Talking Cult Balls....

Comments

• coachemupcoachemup Posts: 363 ✭✭
    Precept Double Cover used by Faldo to win 96 Masters (I think that was the correct year). It was the first 4 piece golf ball made and the one I used to make it sectional qualifying for the U S Open.

Dont ask how that went lol
    Driver- TaylorMade R9 Superdeep
    3 Wood- Adams Tight Lies Original 13
    4 Wood- Adams Tight Lies Original 16
    Irons- PGA Diamondback Blades (RAW) 2 (20)- PW (52)
    Wedges- Edel Custom Carbon 56
    Putter- Titleist Bullseye
    Ball- Mizuno Tour RB
  • Thommo335Thommo335 Members Posts: 51 ✭✭

Oh man, fun thread!

Callaway Rule 35 Blue

Top Flight Z Balata

Not sure how any Titleist could ever be considered a "cult" ball.

Forgot the Cally Rule 35's.....sold in packs of 10 not a dozen coz apparently that's how many the average player needs per round???

The Titleist's I listed were more game changers and legendary balls than 'cult' followings. I tried, like some other posters, to be anti Titleist with balls and not follow the herd!
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,296 ✭✭
    The Maxfli XS was a decent ball similar to Precept Extra-Spin. Norman and a handful of other pros played it.
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,523 ✭✭
    Acushnet Club Special. Always on the counter display. I was cheap back then.
    PING OG Rapture 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* hybrid
    Cleveland CG2 irons 3-p
    Bridgestone Wedges 52/56
    Odyssey #1WS
  • TPG1971TPG1971 Don't Get Rolled Members Posts: 956 ✭✭
    Titleist Wound DT 90's

Titleiest Tour Balata 90's

Top Flite Z Balata

Top Flite Strata
    PING G30 9.5 [font=arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(255, 255, 0)]Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 63 Stiff[/background][/font]
    Titleist 917F 16.5 Diamana Blue Stiff
    Wilson Staff C300 Hybrid 23 Fujikura Pro78 Stiff
    Irons TBD.
    RTX-3 50 bent to 51 DG Ti Onyx S400
    RTX-3 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
    RTX-3 60 bent to 59 DG Ti Onyx S400
    Cameron 009
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,615 ClubWRX
    Another vote here for the Maxfli HT, and to a lesser extent, the revolution.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • JBent9610JBent9610 Members Posts: 399 ✭✭
    TP Red LDP

Srixon Z-star XV

Not cult status, but other favorites:

Burner TP LDP

Hex Hot

Penta TP
    Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
    Super LS/Tisi Tec/RBZ Stage2/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
    Halo/4DX
    X-20/XL2000/EX-1/RaptureJ/GC Mid/Deep Red II
    ISI W2/EX-1
    685BX/X-Forged Vintage/GAS1 Forged/Eye2+
    WHP 2-Ball
  • 3woodvt3woodvt 5 test drives for clubface contact. #footpowder Posts: 1,628
    edited Mar 9, 2019 11:46am #39
    Molitor... only because when I was 8 years old hanging around the clubhouse a Doctor who I admired use to play them...I thought they were only for the wealthy. Funny when I got older and realized he was just super cheap and the Molitor was basically a Pinnacle.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra F9 8.0 Atmos TS Black7x
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Adams A12 19* VTS Proforce 100hs
    Srixon Z945 4-PW KBS Tour 120s
    Cleveland 2.0 51**,55**,59*
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
  • Golfer from MOGolfer from MO Members Posts: 976 ✭✭
    Um...Strata tour Ace anyone?! Amazing ball

Maxfli A10 ball was the bees knees too
    ALL LEFTY -
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue SZ 9* Hzrdus t1100 75 6.5
    PING G400 LST 8.5 version GD p9003tx, [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cally[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Epic Flash SZ 13.5 smoke 80 6.5 shaft (107g)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cally Apex 18 Ut nunchuck shaft
    Mizuno 900 forged 4-gw X100 hardstepped
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey black SM5 54/58 s400[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] O works 1 wide 33.5in[/font]
    Ball - Tp5/Tp5x

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Our WRXer[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Our WRXer, Who art on Golfworks, hallowed be Thy game; Thy A-game come, Thy eagles be done on the course as it is in the General Forum. Give us this day our daily bird; and forgive us our slow play as we forgive those who slow play in front of us; and lead us not into early extension, but deliver us from triples. Amen. [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Written by:[/font]DeNinny
  • GautamaGautama Posts: 751 ✭✭
    All the ball we ever needed image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom
  • ChoclabChoclab Posts: 348 ✭✭
    Many already mentioned but here are mine...

Ultra 500 Competition (John Daly at the Old Course)

Top Flite Z-Balata

Slazenger Select (basically same as also-fave Maxfll HT with the urethane cover)

Srixon Metal Mix Tour (perimeter weighting!)

Srixon Hi-Spin

Maxfli A10 (next-gen Revolution)

TM Lethal (one of the few balls ever that actually seemed superior to the competition)
    Wilson F5 driver, Adams Super LS 3W, Mizuno MP-37/Wilson FG51, Miz Mp raw 56, Wilson 8813
  • reider69reider69 Members Posts: 606 ✭✭
    Loved finding the Slazengers back in the day when they were a premium ball. I always bought the logo balls on the counter of golf course and they were usually the Pinnacle Exceptions. Always felt that ball was much better than its low price. Had a soft feel but went a mile off the tee.
    Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
  • Golfer from MOGolfer from MO Members Posts: 976 ✭✭
    reider69 wrote:

Loved finding the Slazengers back in the day when they were a premium ball. I always bought the logo balls on the counter of golf course and they were usually the Pinnacle Exceptions. Always felt that ball was much better than its low price. Had a soft feel but went a mile off the tee.

Slazenger black label anyone? Urethane tour ball from them 15yrs or so ago and loved it
    ALL LEFTY -
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue SZ 9* Hzrdus t1100 75 6.5
    PING G400 LST 8.5 version GD p9003tx, [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cally[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Epic Flash SZ 13.5 smoke 80 6.5 shaft (107g)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cally Apex 18 Ut nunchuck shaft
    Mizuno 900 forged 4-gw X100 hardstepped
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey black SM5 54/58 s400[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] O works 1 wide 33.5in[/font]
    Ball - Tp5/Tp5x

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Our WRXer[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Our WRXer, Who art on Golfworks, hallowed be Thy game; Thy A-game come, Thy eagles be done on the course as it is in the General Forum. Give us this day our daily bird; and forgive us our slow play as we forgive those who slow play in front of us; and lead us not into early extension, but deliver us from triples. Amen. [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Written by:[/font]DeNinny
  • arzee2arzee2 Posts: 223 ✭✭
    Flying Lady- The first ball I ever found on the course. I played the **** out of that ball until I donated it back to the woods

Precept EV- My favorite ball in high school

Tour Balata- Nothing lie ripping an 8 iron back 40'
    Cobra F8+ w/ Rogue S
    TEE CB Pro LE 14.5°
    Titleist 913h 18°
    Callaway Rogue Pro 4-AW
    Vokey SM7 54S & 58D
    Taylormade Spider X

TP5X
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 918 ✭✭
    edited Mar 13, 2019 6:49pm #46

reider69 wrote:

Slazenger black label anyone? Urethane tour ball from them 15yrs or so ago and loved it

Yes!

Still have a dozen of them. In fact, I pretty much have a dozen or more of most balls mentioned here. I don't have anything pre-1997.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,040 ✭✭
    edited Mar 13, 2019 9:20pm #47
    For me it’s the 2013 and 2015 prov1x ( the grey stripe ball ). Before the v1x became higher spin . Everytime I run across a sleeve and put them into play I have a low round. Just love it off putter and wedges. And best off driver yet.

In my school days working at a private course I knew the blue label maxfli revolution was worth $1.50 a piece if found in clean shape. I sold a lot of them to 2 members at that club. Lol.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • DrudershDrudersh ClubWRX Posts: 2,902 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 13, 2019 9:28pm #48

For me it’s the 2013 and 2015 prov1x ( the grey stripe ball ). Before the v1x became higher spin . Everytime I run across a sleeve and put them into play I have a low round. Just love it off putter and wedges. And best off driver yet.

In my school days working at a private course I knew the blue label maxfli revolution was worth $1.50 a piece if found in clean shape. I sold a lot of them to 2 members at that club. Lol.

The 13’ Vx was so good. There were no surprises with that ball it just flat out performed. I remember noticing a slight difference in the ‘15’s and the ‘17Vx was so disturbingly bad it pushed me into the B330S which is now my favorite ball of all time.
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • RangeballzRangeballz Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 7:32am #49
    elwhippy wrote:

Uniroyal Plus Six.......

Man you are going back into the vault with that one, but i do remember it. That and the old Wilson Prostaff with "truncated dimples" were quite the thing back in the day....

I also remember Maxfli had the Red Max, Blue Max, and Black Max (the premium ball). Ah, good times back then.
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,239 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 7:44am #50
    Maxfli DDH Red

Prostaff 90 comp Surlyn

Edit Posted these 2 golf balls and then funny enough see Rangeballz' post above remembering the same golf balls.
  • deep18deep18 Members Posts: 1,849 ✭✭
    Maxfli Revolution and then the Nike RZN Platinum.
  • spring7spring7 Posts: 673 ✭✭
    So many that were already mentioned

Rextar - absolute butter

Titleist Pro Trajectory

Maxfli HT Balata

Maxfli Revolution

Maxfli A10

Top Flight Spin Ball - green sleeve??

Callaway Hx56

ProV1 - the original Seamed off the tee lol

Titleist TS3 10.5* Even-flow 65 Blue
    Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana LTD Blue 70
    Titleist 816H1 20* Diamana Blue 80S+
    Callaway X-Utility 24* GD GS95
    Titleist 718 AP1 5-G KBS Tour 90
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52*
    Callaway PM Grind 60*
    Yes! Tracy 2
    Titleist AVX
  • Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Posts: 1,512 ✭✭
    edited Mar 15, 2019 1:53pm #53
    deep18 wrote:

Maxfli Revolution and then the Nike RZN Platinum.

Original Revolution was such a good ball back in early 2000s.
    8.5* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,355 ClubWRX
    For me my go to was the Titleist professional 90. In terms of a ball that was hyped up at the time was the tour balata which for the life of me cannot last a round. The darn things were so soft you can easily put a good welt on it or the cover would get all scratched up. In terms of now, let the race for distance balls with feel begin. From tpx and bridgestone and the introduction of matte finish hyper yellow and blood orange there has been a shift of something other than your traditional white.
    Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB 50/54/60 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Taylor Made Ghost Long Hosel DA22
    Vice Pro +
  • mwink822mwink822 Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭
    For a good stretch in my high school playing career, it was between Callaway Rule 35 Red and Nike David Duval version, following that it was the Taylormade Tour Preferred Red. Since then I've bounced around a little bit between Titleist Pro V1x, Srixon Z-Star X, and the last two years, I've been a Pro V1 loyalist and don't foresee any change in the immediate future.
    Titleist 917D3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 80 Tour X 125 MSI
    Titleist 915 Fd 13.5* Diamana S+ 80X (rotates in and out based on course played)
    Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Aldila Rogue Black 80X 95 MSI
    3-P Mizuno JPX 900 Tour Nippon Modus 3 105X
    White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
    Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
    Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1
  • MBBGMBBG Members Posts: 1,447 ✭✭
    Drudersh wrote:

The 13’ Vx was so good. There were no surprises with that ball it just flat out performed. I remember noticing a slight difference in the ‘15’s and the ‘17Vx was so disturbingly bad it pushed me into the B330S which is now my favorite ball of all time.

Couldn’t agree more
    2016 TM TI M2 with Rogue 125 60 TS
    Ping G400 3W with stock Alta S
    RomaRo Type R 18* with Nunchuk .370
    Srixon U45 23* with Aerotech i95 S
    2013 ONOFF Forged with Modus 125 S
    Vokey Cold Forged 51/56*, PM Grind 60* Modus 125 Wedge
    Odyssey Works SaberTooth
    Tartan Ogio Recoil stand bag
  • Outpost31Outpost31 Why don't we just wait here awhile...see what happens... Members Posts: 314 ✭✭
    I can't remember who made them but they were cheap balls called (Rocketballs.) They were pretty popular in our small town.
  • coopscoops Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    edited Mar 16, 2019 5:15am #58

sharkiesj wrote:

TaylorMade Red LDP 4 piece

TP RED LDP did it for me too. Oh the memories......

The Black version for me.... I was stunned when I tried them.

I'd been happily using Precept U-Tri Tours and then other Tourstage balls. Living in Asia you get the latest Bridgestone balls under the Tourstage brand before they filtered over to the US a season or two later it seemed... but they gradually started feeling slightly less lovely with every iteration...

So spotted some TaylorMade LDP lake balls outside a course we were going to for a round, a couple of reds and rest were blacks i think.

First shot was a surprisingly decent drive (rather than nasty opening pull hook) followed by an equally good iron shot - not my usual opening style at all... but it was the sound and feel of this black LDP that had me grinning most (with a well hit Adams 9015d as a bonus)... Stunned.

I was honestly reminded of the 'good old' wound balls already mentioned - the Titleist either balata or even the Surlyn wound ball felt luvverly and so did the TM things, but had modern performance.

Finally... I'd found my perfect modern ball.

Then I went to the golf shoppes and found it had recently been discontinued.

Doh!
  • Kimo62Kimo62 Members Posts: 33 ✭✭
    I liked the precept laddies, Black max , one black and the older b330s.
  • jetmech879jetmech879 Members Posts: 1,176 ✭✭

Cwebb wrote:

The ProV1* (star)

I still have a couple dozen of them.

I loved that ball! I hit my longest drive on flat ground with it. 369! That was after I learned you could seam them😉
    Tmag M4 8.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 130 70TX
    Tmag M1 16° 3HL Aldila ATX Tour Green 85X
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-hi 18° Aldila Tour 115
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F PX6.5, 54S,59D PX6.0
    Mizuno MP-A308 or Odyssey O-works T3 black
    Titleist 2019 Pro-V1X
  • miket_81miket_81 Members Posts: 1,013 ✭✭
    Taylor Made TP-RED LDP 4pc
    Srixon Z-Star 
    Precept Lady Iq+ and Bridgestone Lady
    Wilson Staff FG-Tour