2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Need a Wood, 3 or 5?

Twism86

Hi Everyone,

So Im going to be starting my third season of golf, last year was my first full year and got in 25-30 rounds. I use an app for scoring and HC and am around a 20. I typically shoot low 90s. I struggled early last season with the driver but with enough practice have gotten away from hitting my 4i off the tee and now go driver as much as I can.

Ok, enough background info and on to my question. Ive upgraded my entire starter set at this point to the clubs in my signature with the exception of woods. Right now I dont have a wood in my bag, I have my driver and then my next longest club is my 4i. Im not great at hitting woods and I wont get any better by avoiding it, so I need to add a wood to my arsenal this year. My driver is 9.5* and my 4i is 20* so my question is would adding a 3w or 5w be more beneficial if I have to choose one (which I do). I know there are some HL 3w options to also split the difference even more. Also, would it be good to stick with the TaylorMade Aeroburner series to match my driver? I can still find these new and gently used for a steal!

Thanks,

Tom

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone,

So Im going to be starting my third season of golf, last year was my first full year and got in 25-30 rounds. I use an app for scoring and HC and am around a 20. I typically shoot low 90s. I struggled early last season with the driver but with enough practice have gotten away from hitting my 4i off the tee and now go driver as much as I can.

Ok, enough background info and on to my question. Ive upgraded my entire starter set at this point to the clubs in my signature with the exception of woods. Right now I dont have a wood in my bag, I have my driver and then my next longest club is my 4i. Im not great at hitting woods and I wont get any better by avoiding it, so I need to add a wood to my arsenal this year. My driver is 9.5* and my 4i is 20* so my question is would adding a 3w or 5w be more beneficial if I have to choose one (which I do). I know there are some HL 3w options to also split the difference even more. Also, would it be good to stick with the TaylorMade Aeroburner series to match my driver? I can still find these new and gently used for a steal!

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Tom

Generally with a fairway wood a little more loft is your friend. It takes some decent speed to optimize a 3 wood carry off the deck over a 4 or even 5 wood so I'd probably lean toward splitting the difference with either a 4w or a 3HL. No need to match your driver unless that's something that you really want to do. If you want to stick with TM and save a few bucks I'd go a year newer than the Aeroburner and get a '16 M2 3HL. The original M2 is pretty widely regarded as one of the best fairway woods in recent memory.

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9º (at 8º) Accra TZ5 65 M5

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Ti 15º Accra TZ5 75 M5

3i/4i: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus 120X (4i 1º weak)

5i-PW: Srixon Z-Forged Modus 120X

50º/54º/60º: Cleveland RTX 4 (Mid Bounce) Modus 120X (50º/54º) & DG TI S400 (60º)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2 (33.75", 70º lie, 2.5º loft)

Generally with a fairway wood a little more loft is your friend. It takes some decent speed to optimize a 3 wood carry off the deck over a 4 or even 5 wood so I'd probably lean toward splitting the difference with either a 4w or a 3HL. No need to match your driver unless that's something that you really want to do. If you want to stick with TM and save a few bucks I'd go a year newer than the Aeroburner and get a '16 M2 3HL. The original M2 is pretty widely regarded as one of the best fairway woods in recent memory.

Thanks Ill check out the prices on those! I would like the look of the matching head covers but thats just me being OCD... Of course all my TM clubs are in a cheap Top Flight bag so looks really dont matter at this point.

I agree with above. I haven't played a 3 wood in years and have no intention of going back. I recently placed an order for a 5 wood that I can lower the loft to 17 degrees so essentially plays as a 4 wood.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with AD-TP 7S
Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-DI 85S
Callaway X-Forged with Nippon Modus 105X 
Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges with KBS 610 stiff shafts
Scotty Cameron NP2
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

I had a much more long winded post that was basically asking the same thing - I need a fairway wood to get a step up from my 18* 3h.

Since I want to get something I can hit from the deck, I think I’ve settled on a 4w if the shaft I’m fitted to doesn’t work well with the Ping Anser 3w head I currently have. Right now I don’t get great launch with it from off the grass. Plus there are lots of reviews on YouTube showing that 4w might give some players better results than 3w from a distance perspective, based on launch conditions.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter

Adding a wood or hybrid that matches your driver make/model is not really important. I think the look and feel of the club is more important. If that turns out to match, then fine. Too, it might be easier for you to hit a 5 wood than a 3 wood and that would lessen the gap between your current 4 iron and a 3 wood. Good luck with your adventure!

If you’re having any doubts about a wood, then a 4 or 5 wood is probably for you. I’m a 10 handicap but I hit a good 3 wood once every 10 shots at best. Having the extra loft on a shorter club really makes a difference. You may also consider a hybrid in the range of 18-22°. As far as choosing a brand, this website is full of people who buy the latest and greatest... except for fairway woods! This is the hardest club to crack and people play v-steels, original big berthas, etc. Henrik Stenson uses a diablo octane from 2011 because even he is afraid to lose the magic.

I recommend the adams tightlies (in 14.5 3w or 16.5 4w), Wilson Fybrids (Padraig Harrington 10 years ago) or Burner Superfasts (my buddie loves the club) as cheaper fairway woods to try. More recent offerings that people have rated highly here (though I haven’t played) include the Callaway X2hot, indeed the Aeroburner, and the Big Bertha Alpha 816. There is also a recent ”best FW’s of the last 5 years thread floating around now.

Best of luck to you, you may find this to be the most elusive club in your bag to get right!

Consider getting a 4W or a 5W. The average golfer hits a 4W more reliably than a 3W, and often just as far. Some big hitters get more out of a 4W, depending how they come into the ball.

If you're sticking with TM, you might try the 3W.HL (17*), which the rest of the golf kingdom calls a 4W. One note: the 3W.HL has a shaft the same length as a 3W, so you might need to trim the shaft to get better control. (Aeroburner has a decent one, from what I hear)

Personally, I have been playing a 4W + 7W combination since 2012. Whether to get 7W or hybrid? Just do a side-by-side test. Some people hit high lofted FWs better, others hit hybrids better.

If you can find any Tour Edge FWs, give them a try. If you square up decently, these have square faces and won't give you trouble with hooks. If you can find a single-owner TE fairway wood, it would be cheaper than buying a new one. The Exotics brand has a cult following.

And if you can find one, try the Exotics XRail, a really helpful fairway wood model. Not the longest FW, but it launches the ball well.

Callaway has decent FWs. If you can find a Steelhead XR 4W or 5W, give it a try. A really decent club, it just got squeezed out quickly by "the next big thing." Callaway PreOwned has them for $100 or so. But, hopefully you can find one you can hit before you buy. The stock Tensei shafts came in both 55 and 65 gram.

Also, check out Cobra. For a great price, look for the fairway woods and hybrids from the FlyZ model (a couple of years back). Be aware that the FlyZ shafts are a bit firm to flex, so don't be afraid to try a Lite-flex if the R-flex feels a bit robust. (I still play FlyZ hybrids, see below.)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I would try or add hybrid first.

1. easier to hit then woods

2. cheaper than woods(typically)

Ping                       G430 10k Driver w/GD Tour AD VF 5S
Ping                       G430 3 Wood w/GD Tour AD UB 6S

Titleist                   Titleist u505 2 iron w/GD Tour AD IZ 95S

Titleist                   T200 4/T150 5-P Irons w/Axiom 105S

Titleist                   48F w/Axiom 105S 54S/60K Wedges w/Fujikura MCI 105 MILD

LAB                   Mezz 1 Max Broomstick w/Accra

I'm going with a 4 wood this season. 16.5 917f2

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

I went with a 4 wood, right in between. You can choke down, open the face, whichever method you employ to vary distance.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Without knowing anything else, I would also suggest the 3HL or something in the 17*-18* loft range. Generally, unless you are swinging 100 mph+ (driver) and consistently making perfect contact, a 3 wood (15* or less) is going to be difficult to play effectively off the deck.

Would also suggest giving a 5HL/7 wood or 4 hybrid (something in the low 20*s) a try. Most likely, this will be much easier for you to hit than a 4 iron.

I consider the option of going for a 5 wood lofted head with a 3 wood length shaft. This serves the purpose of having added length for distance and the extra loft to aid in launching the ball down the fairway, or achieving a difficult carry.

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b][color=#000000]Titleist TS3 10.5[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 9.2 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist TS3 13.5[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Aldila NV 95 x-flex[/color]--[color=#000000]-Titleist TS3 18.0[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Fujikura Fit-On Pro 95 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #3[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #5-#9[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]--[color=#000000]-Vokey SM7 46.10 F Grind[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 52.12 F Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 56.10 S Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 60.04 L Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Newport II[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Newport 2.5 350g.[/color] [color=#000000]welded neck[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Concept 2.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist ProV1x[/color][/b][/font][/size]

High swing speed=3/4 wood (can go for eagle on par 5's and 4's)

Low swing speed=play whatever you want

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Thanks for the replies! I think a 3W HL or 4W is probably the best for me right now. Im looking for something off the turf on long par 5s and something I can hit off the tee with more length than my 4i and more control than my driver. I dont swing very fast.

I accidentally created multiple threads and in my other one many people suggested a low hybrid. My 4i is already lofted at 20* so that already takes some out of contention. Also, when I have tried hybrids in the past they have produced nothing but giant slices for me and never went further than a regular iron anyways.

If you have a 20* 4i that you like then I'd get a 3w. Most 5w are 18* so not far off of your 4i. Get a forgiving 3w, with a shaft that fits your swing, that you can hit off the tee and off the deck.

I disagree with this approach. While a 5-wood is 18*, the longer shaft and hotter face will yield plenty more distance than a 4-iron.

My advice would be to buy a Ping 5-wood, and learn to love it. They are easy to hit, and can become very dependable.

When you find a 5-wood that works, you can then add a 3-wood or 4-wood.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse