Driver, 4W, 4i

2»

Comments

• BiggErnBiggErn Members  2788WRX Points: 713Posts: 2,788 Titanium Tees
    BiggErn wrote:

Rarely do I have an approach over 200 but almost never over 230. For this reason I don’t carry a 3wood anymore. My setup is driver, 4/5wood 17.5, 4 hybrid 22*, 5-AW irons, wedges 54* 58* 64*. If I have anything over 230 my odds of hitting the green let alone anything close is not very high. Proximity to the hole from 175+ is around 30’ on tour and 200+ is around 50’. I focus on the lower end of the bag to give me more options to score with the short game.

This was my thinking - seems that most disagree though.

Some people think you need cover every gap between 200-260 with 4 clubs, you don’t. Especially true if you rarely have them.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • matchavezmatchavez Aotearoa New ZealandUnregistered  4286WRX Points: 378Posts: 4,286 Titanium Tees
    BiggErn wrote:

BiggErn wrote:

Rarely do I have an approach over 200 but almost never over 230. For this reason I don’t carry a 3wood anymore. My setup is driver, 4/5wood 17.5, 4 hybrid 22*, 5-AW irons, wedges 54* 58* 64*. If I have anything over 230 my odds of hitting the green let alone anything close is not very high. Proximity to the hole from 175+ is around 30’ on tour and 200+ is around 50’. I focus on the lower end of the bag to give me more options to score with the short game.

This was my thinking - seems that most disagree though.

Some people think you need cover every gap between 200-260 with 4 clubs, you don’t. Especially true if you rarely have them.

Agreed. there is no need to account for "less than one shot per round" that would only convert single digit percentages anyhow. Some players have distance, and others don't. But whether you're long or short, the total distance from a green shrinks the width equally for all players as you back up. So if you're 200 out, no matter what club you have, you have to hit a 1-2º width, where 100 out is about a 6º width. That's the beauty of a target sport.
    Posted:

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

• lefty74pghlefty74pgh Lefty Boomers  1570WRX Points: 135Posts: 1,570 Platinum Tees
    I go 10.5*, 16.5* fairway, 20* hybrid and Z585 24* 5 iron. This setup gaps well for me.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.