Talking Cult Clubs - What are your all time Favourites ???

Comments

• BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,277 ✭✭
    bobcat wrote:

Not only are the clubs in this post considered 'Cult Clubs', but these particular selections have enabled me re-think and re-configure my iron set so that it is 'much more versatile', while at the same time allowing me to add several more clubs to my bag without exceeding the 14-club legal limit.

LESSON LEARNED: AN 'UNCONVENTIONAL BAG SETUP' CAN ADD VERSATILITY AND PERHAPS ENABLE YOU TO SCORE BETTER! DON'T BE AFRAID TO EXPERIMENT WITH YOUR OWN SETUP.

My TM SLDR irons (5-8) when combined with (2) UDI's - the 16* (#1) and the 20* (#3) enabled me to achieve consistent (4*) loft gaps throughout my iron set! Love the performance and versatility of that!

Furthermore, because I now have only (6) irons total with this combo set, there is more room in the bag for other clubs, (additional fairways, hybrids, or wedges), beyond those that I would normally carry if I still playing a more conventional iron set comprised of 8-irons like I used to.

All the above SLDR irons and UDI's have KBS C-Taper Lite 110 shafts)

This is the perfect combo iron set up for me!... image/yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' />

SLDR Iron Lofts

Note that I only play only the 5-8 SLDR irons from the SLDR chart above - (the 24*, 28* 32* and 36*)

UDI's - The Ultimate Driving Irons - (I play the 16* and 20*)

NOTE: Because my 2011 Cleveland Niblick PW (shown below) as just 42* of loft, it easily does 'double duty' as my 9-Iron too! (That also helps save bag space for something else).

At 42*, this 'super versatile' Niblick PW is also a great 9-iron!
    Yep Bob Cat my friend you learned the versatility lesson well
    I think I have said this before I like a club because I like it period do not care what brand it is , when it was made or the market politics of the manufacturer or who plays it on tour. Also playing fewer clubs makes decisions easier. Lots of folks ask me why I only carry 2 wedges? That is all I need I have been playing golf long enough to know how to manipulate a club. Good example is what you posted about your Cleveland Niblick 42*
    cardoustie wrote:

Jwin323 wrote:

Cleveland Tour Edition 485 wedges in Beryllium Copper. Back when Roger Cleveland WAS Cleveland Golf. Only wedges that were on par with the Vokey 2009 Red Saws. And while I'm at it, the Vokey 2009 Red Saws. Many of us would still be using them if the USGa weren't fascists.

I still use them, shoot me
    Like my running buddy Bear says " ain't nobody in this group that gives two schmitts about the USGA"
    NRJyzr wrote:

I have to go with Ram Tour Grinds. I'm counting the Golden Rams, Ram FX forged, TG-898, even the Axials and FX Nickels. All are pure awesome. I'm sure this will shock Big Stu, LOL.

The Original Sportsman Wizard 600 putter, which is also a Ram product, though not under the Ram name. They still command some attention in the modern boutique putter world.

MacGregor VIP and/or Muirfield irons. Quality. Not sure they're *really* a cult product, but listing them anyway.

Bridgestone J's Professional Weapon. The Original spin killing driver. Aside from the obvious comparative lack of forgiveness, it's still viable today in terms of distance. Provided you can hit something that small, LOL.

1958 Wilson Dynapower SW. Said to be the model for a great many wedges.

There are others, but they're already getting mention, I don't need to repeat. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    That did not shock me in the least considering you are the #1 Ram Daddy image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' /> But the Ram Tour Grinds IMHO were one of the classics
  • RebbuttRebbutt Members Posts: 16
    edited Mar 15, 2019 10:46pm #185
    FG17s (2-P)!!! Yaaaassss!!! Pure beauty, lots of memories, purchased for $150 in 1984.

Also a 10* Cleveland Classic persimmon (mahogany stain & clear coat, black & green insert) with S300 shaft and full cord grip (2 wraps), along with a Hogan 4 wood (mahogany stain & clear coat, black & green insert). Paid $90 total for both.

Hogan 56* SW and Acushnet Bullseye putter.

Stuffed in a Jones Sports original single strap vinyl bag for serious hoofage.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Big Bertha 816 Alpha 10.5* - Big Bertha Fusion 15* - Cleveland Classic 2H 19.5* - PSi 4-PW KBS Tour S - TM Milled Grind 52/56/60 - Odyssey O-works #1 [/font]
    Rebbutt wrote:

FG17s (2-P)!!! Yaaaassss!!! Pure beauty, lots of memories, purchased for $150 in 1984.

Also a 10* Cleveland Classic persimmon (mahogany stain & clear coat, black & green insert) with S300 shaft and full cord grip (2 wraps), along with a Hogan 4 wood (mahogany stain & clear coat, black & green insert). Paid $90 total for both.

Hogan 56* SW and Acushnet Bullseye putter.

Stuffed in a Jones Sports original single strap vinyl bag for serious hoofage.
    Now you are talking especially with the Jones. I have one question why ain't you over in the Classics section with us? We have a plethora of Wilson folks over there along with us Mac folks and NJYzr who is the resident Ram man. Man you need to post pics of all of that over there. That would be sheer **** to us
  • 11forgedblades11forgedblades Members Posts: 561 ✭✭
    edited Mar 16, 2019 9:40am #187
    ddetts wrote:

Nike Pro Combo Tour irons

Nike Ignite T60 fairway woods

Those t60's were crazy long for their time. And sat dead square!
    COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
    TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
    COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
    TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
    BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"
  • ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,499 ClubWRX

ddetts wrote:

Nike Pro Combo Tour irons

Nike Ignite T60 fairway woods

Those t60's were crazy long for their time. And sat dead square!

The head shape was great, and yes they were long! I miss that 3w all the time!

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • vspin1vspin1 Members Posts: 24 ✭✭

Ping eye 2 irons, played them for 2 decades and I wish I still owned them. Best irons ever created, total game changer

Ping eye 2 irons, played them for 2 decades and I wish I still owned them. Best irons ever created, total game changer
    Loved those and still have a new unhit 3-L matching serial number blue dot set that I bought when they announced the agreement not to make them anymore. I have been gaming Zing BeCu for the last 25 yrs.
  • kmcakmca Members Posts: 15
    Adams 19* a2ts hybrid , Matrix lime green shaft wished I had never sold it, still search on ebay for it !

Sonertec 23* , great hybrid as well and Callaway Steelhead 4+ that steel callaway shaft fitted so many profiles
  • pm hackerpm hacker Bloody Lil' White Ball....... Charter Members Posts: 793 ✭✭
    Titleist 970 13° FW
  • glmglm Members Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Do you think anyone will mention the ping anser putter or the eye 2's ?
  • ironmikey12ironmikey12 Members Posts: 127 ✭✭
    I can’t ditch my 2007 burner 3w. It’s just good. I’ve seen a lot of posts about this club but not sure what counts as “cult” classic
  • Going back to the Titliest club archive provides an awesome trip down memory lane.

Must haves

975LFE Driver and FWs.

DCI Black Irons and Wedges

TP Mills Putter

https://www.titleist.com.au/previous-models?page=5

• MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,469 ✭✭
    edited Mar 17, 2019 11:06am #195

Going back to the Titliest club archive provides an awesome trip down memory lane.

Must haves

975LFE Driver and FWs.

DCI Black Irons and Wedges

TP Mills Putter

https://www.titleist.com.au/previous-models?page=5

"Inspired by' TP Mills aka Circa '62 putter, nice to see credit given appropriately😂
    Taylormade r510tp 10.5* Fuji Evo TS 661
    Taylormade 300 tour 15* Fuji TS 8.0
    Taylormade V Steel 18* Purple Ice 85
    TEE CNC Ltd. Forged 3-pw s400
    Artisan 53* s400
    Artisan 58* s400
    Cameron 1996 Laguna
  • TheGoochTheGooch Members Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Any old Cobra driver.
    Cobra F8 9*
    Callaway Rogue 3-Wood 15*
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20*
    Callaway Apex CF16 5-7-9-GW
    Ping Glide 58SS
    Tommy Armour Impact #3
  • ArvinPArvinP Members Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Cally Legacy Black irons...Stenson hammers. 
  • justswingharderjustswingharder OhioMembers Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Macgregor VIP V foil combo irons!
  • couliscoulis Members Posts: 1

Founders Club Series 200 Forged Blades; the last iteration of the Dandy Putter designed by Allan Strand; Punch Sand Irons.

• FlacomanFlacoman Members Posts: 12 ✭✭

@HoosierHacker89 said:
    This thing starts and ends with the Taylormade V steel. Best fairway wood of all time.

Ping Rapture v2 driver with stock blueboard my all time favorite combo

Adams idea pro hybrids

Bridgestone J40 dpc irons

Gunmetal 588 wedges

2 ball putters

I got my wife a set of the Idea Tech irons and hybrids . I'm totally stealing them!

• Sam-Tee-TimeSam-Tee-Time Members Posts: 1,444 ✭✭

Tourstage Z101 Irons (never found any iron I like better)
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 Putter (the gold standard, love this putter, and never changing)
    Titleist 980F fairway woods (these may be leaving the bag soon)
    all circa 1992, I actually still play these.

• GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,060 ✭✭

Mizuno MP32

Cobra F9 Tour Length
    TM M2 DF 16.5° 
    Irons TBD
    Cobra King Pur 54°/ Vokey Proto 60°
    TW Ardmore
  • OsnolaKinnardOsnolaKinnard Members Posts: 427 ✭✭

Kasco K2K hybrids. They are the GOAT.

LAWS of golf + Whippy Tempomaster = CRUSHING IT
  • dave williedave willie Members Posts: 798 ✭✭

I still own a few of the classic clubs mentioned: 975D, DCI 962s, Sonartec NP99, and others. But the real test is which classics am I still using? Cleveland Hi-Bore 19* hybrid and Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec. They still work as well as ever and I haven't found anything worth replacing them with.

Titleist 917 D3 10.5 Diamana Ltd S+ Blue 70-S
    Cobra Bio Cell 3/4 wood PXv 6.0
    Cleveland Hi-Bore 19 hybrid
    Ping i210 4-PW AWT 2.0 R
    Cleveland 588 50*, 54* & 60*
    Cameron Mil-Spec & Del Mar 2 Tei
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 551 ✭✭

@Golfingfanatic said:
    Mizuno MP32

Still so relevant. Played with a set this winter down in Florida for a few rounds and they were great. A PGA guy just put them back in the bag as well.

Cobra F9 Speedback 9° Tour Spec Atmos Black 6x
    Titleist 917F2 15.75° Aldila Rogue Black 70s
    Titleist 816H1 20° & 23° Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-5 (.5 long 2 flat) Modus 120x
    Titleist 716 CB 6-PW (.5 long 2 flat) Modus 120x
    Vokey SM7 50F 54S 58D S200
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1x

Currently - 8.7
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,060 ✭✭

@balls_deep said:

@Golfingfanatic said:
    Mizuno MP32

Still so relevant. Played with a set this winter down in Florida for a few rounds and they were great. A PGA guy just put them back in the bag as well.

2019 is the 15th anniversary for the MP32s. Maybe we're treated with a limited release similar to the Titleist 680s?

Cobra F9 Tour Length
    TM M2 DF 16.5° 
    Irons TBD
    Cobra King Pur 54°/ Vokey Proto 60°
    TW Ardmore
  • DoublebuckDoublebuck Doublebuck Members Posts: 1,152 ✭✭

Hogan Apex +, Sonartec SS-03

• CaymanSCaymanS Members Posts: 44 ✭✭

Adams hybrids.

• golfinrig24golfinrig24 Grande Prairie, ABMembers Posts: 81 ✭✭

Titleist 975J would like to take it out her and there again but face is cracked

• Millhill88Millhill88 Members Posts: 479 ✭✭

KZG CH-II irons. Distance of today's irons, but 20 years ago.

Driver: Srixon Z585
    4 Wood: Titleist TS2
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1
    Irons: Srixon Z585, 5-AW
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 @ 50, 54 & 60
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach 11
  • Chuck905Chuck905 Members Posts: 1,144 ✭✭

Ping Redwood putter in black.

Their first stainless steel milled putter and ahead in feel to this day.

Epic SZ 10*, Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    U45 17*, Recoil 110
    3-PW Mizuno MP18 Blades
    Mizuno T7s 54-8 SW and 58-12 LW
    Odyssey RX9