Jason Day. Out not with a bang but with a whimper.

13»

Comments

• beluga99beluga99 If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too... Members Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steele47 wrote:

Crocodile Dundee. Mad Max. Rebel Wilson. These are tough acts to follow.

Don't forget ultimate tough guy Vernon Wells. Was there ever a bigger bad a$$ than Bennett in 'Commando'?
    G400
    917 F2
    Anser 18 + 23
    Fli-Hi
    919T 6-P
    SM7 52F 56F 60D
    Odyssey
  • Rob McHughRob McHugh Rob ClubWRX Posts: 1,002 ClubWRX
    Steele47 wrote:

Crocodile Dundee. Mad Max. Rebel Wilson. These are tough acts to follow.

Mate, our prime minister was actually in the Guinness Book of Records for skulling beer!

Rob
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Day but always felt he was one of those guys that used health / injury as an excuse for playing bad golf. I've see him stripe a 350 yard drive down the middle of the fairway without a wince then put one into the woods and hold his back. I have a golf buddy that does this, always claims to be in pain but only seems to be bothered by the pain when he hits a bad shot.
    Driver - Home Ping G410 + 9.5*   Away Ping G400 Max 10*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Apex CF-19 5-SW
    Wedge - PXG 58* 
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • airjammerairjammer Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    new2g0lf wrote:

I like Day but always felt he was one of those guys that used health / injury as an excuse for playing bad golf. I've see him stripe a 350 yard drive down the middle of the fairway without a wince then put one into the woods and hold his back. I have a golf buddy that does this, always claims to be in pain but only seems to be bothered by the pain when he hits a bad shot.

When Tiger was going thru his back troubles he did the same thing.

My opinion is that he mailed it in in this particular instance. Not saying that he doesn’t have a back condition, more of if he was 4 under thru the first 9 holes at the John deere he would have continued.

This is considered work to these guys..he basically put in for a week of vacation when he got into work a whole lot of bs was going down.
  • bubbagumpbubbagump SLDR $5000 Challenge The EmpireMembers Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 13, 2019 3:14pm #66
    This thread is wild lol. He spent a day with his family.... not join ISIS.......

Dudes accomplished more athletically then anybody on here, made generational money, has a cool little family and gets to play golf for a living. Good for him, enjoy some PTO bro.
    8.5* Ping G400 LST with TS Speeder 7.2
    12* SLDR Mini with TS Speeder 7.2
    17* Ping G400 with TS Speeder 9.8
    19* Mizuno MP18 FLI HI with KBS C-taper
    5-GW Mizuno JPX 900 Forged with KBS C-taper
    60* Cleveland RTX-3 CB with KBS C-taper

Toulon Atlanta
  • TreyWingbatTreyWingbat Members Posts: 472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 13, 2019 3:44pm #67
    Props to him for yelling though when his lasers go awry:

JD.jpg
    The average WRX'er drives it 342, and hits a 7-iron 220.*
    *Distances measured in feet, not yards.
  • anthanth From the Land Down Under Members Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    sefus12 wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

BearQ wrote:

Higgs66 wrote:

Longevity in golf does not seem possible with modern tempo/speed. Is a shorter ball better for all?

Isn’t a speed issue persay. It’s the extreme unnatural angles they create coupled with the high speed transition.

Day doesn’t rotate hips much at all. I never hit it like him but I had similar issues, I’m two hip labral repair and two herniated now. If he think he can’t walk now...

I feel like a lot of the old timers took a good crack at it. Jack and Arnie didn’t leave much in the tank and they played for a long long time. It just seemed like maybe their swings were more free flowing when compared to Day.

The longer swings with exaggerated turns and movement seemed to have limited injuries for many.... Jack, Phil, Daly. Day's back issues were inevitable with the way he forces that much torque by limiting hip movement while maximizing shoulder turn.

Freddy Couples?
    Callaway Rogue 10.5
    Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
    Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
    Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
    Srixon Z 765/965 5 - PW
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 50 & 54
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi Toe 58
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    TaylorMade TP5
  • The GeneralThe General Members Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Well Day swings 3000% and you would think that after the first 5 times he had back issues, he would tone it back a few notches. Pun intended.
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    He should learn how to slide to take pressure off back.......

no really lol...... I know it one of the fundamentals issues amateurs struggle to get rid of but at his skill level he could do it on purpose instead of that turn only back killing type swing
    G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • TreyWingbatTreyWingbat Members Posts: 472 ✭✭✭✭
    I've dialed my swing speed down to 2.4 mph... granted my score is in the 1200's, but my golfing career will last another 800 or so years. Well worth the trade-off.
    The average WRX'er drives it 342, and hits a 7-iron 220.*
    *Distances measured in feet, not yards.
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

lowheel wrote:

gsrjc wrote:

Live from the players just said he had 4 cortisone shots in his back after the API. That is crazy. I hope he knows that will end up breaking down his back more just because of what is in those shots.

Its to numb the sciatic nerve and alleviate the inflammation.its better than surgery but is only temporary unfortunately as i know all too well

He's got a few weeks of really good golf swings ahead of him. Then probably back to this only slightly worse. The same thing happens when I previously got cortisone in my shoulders. I picked up 10 mph (100% serious) on my driver and swung amazing, but it was most certainly short term gain, long term pain (those few weeks of sleeping through the night were heavenly though).

I can completely relate.I felt awesome ( very loose and numb) for 3 weeks and i too was able to sleep all through the night for the first time in 6 months then suddenly just like that it was back. Its better for shoulders,knees elbows hands but for the back its hit or miss.Some people see benefits for 2 months some for 2 weeks some not at all. It really helps with inflammation to the point that you feel like you can do more than you should! I miss that sleep though!
  • ShallowfaceShallowface Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 7:26am #73
    anth wrote:

sefus12 wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

BearQ wrote:

Higgs66 wrote:

Longevity in golf does not seem possible with modern tempo/speed. Is a shorter ball better for all?

Isn't a speed issue persay. It's the extreme unnatural angles they create coupled with the high speed transition.

Day doesn't rotate hips much at all. I never hit it like him but I had similar issues, I'm two hip labral repair and two herniated now. If he think he can't walk now...

I feel like a lot of the old timers took a good crack at it. Jack and Arnie didn't leave much in the tank and they played for a long long time. It just seemed like maybe their swings were more free flowing when compared to Day.

The longer swings with exaggerated turns and movement seemed to have limited injuries for many.... Jack, Phil, Daly. Day's back issues were inevitable with the way he forces that much torque by limiting hip movement while maximizing shoulder turn.

Freddy Couples?

Couples, like Nicklaus and Trevino in his prime, lined up to the left and dropped it in on the way down, pushing most of their shots. This action is very hard on the back.

Everyone used to talk about Trevino hitting a cut, but truth is it was a push. As a senior, Trevino hit a lot of draws and hooks to take the pressure off his back. As a comparison, Lietzke and irwin (and Snead in his later years) hit a fade by lining up left and taking the club well inside on the takeaway, coming over it a bit on the downswing. It's a natural action similar to what so many of us do, just on a smaller scale. It's very effective and much easier on the body.

The modern swing keeps the clubhead above the plane going back, drops the club way inside coming down and then has a ton of rotation at the very bottom. The physical capabilities these athletes have to generate speed and torque leads to injuries when using such a move. That club being so inside on the downswing is also the reason why we see so many shanks on Tour these days.

One thing to remember. Great golf was not invented in the last twenty years. There was plenty of great golf back in the days when the prominent coaches were named Jack Daniel and Johnnie Walker, and as far as the sports psychologist was concerned her name changed depending on the town.

The great players of the past would have hit the ball just as well and just as far as the players of today given the same equipment and without any of the training. The great players of today would have been great players in previous eras. The gifted of any generation will be successful given whatever it is they have with which to work.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    provx wrote:

The dude pushed his body to the limits working out and became #1 in the world. Now he is injured because of it. Call me crazy but i would take that tradeoff, he cashed in on that hard work while it lasted.

Yeah X factor swing, no hip rotation, all shoulder turn, that hurts.
    provx wrote:

The dude pushed his body to the limits working out and became #1 in the world. Now he is injured because of it. Call me crazy but i would take that tradeoff, he cashed in on that hard work while it lasted.

Having had a back injury (work related) so severe that I lost the use of my left leg for a time, I can honestly say no level of achievement or wealth is worth the loss of one's health.

Backs are a difficult thing. Often times the doctors don't really understand what is going on or how to treat them. They throw stuff at the wall and hope something sticks.

I am glad Day is well enough "today" to take his family to Disney World and don't begrudge him that one bit.

But who knows what "tomorrow" will bring.
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

anth wrote:

sefus12 wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

BearQ wrote:

Isn't a speed issue per say. It's the extreme unnatural angles they create coupled with the high speed transition.

Day doesn't rotate hips much at all. I never hit it like him but I had similar issues, I'm two hip labral repair and two herniated now. If he think he can't walk now...

I feel like a lot of the old timers took a good crack at it. Jack and Arnie didn't leave much in the tank and they played for a long long time. It just seemed like maybe their swings were more free flowing when compared to Day.

Freddy Couples?

Couples, like Nicklaus and Trevino in his prime, lined up to the left and dropped it in on the way down, pushing most of their shots. This action is very hard on the back.

Everyone used to talk about Trevino hitting a cut, but truth is it was a push. As a senior, Trevino hit a lot of draws and hooks to take the pressure off his back. As a comparison, Lietzke and irwin (and Snead in his later years) hit a fade by lining up left and taking the club well inside on the takeaway, coming over it a bit on the downswing. It's a natural action similar to what so many of us do, just on a smaller scale. It's very effective and much easier on the body.

The modern swing keeps the clubhead above the plane going back, drops the club way inside coming down and then has a ton of rotation at the very bottom. The physical capabilities these athletes have to generate speed and torque leads to injuries when using such a move. That club being so inside on the downswing is also the reason why we see so many shanks on Tour these days.

One thing to remember. Great golf was not invented in the last twenty years. There was plenty of great golf back in the days when the prominent coaches were named Jack Daniel and Johnnie Walker, and as far as the sports psychologist was concerned her name changed depending on the town.

The great players of the past would have hit the ball just as well and just as far as the players of today given the same equipment and without any of the training. The great players of today would have been great players in previous eras. The gifted of any generation will be successful given whatever it is they have with which to work.

Kind of like JB Holmes?

Snead used that move throughout his career. He had a name for that shot - it's in another thread. Chandelle?
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • moegolfer11moegolfer11 steal your face right off your head Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭
    Kind of a threadjack here but......One thing that irks me about the whole thing is, yes he made a minor mistake of playing instead of letting someone else play, big deal. The world isn't fair. But to have guys from twitter like Tron Carter literally doxxing the guy and having the NLU fans go after Day is extremely callous. Not only is it unprofessional but it makes you and your fans look insane. God forbid the guy goes and enjoys a day with his family with a stiff back...who knows if he was on muscle relaxers or pain killers, those things can provide a little help.

The twitter/Tron fiasco really pissed me off, it's one thing to do it for humor but don't personally attack a guy let alone tweet private pictures out of him and his KIDS. For a recent dad Tron really acted like an immature @$;$hole here.
    Taylormade M2 10.5° Graphite Design AD-BB 7x
    Titleist 913 FD 15° Diamana 'Ahina 70x
    Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron Accra 110i
    Titleist 716 MB 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 52° 56° 60° S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx
    Scotty Cameron Newport Teryllium Sole Stamp
    edited Mar 14, 2019 2:19pm #78
    gvogel wrote:

Kind of like JB Holmes?

Snead used that move throughout his career. He had a name for that shot - it's in another thread. Chandelle?

Holmes takes it inside early, but then lifts it into a more upright position at the top. He then shallows the shaft coming down from there. He's not over his backswing plane.

It's actually very much like what Nicklaus did.

I don't remember ever hearing Snead use that word, but I do remember the teaching pro AJ Bonar using that word to describe Snead's fade. I have never been able to find that word associated with golf in any Internet search. May not be spelling it exactly right. I'd love to find more about it.

Here's something that explains the dictionary definition of "chandelle."

https://rebelliongolf.com/right-is-not-always-right/
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file