ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Dan Jenkins

ChrismydawgChrismydawg JLoAdvanced Members Posts: 392 ✭✭
Truly going to miss this fella. Being a younger golfer I loved following this guy on twitter. His knowledge of the history of the game was unparalleled. He was funny, snarky and never prone to hyperbole. He never exaggerated the feats of the modern golfer because he would always compare generations. I mean seriously imagine hogan and nicklaus using the modern equipment he believed they would dominate just the same. I just want to post a few things that DJ tweeted;

Top 10 Master's Finishes:

1. Nicklaus '86

2. Arnold '60

3. Hogan '53

4. Tiger '97

5. Arnold '62

6. Nicklaus '75

7. Snead '54

8. Mickelson '04

9. Crenshaw '95

10. Spieth '15

Favorite US Open Tracks:

1. Oakmont

2. Merion

3. Oakland Hills

4. Pebble Beach

Favorite Open Venues

1. Old Course

2. Carnoustie

3. Lytham

4. Hoylake

5. Muirfield

6. Troon

7. Birkdale

8. Turnberry

9. Sandwich

My favorite tweet came last year after Tommy Fleetwood finished 2nd at the US Open-He said Tommy finished as the low guitar player.

Anybody have any fond memories of this guy?

Comments

• dlygrissedlygrisse Advanced Members Posts: 12,942 ✭✭
    I read several of his books, Dogged Victims of Inexorable Fate, and Dead Solid Perfect. Both Classics, as well as a couple of others.

Back when subscribing to Golf Digest was the way I got my golf fix, I always enjoyed his writing.

One of the best quotes ever about sports journalism, not sure who it is attributed to...said. "the smaller the ball, the better the writing." This still holds true, but now maybe it's "the smaller the ball the better the websites" -dlygrisse 2019/

Ping G400
    Callaway V Series 3w, HW
    Callaway Steelhead 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Advanced Members Posts: 12,375 ✭✭
    Spieth 2015 in the top ten? Really?
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Advanced Members Posts: 12,942 ✭✭
    imakaveli wrote:

Dan was always partial to Texans.

Ping G400
    Callaway V Series 3w, HW
    Callaway Steelhead 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • RangeballzRangeballz Advanced Members Posts: 1,588 ✭✭
    His "Dead Solid Perfect" is a hilarious book, a great light read. He'll be missed.
  • ChrismydawgChrismydawg JLo Advanced Members Posts: 392 ✭✭
    imakaveli wrote:

2nd youngest winner, wire to wire and tied the scoring record at -18. You don't think thats any good?
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,214 ✭✭
    edited March 8
    imakaveli wrote:

It was pretty spectacular that day. Only 1 other guy went as low there. How quickly we forget
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
    Ping i500 pre-production proto 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105X
    Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • farmerfarmer Advanced Members Posts: 7,714 ✭✭
    Dogged Victims will make you wet your pants. Loved Dan Jenkins, sorry it's impossible for a writer to know modern players the way Jenkins knew them back in the day.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Advanced Members Posts: 4,181 ✭✭
    Golf Digest's tribute.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/his-ownself-dan-jenkins-1929-2019-tribute-dies-at-age-89

In 2012, Jenkins became the first living sportswriter of three (Bernard Darwin of The Times of London and Herbert Warren Wind of The New Yorker the others) to be stuffed and mounted at the World Golf Hall of Fame. “I’d follow [fellow Fort Worthers] Hogan and Nelson anywhere,” he said. “I went back and looked up everybody who’s in it and did some statistics. It turns out that I have known 95 of these people when they were living. I’ve written stories about 73 of them. I’ve had cocktails and drinks with 47 of them. And I played golf with 24 of them.”
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • HillbillyInBCHillbillyInBC Advanced Members Posts: 154 ✭✭

Truly an epic tribute to a life well-lived. RIP.
    Sports Illustrated has a collection of his articles they posted today. (including Goat Hills and Tom and Jack)

https://www.si.com/sports-illustrated/2019/03/08/dan-jenkins-stories-sports-illustrated

and their tribute

https://www.si.com/golf/2019/03/08/dan-jenkins-obituary-sports-illustrated-golf-college-football-writer

• Anchor44Anchor44 Advanced Members Posts: 892
    He also wrote one time, at the height of Arnie worship, that he'd bet Arnie hadn't been involved in a conversation in twenty years that wasn't about Arnie.

He wrote what he thought.
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed Advanced Members Posts: 3,292 ✭✭
    edited March 8
    I really liked this clip from Ben's Morning 9 article -

At Woods’ peak, Jenkins wrote, “Only two things can stop him: injury or a bad marriage.” Birdie, and birdie.”

Could he have been any more prophetic?

Fairways and Greens forever Dan.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • ClintDaggerClintDagger Advanced Members Posts: 557 ✭✭
    I remember as a junior getting a GD sub and reading Dan’s stuff. Didn’t realize that he must have been 70 back then. 89 is a long life and he’ll be missed.
    TM ’16 M2 Tour 8.5* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75g / 6.5
    TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14* Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 80 X
    TM P-790 (2-4 iron) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    TM P-760 (5-7 iron) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    TM P-730 (8-PW) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    Titleist Vokey SM 6 52* 08-F
    Titleist Vokey SM 5 60* 04-L
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Te I3
  • Dave230Dave230 Advanced Members Posts: 3,714 ✭✭
    edited March 8
    He was at 232 majors, which is incredible. That's all four every year for 58 years... great writer, great insight. As someone else said, it was back in the days when writers would be able to hang out with the players for days on end and often become friends with them, but still not be afraid to write about them.

It's sad somewhere along the line the trust between journalists and golfers has eroded so that doesn't happen anymore. Can understand that there is more sensationalising with the advent of tabloid, gutter journalism, but from my experience players today are way too guarded, defer everything to their agents and managers.

I guess it's also an era where you can send out your own message on social media or what Tiger and a few others are doing, even your own TV channel essentially. Reminds me what Steinberg said when Jenkins wanted to meet Tiger "Don't see how we'd benefit out of it." Zero sum game.

Players have tremendous power now, in Jenkins' time, the balance wasn't so skewed, the players wanted to be written about.
  • Mr. HoganMr. Hogan Advanced Members Posts: 1,225 ✭✭
    Did he retire?
    USGA - Unusually Stupid Governance Association
  • TheLarchTheLarch Major Winner Advanced Members Posts: 943 ✭✭
    He had an article in Golf Digest decades ago where all the legends of golf through the years somehow got together at the same time at The Masters. In one part of the article he wrote how the crowd marveled at Sarazen’s driver/four wood double eagle at 15, especially since everyone else was hitting driver/seven iron. I still think about that and smile when I see the 15th at Augusta. What a great writer.
    Ping G SF Tec Driver
    Ping G5 3 wood 15*
    Ping G5 5 wood 18*
    Ping G5 hybrid 22*
    Ping G irons 4/UW
    Ping Gorge Tour 56* SW
    Ping iN Craz-e putter
  • The Mad BomberThe Mad Bomber I seem to not like new things. Get off my lawn... Advanced Members Posts: 1,034 ✭✭
    Mr. Hogan wrote:

Did he retire?
    He passed away.
    915 D3 7.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
    909F2 15.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
    T-MB 2 iron C-Taper
    Mizzy MP-5 4-9 C-Taper
    SM6 47º, 52º, 56º C-Taper
    Mizzy S18 60-06º Blue Ion
    Scotty Newport 2, 35" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"

WITB link
  • Couples1Couples1 Advanced Members Posts: 150
    wow I thought that was 15 years ago
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Advanced Members Posts: 11,367 ✭✭
    I have to say I loved some of his writing and didn't care for other parts

His knowledge and length as part of golf and the majors is truly incredible

Dead Solid Perfect was a fantastic book and the movie was very VERY entertaining as well (Randy Quaid). Rumored to be about Doug Sanders FWIW

Last note, Steiny is a clown. Out of sheer respect Tiger should've sat down with Jenkins for a cocktail on a few occassions
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Zing 2 BeCu s2 54.5* & s3 57.5*
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • Dr. BlockDr. Block Advanced Members Posts: 602 ✭✭
    edited March 8
    Dave230 wrote:

He was at 232 majors, which is incredible. That's all four every year for 58 years... great writer, great insight. As someone else said, it was back in the days when writers would be able to hang out with the players for days on end and often become friends with them, but still not be afraid to write about them.

It's sad somewhere along the line the trust between journalists and golfers has eroded so that doesn't happen anymore. Can understand that there is more sensationalising with the advent of tabloid, gutter journalism, but from my experience players today are way too guarded, defer everything to their agents and managers.

I guess it's also an era where you can send out your own message on social media or what Tiger and a few others are doing, even your own TV channel essentially. Reminds me what Steinberg said when Jenkins wanted to meet Tiger "Don't see how we'd benefit out of it." Zero sum game.

Players have tremendous power now, in Jenkins' time, the balance wasn't so skewed, the players wanted to be written about.

Dan Jenkins brand of thoughtful, real journalism proliferated during a much more civil time in our society. Sportswriters protected their meal ticket's (the athletes and sports they covered). They formed relationships, gained access on a deep and meaningful level, and great pieces of writing were born from it. Writers have only themselves to blame for the inaccessibility and lack of trust that exists today. All they care about is generating traffic with hearsay, conjecture, and sensationalism. Apparently when you have to compete with (or reside in) the dim-witted, narcissistic world of social media - there is no virtue in journalistic integrity.
  • Night trainNight train Advanced Members Posts: 2,815 ✭✭
    He witnessed a lot.........and shared it with us. He was a unique talent that golf will miss!
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,330 ClubWRX
    edited March 8
    cardoustie wrote:

Dead Solid Perfect was a fantastic book and the movie was very VERY entertaining as well (Randy Quaid). Rumored to be about Doug Sanders FWIW

Last note, Steiny is a clown. Out of sheer respect Tiger should've sat down with Jenkins for a cocktail on a few occassions

Bad Hair Wimberly!
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Advanced Members Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

cardoustie wrote:

Bad Hair Wimberly!

Um...Janie Rimmer...
    8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,330 ClubWRX

cardoustie wrote:

Bad Hair Wimberly!

Um...Janie Rimmer...

“Janie Ruth lost her scholarship”. I know where she can transfer to!
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • SixcatSixcat Advanced Members Posts: 1,409 ✭✭
    edited March 8
    His assertion that his good friend, George H. W. Bush “thinks he used to be president” is still funny however many years later.

Rest easy Mr. Jenkins. My “ownself” is gonna miss your wit and charm.

I think I will watch “Dead Solid Perfect” tonight.
    Sixcat wrote:

His assertion that his good friend, George H. W. Bush “thinks he used to be president” is still funny however many years later.

I think I’ll watch “Dead Solid Perfect” tonight.

Lucky you.

I found my copy a while back, but don’t have a VCR.

I saw the movie long before iever read the book. Still one of my favorite all time movies.

My user name is a takeoff from the title, with a little editing to more accurately reflect my game.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • SixcatSixcat Advanced Members Posts: 1,409 ✭✭

Sixcat wrote:

Lucky you.

I saw the movie long before iever read the book. Still one of my favorite all time movies.

My user name is a takeoff from the title, with a little editing to more accurately reflect my game.

I transferred it to DVD years ago. Watch it at least once a year.
    Sixcat wrote:

Sixcat wrote:

Lucky you.

I transferred it to DVD years ago. Watch it at least once a year.

Smart. I never managed to do that.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

Sixcat wrote:

Lucky you.

**** on luck. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two

Sixcat wrote:

Lucky you.

**** on luck. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Well done Ashley, well done!��������
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
    Shank, I'm in your same boat re: VHS. Mine wouldn't work even if I had a VCR. I think I got it when I was 13, and the ice machine scene was viewed one too many times.

FYI, not long ago, I was able to kind of piece it together using various YouTube vids others had uploaded.

15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two

Shank, I'm in your same boat re: VHS. Mine wouldn't work even if I had a VCR. I think I got it when I was 13, and the ice machine scene was viewed one too many times.

FYI, not long ago, I was able to kind of piece it together using various YouTube vids others had uploaded.

I remeber my first copy was taped off a free HBO weekend, so it had advertising scrolling across the bottom quite often. I bought a copy on eBay several years ago (maybe more than several). I think that is the one I found. We had VHS tapes in about three different buildings and now I don’t remeber where I ended up putting it.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Advanced Members Posts: 12,375 ✭✭

imakaveli wrote:

2nd youngest winner, wire to wire and tied the scoring record at -18. You don't think thats any good?

Of course it was good, it was outstanding.

Top 10 Masters? No way.
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Advanced Members Posts: 5,297 ✭✭
    Jenkins was a great writer. He got a little cranky in his later years....but who doesn’t?

Still, having a job that paid you to go to golf tournaments for 60 years; Not a bad gig.

Dead Solid Perfect (the movie) needs another run on HBO.

SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Advanced Members Posts: 1,262 ✭✭
    I thought I read he wanted on his tombstone.

" I knew this would happen."

I wish I could have had a bunch of beers with him. Lucky to have grown up with him writing in the Washington Post.
    imakaveli wrote:

imakaveli wrote:

Of course it was good, it was outstanding.

Top 10 Masters? No way.

Which one belongs in the 10 slot? How many were better than JS in 2015? What are they?
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • ghostriderghostrider Advanced Members Posts: 217 ✭✭
    Loved his comment about Goat Hills when they were razing it for development. The bulldozers finally proved it was possible to take a divot.
  • Ronnie MundtRonnie Mundt Members Posts: 67
    Talented guy, rare in the current world of sports “journalism” which usually means writing about what some dumb athlete posted on their twitter or instagram account. Jenkins was a professional.

Smoked and drank (I think) pretty much his entire adult life. Almost 90 is impressive. Godspeed, sir.
  • dhc1dhc1 Advanced Members Posts: 876
    I can’t stand Jenkins even since his bald face racist comments a dozen years ago. Quit Golf Digest because of it.
  • Steele47Steele47 Advanced Members Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    Oh boy....
    edited March 8
    And we’re off..........til it’s locked.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Big Cat 3Big Cat 3 Advanced Members Posts: 461 ✭✭
    **** I honestly thought Jenkins died 15 years ago
    I've been writing posts all day for you people, I'm gonna write this one for myself:

Do you think I should switch to a heel-shafted putter? I read somewhere that no great putter ever used a center shaft.
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • tdk8180tdk8180 Advanced Members Posts: 2,392
    I will not speak ill of the dead.

I never read more than a few sentences of his articles.

I just know he disliked Tiger for some reason.

That is all I know.
    The full SI Vault of his stories.

Lots of golf articles from the 1970s and 1980s from the majors to a World Match Play in London to the Skins Game.

https://www.si.com/vault-authors/dan-jenkins

tdk8180 wrote:

That is all I know.

Jenkins made up his hate for Big Cat with his unbridled love for Hogan ... he loved him a lot of Hogan

I've been writing posts all day for you people, I'm gonna write this one for myself:

Do you think I should switch to a heel-shafted putter? I read somewhere that no great putter ever used a center shaft.

I’m so ashamed of myself, I can’t remember. Something to the effect of, “yeah that Hogan guy wasn’t too bad”?
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

The full SI Vault of his stories.

Lots of golf articles from the 1970s and 1980s from the majors to a World Match Play in London to the Skins Game.

[url="https://www.si.com/vault-authors/dan-jenkins"]https://www.si.com/vault-authors/dan-jenkins[/url]
    After looking at some of these past articles ... this guy must had known the right people because those are not very good and poorly written. He certainly was no Jim Murray or Rick Reilly.

I’m so ashamed of myself, I can’t remember. Something to the effect of, “yeah that Hogan guy wasn’t too bad”?

Yep.

Then, "Hogan was a better player than he was a putter." Then, Smitheren scolding Grover for playing slowly. Man, I miss that movie. Grover trying to pick up girls in the bar talking about the move from hickory to steel shafts!
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
    Big Cat 3 wrote:

tdk8180 wrote:

That is all I know.

Jenkins made up his hate for Big Cat with his unbridled love for Hogan ... he loved him a lot of Hogan

He once took $6 off of Hogan in a $2 Nassau.