18* DI vs 18* 3 iron off teebox?

kody17 ·  
kody17kody17 Members  787WRX Points: 101Posts: 787 Golden Tee
Would the driving iron be more forgiving, higher launching, and for the most part go farther than a traditional 3 iron bent to the same loft?

I plan on replacing my 3iron from my Srixon z545 set with a new U85. Just wondering if there would be any advantage doing so.
Posted:

Titleist 910 D2 10.5* w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 6.2 TS X
TEE CBX 15* w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2 TS X
Titleist 910H 21* w/ DG X100
Cleveland Launcher HB 5-PW w/ DG TI X100
Titleist SM6 52* F w/ DG TI X100
Titleist SM6 58* K w/ DG TI X100
Odyssey Exo Indianapolis Stroke Lab

Comments

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9039WRX Points: 2,684Posts: 9,039 Titanium Tees
    Typically yes, but I would say the srixon z545 and u85 are closer than most other traditional 3 irons. The Z545 (and 5 series in general) is very forgiving, hot/thin face, full perimeter weighting. Main difference is the wider sole (and likely slightly lower CG) with the U series.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers  3771WRX Points: 982Handicap: 8Posts: 3,771 Titanium Tees
    My experience with driving irons is that they usually increase distance slightly.

It looks like the U85 180 is 40" while the Z545 3i is 39". Might keep that in mind as well.
    Posted:
    Driver: M3 w. Tensei CK Pro Org.
    Fairway: Aeroburner 3w HL
    Hybrid: Tour Edge E8 (22)
    Irons: 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Newport 2 Select
  • BigHook25BigHook25 Members  2337WRX Points: 131Posts: 2,337 Platinum Tees
    Interesting, I was actually considering the Srixon Z585 3-iron bent a degree or two as a driving iron. I figured slightly more forgiving and a cheaper option for similar performance.

I've tested a few "driving irons" vs 3-irons over the last few years and only difference I've seen is some of the driving irons are a little less forgiving and made to launch a little lower (mainly less weight at the bottom of the club).
    Posted:
  • uglandeuglande Members  387WRX Points: 273Posts: 387 Greens
    The driving iron will likely have a higher CG and generally produce less spin than a similarly lofted standard iron, but if you're increasing the DI loft to get to 18, it might perform similarly to the 3i. I would guess the DI would still produce less spin, so if you have spin to spare, the DI might give you more distance off the tee.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5  (Hzrdus Yellow)
    TM Original Mini (Hzrdus Yellow)
    Titleist TS3 15w (Hzrdus Yellow) 
    Titleist TS3 18w (Hzrdus Yellow)
    Titleist U500 4i (Hzrdus Smoke Black)
    Mizuno MP-20 5-P (Modus3 Tour 120)
    Titleist SM8 54-58 (Modus3 Tour 120)
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5
  • mootrailmootrail Members  588WRX Points: 110Posts: 588 Golden Tee
    BigHook25 wrote:

I've tested a few "driving irons" vs 3-irons over the last few years and only difference I've seen is some of the driving irons are a little less forgiving and made to launch a little lower (mainly less weight at the bottom of the club).

Not sure what you've been testing, but you're seeing the opposite of what driving irons are about. That's better forgiveness, easier to launch and longer distances. The soles are usually massively wider and heavier which elevates the shot higher. Maybe you're talking about irons like T-MBs or P790s with irons that go to a 2 or 3. So really more irons then specifically designed driving irons.
    Posted:
    mootrail wrote:

BigHook25 wrote:

Not sure what you've been testing, but you're seeing the opposite of what driving irons are about. That's better forgiveness, easier to launch and longer distances. The soles are usually massively wider and heavier which elevates the shot higher. Maybe you're talking about irons like T-MBs or P790s with irons that go to a 2 or 3. So really more irons then specifically designed driving irons.

I was comparing some of the driving irons to the more game improvement type 3-irons or 4-irons, the ones with 18-20 degree loft. I'm not saying the specific driving irons aren't forgiving, but with their design to be lower flight they can be.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9039WRX Points: 2,684Posts: 9,039 Titanium Tees
    BigHook25 wrote:

mootrail wrote:

BigHook25 wrote:

I was comparing some of the driving irons to the more game improvement type 3-irons or 4-irons, the ones with 18-20 degree loft. I'm not saying the specific driving irons aren't forgiving, but with their design to be lower flight they can be.

I don't think that is true...Most clunky DIs have a low CG to promote higher launch
    Posted:
  • JJK947JJK947 Members  3241WRX Points: 270Posts: 3,241 Titanium Tees
    From what I've seen the U driving irons are going to be higher launching than the 5 series irons in the same loft.

FWIW, I use a 545 3-iron as a diving iron with my 945 4-PW. So it's all relative. Great club, regardless.
    Posted:

Taylormade M5 (9) - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    Taylormade M3 T3 (14) - Tensei Pro Orange 70
    Taylormade M3 5W (19) - Tensei Pro Orange 80
    Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100
    Mizuno MP T20 52.09 - DG Tour S400
    Mizuno MP T20 58.04 - DG Tour S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

JJK947 wrote:

From what I've seen the U driving irons are going to be higher launching than the 5 series irons in the same loft.

FWIW, I use a 545 3-iron as a diving iron with my 945 4-PW. So it's all relative. Great club, regardless.

Yea, it seems they are all different depending on the manufacturer. I have a Mizuno MP 2-iron and its lower launch than some of the 3-irons I've tried with similar loft. The srixon (think I tried the U45) seemed to launch fairly easy. I guess it depends if you want higher launch and also use it off the fairway. For me, most of the "driving irons" I used were better off the tee than the ground, although some of the newer ones (Srixon and say Mizuno fli-hi) are going more towards higher launch.
    Posted:
  • manima1manima1 ChicagoMembers  772WRX Points: 136Handicap: 9.8Posts: 772 Golden Tee
    Yes, it will go ~10 yards further in my experience. The U series driving irons have very low CG due to the wide sole - that means high launch and low spin. The hollow body construction of the U series makes them quite forgiving as well - so on bad strikes the distance gap increases
    Posted:
    M5 9.0->7.5 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx 
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-PW - S400
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    TM Hi-Toe 60.12ATV - S400 Black
    TM Spider X - Navy
    manima1 wrote:

Yes, it will go ~10 yards further in my experience. The U series driving irons have very low CG due to the wide sole - that means high launch and low spin. The hollow body construction of the U series makes them quite forgiving as well - so on bad strikes the distance gap increases

Some of the distance might be just because of a slightly longer and lighter shaft. When you tested or hit the 3-iron against the U85 was it with the same shafts?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • kody17kody17 Members  787WRX Points: 101Posts: 787 Golden Tee
    Just for reference, I only use the club off of the tee. But since my original post, I went ahead and got a brand new one from ksouth off ebay.

18* with Recoil 95 X-flex. Can't wait!
    Posted:

Titleist 910 D2 10.5* w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 6.2 TS X
    TEE CBX 15* w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2 TS X
    Titleist 910H 21* w/ DG X100
    Cleveland Launcher HB 5-PW w/ DG TI X100
    Titleist SM6 52* F w/ DG TI X100
    Titleist SM6 58* K w/ DG TI X100
    Odyssey Exo Indianapolis Stroke Lab

Here's an excellent video comparing the X-Forged Utility 3 and a Z 765 3 iron that helps answer why a utility might be a better choice over a 3 iron.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz1em73XU[/media]
    Posted:
    kody17 wrote:

Just for reference, I only use the club off of the tee. But since my original post, I went ahead and got a brand new one from ksouth off ebay.

18* with Recoil 95 X-flex. Can't wait!

I just got my U85 2 from ksouth9 yesterday:) It's shiny! I already play a U45 3, so I know it's going to good. Enjoy!
    Posted:
  • manima1manima1 ChicagoMembers  772WRX Points: 136Handicap: 9.8Posts: 772 Golden Tee
    BigHook25 wrote:

manima1 wrote:

Some of the distance might be just because of a slightly longer and lighter shaft. When you tested or hit the 3-iron against the U85 was it with the same shafts?

Yes, S400 in 3 iron length.
    Posted:
    M5 9.0->7.5 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx 
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-PW - S400
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    TM Hi-Toe 60.12ATV - S400 Black
    TM Spider X - Navy
  • ORTORT Members  343WRX Points: 53Handicap: 10Posts: 343 Greens
    I have a 20 degree u65 as well as a 20.5 degree steelhead XR 4 iron. The u65 is a solid 15 yards longer than the 4 regular iron of almost the same exact loft. I also find the u65 to be higher launching than the 4 iron despite the almost identical loft.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.