Ebay Fees, Wow

Comments

• ntwuscntwusc Members Posts: 126 ✭✭
    How are eBay's seller fees surprising to anyone in 2019? If you don't want to pay fees, list your stuff on Facebook Marketplace and deal with the horrible search functionality, tire kickers, and lowballers.
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,196 ✭✭
    There are some things that just dont move on the BST unless you essentially give them away. If its more than 1 to 2 seasons old or a niche item, you will get peanuts for it on here. That is where ebay comes into play. Not only that, anything sold on ebay will typically go higher than something sold here, so it sort of evens out with the 10% hit
  • JaNelson38JaNelson38 Members Posts: 2,623 ✭✭
    edited Mar 5, 2019 12:13pm #34

I sold a set of irons on eBay for $355 and just paid eBay $38.27 in fees. No wonder know one wants to sell there. 10% is criminal

Not trying to be flippant, but ebay is not doing anything different than what retail or grocery stores do when they mark up merchandise in order to make a profit. And a lot of the time those markups are much, much more than 10%.

To be honest, I dont think 10% is out of line. You are using their website to sell your stuff. All you have to provide is a description and some pictures. Everything else is taken care of, from the web hosting (which is a huge deal that people love to just gloss over as if it doesnt cost anything) to the bidding process to the checkout. And PayPal makes collecting your money a snap.

When I sell anything on ebay, Im not looking to make money, as a poster above said. Im just looking to get some money back for stuff I don't use anymore.
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Members Posts: 3,699 ✭✭
    I may be wrong in this line of thinking, but my biggest problem with the eBay fee is what does it do for the seller? What protection does the 10% get us? It’s beuatoful on ebays behalf because there is zero liability for them and they reap the rewards regardless. Although I might be wrong and if I am please say so, but for 10% they need to do something to protect the seller.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,169 ✭✭
    edited Mar 5, 2019 2:08pm #36
    Sorry for my unfiltered and perhaps rude opinion, but some of you guys are whining sniveling fools.

10% to eBay is certainly a fair price to pay for the MASSIVE amount of potential customers your ad is exposed to.

BST here is getting to be like Craigslist. A bunch of tightass tire kickers and flippers looking for a giveaway. No matter what the price is it’s never low enough.

Last month I offer the exact slightly rare shaft someone is looking for in pristine untipped condition. His offer is absurd. I counter offer to go down on my price to the lowest on this site and lower than the lowest on eBay, and as low as the lowest it has sold on EBay in the last 6 months by doing a historical “sold search”. And the “buyer” doesn’t even have the basic courtesy to respond to my counter.. It’s freaking disgusting and it happens constantly. This is obviously only the most recent example.

I’m happy to sell on eBay compared to here. List it and forget about it. I rarely even bother to list here anymore unless it is super current and super “hot”.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,355 ClubWRX
    And to the point of sellers having no footing is not true, here is a story that can bring some hope to us sellers. I Sold a guy a putter not too long ago. I get a freeze on the money in my paypal account after the buyer puts in a dispute for the purchase of my putter. After having the putter for 9 days he sends me a message stating that the condition of the putter does not match my description. Too funny as my pictures are pretty spot on almost Playboy like. So the buyer sends me an ultimatum saying that if I didnt refund most of his money that he would continue with the dispute. I was so pissed as a seller that I called ebay right away wanting to file a fraud case against the buyer. I had my pictures that I had posted as well as the dialogue with the buyer saying how happy he was to receive the putter and cant wait to putt with it. Too funny. Well guess what? Ebay sides with me and says that the freeze on the money in my paypal account will be returned and the buyer was pissed that he did not get the return policy fall in his favor. He proceeds to put a negative review for me and sure enough I call ebay and they wipe that off as well. As a seller, there is some good that happens, but most of the time they will side with the buyer. For me, always protect yourself the best you can.
    Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB 50/54/60 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Taylor Made Ghost Long Hosel DA22
    Vice Pro +
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Members Posts: 3,699 ✭✭
    llewol007 wrote:

And to the point of sellers having no footing is not true, here is a story that can bring some hope to us sellers. I Sold a guy a putter not too long ago. I get a freeze on the money in my paypal account after the buyer puts in a dispute for the purchase of my putter. After having the putter for 9 days he sends me a message stating that the condition of the putter does not match my description. Too funny as my pictures are pretty spot on almost Playboy like. So the buyer sends me an ultimatum saying that if I didnt refund most of his money that he would continue with the dispute. I was so pissed as a seller that I called ebay right away wanting to file a fraud case against the buyer. I had my pictures that I had posted as well as the dialogue with the buyer saying how happy he was to receive the putter and cant wait to putt with it. Too funny. Well guess what? Ebay sides with me and says that the freeze on the money in my paypal account will be returned and the buyer was pissed that he did not get the return policy fall in his favor. He proceeds to put a negative review for me and sure enough I call ebay and they wipe that off as well. As a seller, there is some good that happens, but most of the time they will side with the buyer. For me, always protect yourself the best you can.

That’s a great positive story amongst the many bad tales of eBay. It’s refreshing to see that it happens every once in a while.
  • OLD_BONESOLD_BONES PingMan Chico, CAClubWRX Posts: 1,804 ✭✭
    It's always hard looking at the bottom line after fees, shipping and PayPal but at least you get hundreds of eyeballs on your item. I always feel that if I'm willing to sell something its better to have a few bucks in my PayPal account than a club sitting in the garage.
  • TNGolfGeekTNGolfGeek Members Posts: 59 ✭✭
    To those kvetching about the eBay fee, I consider 10% a real bargain. As a comparison, Apple collects 30% of all app sales revenue on the App Store, in addition to $99/yr to be an official developer/seller (not to mention Uncle Sam's share). Whine if you must, but eBay is taking care of a lot of your overhead/hosting/headaches for a relatively low cost IMHO.
  • sandtrapsandtrap Members Posts: 804 ✭✭
    I pay $400 to $600 a month in ebay fees. $300 for the store as I have 600 items. It’s a lot but I don’t have to pay for a store front and it’s really the only game in town.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,169 ✭✭
    sandtrap wrote:

I pay $400 to $600 a month in ebay fees. $300 for the store as I have 600 items. It’s a lot but I don’t have to pay for a store front and it’s really the only game in town.

I checked out your site. Interesting collection of stuff. Where do you get it all? Are you a garage sale/estate sale guy? Regular Thrift shop shopper?
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • jschwarbjschwarb Members Posts: 738 ✭✭
    And another thing about eBay that makes it worth every cent in fees -- EVERYTHING reasonable sells eventually. "Reasonable" is the key word, both for condition and price, but it's really true. Set fair prices and take offers if you can, and relax. Someone will take your stuff. Last week I sold something that had been on eBay for more than a year. And it's not my livelihood, so I'm content to wait.
  • Bad9Bad9 Members Posts: 4,179 ✭✭
    Given that Ebay opens you up to a worldwide market of millions I don't think their fees are ridiculous. They have to establish and maintain a worldwide network of servers, network access, staff, etc and make a profit. LI don't sell much stuff but like others I have found the BST and other free online sales avenues difficult to make a sale on but stuff almost always sells on Ebay. Its almost easier just to trade stuff in when a trade in bonus is on rather than selling.
    Ping G400 10.5°/Xcaliber SL r flex
    Callaway Heavenwood Xcaliber SL r flex
    Maltby KE4 Tour 25°/Xcaliber HY r flex

Maltby KE4 Tour 28°/Xcaliber HY r flex
    Ping I200 5-G/CFS70 r flex
    Maltby Tricept 54°/Xcaliber r flex
    Maltby Tricept 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
    jschwarb wrote:

And another thing about eBay that makes it worth every cent in fees -- EVERYTHING reasonable sells eventually. "Reasonable" is the key word, both for condition and price, but it's really true. Set fair prices and take offers if you can, and relax. Someone will take your stuff. Last week I sold something that had been on eBay for more than a year. And it's not my livelihood, so I'm content to wait.

So true. I had a 25 year old daiwa 2 iron listed on there as a permanently renewing listing. I started at $30 then lowered it a couple bucks every few months. It finally sold 10 months later at $17 plus $12 shipping. I know some people wouldn’t even bother but it Wasn’t doing me any good sitting in the basement. I imagine it made someone happy.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • PALS-SSAPALS-SSA Members Posts: 279 ✭✭
    edited Mar 5, 2019 2:35pm #46
    It sounds like a lot of people are disappointed that their "investments" aren't paying the dividends they thought they would.

These are used golf clubs. And the OEMs are putting out more product every year. Ho-ing is an expensive hobby and shouldn't ever be considered a business.

Or, go take the trade in values at your local golf store.
  • GoIrish17GoIrish17 Members Posts: 5,532 ✭✭
    Shipwreck wrote:

llewol007 wrote:

That’s a great positive story amongst the many bad tales of eBay. It’s refreshing to see that it happens every once in a while.

It happens more than once in a while. I’ve had a few **** buyers try to pull fast ones after a sale. My listings provide ample photos and descriptions. I don’t overrate item conditions and I make sure to provide details and photos of any obvious damage or alterations from stock. Out of maybe 7-8 disputes, I’ve only had eBay find in favor of the buyer once. And, that was the first time it happened, and my listing was not as detailed as I make them now. I considered it a learning experience.

Just remember, you only hear about the horror stories on eBay here, and you are probably not getting all of the relavent details of these transactions either - just the details to swing you over to the person complaining’s side.
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5° | Evenflow HC Black 65
    vs.
    Cobra F9 9° | Atmos Tour Spec Black 6
    Fairway: M4 Tour 15° | Kuro Kage XT 70
    Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot Pro 18° | Speeder HB 8.8
    Driving Iron: Apex X-Forged Utility 21° | AD-DI 105
    Irons: Srixon 785 5-pw | Recoil 110
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 raw 48° F (Handground S), 54° S, 58° V | KBS 610
    Putter: Tad Moore Pro 1S prototype
    Putter: Scotty AOP Newport oil can
    Putter: Piretti Potenza II black 
    Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 oil can

WITB:
    http://www.golfwrx.c...sh17s-new-witb/
  • Bad9Bad9 Members Posts: 4,179 ✭✭
    GoIrish17 wrote:

Just remember, you only hear about the horror stories on eBay here, and you are probably not getting all of the relavent details of these transactions either - just the details to swing you over to the person complaining’s side.

So true. I said recently in one of these recent similar threads, there are as many deadbeat buyers out there as crooked sellers.
    Ping G400 10.5°/Xcaliber SL r flex
    Callaway Heavenwood Xcaliber SL r flex
    Maltby KE4 Tour 25°/Xcaliber HY r flex

Maltby KE4 Tour 28°/Xcaliber HY r flex
    Ping I200 5-G/CFS70 r flex
    Maltby Tricept 54°/Xcaliber r flex
    Maltby Tricept 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • g-offg-off Members Posts: 315 ✭✭
    PALS-SSA wrote:

It sounds like a lot of people are disappointed that their "investments" aren't paying the dividends they thought they would.

These are used golf clubs. And the OEMs are putting out more product every year. Ho-ing is an expensive hobby and shouldn't ever be considered a business.

Or, go take the trade in values at your local golf store.

this!!!!!

took some stuff that didn't move on the bay and traded it in at local store and got $400 in credit and paid a bit more for a new epic flash. First thing I listed on bst was hit with member for 10 years and 0 feedback no thanks! Same guy came back later and lowballed the **** out of me so everywhere has goods and bads
    epic flash driver

steelhead xr heavenwood

steelhead xr 9 wood

hogan ft worth hi 22

edel sls 01 5-s

hogan tk 58

putter rotates daily

always hoing the next best thing
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,620 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 5, 2019 5:07pm #50
    Shipwreck wrote:

llewol007 wrote:

What Shipwreck said!

Although probably the real story is llewol007 probaly had sellers remorse and tried to buy it back! Right L?😀 (Just an inside joke about a set of irons that made its way between us). It really is good that once in a while the right thing does happen.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Pace of PlayPace of Play Members Posts: 282 ✭✭

I prefer not to use ebay more so because of the end of month paypal hit--I wish they would hit my account as I collect the money. Here I get what I get. I have come to the realization that having something that I don't use sitting in my garage provides no value or benefit what so ever so anything I can get for it on BST is a plus.

I have a job. I don't try to make money on golf club transactions. Almost everything you buy depreciates in value. Kind of like gambling only spend what you can afford to lose.

You can pay the ebay fee right away if you go into your ebay account under fees and make a "one time payment" instead of having to wait for the end of the month ebay invoice. The amount get posted right after the sale so you know how much you owe.
    edited Mar 5, 2019 8:34pm #52

Shipwreck wrote:

llewol007 wrote:

What Shipwreck said!

Although probably the real story is llewol007 probaly had sellers remorse and tried to buy it back! Right L?😀 (Just an inside joke about a set of irons that made its way between us). It really is good that once in a while the right thing does happen.
    😂😂 No doubt. Grass is never greener on the other side if you cleaned your clubs once in a while. 🤔
    Vice Pro +
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,282 ✭✭
    Ebay overall is 13% (paypal included as Ebay owns paypal). If it's a good item, i'll sell it here or sometimes ebay. If it's something that doesn't have a ton of value i'll trade it in on the 50% trade in bonus days with Callaway or a local golf galaxy.
    Callaway Flash SZ 9* / ROGUE 130msi Silver 70TX
    Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
    J13 wrote:

Ebay overall is 13% (paypal included as Ebay owns paypal). If it's a good item, i'll sell it here or sometimes ebay. If it's something that doesn't have a ton of value i'll trade it in on the 50% trade in bonus days with Callaway or a local golf galaxy.
    I will sell on both because the reach of eBay is just to large not to take advantage of it. If it's something I'm will to count a loss against I will sell it on eBay. I know the club junkies on here are looking for great stuff at a fair price. Doesn't have to be dirt cheap but we know the quality is much better.
    Vice Pro +
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,196 ✭✭
    edited Mar 5, 2019 9:12pm #55
    Had to post this.

21-Much-Wow-Dog-Meme.jpg
    edited Mar 5, 2019 9:40pm #56
    J13 wrote:

eBay actually does not own PayPal anymore. They split in 2014. They are completely separate entities now. That’s actually why they have recently been trying very hard to move away from PayPal transactions.. Now they want to take some of PayPals fees for themselves.

There was a whole thread on it a month or two ago.

They are starting with encouraging the high volume sellers using perks and then eventually everyone else.

Here’s a brief article on eBay trying to move away from PayPal.

https://www.recode.net/2018/1/31/16957212/ebay-adyen-paypal-payments-agreement
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,282 ✭✭
    interesting thanks for the info
    Callaway Flash SZ 9* / ROGUE 130msi Silver 70TX
    Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,783 ✭✭
    TNGolfGeek wrote:

To those kvetching about the eBay fee, I consider 10% a real bargain. As a comparison, Apple collects 30% of all app sales revenue on the App Store, in addition to $99/yr to be an official developer/seller (not to mention Uncle Sam's share). Whine if you must, but eBay is taking care of a lot of your overhead/hosting/headaches for a relatively low cost IMHO.

I tend to agree. As with everything else, the higher value items subsidize the lower value items. A $5 headcover isn't any more expensive for them to host than a $500 headcover, but if they charged a fixed fee based on their costs that $5 headcover would cost more and not be competitively priced, which reduces the number of listings, transactions, and the amount of traffic to the site.

Paying 50 cents in fees on a $5 item doesn't seem like much because it's pocket change, but paying substantially more in fees for a similar item definitely can feel excessive.
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~  JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~  SeeMore FGP2
    6 club minimalist: Cobra King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ SeeMore FGP2 ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • swgolf12swgolf12 Members Posts: 876 ✭✭
    rynobucket wrote:

With my experience selling, I normally can get 15-20% higher sales price on Ebay than anywhere else (including the BST). Therefore, I am willing to suck it up and pay the fees to have more eyes looking at and bidding on my stuff.

It's funny how most people on here claim to hit it 400 yards, need XX stiff shafts, tour only putters, but are all dead broke when it comes to buying things listed on the BST. Found it's not really worth the trouble of listing everything, i'll only put stuff on BST if I have downtime at work.
      • 16' M2 8.5* TPT 14 Proto
      • LTD 14.5* Matrix 8M2
      • Vapor Fly Pro 3
      • Titleist T-MB 4
      • VR Forged 5-9
      • SM5 46*
      • SSC Don White Grind 53/58
      • PM Grind 64
      • Studio Design 1.5 Circle T
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Check out their annual revenue and earnings. It's no wonder.
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    The Perfect Club 21*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    PING Eye 2 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback
  • Mr. HoganMr. Hogan Members Posts: 1,294 ✭✭
    I gladly pay 10% to ebay because my equipment sells for much more there than here on BST. I don't even waste my time selling things on BST here. It just becomes a low ball fest. Waste-o-time
    USGA - Unusually Stupid Governance Association