Dan Jenkins

Comments

• Showtime9Showtime9 MonsterHeel Members Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Also RIP to Mr. Jenkins
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,601 ClubWRX
    Someone remind me, was there anything extra special about Swartzel’s win? To be honest, I don’t even remember it.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,489 ClubWRX

Someone remind me, was there anything extra special about Swartzel’s win? To be honest, I don’t even remember it.

Birdied the last 4 to win if I remember correctly.
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,082 ✭✭
    Jenkins said a lot of stuff that a lot of people think. About golf and players once having character and individuality, now being coddled and boring. Even the stuff he says about TW is/was discussed at large here on the forum.

His "fake interview" with TW is hysterical. Has TW down to the tee. My favorite lines...

"You haven't talked about it, but after all of those New York Post front pages during the scandal, what's the moral of your story?

That's easy. Don't get caught."

"Let's move on. Are there any wedding bells in the future for Lindsey Vonn?

With me?"

"Speaking of Sergio, I'm sure you read this quote he said about you: "He's not the nicest guy on tour. We don't enjoy each other's company. You don't have to be a rocket engineer to figure that out." Got a response?

Sergio wins Low Crybaby in every tournament. That's all I know."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/dan-jenkins-fake-interview-with-tiger/amp

• Mr. HoganMr. Hogan Posts: 1,285 ✭✭

Mr. Hogan wrote:

Did he retire?
    He passed away.

A more descriptive thread title would have been helpful.
    USGA - Unusually Stupid Governance Association
  • Big Cat 3Big Cat 3 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    edited Mar 9, 2019 4:44pm #67

Birdied the last 4 to win if I remember correctly.

Made an incredible 7 iron chip in birdie at 1 ... then dropped an eagle 2 on 3. And then birdied the last 4 holes to win the tourney. Other than that just a ho hum round on a Masters Sunday.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 5,972 ✭✭

He birdied the last 4 holes when it looked like Adam Scott would win. Jason Day birdied the last 2 as i recall after coming close and Woods couldnt get past 10 under nor could cabrera or i think luke donald
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,536 ClubWRX

^^^

Strong disagree, haha!

But, surely there are at least ten more that come to your mind, because you said "no way" was JS in 2015 in the top 10. It certainly couldn't be 11th, then.

What are the others besides....Charl Schwartzel, is it?

Well, of course you disagree, and you will disagree with any other name I can say beside YJS, because well... you think his finish belongs to the 10 best Masters finish in history so, I think we can agree to disagree and move on.
  • Big Cat 3Big Cat 3 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

Jenkins said a lot of stuff that a lot of people think. About golf and players once having character and individuality, now being coddled and boring. Even the stuff he says about TW is/was discussed at large here on the forum.

His "fake interview" with TW is hysterical. Has TW down to the tee. My favorite lines...

"You haven't talked about it, but after all of those New York Post front pages during the scandal, what's the moral of your story?

That's easy. Don't get caught

"Let's move on. Are there any wedding bells in the future for Lindsey Vonn?

With me?"

"Speaking of Sergio, I'm sure you read this quote he said about you: "He's not the nicest guy on tour. We don't enjoy each other's company. You don't have to be a rocket engineer to figure that out." Got a response?

Sergio wins Low Crybaby in every tournament. That's all I know."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/dan-jenkins-fake-interview-with-tiger/amp

Tiger’s fake interview with Jenkins was better www.bigcat.com

“ You seem to never say or write a thing without mentioning how great Ben Hogan was. Hogan died in 1990 while his game died in freaking 1960, no one gives a **** about this fossil. What the **** is with that never ending strange obsession?”

You don’t know what true love is Tiger obviously

“ Let’s move on, more importantly Why did you two never marry “

It is not that I didn’t ask

“ Speaking of Arnold Palmer (before Peter Jacobsen does again and again) I’m sure you have been alerted Arnie hates your boy Hogan’s guts because of his rude treatment toward him ... were you and Hogan jealous?

It had nothing to do with Arnie making all that money while me and Bennie were stuck in **** stinking Ft.Worth plugging some worthless golf equipment no one buys ! or the the fact Arnie got all that tail while we had to eat lunch with ourselves. **** YOU

you or Arnie couldn’t beat Hogan ! Hogan was the greatest ever Hogan Hogan Hogan

• Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,563 ✭✭
    I wonder if the tweet was just mislabeled. Maybe it was Dan's top 10 favorite Masters.

Rating Spieth's win in 2015 as best finish relies on circumstances beyond an exciting finish: a very young winner, record tie low score and the biggest margin of victory since Tiger.

Crenshaw's emotional win in 1995 wasn't exactly a thrilling finish as he had it well in hand.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
    Dan was definitely very biased, especially towards anything Texas.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,536 ClubWRX

I wonder if the tweet was just mislabeled. Maybe it was Dan's top 10 favorite Masters.

Rating Spieth's win in 2015 as best finish relies on circumstances beyond an exciting finish: a very young winner, record tie low score and the biggest margin of victory since Tiger.

Crenshaw's emotional win in 1995 wasn't exactly a thrilling finish as he had it well in hand.

Agreed.
  • imakaveli wrote:

^^^

Strong disagree, haha!

But, surely there are at least ten more that come to your mind, because you said "no way" was JS in 2015 in the top 10. It certainly couldn't be 11th, then.

What are the others besides....Charl Schwartzel, is it?

Well, of course you disagree, and you will disagree with any other name I can say beside YJS, because well... you think his finish belongs to the 10 best Masters finish in history so, I think we can agree to disagree and move on.

TBH, I thought it was best Masters rather than best Masters finishes. My bad.
    8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two

I remember davis love making a crazy run but he bogeyed i think one of the last 2 holes to lose by 1.i think he shot 65 on sunday
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 2,988 ✭✭

Most people remember the 2011 Masters for Rory collapsing like a house of cards of the back 9 on Sunday.
    grm24 wrote:

Most people remember the 2011 Masters for Rory collapsing like a house of cards of the back 9 on Sunday.

I always have to ask since I have CRS (can’t remember s**t) disease. About the only sporting events I remeber are the 86 Masters, the 71 Nebraska-Oklahoma game, and the 85 Fiesta Bowl.

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,342 ClubWRX

Only thing I remember is Rory's tee shot on 10 on Sunday.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,082 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Think he killed those peoples garden gnome ; )

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,342 ClubWRX
    lowheel wrote:

I remember davis love making a crazy run but he bogeyed i think one of the last 2 holes to lose by 1.i think he shot 65 on sunday

Yep, he had a great Sunday! Davis shot 66, and he birdied to tie Crenshaw and after 15, which Crenshaw parred, they were tied and Davis was in the clubhouse, so it was indeed a pretty thrilling finish with Crenshaw having the pressure to play 16, 17 and 18 at 1 under to win it. Not a walk in the park at any point in that final round.
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

lowheel wrote:

Yep, he had a great Sunday! Davis shot 66, and he birdied to tie Crenshaw and after 15, which Crenshaw parred, they were tied and Davis was in the clubhouse, so it was indeed a pretty thrilling finish with Crenshaw having the pressure to play 16, 17 and 18 at 1 under to win it. Not a walk in the park at any point in that final round.

Yes, your memory was better than mine!
    bscinstnct wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

Someone remind me, was there anything extra special about Swartzel's win? To be honest, I don't even remember it.

Think he killed those peoples garden gnome ; )

[media=]

His gutted face on that hole reminded me of jordan in 2016. Brutal body blow with the tournament in their hands... Even if you dont like them you had to feel for them.
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,829 ✭✭
    DJ was my favorite golf writer. His Ben Hogan stories were the best.
    Taylormade M1 9.5 661 Tour Spec Stiff
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood 15 Kuro Kage Stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 18 Altus Stiff
    Adams Peanut 24* Altus Stiff
    Taylormade PSI Tour DGS300 Stiff 5-PW
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52 56 60
    Taylormade SI Spider 72 38
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,627 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 10, 2019 1:40am #84
    lowheel wrote:

Love won the week before in New Orleans just to qualify. Nice couple of weekends for DLIII. Always thought he was a little bit of an underachiever.

Anyway, Dan Jenkins. When I saw he passed away my first thought was "Man he hated Tiger." Then my second thought was "that article he wrote as if he was reading Tigers text messages was pretty funny."

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

• golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,627 ClubWRX
    grm24 wrote:

Golf channel showed a clip of him and his caddie after that tee shot on 10 yesterday.

Amazing how his body has transformed.

Barely recognizable in 2011

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

• tdk8180tdk8180 Members Posts: 2,401 ✭✭
    mukster wrote:

tdk8180 wrote:

I will not speak ill of the dead.

I never read more than a few sentences of his articles.

I just know he disliked Tiger for some reason.

That is all I know.

Everyone has a God-given right to like or dislike Dan Jenkins.

Somehow, Dan Jenkins is not afforded this right to like or dislike TW.

image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Not everyone is afforded the privelege in publishing their dislike in a major publication.
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Would we consider this forum and pretty much any online forum Twitter, Facebook, Yahoo News, etc. to be “major publication” ?

I would, and i notice alot have taken up the privelege of trashing the guy who owns a lot of nice golf courses around the world and resides in Washington DC.

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,146 ✭✭

His daughter, Sally, is probably the most incisive sports writer of the present day.

Nice piece by Sally in today's WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/sally-jenkins-on-dan-jenkins-i-was-so-lucky-to-be-his-daughter/2019/03/09/f38f8820-4297-11e9-922c-64d6b7840b82_story.html?utm_term=.1a098d8360d9

Nice article, thanks for the link.

"You have to laugh trouble down to size"

He was a great one, with a wonderful gift.
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • marmooskapaulmarmooskapaul Posts: 1,341 ✭✭
    I thought Dan died about 25 years ago...when he couldn't get the interview...lol...he though was owed to him.
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,068 ✭✭
    Some great articles and insights but not sure he understood Golf outside of the elite country club and major venue universe.