Dan Jenkins

124»

Comments

• Dave230Dave230 Members Posts: 3,748 ✭✭

Someone remind me, was there anything extra special about Swartzel’s win? To be honest, I don’t even remember it.

Worth watching it again, one of the best ever Masters. The whole drama of Rory aside, was 10 players within 2 shots of the lead. Tiger went out in 31 and looked like having a Jack '86 type charge before fading. Adam Scott and Jason Day both putting in heroic finishes that they thought would give them a playoff, before Schwartzel finishes with 4 straight birdies to win.
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,405 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

Jenkins said a lot of stuff that a lot of people think. About golf and players once having character and individuality, now being coddled and boring. Even the stuff he says about TW is/was discussed at large here on the forum.

His "fake interview" with TW is hysterical. Has TW down to the tee. My favorite lines...

"You haven't talked about it, but after all of those New York Post front pages during the scandal, what's the moral of your story?

That's easy. Don't get caught."

"Let's move on. Are there any wedding bells in the future for Lindsey Vonn?

With me?"

"Speaking of Sergio, I'm sure you read this quote he said about you: "He's not the nicest guy on tour. We don't enjoy each other's company. You don't have to be a rocket engineer to figure that out." Got a response?

Sergio wins Low Crybaby in every tournament. That's all I know."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/dan-jenkins-fake-interview-with-tiger/amp

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I thought the article was kind of lame. Wasn’t it like 5 years after the fire hydrant? It was like all his saltiness for not getting a real interview boiled over.

I’ve read way funnier jokes and digs at Tiger in this forum haha.
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,203 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Someone remind me, was there anything extra special about Swartzel’s win? To be honest, I don’t even remember it.

Only thing I remember is Rory's tee shot on 10 on Sunday.

Greg Norman practically did the same thing Sunday in 1981.
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • Dave230Dave230 Members Posts: 3,748 ✭✭
    Scotty1140 wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Jenkins said a lot of stuff that a lot of people think. About golf and players once having character and individuality, now being coddled and boring. Even the stuff he says about TW is/was discussed at large here on the forum.

His "fake interview" with TW is hysterical. Has TW down to the tee. My favorite lines...

"You haven't talked about it, but after all of those New York Post front pages during the scandal, what's the moral of your story?

That's easy. Don't get caught."

"Let's move on. Are there any wedding bells in the future for Lindsey Vonn?

With me?"

"Speaking of Sergio, I'm sure you read this quote he said about you: "He's not the nicest guy on tour. We don't enjoy each other's company. You don't have to be a rocket engineer to figure that out." Got a response?

Sergio wins Low Crybaby in every tournament. That's all I know."

https://www.google.c...-with-tiger/amp

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I thought the article was kind of lame. Wasn't it like 5 years after the fire hydrant? It was like all his saltiness for not getting a real interview boiled over.

I've read way funnier jokes and digs at Tiger in this forum haha.

Thought it wasn't very funny, Dan has done much better, but it was some two-pager at the back end of a Golf Digest magazine to fill space, Tiger made into a much bigger article than it was by attracting attention to it.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,398 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 10, 2019 11:38pm #96
    Just looking for some old Jenkins pieces for SI. Found this one on the '81 Masters. There is some great stuff in there, and insightful anecdotes about the tournament. Keith Fergus about to become deadsolid's and blade hunter's biggest hero after his penalties (deserved but the USGA sticking it to him) and Jerry Pate as well for a clinic on how to address a USGA official, lol. USGA rattlin’ cages back then! Love that in '81 still talking about Jack's (then) 19 majors and lots of other cool stuff. Just great writing!

[url="https://www.si.com/vault/1981/04/20/825563/true-grit-at-augusta-tom-watson-had-his-troubles--notably-with-the-trap-at-the-17th-hole--but-when-it-counted-he-clung-grimly-to-a-slim-lead-and-held-off-jack-nicklaus-to-win-his-second-masters"]https://www.si.com/v...-second-masters[/url]
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,620 ClubWRX
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Just looking for some old Jenkins pieces for SI. Found this one on the '81 Masters. There is some great stuff in there, and insightful anecdotes about the tournament. Keith Fergus about to become deadsolid's and blade hunter's biggest hero after his penalties (deserved but the USGA sticking it to him) and Jerry Pate as well for a clinic on how to address a USGA official, lol. USGA rattlin’ cages back then! Love that in '81 still talking about Jack's (then) 19 majors and lots of other cool stuff. Just great writing!

[url="https://www.si.com/vault/1981/04/20/825563/true-grit-at-augusta-tom-watson-had-his-troubles--notably-with-the-trap-at-the-17th-hole--but-when-it-counted-he-clung-grimly-to-a-slim-lead-and-held-off-jack-nicklaus-to-win-his-second-masters"]https://www.si.com/v...-second-masters[/url]

I did love his reply. Reminds me of the scene in Breakfast Club where Bender and the principal are having a heated discussion and racking up detentions.

“Do you want another”? “Yes”.

Keep adding them up.

Dan was certainly eloquent and could really describe it in a unique way. He just got so nonsensical in his writing in his last years.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • SixcatSixcat SWVAMembers Posts: 1,421 ✭✭

I thought Dan died about 25 years ago...when he couldn't get the interview...lol...he though was owed to him.

Maybe Tiger should have done an interview with Mr. Jenkins rather than the one he gave to GQ! I doubt anything Jenkins would have done would have come close to that hatchet piece by Charles Pierce.
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Just looking for some old Jenkins pieces for SI. Found this one on the '81 Masters. There is some great stuff in there, and insightful anecdotes about the tournament. Keith Fergus about to become deadsolid's and blade hunter's biggest hero after his penalties (deserved but the USGA sticking it to him) and Jerry Pate as well for a clinic on how to address a USGA official, lol. USGA rattlin' cages back then! Love that in '81 still talking about Jack's (then) 19 majors and lots of other cool stuff. Just great writing!

https://www.si.com/v...-second-masters

I followed Watson and Norman during the final round in 1981. Watson was my favorite.

If Norman hadn't pull hooked the ball on 10 and made double (kind of like a young McIlroy), he might have won his first Masters and wouldn't have had to endure the curse at Augusta.

Who says history doesn't repeat itself?
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,616 ✭✭
    Part One of Dan's last article: The GOAT Invitational

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-goat-golf-digests-greatest-of-all-time-invitational

looking at the bracket, I suspect it will be Ben, Tiger, Jack and Sam for the title
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
    elwhippy wrote:

Some great articles and insights but not sure he understood Golf outside of the elite country club and major venue universe.

Perhaps you have not heard of Worth Hills, aka "Goat Hills"?

http://www.fwtx.com/articles/glory-goat

Where do you think Dan started in golf?
  • jonsnowjonsnow GeorgiaMembers Posts: 1,208 ✭✭

I've been writing posts all day for you people, I'm gonna write this one for myself:

Do you think I should switch to a heel-shafted putter? I read somewhere that no great putter ever used a center shaft.

Hogan was a pretty good putter...
    WITB:
    Titleist 910D3 9.5
    Titleist 917F2 15
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...
    elwhippy wrote:

Some great articles and insights but not sure he understood Golf outside of the elite country club and major venue universe.

Seriously? image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />
    WITB:
    Titleist 910D3 9.5
    Titleist 917F2 15
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,620 ClubWRX
    jonsnow wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

Seriously? image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />

I think he grew up around the game at an almost literal goat track. Goat Hill. I believe it was kind of a scraggly muni course if I remember correctly.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
    grm24 wrote:
    Most people remember the 2011 Masters for Rory collapsing like a house of cards of the back 9 on Sunday.
    I always have to ask since I have CRS (can’t remember s**t) disease. About the only sporting events I remeber are the 86 Masters, the 71 Nebraska-Oklahoma game, and the 85 Fiesta Bowl.

Not much else worth remembering. Reminds me of the Jimmy Buffet song "He Went To Paris":

"Writing his memoirs

Losin' his hearing

But he don't care what most people say..."
    WITB:
    Titleist 910D3 9.5
    Titleist 917F2 15
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,398 ClubWRX

Hawkeye77 wrote:

I did love his reply. Reminds me of the scene in Breakfast Club where Bender and the principal are having a heated discussion and racking up detentions.

“Do you want another”? “Yes”.

Keep adding them up.

Dan was certainly eloquent and could really describe it in a unique way. He just got so nonsensical in his writing in his last years.

Yep, almost strange.
  • ChrismydawgChrismydawg JLo Members Posts: 395 ✭✭
    lowheel wrote:
    bscinstnct wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

Someone remind me, was there anything extra special about Swartzel's win? To be honest, I don't even remember it.

Only thing I remember is Rory's tee shot on 10 on Sunday.

Think he killed those peoples garden gnome ; )

[media=]

His gutted face on that hole reminded me of jordan in 2016. Brutal body blow with the tournament in their hands... Even if you dont like them you had to feel for them.

The look on his face after he hooked it into the creek at 13 was hard to watch as well.
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

Just looking for some old Jenkins pieces for SI. Found this one on the '81 Masters. There is some great stuff in there, and insightful anecdotes about the tournament. Keith Fergus about to become deadsolid's and blade hunter's biggest hero after his penalties (deserved but the USGA sticking it to him) and Jerry Pate as well for a clinic on how to address a USGA official, lol. USGA rattlin' cages back then! Love that in '81 still talking about Jack's (then) 19 majors and lots of other cool stuff. Just great writing!

https://www.si.com/v...-second-masters

"Do you want another"? "Yes".

Keep adding them up.

Yep, almost strange.

At least he aged better than George Carlin. He is still my favorite comedian of all time, but his last few years were difficult to watch.
    WITB:
    Titleist 910D3 9.5
    Titleist 917F2 15
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

124»