Need a cold weather golf ball recommendation

oneputt2oneputt2 Members Posts: 66
Playing i some early tournaments here in PA. The weather is not cooperating and the temps are still in the high 30's to low 40's. Looking for a good ball to play in these temps Thanks in advance

Comments

• GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 578 ✭✭
    Anything low compression.

My cold weather balls are Vice Pro Soft and ChromeSoft
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,172 ✭✭
    I second chrome soft. Retains spin but softer so you don't feel like you're hitting a brick.
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,183 ✭✭
    Whatever you play in warm weather. The Chrome Soft isn’t very soft and the Vice Pro Soft especially isn’t.
  • GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche Members Posts: 11,645 ✭✭
    Wilson Duo Pro is nice. The matte yellow and green stand out great in gloomy conditions too.
    M4 9.5°, Ventus 7x
    Mizuno ST-180 16°, Atmos Blue 8x
    Mizuno CLK  19°, Recoil Hybrid 95
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

Srixon Z785 5-PW
    Mizuno S18  50.07, 54.08 & 58.08
    Nippon Modus 125x
    EVNROLL ER3
    Z-Star XV
    Lead Tape

• Hanlpa01Hanlpa01 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Playing in Ohio I usually go with something as soft as possible. Bridgestone E6 Soft are soft and cheap. Early in the season rounds I tend to lose more balls so I like to start with something cheaper in the spring.
    GooseHook wrote:
    Wilson Duo Pro is nice. The matte yellow and green stand out great in gloomy conditions too.

Yes but it’s not especially soft. The regular duo is sub 29 compression, the pro is 60. The Chrome Soft is about 75 compression and the super soft is like 38. The super soft and regular duo are like marshmallows. The thing is if you have any kind of swing speed they fly forever with short clubs because they generate VERY LITTLE spin.
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    For me it's the Srixon Q Star Tour
    Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Srixon Z Star
    Maker's Mark
  • Arlin964Arlin964 Members Posts: 71 ✭✭

I’d like to know why you like the QST. I bought a sleeve last year but my swing was so bad the day I tried them that I lost all three before I could form an opinion. I hear many people sing it’s praises, but I haven’t seen much detail on the reasons why people like it. Thanks for your input!
    TaylorMade R1 10.5*
    Ping Anser 3w
    Callaway Rogue X - 3h, 4h, 5h
    Nickent 6DX - 6-PW
    Wilson Staff PMP 50*
    Cleveland CBX 56*
    Odyssey #7s O-Works
  • PulledabillPulledabill Posts: 324 ✭✭
    Srixon Soft Feel or a good ladies ball.
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,175 ✭✭
    Arlin964 wrote:

I'd like to know why you like the QST. I bought a sleeve last year but my swing was so bad the day I tried them that I lost all three before I could form an opinion. I hear many people sing it's praises, but I haven't seen much detail on the reasons why people like it. Thanks for your input!

Let's see, very reasonably priced urethane ball that spins well around the green. Nice feel and comes in yellow? Anything else you need from a ball?
  • SweetdrawSweetdraw Members Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Another vote for srixon soft feel
  • aiyyeraiyyer Members Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    E12 soft - pretty good.

• flaghunting1987flaghunting1987 Members Posts: 24 ✭✭
    oneputt2 wrote:

Playing i some early tournaments here in PA. The weather is not cooperating and the temps are still in the high 30's to low 40's. Looking for a good ball to play in these temps Thanks in advance

Unless you're a PRO or scratch, I highly doubt you'd tell any difference between various balls in the weather...
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,175 ✭✭
    edited Mar 9, 2019 10:43am #15

oneputt2 wrote:

Unless you're a PRO or scratch, I highly doubt you'd tell any difference between various balls in the weather...

True on performance. But, the feel of the ball does get affected. A low compression ball feels better in cold weather.
  • SweetdrawSweetdraw Members Posts: 45 ✭✭
    tip- play one ball and keep another one in your pocket (keep it warm). Rotate every hole. Consider keeping handwarmer in same pocket as ball....I need to move some place warmer
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,847 ClubWRX
    I like a lower compression ball with a urethane cover such as the Chrome Soft. While its not super low compression like a Supersoft, it is less than a Pro-V1, Z-Star or TP model, and the urethane cover helps with greenside spin.

I also keep two or three balls in my pocket and rotate them frequently, as suggested above.
    PING G400 LS 9* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Titleist T-MB 3 Iron - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour Spec
    Srixon 785 4-P - Nippon Pro Modus 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
    BiggErn wrote:

Whatever you play in warm weather. The Chrome Soft isn’t very soft and the Vice Pro Soft especially isn’t.

If those aren't 'soft', then which are? Oh, do tell...
    Epic Speeder 661
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,230 ✭✭
    Wilson duo urethane, if you can still find any.
    GSDriver wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

If those aren't 'soft', then which are? Oh, do tell...

Already did
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,230 ✭✭
    Callaway supersofts feel like a rubber ball on my irons, when cold. Don't notice it once it warms up, doesn't seem to effect distance though.
  • wgpincwgpinc Members Posts: 22 ✭✭
    My favorite day in and day out course is so wet that you can lose balls in the middle of the fairway to plugging. I'm currently playing an inexpensive and soft ball, the Top Flite D2+ Feel. There are quite a few good balls that perform well and are reasonably soft for cold weather performance. For the ones who like specs here is a golf ball compression chart. https://golf-info-guide.com/golf-tips/equipment-choices/golf-ball-compression-chart-and-rank/ Good luck.
  • St JimmySt Jimmy Members Posts: 397 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

Just curious, but do you know what the compression of a Pro Soft is?
    Ping G400
    Ping G400 stretch 3
    Mizuno HM 4 iron bent to 19 degrees
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura Y Grind 51
    Miura K Grind 56
    Scotty Golo 3
    St Jimmy wrote:

BiggErn wrote:

The core compression is like 35 but I’m not sure what the overall compression is. It doesn’t feel very soft.
  • tom.lockharttom.lockhart Members Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Titleist DT Trusoft or Srixon Q Star Tour

Pull out gamers once the weather gets above 45 or so.
    Titleist 917 D2 10.5* (9.75*) Diamana D+
    Titleist 917 F2 15* Diamana S+
    Titleist 917 F2 18* Diamana S+
    Titleist 816 H1 19* Atmos Blue
    Titleist 816 H1 23* Diamana S+
    Titleist 718 AP1 5-W i95 Steelfiber
    Titleist SM6 54.10S
    2016 Bettinardi BB1
    Snell MTB Black
    BiggErn wrote:

St Jimmy wrote:

BiggErn wrote:

Whatever you play in warm weather. The Chrome Soft isn't very soft and the Vice Pro Soft especially isn't.

The core compression is like 35 but I'm not sure what the overall compression is. It doesn't feel very soft.

Softness is in the hands of the archer, guess depends on what you consider soft and clubs you play.....both are plenty soft for me in colder temps
    Epic Speeder 661
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S