Patrick Reed Golf Ball Change - Srixon XV?

greenwavegolfergreenwavegolfer Members Posts: 127 ✭✭
Just noticed on the API coverage during one of Reed's putts it looks like he's using one of the new Z-Star XVs this week. I know he'd been using a ProV1 for a while (I believe that's the ball he won the Masters with last year) and obviously the Chrome Soft before that when he was still sponsored by Callaway. I just thought it was interesting that he seems to be jumping around balls a bit now that he's a free agent.
WITB:

Ping G400 LST 10º (Playing 9º) Project X EvenFlow Black 6.0
Callaway Rogue SZ 3W (15º) Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.0
Srixon Z-785 3i/4i Nippon Modus Tour 120X
Srixon Z-Forged 5i-PW Nippon Modus Tour 120X
Titleist SM5 50º SM6 54º, 58º Dynamic Gold S200
Ping Sigma 2 Tyne

Comments

• WKYTrooperWKYTrooper Members Posts: 189 ClubWRX
    Saw the same but from the small glimpse I saw, it looked like the black number of the ZStar. I know he likes a softer ball as he previously went to the B330S before he went to the ProV but I may have been seeing things tho.
    PING G400 9* Alta X
    PING G25 15* Matrix Ozik Black Tie X
    PING G25 20* Matrix Ozik Red TIe X
    PING i20 4-PW green dot
    Titleist Vokey 51*, 56*, 60*
    Odyssey 7CS XG
  • zebra2955zebra2955 Members Posts: 557 ✭✭
    Definitely a Srixon but could not tell which one
    Cobra F7

Callaway Epic

Cobra F6 fairway woods

Cobra F6 hybrids, 3-4 and 4-5

Cobra F6 irons 6i -PW, GW

Harry Taylor 54* and 58* wedges

Odyssey "O" Works 2 ball, Super Stroke mid slim 2.0 grip

What ever ball Costco has LOL
  • Creedo77Creedo77 Members Posts: 733 ✭✭
    edited Mar 7, 2019 9:57pm #4
    PING G30 9*- Tour 65X
    PING G30 14.5*- Tour 65X
    PING i25 3-PW- CFS X
    PING Glide (SS) 50, 54, 58
    PING Anser
  • greenwavegolfergreenwavegolfer Members Posts: 127 ✭✭
    WKYTrooper wrote:

Saw the same but from the small glimpse I saw, it looked like the black number of the ZStar. I know he likes a softer ball as he previously went to the B330S before he went to the ProV but I may have been seeing things tho.

I thought I saw a red number but it was on a putt as it was rolling so tough to tell for sure. Since he used the regular ProV and Chromesoft models I'd assume the regular Z-Star would be it but I could've sworn I saw a red number. Probably the low quality on the GC stream on my computer this morning.
    WITB:

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
  • andrieddleandrieddle Members Posts: 1,798 ✭✭
    Does he stay free agent by choice or is it because no one approaches him? Anyone know?
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S
    [/font]
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,674 ✭✭
    andrieddle wrote:

Does he stay free agent by choice or is it because no one approaches him? Anyone know?

His off course charm approaches that of Bubba, perhaps he should give Volvic a roll?
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members Posts: 6,274 ✭✭
    I wonder if he was able to grab some during the Walmart deal?
    Confirmed it is the regular Z-Star, not the XV. He's marking it with 2 red dots next to the number so when the putt was rolling I must've seen the number as red with the blur.
    WITB:

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    andrieddle wrote:

I have to assume it's by choice. He's a big name and the reigning Master's champion. He's also sponsored by Nike so maybe he's making enough from the clothing deal he doesn't feel the need to take an equipment deal just to take one.
    WITB:

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    He, like Koepka, Fleetwood, and several others, have talked about being able to play the equipment they want, which leads to them playing better and will lead to more winner's money and trophies. That pay easily equals and passes the all one bag club deals companies offer.
    PING G400 9* Alta X
    PING i20 4-PW green dot
    Odyssey 7CS XG
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,212 ✭✭
    WKYTrooper wrote:

Sorry about being like this but you used 3 words describing sight in your first sentence. Just FYI, trying to stop the decay of our language. Haha
  • jc88jc88 Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

andrieddle wrote:

I have to assume it's by choice. He's a big name and the reigning Master's champion. He's also sponsored by Nike so maybe he's making enough from the clothing deal he doesn't feel the need to take an equipment deal just to take one.

He just likes to play around with different balls image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> That lame joke aside, I agree with your confirmation. He's using the regular Z star.
    I take it as confirmation that some of the "off course" money isn't quite what the fanbase might think.

Reed seemingly has a pretty lavish lifestyle. In his Feherety interview they show his home, wife's Range, baby daughter's play Range, etc. - would have you think that he's very aware of the dollar dollar bill y'all.

I'm assuming that if there was very much money on the table he'd pick a ball.

But, I'm sure due to his unpopularity, as I noted earlier, his pay to play money is a bit lower than an Adam Scott or Rickie Fowler type personality that everyone likes.
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,284 ✭✭
    Matt J wrote:

I take it as confirmation that some of the "off course" money isn't quite what the fanbase might think.

Reed seemingly has a pretty lavish lifestyle. In his Feherety interview they show his home, wife's Range, baby daughter's play Range, etc. - would have you think that he's very aware of the dollar dollar bill y'all.

But, I'm sure due to his unpopularity, as I noted earlier, his pay to play money is a bit lower than an Adam Scott or Rickie Fowler type personality that everyone likes.

Unless you get really lucky and get big money like some of the huge names do; the off-course money isn't what it used to be. Between getting paid by Nike and playing well as a free agent, I don't think Reed has a lot to worry about money wise unless he has some kind of terrible investment like others have.

His "lavish" lifestyle isn't anything that's unheard of for somebody making a few million a year, either.
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • dropkickeddropkicked Members Posts: 484 ✭✭
    A range isn't a lavish auto... It's not like his wifey is driving a urus.

Matt J wrote:

Unless you get really lucky and get big money like some of the huge names do; the off-course money isn't what it used to be. Between getting paid by Nike and playing well as a free agent, I don't think Reed has a lot to worry about money wise unless he has some kind of terrible investment like others have.

His "lavish" lifestyle isn't anything that's unheard of for somebody making a few million a year, either.

I'm not saying he's being irresponsible. Like you're saying if he's investing properly he'll not worry for money. But, he's not Sneds driving an old farm truck either. As I recall he likes fast cars himself.

Back on topic, a little more.... I can see taking this route for a winter, but I don't think I'd leave ball money on the table. I agree that I could play the TM, Titleist, or Srixon and actually just choose the Srixon because it's less expensive and more durable. If either TM or Titleist were willing to pay me and give me the balls for free I'd take the money. My guess, from sensing a little what P Reed is about... it's his way of thumbing his nose at the industry.
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,284 ✭✭
    Matt J wrote:

Matt J wrote:

I'm not saying he's being irresponsible. Like you're saying if he's investing properly he'll not worry for money. But, he's not Sneds driving an old farm truck either. As I recall he likes fast cars himself.

Back on topic, a little more.... I can see taking this route for a winter, but I don't think I'd leave ball money on the table. I agree that I could play the TM, Titleist, or Srixon and actually just choose the Srixon because it's less expensive and more durable. If either TM or Titleist were willing to pay me and give me the balls for free I'd take the money. My guess, from sensing a little what P Reed is about... it's his way of thumbing his nose at the industry.

He does enjoy fast cars, you are correct. But, assuming I'm remembering right, some of them are limited production cars that generally will appreciate some for the most expensive ones.

I don't really know how much money is in it for a player when it comes to a ball contract. I would have to guess that Reed is still getting the balls he's playing for nothing, but I could be way off base there. I remember seeing an article a while back that said a ball only contract may be worth somewhere between $50-100K a year, but also not sure what level of truth that had as the only guys I know and have talked to about numbers have full equipment contracts. While I agree it's stupid to leave that kind of money out there if somebody is willing to pay it, it's also possible that he's perfectly content not taking it and feeling like he is having his hand forced to something.
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
    edited Mar 12, 2019 6:44pm #19
    BB28403 wrote:

WKYTrooper wrote:

Sorry about being like this but you used 3 words describing sight in your first sentence. Just FYI, trying to stop the decay of our language. Haha

Sooooo, it's a message board forum.... Just sayin.
    PING G400 9* Alta X
    PING i20 4-PW green dot
    Odyssey 7CS XG
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members Posts: 6,274 ✭✭
    Maybe he just likes the ball?
  • stanger37stanger37 Members Posts: 352 ✭✭
    Fairly certain from the camera angle at the Players just now, it looked like the Callaway ERC ball with the lines.
    Nike Vapor Fly Driver 9.5*
    ]Nike Vapor Fly 3W 15*
    Nike Vapor Fly 7W 21*
    Taylormade PSI 4-PW
    Cleveland RTX 52/10
    Cleveland CG15 56/14
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60
    Odyessy O-Works #7
  • 300yard+300yard+ Members Posts: 723 ✭✭

I wonder if he was able to grab some during the Walmart deal?
    I was there last nite..the yellow is on clearance for $5 a dozen..
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... location, location.Members Posts: 7,803 ✭✭
    stanger37 wrote:

Fairly certain from the camera angle at the Players just now, it looked like the Callaway ERC ball with the lines.

If anything, it's Phil's Chrome Soft.
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
  • ArniesArmy1234ArniesArmy1234 Members Posts: 95 ✭✭
    The Srixon is a great ball for sure