WRX Spotlight: FootJoy 1857 golf shoes

Product: FootJoy 1857 golf shoes

Pitch: From FootJoy: "The 1857 Collection is carefully crafted by the finest shoemakers in the world, painstakingly executing over 150 steps to produce the highest quality footwear for the most discerning golf enthusiast. A tried and tested method used for over 100 years. Hand-selecting premium calfskin leathers, utilizing classic goodyear welt construction and ensuring detailed, impeccable finishes are just a few steps in our unique manufacturing process."

Screen-Shot-2019-03-06-at-16.39.53.png

Our take on FootJoy's 1857 golf shoes

When it comes to premium, high-end golf shoes, FootJoy 1857 goes all out. The company's shoes carry with them a whopping price-tag of $750, enough to scare away most golfers on the lookout for a pair of kicks. But it's only when you examine the detail and craftsmanship of the shoes that it all makes sense.

Right off the bat, the throwback style of the shoes is eye-catching. The 1857 shoes are designed with history in mind, with an exquisite look.

Read more.

Comments

• SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX Posts: 944 ClubWRX
    **** the white ones in the middle are SWEET. But at $750 not gonna happen. I get enough flak ( enjoy it though ) from the guys on having PXG irons and Staff Bag!!!!

post-522420-0-44873200-1551994259_thumb.jpg

Taylor Made M6 10.5 * | Ventus 6s
    Taylor Made M4 | Graphite Design IZ-7s
    Adams Pro A12 2 / 3 Hybrids | UST Mamiya Silver
    PXG Gen 2 0311P 3 - GW | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
    Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
    PXG Gunboat H Putter 
    PXG Staff Bag
    Snell MTB Black
  • toctoc Members Posts: 2,872 ✭✭
    Super classy looking but my feet hurt just looking at them
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • signals678signals678 SMM ClubWRX Posts: 470 ClubWRX
    Where are these made?
  • rtraudtrtraudt Members Posts: 1,785 ✭✭
    toc wrote:

Super classy looking but my feet hurt just looking at them

I've got a couple pairs of Allen Edmonds golf shoes (which they sadly don't make anymore) and they're actually some of my most comfortable shoes and provide good stability. Good dress shoes are phenomenally comfortable. But $750 is certainly steep (I can say that I paid WELL less than that for the AE's...benefit of living near the factory store and going to the annual tent sales) and a heck of a lot more than I'd pay.
    Callaway Epic SZ 11* ACCRA TZ6 
    Callaway Epic Flash 17* Atmos Red Tour Spec 7
    TM TP UDI 21* Nunchuk Xi
    Adams MB2 Raw 4-P PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 52, 58 Nippon Modus 115
    Byron Morgan 612
    Sun Mountain 3.5/CaddyTek
    Snell MTB Red
  • BlackettBlackett Members Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Very nice.. but goodness gracious $750 is outrageous
  • Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn Members Posts: 2,343 ✭✭
    My opinion here,,, to me leather soled golf shoes were really comfortable with metal spikes. These look like they will become extremely uncomfortable when the leather sole breaks in and begins to flex but the plastic spikes sit on top of the ground and not sink in... Great looking shoes though..
  • obsessed_golferobsessed_golfer Members Posts: 664 ✭✭
    Should have just kept making the classics!
  • GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche Members Posts: 11,730 ✭✭
    Yeah, for that money I can buy a pair of she'll cordovan shoes and THEN a reasonable pair of golf shoes.

These are better off as show pieces.
    M5 9.0°, 757 Evo IV
    Mizuno ST-180 16°, Atmos Blue 8x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

X Forged '18  5-P, PX 6.5
    MD Forged 50/54/58

Piretti Potenza
    Tour BX

• WHC888WHC888 Members Posts: 2,738 ✭✭
    I like the overall look of the shoes and don't mind the price tag either, but only wish if they incorporated spikes differently. feel like they just slap on some spikes on the sole because they have to.

6MEWtMY.png
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamonds 9* w/ Fuji VENTUS
    Taylormade M5 Rocket 3 wood
    Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons KBS FLT
    Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons KBS C Taper Lite
    Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons KBS $ Taper

NIKE OVEN Engage Wedges 46* Mike Taylor Specials

ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet ws8C8Un.jpg
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 49* wedge / KBS $Taper
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 53* wedge / KBS $Taper
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 58* wedge / KBS $Taper

Taylormade P7TW on deck

xG7EixQ.png
  • PreppySlapCutPreppySlapCut This is just babytown frolics... Members Posts: 6,419 ✭✭
    signals678 wrote:

Where are these made?
    Portugal, I believe.
    Ping G410+ 9* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 (X)
    Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Tour 80 (X)
    Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Kuchar Proto 85 (X)
    Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,066 ✭✭
    I went on a Footjoy Classic Dry Premier mission the years after they stopped producing them. Literally found them for pennies on the dollar on EBay and accumulated many pairs. I love my Classics but would never pay $750 bucks for a glorified version of the same shoes.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • ScottJNScottJN Members Posts: 33 ✭✭
    These look amazing. Seems to be a quality shoe but should be under $400. At 750 I could get some look alike gfores, footjoypair of pro sls, and some quality dress shoes. Would love to know what it costs to make a pair.
  • atltlatltl MIURA Fan Members Posts: 114 ✭✭
    Ive accumulated over 25 pair of Classics and Classic Premiers over the years. A couple pair are brand new. Never paid more than $150 a pair. I agree with a previous post, the spikes look like an afterthought. All mine have 11 spikes per shoe.
  • Personally I wear the FJ Icon Blacks; which have similar styling, cork insoles and are probably a lot lighter than the 1857 collection. These 1857s look great, but I’ll bet your legs get tired if you tried walking 36 in them.
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,711 ✭✭
    $750 ? I'm just gonna crazy-glue some spikes on some Gucci loafers. image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':russian_roulette:' />
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,421 ✭✭
    The pics of the spikes ruined everything for me. That's terrible.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,371 ✭✭
    My Icon Blacks are very well made, comfortable, and have a quality look to them. These 1857’s better be really special to cost two and a half times more.
  • SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX Posts: 944 ClubWRX
    Big Ben wrote:

I went on a Footjoy Classic Dry Premier mission the years after they stopped producing them. Literally found them for pennies on the dollar on EBay and accumulated many pairs. I love my Classics but would never pay $750 bucks for a glorified version of the same shoes.

I did the same thing, maybe it's been you I have bid against in the past, LOL!!!

I'm sure others have way more than me but I have 9 pair of the Dryjoy premiers.

Taylor Made M6 10.5 * | Ventus 6s
    Taylor Made M4 | Graphite Design IZ-7s
    Adams Pro A12 2 / 3 Hybrids | UST Mamiya Silver
    PXG Gen 2 0311P 3 - GW | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
    Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
    PXG Gunboat H Putter 
    PXG Staff Bag
    Snell MTB Black
  • Jordan SpeethJordan Speeth ClubWRX Posts: 1,090 ClubWRX
    In the mid 60's when I started playing the game, a pair of these would set you back around $450 and up, which is at least $2000-$2500 in today's cash, making these quite a bargain if they're as good as the originals. Back in the day, I'd get to buy a pair of "irregulars" from McCaffery's every few years and even those were $100, a fortune for a kid making $1.65/hr as a busboy. I'd always end up with some goofy color scheme since there wasn't much to choose from in the irregular bin. These were the ONLY shoes to have, and every single PGA Tour Pro wore them. They were the only shoes that were anything close to waterproof, but they needed lots of care since I didn't belong to a country club with a shoe valet. I spent a good half hour every night cleaning and caring for the shoes before putting in a pair of stretchers and hoping they'd dry out by the next day. Those were the days that I played EVERY day and my father would never have understood the need for more than one pair of $100 golf shoes. I hate to see the classic shoe disappearing from the game and I applaud Justin Thomas and the others who still wear traditionally styled shoes. Someday, maybe they'll make a comeback. BTW, I still have two pairs of the Classics, one black and one white, both with the shield toe but I don't wear them much anymore. They're still the most comfortable golf shoe available....after the break-in.
    Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
    Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
    Ping G400 17* 2-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Ping G 22* 4-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Callaway Apex Pro 5-Gap- Steelfiber i95
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 56- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Odyssey White Hot #7 38"- Superstroke Tank Slim 13"
    Golf Pride MCC Grips
    Wilson Duo Urethane (this week)
    MG Elite Glove
    2018 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag
  • MBA-JMBA-J Mr. November Members Posts: 1,131 ✭✭
    I own a lot of the similarly styled Goodyear-welted Allen Edmonds golf shoes, and the primary problem with those shoes is that they are not waterproof. What is the waterproofing like on this model? The article on the GolfWRX home page says that they are waterproof; however, I haven't been able to substantiate that with any of the FJ 1857 literature.

I was about to purchase some of the FJ 1857 apparel, but I can't wear cotton knit polo shirts anymore after playing in performance materials. I don't know if this sub-brand is going to be around long.
    TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
    TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
    Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
    Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
    Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls