether something is in play or not.

So I guess, net-net, if I played a lot of different courses I'd probably want it. If I play the same course(s) most of the time, no biggie.
    Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
  • cwglumcwglum Advanced Members Posts: 1,550 ✭✭
    leupold Gx-3i has this feature. "Scan Mode"