34 or 35 inch putters

AggieleftyAggielefty Members Posts: 20 ✭✭
I once used 34 inch putters. I switched to. 35 about 5 years ago. I am considering going back to 34. What do you all use 34 or 35. (Those that are not using longer ones ).

Comments

• BYKBYK Members Posts: 1,597 ✭✭
    LOL is this a serious question?

Whatever works
    Yadi for President
  • armyhawk3342armyhawk3342 Members Posts: 55 ✭✭
    I use a 34. Pretty much because I like to feel more bent over when I putt instead of being more upright with the 35. I'd suggest going with what feels more comfortable to you.
    Driver: Cobra F8+ (9.5*)
    Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5)
    Hybrid: Cobra F7 (22*), Cobra F8 (25*)
    Irons: Cobra King Pro MB Black (6-PW)
    Wedges: Callaway MD4 Tactical (50* S Grind, 54* S Grind, 58* X Grind)
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tess
    Ball: Titleist AVX/ Wilson Staff Duo U
  • Boricua GolfBoricua Golf Members Posts: 3,380 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 9, 2019 5:24am #4
    I am only 5'9" and I use a 32.75" putter length, it feels and gets me a better true roll
    Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Tour 65X, tipped 1", 44.25"
    Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
    Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
    Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour 32.75", built up Pingman Grip (Ping Oslo and Ping Nome TR as backup 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0)
    2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X
  • rt_chargerrt_charger Ball Hitter Posts: 132 ✭✭
    edited Mar 9, 2019 5:53am #5
    The answer is get fitted. I think you'll find unless you're over 6'5 tall (or funky proportions) you would never need a putter longer than 34". The amount of people I've seen using a putter too long and either choking down heaps, or a long way toe up. My putter was fitted at 33.5", I'm average height and proportions. Choking down on a putter (if not counterbalanced) ruins the head feel.
    "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones
  • I moved to 34 inch and then 33 inch a while back because a friend who’s a pro said that my eyes were better over the ball with that length putter. I found when I was practising though that my back would hurt after about 10 minutes or so as I was obviously holding myself in an awkward position. Being relaxed and having no tension is so important in the putting stroke so I went back to 35 inch and started banging them in again because I could practise a lot more and was in a more comfortable position. Rickie Fowler (in my opinion one of the best putters on tour) has such a smooth stroke with a 35 inch putter and he can’t be an inch over 5’2”
  • Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Posts: 1,512 ✭✭
    6'3" and use 36" putter
    8.5* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • ColinKelvinColinKelvin Members Posts: 106 ClubWRX
    6'4" and use 34 or 33" putter length; I stoop and prefer to be as close as possible to the ball. Everyone's different and preferred length depends on height, stance and stroke.
    Ping Anser 9.5* driver
    Ping Anser 17*, 20* hybrids
    Ping i200 4-UW blue dot +0.5"
    Ping Anser Forged 56*
    Ping Nome TR

Putter bench: Ping Ketsch 400g CB adj / Ping Wack-E IN / Ping Redwood Anser Prototype
  • AggieleftyAggielefty Members Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Yes, I understand it is always better to get fitted and it is always ‘what works’. But, it is nice to hear what people are using and their reasons behind the decision. ‘Go with what works’ would be the answer to 65% of the post on here (get fitted for another 20%)

• Jacob37Jacob37 Posts: 95 ClubWRX
    I’m 6’7” and use a 35”
  • theothertwotheothertwo Members Posts: 2,476 ✭✭
    Putted with a 35" for 20 plus years, moved to 34" for a few years, now using 33.50". Makes my hands hang naturally, I am 5'8".
    Honma TW 727 455s 10.5* Driver
    Honma TW 727 18* 5 Wood
    Honma TW 727 22* Hybrid
    Miura CB 57 4-PW Irons
    Miura 2018 Tour Wedges 52* and 58*
    Taylor Made TP Black Copper Ardmore 3 Putter
  • MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 208 ✭✭
    I'm 6'3" and use a 35-36" putter. It depends on your stance, what you find comfortable, etc.

I can putt with a 32" putter but my back won't work after 5 holes.
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: << Testing in Progress >>
    ulAVttu.png - F7 3W - 15.5D - Tensei Blue 60S
    0kZapzq.png- 816 H1 - 21 - Diamana S+ 70R
    Tghg11i.jpg - Z585 4-7 / Z785 8-PW - AMT White Tour S300
    Wedges:
    • cKIO92v.png- MD3 - 51
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide 2.0 Stealth - 56
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide - 60

Putter: q8m5K5T.png - E-3
    taylormade-small.jpg - TP5x or urp3gG8.png - MTB Red
    LhHjFh3.png - Pioneer
  • melly9melly9 Members Posts: 29

Putted with a 35" for 20 plus years, moved to 34" for a few years, now using 33.50". Makes my hands hang naturally, I am 5'8".

I’m 5’8” as well and 33.5” is perfect for me.

I moved to 34 inch and then 33 inch a while back because a friend who’s a pro said that my eyes were better over the ball with that length putter. I found when I was practising though that my back would hurt after about 10 minutes or so as I was obviously holding myself in an awkward position. Being relaxed and having no tension is so important in the putting stroke so I went back to 35 inch and started banging them in again because I could practise a lot more and was in a more comfortable position. Rickie Fowler (in my opinion one of the best putters on tour) has such a smooth stroke with a 35 inch putter and he can’t be an inch over 5’2”

Rickie stands extremely close to the ball and hence upright. That's why he has a 52" putter.
    "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,654 ✭✭
    melly9 wrote:

I’m 5’8” as well and 33.5” is perfect for me.
    5'8", and use 35" putter. I like to stand up, and a shorter putter makes me feel like I'm reaching.
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,699 ✭✭
    It depends. image/bye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 24,981 ✭✭
    edited Mar 10, 2019 9:33am #17
    rt_charger wrote:

The answer is get fitted. I think you'll find unless you're over 6'5 tall (or funky proportions) you would never need a putter longer than 34". The amount of people I've seen using a putter too long and either choking down heaps, or a long way toe up. My putter was fitted at 33.5", I'm average height and proportions. Choking down on a putter (if not counterbalanced) ruins the head feel.

I don’t disagree that plenty would benefit from a shorter putter. But choking down isn’t different than cutting it down. Same same. If choking down ruins the feel , Cutting hit down will too. Exception being the feel of some tapered grips when choked down
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
    edited Mar 10, 2019 11:45pm #18

rt_charger wrote:

I don’t disagree that plenty would benefit from a shorter putter. But choking down isn’t different than cutting it down. Same same. If choking down ruins the feel , Cutting hit down will too. Exception being the feel of some tapered grips when choked down

Think about this: a pendulum held 2 inches shorter than the top will swing differently to one 2 inches shorter, held from the top. Why? There's weight above the pivot point which inherently affects how big the arc is. As it swings one way, the weight is pulling down the top as the bottom rises, encouraging more swing. Held at the top there is no weight above. It's basically turning a longer putter into a not properly counterbalanced, shorter putter . That may work for some people but I know I didn't like it before I got my putter (mine was 35, choked down 2 inches).
  • jc88jc88 Members Posts: 7 ✭✭
    I'm 6'1 and use 34". I think like everyone says, it'll depend on what feels best and comfortable to you. Got to get that feeling. Chase it.
  • roundersmittyroundersmitty Posts: 1,104 ✭✭
    I'm 5 7 and use a 34. My right arm doesn't straighten, or I would probably be 1' shorter on all my clubs
    2017 M1 10.5* Kuro Kage 60s
    Exotics 16.5* Exotics Fuji 72s
    Adams XTD ti 20* Red Tie S
    TM P770 4-P Steelfiber i95s
    TM MG 50*,56*,60* Steelfiber i95s
    Odyssey EXO Seven S
  • duck hookduck hook Members Posts: 1,094 ClubWRX
    5’11” and have always used a 35”, i recently purchased a eyeline mirror which put me a lot closer to the ball, I cut my putter down to 33 3/4”, feels pretty good for right now
  • daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭
    edited Mar 11, 2019 11:10am #22
    rt_charger wrote:

rt_charger wrote:

Think about this: a pendulum held 2 inches shorter than the top will swing differently to one 2 inches shorter, held from the top. Why? There's weight above the pivot point which inherently affects how big the arc is. As it swings one way, the weight is pulling down the top as the bottom rises, encouraging more swing. Held at the top there is no weight above. It's basically turning a longer putter into a not properly counterbalanced, shorter putter . That may work for some people but I know I didn't like it before I got my putter (mine was 35, choked down 2 inches).

I am neither an engineer or BAD but I do know this. My Scotty Cameron Mill Spec Newport 330 g shaft at 37", gripped down to the bottom of a standard length Super Stroke grip works great for me. Better than the same putter at a shorter length. I'm 6'3"
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,405 ✭✭

rt_charger wrote:

I don't disagree that plenty would benefit from a shorter putter. But choking down isn't different than cutting it down. Same same. If choking down ruins the feel , Cutting hit down will too. Exception being the feel of some tapered grips when choked down

Gripping at the top of the grip and choking down on a longer putter feel drastically different to me.
    dalehead wrote:

rt_charger wrote:

rt_charger wrote:

I am neither an engineer or BAD but I do know this. My Scotty Cameron Mill Spec Newport 330 g shaft at 37", gripped down to the bottom of a standard length Super Stroke grip works great for me. Better than the same putter at a shorter length. I'm 6'3"

That's probably because it's 37". That length must provide the right counterbalance for you, for where you grip it. Always exceptions to the rule.
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,925 ✭✭
    Anywhere from 33 to 35.5. They all work equally well/not well.
  • taylormade4lifetaylormade4life Members Posts: 1,243 ✭✭
    6’2” and I play a 35” but choke down about 3/4”. I have tried playing a shorter putter but just don’t feel as comfortable. Mental I’m sure, but I gave up!
  • QuasimotoQuasimoto Members Posts: 864 ✭✭
    I have always used 34" on the 2 dozen putters (roughly) that I own.

Always the same - I don't putt any better or any worse with any of them, and I'm a pretty solid putter especially from 6' in

Everything from 10 feet in my hands are low on the grip so that my right index finger is curled around the shaft at the grip.

Over 10 feet I have my hands in the more traditional middle of the grip.

Naturally these different positions and distances vary depending on green speed.
    Srixon 785 9.5 HC HZRDUS 6.0 / Cobra F9 9 HZRDUS Smoke
    Titleist TS3 13.5 75g S EvenFlo
    Taylormade GAPR Hi 3,4,5 70g KBS R
    Srixon z785 6-AW Nippon Tour 105 R
    Titleist SM7 54 & 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7, Evenroll #5
    TM TP5, Titleist AVX
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan Posts: 728 ✭✭
    For 40 years I had putted left hand low with a 35 inch putter (Ping Redwood followed by SC Fastback). I rate my putting those years as barely average on good days (even when I played at a 3HC) to really poor.

I recently changed to a 34 inch Spider X after watching a Jason Day video and am trying to mimic his setup where hands pretty much directly oppose each other on the shaft.

For the first time in my life I can't wait to get on the green and putt. I said this in the X forum, but for the first time in my many years of golf, going to this putter, this shaft length, this setup...it is a game changer for me!

Zero 3 putts in 3 rounds and that is a first. Averaging 3 birdies per round playing on a 120 slope in 40-45 degrees. I wish I would have not waited 40 years to try other lengths and set up.
    Taylormade 2017 M2 with Hzrdus stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff [font=arial, sans-serif]Oban Kiyoshi[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Tour Limited[/font]
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Srixon Z945 with Recoil 110 F4 5i - PW
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!
  • taylormade4lifetaylormade4life Members Posts: 1,243 ✭✭
    rxk9fan wrote:

For 40 years I had putted left hand low with a 35 inch putter (Ping Redwood followed by SC Fastback). I rate my putting those years as barely average on good days (even when I played at a 3HC) to really poor.

I recently changed to a 34 inch Spider X after watching a Jason Day video and am trying to mimic his setup where hands pretty much directly oppose each other on the shaft.

For the first time in my life I can't wait to get on the green and putt. I said this in the X forum, but for the first time in my many years of golf, going to this putter, this shaft length, this setup...it is a game changer for me!

Zero 3 putts in 3 rounds and that is a first. Averaging 3 birdies per round playing on a 120 slope in 40-45 degrees. I wish I would have not waited 40 years to try other lengths and set up.

What video was that? Be curious to see it.

-Fellow not so great putter
  • sford31sford31 Members Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited Mar 15, 2019 12:44am #30
    I feel like it matters a lot about the putter. Depending on balance and the path it wants to travel through. One putter may be better for you at 34” and a different one may be better played at 35”.

It’s trying to find that perfect marriage between setup and putter that counts. As well as working with you the way your body and mind wants to function.
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,333 ✭✭
    I'm 188 (I guess 6'1.5?) and use a 35" putter. Have used 35.5" in the past with good results too. I have fairly straight arms, but my shoulders are somewhat back (think Tiger Woods putting posture). This makes a big difference in how long the putter plays, making it feel a lot shorter than it is.

Pat O'Brien has a simple drill where you grip the putter and hold it relaxed out in front of you, then just bend from the hips down to place the putter behind the ball, all while keeping your shoulders and arms in the same "neutral" position. When I do this, I find it much less restricting to make a good stroke compared to if I just let my shoulders drop. As soon as my stroke feels weird or I can't get comfortable over the ball, I do this and it always solves it.