Tiger WD’s from Bay Hill

12345679»

Comments

• new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,382 ✭✭
    agolf1 wrote:

I'm glad Tiger is playing this week, but I got to wonder about how accurate the "no long-term concerns" assessment is? Not saying he will be "done" at some point, but at best it seems like this will be a regularly occurring issue and is more than the normal bumps and pains a 43 year old experiences. As mentioned by others, he had the tape on his neck at the Open, and went on to do just fine at the PGA / Tour Championship, so he may still look very very good in stretches. But being great for an extended period may be tough.

https://www.golfchan...uct-back-fusion

Woods explained Tuesday that the issues with his neck are indeed related to his surgically fused back. Because his back is fused, “the stress has to go somewhere” in his body. He says he experienced similar flare-ups last year during the FedExCup Playoffs and at the Open Championship, where he was first spotted sporting KT tape under his collar.

He stressed that there are no long-term concerns.

“To my neck? No. It's more so just my lower back,” he said. “I've got to keep that moving, even though it's fixed. I've got to keep all the other structures pliable. And that's one of the issues of having a procedure like I did, that the forces have to go somewhere. I've got to stay fit, I've got to stay on it, and have to stay as loose as I possibly can for as long as I play out here.”

We are all potentially one golf swing away from an injury that takes us out of the game. Tiger was accurate in his answer, the fused area of his back places stress on other parts so he has to be more diligent with his conditioning to ensure they are able to handle that stress but there aren't any guarantees for him or any of us.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 794 ✭✭
    new2g0lf wrote:

agolf1 wrote:

I'm glad Tiger is playing this week, but I got to wonder about how accurate the "no long-term concerns" assessment is? Not saying he will be "done" at some point, but at best it seems like this will be a regularly occurring issue and is more than the normal bumps and pains a 43 year old experiences. As mentioned by others, he had the tape on his neck at the Open, and went on to do just fine at the PGA / Tour Championship, so he may still look very very good in stretches. But being great for an extended period may be tough.

Woods explained Tuesday that the issues with his neck are indeed related to his surgically fused back. Because his back is fused, “the stress has to go somewhere” in his body. He says he experienced similar flare-ups last year during the FedExCup Playoffs and at the Open Championship, where he was first spotted sporting KT tape under his collar.

“To my neck? No. It's more so just my lower back,” he said. “I've got to keep that moving, even though it's fixed. I've got to keep all the other structures pliable. And that's one of the issues of having a procedure like I did, that the forces have to go somewhere. I've got to stay fit, I've got to stay on it, and have to stay as loose as I possibly can for as long as I play out here.”

We are all potentially one golf swing away from an injury that takes us out of the game. Tiger was accurate in his answer, the fused area of his back places stress on other parts so he has to be more diligent with his conditioning to ensure they are able to handle that stress but there aren't any guarantees for him or any of us.

Maybe. But I'm not sure this is the same "equal odds for all" as saying any NFL QB is one hit away from being done.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,382 ✭✭
    agolf1 wrote:

new2g0lf wrote:

agolf1 wrote:

Maybe. But I'm not sure this is the same "equal odds for all" as saying any NFL QB is one hit away from being done.

I offset the odds based on Tiger being in much better shape than most golfers.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • Ignatius ReillyIgnatius Reilly Members Posts: 403 ✭✭
    Woods' long history with injuries, and now the idea that the fusing is putting new forces in different parts of his ever-aging body is not great. It all adds up over time. Bad knees mean more stresses on your back. Bad back - put the stress on your neck. Bad neck? Running out of real estate......

As for him being in better shape than most, part of his injury problems are probably because of that. He's put his body through a lot of stresses in doing that.

Were they unnecessary stresses? Probably, although it seemed to work out for him for a while. Quite a while.

He can still win, as we saw last year, but I think they're going to be infrequent from now on.
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members Posts: 2,156 ✭✭
    I think he should do endurance training now more than strength training. Fast paced circuit training and lots of stretching would do him good, put the free weights down.
    '16 M2 10.5*, Diamana Ltd. 70 S+ 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, DIamana Ltd. 70 S+ 41.5"
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)