Dan Jenkins

ChrismydawgChrismydawg JLoMembers Posts: 395 ✭✭
Truly going to miss this fella. Being a younger golfer I loved following this guy on twitter. His knowledge of the history of the game was unparalleled. He was funny, snarky and never prone to hyperbole. He never exaggerated the feats of the modern golfer because he would always compare generations. I mean seriously imagine hogan and nicklaus using the modern equipment he believed they would dominate just the same. I just want to post a few things that DJ tweeted;

Top 10 Master's Finishes:

1. Nicklaus '86

2. Arnold '60

3. Hogan '53

4. Tiger '97

5. Arnold '62

6. Nicklaus '75

7. Snead '54

8. Mickelson '04

9. Crenshaw '95

10. Spieth '15

Favorite US Open Tracks:

1. Oakmont

2. Merion

3. Oakland Hills

4. Pebble Beach

Favorite Open Venues

1. Old Course

2. Carnoustie

3. Lytham

4. Hoylake

5. Muirfield

6. Troon

7. Birkdale

8. Turnberry

9. Sandwich

My favorite tweet came last year after Tommy Fleetwood finished 2nd at the US Open-He said Tommy finished as the low guitar player.

Anybody have any fond memories of this guy?

Comments

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I read several of his books, Dogged Victims of Inexorable Fate, and Dead Solid Perfect. Both Classics, as well as a couple of others.

Back when subscribing to Golf Digest was the way I got my golf fix, I always enjoyed his writing.

One of the best quotes ever about sports journalism, not sure who it is attributed to...said. "the smaller the ball, the better the writing." This still holds true, but now maybe it's "the smaller the ball the better the websites" -dlygrisse 2019/

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Spieth 2015 in the top ten? Really?
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    imakaveli wrote:

Dan was always partial to Texans.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • RangeballzRangeballz Members Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    His "Dead Solid Perfect" is a hilarious book, a great light read. He'll be missed.
  • ChrismydawgChrismydawg JLo Members Posts: 395 ✭✭
    imakaveli wrote:

2nd youngest winner, wire to wire and tied the scoring record at -18. You don't think thats any good?
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,610 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 8, 2019 12:09pm #7
    imakaveli wrote:

It was pretty spectacular that day. Only 1 other guy went as low there. How quickly we forget
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• farmerfarmer Members Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Dogged Victims will make you wet your pants. Loved Dan Jenkins, sorry it's impossible for a writer to know modern players the way Jenkins knew them back in the day.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Golf Digest's tribute.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/his-ownself-dan-jenkins-1929-2019-tribute-dies-at-age-89

In 2012, Jenkins became the first living sportswriter of three (Bernard Darwin of The Times of London and Herbert Warren Wind of The New Yorker the others) to be stuffed and mounted at the World Golf Hall of Fame. “I’d follow [fellow Fort Worthers] Hogan and Nelson anywhere,” he said. “I went back and looked up everybody who’s in it and did some statistics. It turns out that I have known 95 of these people when they were living. I’ve written stories about 73 of them. I’ve had cocktails and drinks with 47 of them. And I played golf with 24 of them.”
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • HillbillyInBCHillbillyInBC Members Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

Truly an epic tribute to a life well-lived. RIP.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sports Illustrated has a collection of his articles they posted today. (including Goat Hills and Tom and Jack)

https://www.si.com/sports-illustrated/2019/03/08/dan-jenkins-stories-sports-illustrated

and their tribute

https://www.si.com/golf/2019/03/08/dan-jenkins-obituary-sports-illustrated-golf-college-football-writer
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • Anchor44Anchor44 Members Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He also wrote one time, at the height of Arnie worship, that he'd bet Arnie hadn't been involved in a conversation in twenty years that wasn't about Arnie.

He wrote what he thought.
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed Members Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 8, 2019 3:44pm #13
    I really liked this clip from Ben's Morning 9 article -

At Woods’ peak, Jenkins wrote, “Only two things can stop him: injury or a bad marriage.” Birdie, and birdie.”

Could he have been any more prophetic?

Fairways and Greens forever Dan.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • ClintDaggerClintDagger Members Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember as a junior getting a GD sub and reading Dan’s stuff. Didn’t realize that he must have been 70 back then. 89 is a long life and he’ll be missed.
    TM ’16 M2 Tour 8.5* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75g / 6.5
    TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14* Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 80 X
    TM P-790 (2-4 iron) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    TM P-760 (5-7 iron) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    TM P-730 (8-PW) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    Titleist Vokey SM 6 52* 08-F
    Titleist Vokey SM 5 60* 04-L
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Te I3
  • Dave230Dave230 Members Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 8, 2019 1:54pm #15
    He was at 232 majors, which is incredible. That's all four every year for 58 years... great writer, great insight. As someone else said, it was back in the days when writers would be able to hang out with the players for days on end and often become friends with them, but still not be afraid to write about them.

It's sad somewhere along the line the trust between journalists and golfers has eroded so that doesn't happen anymore. Can understand that there is more sensationalising with the advent of tabloid, gutter journalism, but from my experience players today are way too guarded, defer everything to their agents and managers.

I guess it's also an era where you can send out your own message on social media or what Tiger and a few others are doing, even your own TV channel essentially. Reminds me what Steinberg said when Jenkins wanted to meet Tiger "Don't see how we'd benefit out of it." Zero sum game.

Players have tremendous power now, in Jenkins' time, the balance wasn't so skewed, the players wanted to be written about.
  • Im_A_SavageIm_A_Savage WisconsinMembers Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Did he retire?
  • The Mad BomberThe Mad Bomber I seem to not like new things. Get off my lawn... Members Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Hogan wrote:

Did he retire?
    He passed away.
    TS 3 8.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
    909F2 15.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
    T-MB 2 iron C-TaperLite
    Mizzy MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper
    SM6 47º, 52º, 56º, 60 C-Taper
    Scotty Newport 2.6, 34" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"

WITB link
  • Couples1Couples1 Members Posts: 150
    wow I thought that was 15 years ago
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say I loved some of his writing and didn't care for other parts

His knowledge and length as part of golf and the majors is truly incredible

Dead Solid Perfect was a fantastic book and the movie was very VERY entertaining as well (Randy Quaid). Rumored to be about Doug Sanders FWIW

Last note, Steiny is a clown. Out of sheer respect Tiger should've sat down with Jenkins for a cocktail on a few occassions
    Ping G400 LST 11.5* Aldila RIP Phenom 50tx
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Aldila NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • Dr. BlockDr. Block Members Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 8, 2019 3:55pm #20
    Dave230 wrote:

He was at 232 majors, which is incredible. That's all four every year for 58 years... great writer, great insight. As someone else said, it was back in the days when writers would be able to hang out with the players for days on end and often become friends with them, but still not be afraid to write about them.

It's sad somewhere along the line the trust between journalists and golfers has eroded so that doesn't happen anymore. Can understand that there is more sensationalising with the advent of tabloid, gutter journalism, but from my experience players today are way too guarded, defer everything to their agents and managers.

I guess it's also an era where you can send out your own message on social media or what Tiger and a few others are doing, even your own TV channel essentially. Reminds me what Steinberg said when Jenkins wanted to meet Tiger "Don't see how we'd benefit out of it." Zero sum game.

Players have tremendous power now, in Jenkins' time, the balance wasn't so skewed, the players wanted to be written about.

Dan Jenkins brand of thoughtful, real journalism proliferated during a much more civil time in our society. Sportswriters protected their meal ticket's (the athletes and sports they covered). They formed relationships, gained access on a deep and meaningful level, and great pieces of writing were born from it. Writers have only themselves to blame for the inaccessibility and lack of trust that exists today. All they care about is generating traffic with hearsay, conjecture, and sensationalism. Apparently when you have to compete with (or reside in) the dim-witted, narcissistic world of social media - there is no virtue in journalistic integrity.
  • Night trainNight train Members Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    He witnessed a lot.........and shared it with us. He was a unique talent that golf will miss!
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,768 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 8, 2019 4:50pm #22
    cardoustie wrote:

Dead Solid Perfect was a fantastic book and the movie was very VERY entertaining as well (Randy Quaid). Rumored to be about Doug Sanders FWIW

Last note, Steiny is a clown. Out of sheer respect Tiger should've sat down with Jenkins for a cocktail on a few occassions

Bad Hair Wimberly!
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

cardoustie wrote:

Bad Hair Wimberly!

Um...Janie Rimmer...
    8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two

cardoustie wrote:

Bad Hair Wimberly!

Um...Janie Rimmer...

“Janie Ruth lost her scholarship”. I know where she can transfer to!
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • SixcatSixcat SWVAMembers Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 8, 2019 5:08pm #25
    His assertion that his good friend, George H. W. Bush “thinks he used to be president” is still funny however many years later.

Rest easy Mr. Jenkins. My “ownself” is gonna miss your wit and charm.

I think I will watch “Dead Solid Perfect” tonight.
    Sixcat wrote:

His assertion that his good friend, George H. W. Bush “thinks he used to be president” is still funny however many years later.

I think I’ll watch “Dead Solid Perfect” tonight.

Lucky you.

I found my copy a while back, but don’t have a VCR.

I saw the movie long before iever read the book. Still one of my favorite all time movies.

My user name is a takeoff from the title, with a little editing to more accurately reflect my game.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • SixcatSixcat SWVAMembers Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sixcat wrote:

Lucky you.

I saw the movie long before iever read the book. Still one of my favorite all time movies.

My user name is a takeoff from the title, with a little editing to more accurately reflect my game.

I transferred it to DVD years ago. Watch it at least once a year.
    Sixcat wrote:

Sixcat wrote:

Lucky you.

I transferred it to DVD years ago. Watch it at least once a year.

Smart. I never managed to do that.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sixcat wrote:

Lucky you.

**** on luck. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two

Sixcat wrote:

Lucky you.

**** on luck. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Well done Ashley, well done!��������
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji