Shafts or lofts?

Buckeyebob4

I was fitted for the Taylormade 790 irons. I love them. When being fitted I was hitting 6 iron 171 and total 180. Launch 18* with 87 swing speed. This was with the KBS Tour v 110 shafts. When I ordered (through a friend who was a rep) TM did not carry these shafts so I got the KBS Tour 120 shafts. So they are 10 grams heavier. They prescription I got was to have my irons 1.5* weak. I just hit with the swing caddie 300 and my launch angle was 22* my carry was 155-160 and swing speed was 80-82.

SHould I consider ordering the KBS Tour v 110 shafts and reshaft? Should I have my irons bent -1.5* to be back to standard? I am just not sure why I lose so much distance. Shaft weigh or loft

Thank you

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense to the Swing Caddie but before you go changing anything I'd want to confirm those numbers on a Trackman or GCQuad or something a little more accurate like what you were fit on. 1.5° of loft is maybe 5 yards of carry distance at that end of the bag so that will explain some of it, but before you go changing anything I'd confirm actual numbers on something a little more reliable or even just on the course. There's also something to be said for just adapting to new irons. Sometimes it takes a little time to get used to it and that distance comes back.

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9º (at 8º) Accra TZ5 65 M5

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Ti 15º Accra TZ5 75 M5

3i/4i: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus 120X (4i 1º weak)

5i-PW: Srixon Z-Forged Modus 120X

50º/54º/60º: Cleveland RTX 4 (Mid Bounce) Modus 120X (50º/54º) & DG TI S400 (60º)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2 (33.75", 70º lie, 2.5º loft)

I was fitted for the Taylormade 790 irons. I love them. When being fitted I was hitting 6 iron 171 and total 180. Launch 18* with 87 swing speed. This was with the KBS Tour v 110 shafts. When I ordered (through a friend who was a rep) TM did not carry these shafts so I got the KBS Tour 120 shafts. So they are 10 grams heavier. They prescription I got was to have my irons 1.5* weak. I just hit with the swing caddie 300 and my launch angle was 22* my carry was 155-160 and swing speed was 80-82.

SHould I consider ordering the KBS Tour v 110 shafts and reshaft? Should I have my irons bent -1.5* to be back to standard? I am just not sure why I lose so much distance. Shaft weigh or loft

Thank you

IMO the shaft weight is an important part. A lighter shaft will alllow you a faster swing.

I recommend you do a good sesión with your 6i, buy only a shaft for 6i, reshaft test it and compare.

No offense to the Swing Caddie but before you go changing anything I'd want to confirm those numbers on a Trackman or GCQuad or something a little more accurate like what you were fit on. 1.5° of loft is maybe 5 yards of carry distance at that end of the bag so that will explain some of it, but before you go changing anything I'd confirm actual numbers on something a little more reliable or even just on the course. There's also something to be said for just adapting to new irons. Sometimes it takes a little time to get used to it and that distance comes back.

Thank you. I was going to d

o that before I did anything but wanted some feedback

Thank you

IMO the shaft weight is an important part. A lighter shaft will alllow you a faster swing.

I recommend you do a good sesión with your 6i, buy only a shaft for 6i, reshaft test it and compare.

I agree on the shafts, however My old set was 90 grams and my swingspeed was much higher with the heavier shaft on these

Yes shaft weight can be important - but swing speed will not always increase as the weight gets lower. For some it might and for others it can even go down. More importantly it can have an possible effect on rhythm, tempo, swing plane, consistency, and much more.

Now whether a 10 gm change will have any noticeable effects on a particular individual or not is a different question - but one that can only be answered by demoing the two side-by-side.

So a test of a single shaft before switching the whole set over is a very good idea.

Yes shaft weight can be important - but swing speed will not always increase as the weight gets lower. For some it might and for others it can even go down. More importantly it can have an possible effect on rhythm, tempo, swing plane, consistency, and much more.

Now whether a 10 gm change will have any noticeable effects on a particular individual or not is a different question - but one that can only be answered by demoing the two side-by-side.

So a test of a single shaft before switching the whole set over is a very good idea.

i agree, and i dont think i saw that large a drop in club speed from "only 10 grams", but since the measuring equipment is not the same, those 5 mph club speed difference is a number we cant trust, but when distance drops too, we can at least give the numbers a try to see if they match up.

If we say his average PTR value was 1.35 who is OK, then 5 mph club speed difference would give us 6.75 mph more ball speed, and we get close to 2 yards more carry for each (with same launch and spin) so distance should be 12-14 yards...the OP say 171 vs 155 to 160 so its the ball park we should expect IF that 5 mph drop from 87 to 82 is correct, and it seems like it is in this case.

That means the OP is on the edge of his own max with those Tour V shafts at 110 grams, thats why we see such a large drop from only 10 grams up, so this mach good with my own findings who was the bases of my Shaft weight progression chart, where i say 5 grams up or down is where most will find the right shaft, outside of that range we are most likely to light or to heavy like this case where the offset was 10 grams.

I think the right to do is change those shafts, but its to expensive if it fails, and it all was due to different LMs and "swing of the day", so i support the suggestion of changing just 1 shaft to make sure its the right decision, but in this case i really think it is, based on the info we got, at least thats the direction of the arrows for now.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

In addition to being lighter the Tour V launches a bit lower and spins less.

I play Tour V120x and even though the Tour S+ at 125 is comparable in flex I’d never play it.

Besides that, don’t do anything until you hit the shafts you have on the same launch monitor you were fitted on under the same conditions

Thank you

Did you have the lofts checked? TM lofts can and some of mine have been way off. Please check the lofts before doing anything else.

Then if they are correct, make the adjustment to the standard loft.

Also, are they the same length as when you tried them initially for the fitting? Swingweight will have more affect than the shaft weight.

Check the SW to see they are correct...yes, TM will not SW and they could be way off.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Thank you

Did you have the lofts checked? TM lofts can and some of mine have been way off. Please check the lofts before doing anything else.

Also, are they the same length as when you tried them initially for the fitting? Swingweight will have more affect than the shaft weight.

Check the SW to see they are correct...yes, TM will not SW and they could be way off.

This is what i was thinking. I bet the specs are way off. TM isnt great with lofts lies and swingweight.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Thank you

This is what i was thinking. I bet the specs are way off. TM isnt great with lofts lies and swingweight.

Thats always a possibility that should be checked, good you chimed in with that, we often take for granted that specs given is what the equipment is, but its very often off specs and can explain the issue.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Both the shaft weight and the weaker loft probably accounted for the lost of distance and club head speed ( MATBE THROWING IN THE GOLFER ? )

It'll be meaningless unless you could compare the two side by side and back to back. What served in your memory does not count for the current condition ( both equipment and the golfer ).

Exactly the reason why I think when golfers go for a fitting should bring their equipment ( old and familiar ) to the fitting so they could have a reference point instead of going back to memory or pull out other numbers /result from another time.

We all have the experience of not playing up to our own expectation on a few holes on the golf course , right ? Whether it'd be the beginning of the round or in between or toward the end...…. did the equipment change during the 18 ? Of course not,

Both the shaft weight and the weaker loft probably accounted for the lost of distance and club head speed ( MATBE THROWING IN THE GOLFER ? )

It'll be meaningless unless you could compare the two side by side and back to back. What served in your memory does not count for the current condition ( both equipment and the golfer ).

Exactly the reason why I think when golfers go for a fitting should bring their equipment ( old and familiar ) to the fitting so they could have a reference point instead of going back to memory or pull out other numbers /result from another time.

We all have the experience of not playing up to our own expectation on a few holes on the golf course , right ? Whether it'd be the beginning of the round or in between or toward the end...…. did the equipment change during the 18 ? Of course not,

I agree I did have old clubs with me at the fitting. I am going off the numbers from the fitting as well as the Swing Caddie.

I did take the swing caddie to compare with Track man and it actually was pretty close. Off a little here and there. I will take clubs to have checked. I also agree alot of this is the golfer!!

I agree I did have old clubs with me at the fitting. I am going off the numbers from the fitting as well as the Swing Caddie.

I did take the swing caddie to compare with Track man and it actually was pretty close. Off a little here and there. I will take clubs to have checked. I also agree alot of this is the golfer!!

Good for you , not just relying on the numbers produced indoor.

How was the ball flight ? Was it about the same as expected ? Higher ? Lower ?

Since we are not Iron Byron, the one single biggest variance in golf fitting , is, the golfer. The game is measured on seconds and fraction of a degrees …….. human body will not be as consistent, but, we all have a thing called the brain. the adjustment human brain could do to the other part of the body is simply amazing.

Eye sight is so important in all sports, if the eyesight is compromised, the eye-hand coordination could not be sharpened. Some of the oldies could not putt any longer and they blamed it on the IPS, actually their eye sight had shifted, not losing their nerve.

I think you should at least change one shaft in the set to the fitted spec and try that one out. Maybe the 10 gm. of extra weight and a weaker loft really did you in.

Just my observation, the lighter shaft weight should be accompanied with a stronger loft, not a weaker one. Besides, when dealing with shaft weight, you'll have to adjust for the flex. I'd rather adjust the flex instead of changing the loft of the irons, in your case.

• 2 weeks later...

All the specs were correct, (Loft,Lie, Length) the only one that was off was SW was D1 not D2. My brother in law is a former tour pro and told me I should be at D3 or D4! Not sure about that but I will try that as well. I went to Golf Galaxy and hit on their monitor and it was similar number to the Swing Caddie except for launch angle. The Launch angle was the same as when I was fitted but my distance was still close to 20 yards shorter than when I was fitted. I got some Tour V 110s and having them all reshafted. Heading to Florida soon and will try them outside and on the course. Thank you for all the advice!! Who knew golf could be so complicated. I think I was better off before the fitting becasue I did not know what I did not know and now maybe I am a head case!! LOL

My brother in law is a former tour pro and told me I should be at D3 or D4! Not sure about that but I will try that as well.

I don't care how good a player he might be, NO one should be telling you what you should be playing for swing weight. You are the only one that can determine that, just get some lead tape and go to the range. And the value you get will only be good for those particular shaft and that set (don't assume you need the same value in every other club like driver or fairways, hybrids, etc...).