2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

Jason Day. Out not with a bang but with a whimper.

2
3

Comments

  • freeze16172002freeze16172002  184WRX Points: 189Members Posts: 184
    Joined:  #32


    cvhookem63 wrote:


    It looks like his back injury didn't keep him from making a trip to the Magic Kingdom today



    D1J_2DzX0AEnPF3.jpg



    D1KFcUkW0AEO-zg.jpg




    I get the paparazzi pic which is the first one, but how do we have a copy of the second pic??




    Someone stalked him to wait for him to go on a ride and then they took a photo of the photo display at the end. Funny but strange and sad at the same time that people go through that kind of effort or care enough. I mean the dude is enjoying Disney with his family and people have to intrigue for their own personal pleasure.
    It is weird that he was being stalked and didnt know it. They took a pic hiding behind that "pole" then followed him to a ride and waited for the disney pic to show up
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • scratchswingerscratchswinger  16420WRX Points: 339Members Posts: 16,420
    Joined:  #33



    cvhookem63 wrote:


    It looks like his back injury didn't keep him from making a trip to the Magic Kingdom today



    D1J_2DzX0AEnPF3.jpg



    D1KFcUkW0AEO-zg.jpg




    I get the paparazzi pic which is the first one, but how do we have a copy of the second pic??




    Someone stalked him to wait for him to go on a ride and then they took a photo of the photo display at the end. Funny but strange and sad at the same time that people go through that kind of effort or care enough. I mean the dude is enjoying Disney with his family and people have to intrigue for their own personal pleasure.
    It is weird that he was being stalked and didnt know it. They took a pic hiding behind that "pole" then followed him to a ride and waited for the disney pic to show up




    The guy that’s taking the picture I assume is with his family also, I mean who goes there alone? So are that guys wife and kids stalking to? Or are they waiting while daddy stalks? Or did daddy take a potty break that took longer than normal?
    Posted:
  • Ignatius ReillyIgnatius Reilly  484WRX Points: 190Handicap: 14Members Posts: 484
    Joined:  #34


    Back injury again. He just withdrew from API. He is never healthy enough to really get in gear. Is this basically the end of Jason Day? Soon he'll just be on medical leave waiting to get better, and time will move on. Quite a shame because he could've been one of the greats.

    BiggErn wrote:


    I somehow never think he is as bad off as he lets on. Seems to be a bit of a drama queen.




    No question in my mind.



    Obviously, the dude pays for himself and his caddy and sometimes his family to travel to events that could pay him millions, and then fakes an injury and bails.



    Good strategy if you hate money, fame, trophies, etc.



    Less good if you're a pro athlete, but..... I'm sure that's what's happening.



    And that's too bad because I agree with the OP - he could have been one of the greats.
    Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 19978WRX Points: 3,936ClubWRX Posts: 19,978
    Joined:  #35
    You take the kids on a trip to Florida from Ohio in the winter and they are looking forward to Disney World, you bet dad is tagging along even if his back hurts. Good on him.
    Posted:
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan  4165WRX Points: 1,300Members Posts: 4,165
    Joined:  #36
    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    You take the kids on a trip to Florida from Ohio in the winter and they are looking forward to Disney World, you bet dad is tagging along even if his back hurts. Good on him.


    This is truth. Been there done that.
    Posted:
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

    In the bag:

    PING. Lots of PING.
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FL 5721WRX Points: 1,227Members Posts: 5,721
    Joined:  #37
    provx wrote:


    The dude pushed his body to the limits working out and became #1 in the world. Now he is injured because of it. Call me crazy but i would take that tradeoff, he cashed in on that hard work while it lasted.




    Nonsense. Working out has nothing to do with it.



    Restricted hip turn in backswing and violent downswing more likely the culprit.
    Posted:
    USGA Index: ~1

    WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • scratchswingerscratchswinger  16420WRX Points: 339Members Posts: 16,420
    Joined:  #38
    By his body type I can’t imagine his workouts or diets being very intense. A “workout” likely includes band work, stretching, and maybe some calisthenics.
    Posted:
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses  10861WRX Points: 666Members Posts: 10,861
    Joined:  #39


    By his body type I can’t imagine his workouts or diets being very intense. A “workout” likely includes band work, stretching, and maybe some calisthenics.




    “I started out the year in quite good shape, but my upper body was almost too big,” Day said. “For golf, you can’t have a big upper body and a small lower one. You’ve got to have big strong legs and a strong core. I do a lot of squats, do a lot trap-bar deadlifts, and a lot of sumo deadlifts.”



    https://www.mensjournal.com/sports/how-7-golfers-train-blast-powerful-drives-pga-tour/3-brooks-koepa/
    Posted:
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 14.5* (DI-7X)
    Ping G400 Crossover 19* (Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S)
    Ping i20 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl  6095WRX Points: 1,090Members Posts: 6,095
    Joined:  #40
    tiderider wrote:


    tight shirts don't help the lower back that much ...




    Compression shirts? Maybe that is the reason.
    Posted:
  • elwhippyelwhippy  3366WRX Points: 327Members Posts: 3,366
    Joined:  #41
    For an Aussie he lacks backbone and fighting spirit.
    Posted:
  • oikos1oikos1  2584WRX Points: 416Members Posts: 2,584
    Joined:  #42
    cvhookem63 wrote:


    It looks like his back injury didn't keep him from making a trip to the Magic Kingdom today



    D1J_2DzX0AEnPF3.jpg



    D1KFcUkW0AEO-zg.jpg




    Better living through chemistry.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • DavidwDavidw Adelaide, Australia 41WRX Points: 22Handicap: 19Members Posts: 41
    Joined:  #43
    elwhippy wrote:


    For an Aussie he lacks backbone and fighting spirit.




    Exactly . He may well have an injury now but a few years ago he was always talking about every illness that came his way and affected his performance .



    Take some tablets and deal with it...you’re an elite sportsman.
    Posted:
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct  28086WRX Points: 4,381Members Posts: 28,086
    Joined:  #44
    Holy Moses wrote:



    By his body type I can’t imagine his workouts or diets being very intense. A “workout” likely includes band work, stretching, and maybe some calisthenics.




    “I started out the year in quite good shape, but my upper body was almost too big,” Day said. “For golf, you can’t have a big upper body and a small lower one. You’ve got to have big strong legs and a strong core. I do a lot of squats, do a lot trap-bar deadlifts, and a lot of sumo deadlifts.”



    https://www.mensjournal.com/sports/how-7-golfers-train-blast-powerful-drives-pga-tour/3-brooks-koepa/




    Maybe in his mind ; )



    JD like



    Posted:
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL  6708WRX Points: 1,684Members Posts: 6,708
    Joined:  #45
    Davidw wrote:

    elwhippy wrote:


    For an Aussie he lacks backbone and fighting spirit.




    Exactly . He may well have an injury now but a few years ago he was always talking about every illness that came his way and affected his performance .



    Take some tablets and deal with it...you're an elite sportsman.




    tenor.gif
    Posted:
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL  6708WRX Points: 1,684Members Posts: 6,708
    Joined:  #46

    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    You take the kids on a trip to Florida from Ohio in the winter and they are looking forward to Disney World, you bet dad is tagging along even if his back hurts. Good on him.


    This is truth. Been there done that.




    Amen brother!
    Posted:
  • BaddsBadds  1848WRX Points: 1,267Handicap: NoMembers Posts: 1,848
    Joined:  #47
    lowheel wrote:

    Davidw wrote:

    elwhippy wrote:


    For an Aussie he lacks backbone and fighting spirit.




    Exactly . He may well have an injury now but a few years ago he was always talking about every illness that came his way and affected his performance .



    Take some tablets and deal with it...you're an elite sportsman.




    tenor.gif




    The Australian sense of machismo fascinates me.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Steele47Steele47  1654WRX Points: 808Members Posts: 1,654
    Joined:  #48
    Crocodile Dundee. Mad Max. Rebel Wilson. These are tough acts to follow.
    Posted:
  • USCHawks31USCHawks31  190WRX Points: 74Members Posts: 190
    Joined:  #49
    Steele47 wrote:


    Crocodile Dundee. Mad Max. Rebel Wilson. These are tough acts to follow.




    Robert Allenby.
    Posted:
  • gvogelgvogel  8027WRX Points: 1,015Members Posts: 8,027
    Joined:  #50
    Higgs66 wrote:


    Longevity in golf does not seem possible with modern tempo/speed. Is a shorter ball better for all?




    +1.



    Also a smaller club head, so they have to throttle back.
    Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • provxprovx  864WRX Points: 109Members Posts: 864
    Joined:  #51
    dpb5031 wrote:

    provx wrote:


    The dude pushed his body to the limits working out and became #1 in the world. Now he is injured because of it. Call me crazy but i would take that tradeoff, he cashed in on that hard work while it lasted.




    Nonsense. Working out has nothing to do with it.



    Restricted hip turn in backswing and violent downswing more likely the culprit.




    Swinging over 120mph is tough on your body no more how smooth or violent it looks. The weight room helped him get to that speed.



    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
    Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
    Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
    Biomech Acculock
    Snell MTB Black
  • Air23Air23  41WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 41
    Joined:  #52
    Wouldn't be shocked if he wins The Players this week.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984  5766WRX Points: 1,222Handicap: 3Members Posts: 5,766
    Joined:  #53
    With all this talk of colder weather with The Players being in March and not May, I sure hope that he doesn't pick up a bad case of the sniffles!!



    In all seriousness, I have never quite been able to get my head around Day. One minute, he looks like he is a world beater and he was rightly the World Number 1. That stretch of golf that he had from mid way through 2015 through 2016 was just incredible. The fire in the belly seems to have gone now. It's understandable. He is absolutely loaded, lovely wife, three kids. The desire levels must have slipped. I'm going to call it now, he will never be the player that he was in 2016 and he'll never be world number one again.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • sefus12sefus12  1555WRX Points: 117Members Posts: 1,555
    Joined:  #54
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

    BearQ wrote:

    Higgs66 wrote:


    Longevity in golf does not seem possible with modern tempo/speed. Is a shorter ball better for all?




    Isn’t a speed issue persay. It’s the extreme unnatural angles they create coupled with the high speed transition.



    Day doesn’t rotate hips much at all. I never hit it like him but I had similar issues, I’m two hip labral repair and two herniated now. If he think he can’t walk now...




    I feel like a lot of the old timers took a good crack at it. Jack and Arnie didn’t leave much in the tank and they played for a long long time. It just seemed like maybe their swings were more free flowing when compared to Day.




    The longer swings with exaggerated turns and movement seemed to have limited injuries for many.... Jack, Phil, Daly. Day's back issues were inevitable with the way he forces that much torque by limiting hip movement while maximizing shoulder turn.
    Posted:
    Nike CT 2.0 w/Kuro Kage TiNi 60x
    TM Rocketballz Tour 13*
    Titleist 913h 17* w/D+ 92s
    TM Rocketbladez Tour w/KBS Tour S
    Odyssey Rossie FB1
    Titleist Vokey SM4 Wedges
  • ShallowfaceShallowface  1503WRX Points: 224Members Posts: 1,503
    Joined:  #55
    sefus12 wrote:

    ebrasmus21 wrote:

    BearQ wrote:

    Higgs66 wrote:


    Longevity in golf does not seem possible with modern tempo/speed. Is a shorter ball better for all?




    Isn’t a speed issue persay. It’s the extreme unnatural angles they create coupled with the high speed transition.



    Day doesn’t rotate hips much at all. I never hit it like him but I had similar issues, I’m two hip labral repair and two herniated now. If he think he can’t walk now...




    I feel like a lot of the old timers took a good crack at it. Jack and Arnie didn’t leave much in the tank and they played for a long long time. It just seemed like maybe their swings were more free flowing when compared to Day.




    The longer swings with exaggerated turns and movement seemed to have limited injuries for many.... Jack, Phil, Daly. Day's back issues were inevitable with the way he forces that much torque by limiting hip movement while maximizing shoulder turn.




    Sam Snead. An "in and over" type of swing, over being that the downswing is slightly above the backswing plane. He certainly never lacked for distance.



    Hale Irwin uses this type of swing, never has been injured to my knowledge and is still good in his 70s.



    The late Bruce Lietzke used this type of swing and was legendary for his game always being there despite lack of practice. Lietzke would have won a bunch more if not for his putting. I believe there was one year where he was dead last in putting, first in GIR and tenth on the money list.



    Golfers have often had a complex of sorts due to the fact that many don't consider them to be athletes. Now that so many of them are putting themselves through the same workout routines that athletes in other sports have followed for years, they may well find that their careers are over in their 30s just like the athletes in other sports. Is that really what they want?



    I always appreciated the view of Bob Murphy, who said something along the lines of "I've had athlete's foot, so I guess that makes me an athlete."



    At the end of the day, the truth is the guys that generate crazy clubhead speed are gifted, same as someone who can throw a baseball 95 MPH or a football 70 yards. If you don't have those gifts, it may be possible to get a little better in the gym, but it will never be to the extent that those who have those gifts can achieve.



    I didn't believe that for the longest time, but I do now.
    Posted:
  • gsrjcgsrjc TOC  1743WRX Points: 518Members Posts: 1,743
    Joined:  #56
    Live from the players just said he had 4 cortisone shots in his back after the API. That is crazy. I hope he knows that will end up breaking down his back more just because of what is in those shots.
    Posted:
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL  6708WRX Points: 1,684Members Posts: 6,708
    Joined:  #57
    gsrjc wrote:


    Live from the players just said he had 4 cortisone shots in his back after the API. That is crazy. I hope he knows that will end up breaking down his back more just because of what is in those shots.




    Its to numb the sciatic nerve and alleviate the inflammation.its better than surgery but is only temporary unfortunately as i know all too well
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome  1006WRX Points: 296Handicap: 5Members Posts: 1,006
    Joined:  #58
    sefus12 wrote:

    ebrasmus21 wrote:

    BearQ wrote:

    Higgs66 wrote:


    Longevity in golf does not seem possible with modern tempo/speed. Is a shorter ball better for all?




    Isn’t a speed issue persay. It’s the extreme unnatural angles they create coupled with the high speed transition.



    Day doesn’t rotate hips much at all. I never hit it like him but I had similar issues, I’m two hip labral repair and two herniated now. If he think he can’t walk now...




    I feel like a lot of the old timers took a good crack at it. Jack and Arnie didn’t leave much in the tank and they played for a long long time. It just seemed like maybe their swings were more free flowing when compared to Day.




    The longer swings with exaggerated turns and movement seemed to have limited injuries for many.... Jack, Phil, Daly. Day's back issues were inevitable with the way he forces that much torque by limiting hip movement while maximizing shoulder turn.




    Jack had bad hips and a bad back all through his career. I'm positive that guys in Jack's time were injured more than we know just because information wasn't spread as widely as today.
    Posted:
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan  4165WRX Points: 1,300Members Posts: 4,165
    Joined:  #59

    sefus12 wrote:

    ebrasmus21 wrote:

    BearQ wrote:

    Higgs66 wrote:


    Longevity in golf does not seem possible with modern tempo/speed. Is a shorter ball better for all?




    Isn’t a speed issue persay. It’s the extreme unnatural angles they create coupled with the high speed transition.



    Day doesn’t rotate hips much at all. I never hit it like him but I had similar issues, I’m two hip labral repair and two herniated now. If he think he can’t walk now...




    I feel like a lot of the old timers took a good crack at it. Jack and Arnie didn’t leave much in the tank and they played for a long long time. It just seemed like maybe their swings were more free flowing when compared to Day.




    The longer swings with exaggerated turns and movement seemed to have limited injuries for many.... Jack, Phil, Daly. Day's back issues were inevitable with the way he forces that much torque by limiting hip movement while maximizing shoulder turn.




    Jack had bad hips and a bad back all through his career. I'm positive that guys in Jack's time were injured more than we know just because information wasn't spread as widely as today.


    It’s very true. Byron Nelson spent time at the mayo clinic during his historic run because his back hurt so much. It fits with my theory that the repetitive motion of a high speed golf swing, with any method, isn’t great for the back. Certain people are just blessed with great health and resilient bodies, others the opposite.
    Posted:
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

    In the bag:

    PING. Lots of PING.
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan  4165WRX Points: 1,300Members Posts: 4,165
    Joined:  #60
    lowheel wrote:

    gsrjc wrote:


    Live from the players just said he had 4 cortisone shots in his back after the API. That is crazy. I hope he knows that will end up breaking down his back more just because of what is in those shots.




    Its to numb the sciatic nerve and alleviate the inflammation.its better than surgery but is only temporary unfortunately as i know all too well


    He’s got a few weeks of really good golf swings ahead of him. Then probably back to this only slightly worse. The same thing happens when I previously got cortisone in my shoulders. I picked up 10 mph (100% serious) on my driver and swung amazing, but it was most certainly short term gain, long term pain (those few weeks of sleeping through the night were heavenly though).
    Posted:
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

    In the bag:

    PING. Lots of PING.
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation  1369WRX Points: 371Members Posts: 1,369
    Joined:  #61
    Ouch people pretty harsh on Day. He is a former world number one with a bad back. Only thing that might make him better is back surgery, but you don't really want to go there unless you have to. So he's stuck in this limbo phase. For the guys saying tough it out, it's not like he just has to tough it out for a tournament or two! He has to tough it out for the rest of his career! And these guys golf more than any of us (apart from the lucky few).
    Posted:
    TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

    Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
3

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.