2019 Arnold Palmer Invitational

Comments

• GolfnutgalenGolfnutgalen Members Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Cameron Champ's worst round in his young PGA Tour career was a few 75s. If he pars in he will shoot an 83.
  • BohsauceyBohsaucey Members Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    iutodd wrote:

I just legit didn't know that you could be in play, with what is clearly a temp fence impeding you, and not be able to do anything about it.

Maybe I just don't play nice enough courses with fences for OB markers. White stakes is the usual for me. I guess a fence supersedes the white stakes?

Anything marking OB falls under the rules. Chain link fence, temp fence as in this tournament, white stakes, painted line, I have even seen painted trees marking the OB.
    PING - G400
    TourEdge - XCG3 3w
    Nike - VRS Covert 5w
    PING - G30 7w
    Callaway - Apex UT 21
    PING - G400 6-PW
    Callaway - 54,60 MD4
    Callaway - PM 64
    Bettinardi - BB1
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t understand the scoring of Phil’s 10th hole at all, particularly in light of the new OB rule. They scored it as though it was a lateral hazard. But his ball was OB. Can someone explain this to me?

Yeah I'm not sure either. I thought it would fall under the new rule regarding stroke and distance.

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/golfs-new-rules-stroke-and-distance.html
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution  V2 High Launch - S
    W/S C300 15* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S C300 20*/23* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S Fi5 5-P  DGS300
    W/S PMP 52/56/60  KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Pro Platinum

I don’t understand the scoring of Phil’s 10th hole at all, particularly in light of the new OB rule. They scored it as though it was a lateral hazard. But his ball was OB. Can someone explain this to me?

I believe his 2nd was in bounds, the ball dropped in bounds and he elected an unplayable lie which he could have done before the under fence attempt.
    PING - G400
    TourEdge - XCG3 3w
    Nike - VRS Covert 5w
    PING - G30 7w
    Callaway - Apex UT 21
    PING - G400 6-PW
    Callaway - 54,60 MD4
    Callaway - PM 64
    Bettinardi - BB1
    Bohsaucey wrote:

iutodd wrote:

I just legit didn't know that you could be in play, with what is clearly a temp fence impeding you, and not be able to do anything about it.

Maybe I just don't play nice enough courses with fences for OB markers. White stakes is the usual for me. I guess a fence supersedes the white stakes?

Anything marking OB falls under the rules. Chain link fence, temp fence as in this tournament, white stakes, painted line, I have even seen painted trees marking the OB.

That's right. Its the boundary of the golf course and you don't get free relief from it. Period. And I hope that never changes.
    W/S Fi5 5-P  DGS300

His second shot stayed ob which means he got to drop within 1 club length of his previous shot underneath the fence. He hit his 4th from there and 2-putted for a 6. If this was last year it would have been a 7 or another attempt from underneath a fence scoring who knows what.
  • HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North TexasMembers Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    iutodd wrote:

I just legit didn’t know that you could be in play, with what is clearly a temp fence impeding you, and not be able to do anything about it.

Maybe I just don’t play nice enough courses with fences for OB markers. White stakes is the usual for me. I guess a fence supersedes the white stakes?

No relief from boundary markers...whether they be fences or markers.
    Bohsaucey wrote:

I believe his 2nd was in bounds, the ball dropped in bounds and he elected an unplayable lie which he could have done before the under fence attempt.

I wasn't playing 100% attention obviously but I thought they said on the telecast it came down out of bounds? Was distracted with stupid work but an official musta said otherwise.
    W/S Fi5 5-P  DGS300
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,564 ClubWRX
    mud ball bro!!
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    gatorMD wrote:

mud ball bro!!

Brooo
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • RMGC_NVRMGC_NV Members Posts: 308 ✭✭

His second shot stayed ob which means he got to drop within 1 club length of his previous shot underneath the fence. He hit his 4th from there and 2-putted for a 6. If this was last year it would have been a 7 or another attempt from underneath a fence scoring who knows what.

1) Drive under the fence

2) Right handed fence shot

3) OB Penalty

4) OB Penalty

5) Shot to the green

6) Putt

7) Putt

No?
  • MilkyButterCutsMilkyButterCuts Members Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rawdog wrote:

We've been spoiled with Tiger being back in the fields.

Funny, announcers just said this was the best Bay Hill field in 12 years. Spoiled without him as well!

Wasn't discrediting the field by any means...
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

gatorMD wrote:

mud ball bro!!

Brooo

7bb280072d62d955c69133a5f36edbf4efe157444b65b685cea4dbeb5660dcaa.jpg
    womp womp rory, lol.
    That Geico hibachi grill commercial is good....as commercials go
    W/S Fi5 5-P  DGS300
    edited Mar 7, 2019 4:06pm #137
    RMGC_NV wrote:

1) Drive under the fence

3) OB Penalty

4) OB Penalty

5) Shot to the green

6) Putt

7) Putt

No?

Nope. The new rule allows you to drop within 1 club length after hitting one out of bounds. You used to have to place the ball back into the original location and drop from there with a penalty.

So:

1) Drive under the fence

3) OB Penalty (stroke and distance)

drop

4) Shot to the green

5) Putt

6) Putt
    lowheel wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

gatorMD wrote:

mud ball bro!!

Brooo

7bb280072d62d955c69133a5f36edbf4efe157444b65b685cea4dbeb5660dcaa.jpg

Chill out, Teddy Brosevelt
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • Dr. BlockDr. Block Members Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cameron Champ's worst round in his young PGA Tour career was a few 75s. If he pars in he will shoot an 83.

Better start a thread
  • RMGC_NVRMGC_NV Members Posts: 308 ✭✭

RMGC_NV wrote:

1) Drive under the fence

3) OB Penalty

4) OB Penalty

5) Shot to the green

6) Putt

7) Putt

No?

Nope. The new rule allows you to drop within 1 club length after hitting one out of bounds. You used to have to place the ball back into the original location and drop from there with a penalty.

So:

1) Drive under the fence

drop

4) Shot to the green

5) Putt

6) Putt

According to this it's still a 2 stroke penalty:

• Balls Lost or Out of Bounds: Alternative to Stroke and Distance: A new Local Rule will now be available in January 2019, permitting committees to allow golfers the option to drop the ball in the vicinity of where the ball is lost or out of bounds (including the nearest fairway area), under a two-stroke penalty. It addresses concerns raised at the club level about the negative impact on pace of play when a player is required to go back under stroke and distance. The Local Rule is not intended for higher levels of play, such as professional or elite level competitions. (Key change: this is a new addition to support pace of play)
    hey rough on the PGA tour, shocker!
    edited Mar 7, 2019 4:12pm #142
    RMGC_NV wrote:

RMGC_NV wrote:

1) Drive under the fence

3) OB Penalty

4) OB Penalty

5) Shot to the green

6) Putt

7) Putt

No?

So:

1) Drive under the fence

drop

4) Shot to the green

5) Putt

6) Putt

• Balls Lost or Out of Bounds: Alternative to Stroke and Distance: A new Local Rule will now be available in January 2019, permitting committees to allow golfers the option to drop the ball in the vicinity of where the ball is lost or out of bounds (including the nearest fairway area), under a two-stroke penalty. It addresses concerns raised at the club level about the negative impact on pace of play when a player is required to go back under stroke and distance. The Local Rule is not intended for higher levels of play, such as professional or elite level competitions. (Key change: this is a new addition to support pace of play)

Only if he was taking the distance benefit**

He hit from basically the same spot so 1 stroke. I believe that is a local option rule anyway. But I am not a savant about the rule book.
    PING - G400
    TourEdge - XCG3 3w
    Nike - VRS Covert 5w
    PING - G30 7w
    Callaway - Apex UT 21
    PING - G400 6-PW
    Callaway - 54,60 MD4
    Callaway - PM 64
    Bettinardi - BB1
  • HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North TexasMembers Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 7, 2019 4:13pm #143
    RMGC, that is an optional local rule, not in affect for PGA events (or most formal competitions, I’d imagine). It’s a alternative to stroke and distance to speed up play.

He took stroke and distance. His previous shot was from right there.
  • MilkyButterCutsMilkyButterCuts Members Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 7, 2019 4:12pm #144
    Every time I try to like Bryson he gives me a reason not to
    rory hit more club broooooo
    edited Mar 7, 2019 4:14pm #146
    RMGC_NV wrote:

That's the new local rule which pros will not abide by. He was penalized the usual stroke and distance. The thing is he didn't actually hit the ball anywhere so the distance penalty was moot.
  • Dr. BlockDr. Block Members Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. Love his game, but what a bag.
    Dr. Block wrote:

Agreed. Love his game, but what a bag.

Hold on, did something happen besides the mud-ball? Bro?
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • iutoddiutodd Members Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    Bohsaucey wrote:

iutodd wrote:

I guess I’m more confused by the temp nature of the fence itself - idk why that bothers me but it just seems weird.

I guess it has to be declared beforehand that those kind of fences are the OB markers?

Like if they weren’t declared as the OB markers, even if they were on the OB line - like if there is an actual construction site next to the course with a temp fence - would you get relief if the ball was determined to be in bounds using white stakes?
    philllllllllllllllllllll
    wtf is that grip for ollie shiderjamahama?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file