ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Caledonia Golf & Fish Club conditions?

mark_panekmark_panek Members Posts: 5
Hi All,

I am heading down to south Myrtle Beach on the 14th of March and plan on Playing TPC, River Club and Caledonia. I saw some recent reviews of Caledonia on Google that said the greens were in horrible shape and the course in general was not what you would expect for the course. Has anyone played Caledonia in the last month and can you support or refute these observations?

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• krtgolfingkrtgolfing Advanced Members Posts: 1,038 ✭✭
    I have not played there but I would not be surprised if conditions are not the best. It has been a really really wet winter down in this part of the country.
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Driver
    Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
    Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
    Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
    Odyssey Works Red #1W S
  • AppAlumAppAlum Advanced Members Posts: 732 ✭✭
    FWIW, played True Blue on March 1 and it was in good shape. My group avoided Caledonia because we also heard the greens weren’t great.
  • BIG STUBIG STU Advanced Members Posts: 11,067 ✭✭
    mark_panek wrote:

Hi All,

I am heading down to south Myrtle Beach on the 14th of March and plan on Playing TPC, River Club and Caledonia. I saw some recent reviews of Caledonia on Google that said the greens were in horrible shape and the course in general was not what you would expect for the course. Has anyone played Caledonia in the last month and can you support or refute these observations?

Thanks
    I live down here and have not played Caledonia in a while. We did play River Club 2 weeks ago and it was in fantastic shape. They have had quite a bit of rain on the South end of the strand this year. Now we are getting overnight freezes this week. We played TPC about a month ago and on a scale of 1 to 10 I would have given it a 8 have seen it in both better shape and worse shape. Founders Club we played it about a month ago the week before we played TPC and it was in the worse shape it has ever been in. But like I said we have had a lot of rain since the hurricane so the supers have had one heck of a time. My home course Indian Wells is in fantastic shape. Right now it is hit and miss on all the Founder's Group courses
    Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stock Regular shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
    Irons 3 thru 9 KZG Kyoei Forged CB 1st generation Swing Science 400 Graphite Senior flex
    PW Cleveland Special 588 45* bent to 47* Stock Cleveland Steel Shaft
    SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore S-300 ( old dependable)
    Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft rusty and lead taped as heck named "Rusty"
    Bag-- Jones Classic non stand
    Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want **** the USGA & R&A
    Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
    Vintage
    Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
    3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
    Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green or 1980 Macgregor VIP 3 thru PW Hogan Apex #2 shafts " The famous Bastardized Macs"
    PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
    SW Macgregor LRA 56* S-400 DJ Special-- Will rotate out when old dependable does not behave
    Putter ( subject to change) Lil David 8802
    Bag Old School Power Bilt orange mini staff
  • tideridertiderider Advanced Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭
    the south/southeast has had an enormous amount of rain ... the avg for b'ham in december is 4.5 inches ... we got 10 ... for the year, we're 4 inches above normal since Jan 1 ... and more on the way ... conditions of every course above the florida line will be iffy in many areas ...
    tiderider wrote:

the south/southeast has had an enormous amount of rain ... the avg for b'ham in december is 4.5 inches ... we got 10 ... for the year, we're 4 inches above normal since Jan 1 ... and more on the way ... conditions of every course above the florida line will be iffy in many areas ...

The rain has certainly been a challenge in the Southeast. However True Blue’s greens were good and Debordieu’s was close to perfect last week.
  • UncleJohn’sBandUncleJohn’sBand Advanced Members Posts: 970 ✭✭
    AppAlum wrote:

tiderider wrote:

The rain has certainly been a challenge in the Southeast. However True Blue’s greens were good and Debordieu’s was close to perfect last week.

Debordieu is always gonna be close to perfect. 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻 I love that place
    Titleist 915 D3 Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
    Titleist 910 F Rombax W
    Titleist 913hd Matrix Altus
    Titleist 714 CB/MB 4-Pw PjX 6.5
    Tour issue 52, 56 60 Vokey 200 SM4
    Odyssey Versa no. 7
  • Hodsy871Hodsy871 Advanced Members Posts: 229 ✭✭
    My friend was in Myrtle a couple weekends ago and said the Caledonia greens weren't good. He said the other courses were fine. I think the other courses he played were TPC Myrtle and MB National or MBCC.
  • mark_panekmark_panek Members Posts: 5
    Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like Caledonia is out. True blue is an option but one of the guys is worried it will be too difficult. Are there other good options on the south end that you would recommend?
  • DancinDancin Advanced Members Posts: 220 ✭✭
    If you were going to play Caledonia, True Blue is not too difficult if you pick the correct tees. A few years after it opened they took out a lot of the toughest features and it plays more like a resort course now.
  • NJgolfer11NJgolfer11 Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Pawleys Plantation

Litchfield

River Club

Willbrook

Tradition

AppAlum wrote:

tiderider wrote:

Debordieu is always gonna be close to perfect. 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻 I love that place

Amen
  • ApeshillApeshill Members Posts: 2
    Played Caledonia February 17th, course was in nice shape. No complaints.
  • poppyhillsguypoppyhillsguy Advanced Members Posts: 3,146 ✭✭
    mark_panek wrote:

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like Caledonia is out. True blue is an option but one of the guys is worried it will be too difficult. Are there other good options on the south end that you would recommend?

Too difficult?! Man up! I've played both and scored better at True Blue. I guess I found it more open off the tee than Caledonia.
  • ArtMBgolfArtMBgolf Advanced Members Posts: 354 ✭✭
    I don't think all the rain in winter will affect the greens, unless the rain washed away a lot of the overseed and all that is

left is sparse overseed and dyed areas.

It's time for the hybrid greens to start growing, out of dormancy, but that doesn't help March play much.

I have not seen/heard about recent complaints on any other premium MB course but Cal.
  • Mr.FujiMr.Fuji Connection Advanced Members Posts: 637 ✭✭
    mark_panek wrote:
    Guys,

Might want to give Heritage a look, I always considered it to be a more affordable version of Caledonia.
    Ping G400 Max PX HC Yellow
    Ping SF Tech 16*
    Titleist 816H1 21*
    Titleist 913H 24*
    Callaway CF16/Pro Combos 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60*
    Spider X Copper
  • Doc420Doc420 Advanced Members Posts: 2,322 ✭✭
    edited March 15
    Played a tournament at Caledonia last week, the greens are fine, they're just slow. Rolling maybe 8. True blue isn't very hard at all.