Scanning multiple targets with a laser rangefinder

I am in the market for my first laser rangefinder. When I demoed several models at the local store, there is one feature that I am wondering about. When I attempted to "scan" multiple targets for their respective distances (as I may on the golf course, for example front bunker carry distance, flag distance, back water distance), with some laser rangefinders (e.g. Callaway) I could simply move to each target in rapid succession, getting these different distance quickly, but with some (Bushnell, Nikon) I had to release the button/target, re-depress/re-acquire, then repeat for each distance, taking a longer overall time.



The higher-end LRFs with more advanced target locking seemed to fall into the latter category. Is there a way with the Bushnell Pro X2 or V4 or Nikon Pro Stabilized to rapidly scan multiple targets? Thank you.

Comments

  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,296 ✭✭
    I have a Bushnell V4 and my workaround is to simply tap the power button twice. This resets the laser for another reading. Granted you can’t simply sweep the course and get continual updates but this really isn’t what the golfer typically needs. With Bushnell technology (and probably others as mentioned) to lock on a reading you simply aim at your target (flag stick) and briefly sweep left/ right once or twice and the reading is locked. Thus you don’t have to worry about shaky hands or pinpointing a flag reflector. I use mine one-handed all the time and it only takes a second or two to get a reliable reading.
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,893 ✭✭
    That type of functionality is what I like about my older Nikon/Callaway LR550 range finder.



    And it's only the Nikon's that I've seen do this.



    I suspect that it's generally considered a less user-friendly mode as most golfers typically want to lock onto a single target - and an unsteady hand could result in the distance numbers changing when the user wasn't trying to scan different target - resulting in some confusion and uncertainty.
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,312 ✭✭
    glofer wrote:


    I am in the market for my first laser rangefinder. When I demoed several models at the local store, there is one feature that I am wondering about. When I attempted to "scan" multiple targets for their respective distances (as I may on the golf course, for example front bunker carry distance, flag distance, back water distance), with some laser rangefinders (e.g. Callaway) I could simply move to each target in rapid succession, getting these different distance quickly, but with some (Bushnell, Nikon) I had to release the button/target, re-depress/re-acquire, then repeat for each distance, taking a longer overall time.



    The higher-end LRFs with more advanced target locking seemed to fall into the latter category. Is there a way with the Bushnell Pro X2 or V4 or Nikon Pro Stabilized to rapidly scan multiple targets? Thank you.




    I'm pretty sure the Nikon PS does this.



    I find the feature somewhat useful but not worth a really big premium all other things being equal. I find it's mostly useful for shooting the flag and one other thing nearby; most often the bunker nearest it. That said, it's not that big of a deal to simply shoot the bunker separately - hence my caution of it not being worth a whole lot more - more of a nice to have.



    It's probably more useful on a strange course where you can shoot multiple targets from the tee to get the shape of the shot or just know whether something is in play or not.



    So I guess, net-net, if I played a lot of different courses I'd probably want it. If I play the same course(s) most of the time, no biggie.

    ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

    Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • cwglumcwglum Members Posts: 1,554 ✭✭
    leupold Gx-3i has this feature. "Scan Mode"
  • bobverazbobveraz Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

    Nikon Pro Stabilized has the scan function and it works well. I also like the lock-on functionality.

  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers Posts: 2,276 ✭✭

    I just tap on the targets, having said that my laser is 10 years old. I am happy but just ordered the Bushnell XE - hopefully so much quicker!

    • Taylormade M3 8.5* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M2 Tour 14* Speeder TS 8.2X
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,296 ✭✭

    @scott_Donald said:
    I just tap on the targets, having said that my laser is 10 years old. I am happy but just ordered the Bushnell XE - hopefully so much quicker!

    When I changed from the V2 to the V4 Bushnell I noticed a big difference and those two technologies were maybe 5 years apart. A 10 year difference should be huge.

  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers Posts: 2,276 ✭✭

    @cristphoto said:

    @scott_Donald said:
    I just tap on the targets, having said that my laser is 10 years old. I am happy but just ordered the Bushnell XE - hopefully so much quicker!

    When I changed from the V2 to the V4 Bushnell I noticed a big difference and those two technologies were maybe 5 years apart. A 10 year difference should be huge.

    Hopefully, actuallyy looking forward too the laser, I am that sad! plus I am playing today for last time with the old laser and it is saying low battery so hopefully it lasts the round!

    • Taylormade M3 8.5* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M2 Tour 14* Speeder TS 8.2X
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • swgolferswgolfer GoLow2 Members Posts: 308 ✭✭

    Take a look at the Golf Buddy LR7 or their new model, has the Scan mode which allows you to move around for 10 seconds multi firing yardages.....and save yourself a $100 bill or more over Bushnell.

  • jasonp87jasonp87 Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭

    Golf buddys have 3 modes usually

    Normal Scan and PinSeek or some variation of it.

    I had one theyre great but that scan function is useless. I would just always use the lock mode and repress the button.

    Driver
    TM M3 (8.5) Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 6X 45"
    3W
    TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
    5W
    TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
    3i
    TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
    Irons
    Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
    Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
    Putter
    TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR
Sign In or Register to comment.