True Stories of A Super High Handicap Golfer Part 1

defender2803defender2803 Handicap...it's over 9000!!Members Posts: 240 ClubWRX
So it begins...

Many years ago I was introduced to golf when I took the Archery/Golf PE class in high school. This mainly consisted of shooting arrows into targets at 20 feet and going out with some random club and hitting into big circles in the field next to the stadium. I passed with flying colors (circles were really big and not far away).

Fast forward 25+ years (yes...really). I decide to go play at work's annual charity scramble. Hit up a guy on Craigslist and purchase a set of Northwestern clubs for $10 with bag, towel, and rain hood...what a deal...that rain hood is awesome! Take them home and clean them up...what is L Flex...? Picked up a big box of golf balls at Wally World, tees, a hat, and a glove. Up to about $40 total...I'm ready for GOLF!!!

Show up to the scramble early to get in some practice. Good thing to because the right side of me was clear of any one in the way of my errant shots. You can actually hit a golf ball sideways...didn't know that until that day. Pull out the "Whammo!" stick and sliced well enough to almost get out 50 yards...and 50 right. Well...once I get on the course I will do better.

Luckily I was playing with a group that was much worse than I. All told we made bogey every hole that round...it was the rules...get to bogey and pick it up. I only went through about a dozen of the 18 pack of balls so I had that going for me...I would only need another 1/2 dozen for next year.

Of course coming in dead last meant a reward of free golf lessons. Wonderful news! We need them. However...it was zig-zag rules for scoring and awards, we came in second...to dead last. ??? I would have to wait another year to get my free lessons. Which turned into many years of not getting free lessons.

Stupid zig-zag.

As far as learning experiences...,"You mean the ball is supposed to go in different places when you hit different clubs? Know that I did not..."

Stay tuned for next week's episode when our hero has a friend with a country club membership... image/slow_en.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':slow_en:' />
Ping G10 Draw
Ping G10 3w
Ping E1 4-uw
Ping i210 3i
Ping Glide 56
Ping Anser 2 Beni
QuakeCon - Attendee, Volunteer, or Staff from 2004-present

Comments

• WrigglesWriggles Members Posts: 3,173 ✭✭
    IT IS GOLF!
  • scomac2002scomac2002 Inside the Starters' Hut Members Posts: 5,422 ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to following this serial thread of one man's relationship with the game of golf. It's already beginning to sound a lot like my own! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> Good stuff!
    Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

Titleist 913 D2 12°
    Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5°/20°
    TM '09 Rescue 25°
    TM Burner Plus 6-AW
    TM Z Spin 56°
    Rossa Tourismo 3 counterbalanced 37"
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 656 ✭✭
    Good on ya for picking the game up. You will hit 1 or 2 good shots per round over the next few years that will keep you from quitting. You will quit 2 or 3 times, maybe forever...you’ll hate yourself for the vast majority of time you spend playing golf...you’ll wonder why God cursed you by introducing you to this game...and yet you may get through all of that and grow a love for this game like many of us. I don’t know of any other endeavor that can be both so maddening and intoxicating at the same time (actually now that I think about it, relationships with the opposite **** can be a lot like that too). Anyway, I don’t know of many other pursuits like the pursuit of getting better at golf.

Enjoy it!!!

(Oh, and good on ya for playing at your buddy’s club. I was always too self conscious to play any decent courses in my early days of golf. I played a lot of dog tracks, but they were perfect for a beginning golfer. Just make sure to learn the etiquette, learn to play quick and pick up a lot, and you will be welcomed back)
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • Timbo929Timbo929 Posts: 398 ✭✭
    edited Mar 12, 2019 12:56am #5
    Op, hope you have a LOT of money, time, and money and time.

Welcome to the best sport on the planet.
  • BogeyPutt34BogeyPutt34 Members Posts: 82 ✭✭
    I wish you all the best on your journey. We are all in the same boat, trust me. Best thing I’ve done thus far is stop practicing on mats, find a grass range or a range that doesn’t mind you going off into the corner and hit off the grass. Also remember you will likely hit the ball with your putter 2-3x more than your driver, especially early on, so practice putting and chipping more than anything. 
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members Posts: 14,967 ✭✭
    I like your sense of humor. You're going to need it for the rest of your golf life.
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,314 ✭✭
    "Picking up the game ?"
    "Welcome to the best sport on the planet ?"

TLDR but at least I got through the first paragraph and part of the 2nd

LMAO

From the OP - "Many years ago I was introduced to golf when I took the Archery/Golf PE class in high school. This mainly consisted of shooting arrows into targets at 20 feet and going out with some random club and hitting into big circles in the field next to the stadium. I passed with flying colors (circles were really big and not far away).
    Fast forward 25+ years (yes...really)."

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • billh17billh17 just happy to play Members Posts: 2,844 ✭✭

As long as we can laugh at ourselves,the world will never be too harsh !
    Enjoy the travel and keep finding the humor !

Certified Orginal Member#2
    Outlaw Golf Association
    To Heck with the USGA
  • howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 720 ✭✭

Obviously “next week’s episode” was a figure of speech.

• defender2803defender2803 Handicap...it's over 9000!! Members Posts: 240 ClubWRX
    Ping G10 Draw
    Ping G10 3w
    Ping E1 4-uw
    Ping i210 3i
    Ping Glide 56
    Ping Anser 2 Beni
    QuakeCon - Attendee, Volunteer, or Staff from 2004-present
  • howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 720 ✭✭

Ah. Thanks. Now that I see it I remember reading Part 2. Well done. Not that I’ll be able to find anything ever again with the new format. All of “my discussions” seem to be from six months ago and threads I commented on yesterday don’t show.