ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Ladies AM at Augusta

MedicMedic Members, Advanced Members Posts: 9,411 ✭✭
Sierra Brooks' dad is a good friend of mine and I have known her since she was like 6 years old. I played in a tourney with her when she was 14 and she rarely missed a putt within 10 feet and hit the ball 250 off of the tee.

And now she gets to play AN!

Wow!!!!

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/augusta-national-womens-amateur-sierra-brooks-excited

Trust me, fellas - this little girl is one to watch. Well grounded to - Mom and Dad did an awesome job raising her. She's played all over the world but is still the same as when I first met her. If she ever makes the LPGA I will be there, behind the ropes, watching the dream continue to be realized. But she is playing arguably the most famous golf course in the US and one of the most famous in the world. Like I said...wow!
Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Slate 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Odyssey Versa 9 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Comments

• KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Advanced Members Posts: 309 ✭✭
    Very cool! Did she get you tickets? I figured tickets wouldve been easy (easier than The Masters i should say) to come by but boy was i wrong.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,727 ClubWRX
    Nice, now I have a rooting interest!
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Advanced Members Posts: 3,695 ✭✭
    That’s really cool that you know someone in the event. I did a quick google search and I hate to break the news but she’s not a little girl as you said. She appears to be an adult woman.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,213 ✭✭
    KAndyMan wrote:

Very cool! Did she get you tickets? I figured tickets wouldve been easy (easier than The Masters i should say) to come by but boy was i wrong.

Yep. And I didn’t even know about the lottery. Not like they’d pick me anyway. But still.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
    Ping i500 pre-production proto 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105X
    Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Advanced Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭
    Are they going to play the member's tees?
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Advanced Members Posts: 5,297 ✭✭
    She makes a good move at the ball.

There are a lot of people that criticize ANGC for its history...but they surely seem to be making an effort to grow the game and evolve. Drive, pitch and putt, handing out Mastes invites to world wide amateur event winners and now the Ladies Am - I never thought we’d see Ladies at August.

Anybody wanna take a bet that their are a more than a few grumbles from the LPGA players that they haven’t been invited yet? I don’t blame them...I’d be irked.

Always thought a Solheim Cup at August would be awesome.
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,727 ClubWRX

KAndyMan wrote:

Yep. And I didn't even know about the lottery. Not like they'd pick me anyway. But still.

You live too close!
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,213 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

KAndyMan wrote:

Yep. And I didn't even know about the lottery. Not like they'd pick me anyway. But still.

You live too close!

I know ! lol. But what the **** !? That’s regional discrimination!
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
    Ping i500 pre-production proto 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105X
    Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • postfoldpostfold oh how I LOVE putting Advanced Members Posts: 356
    Anybody wanna take a bet that their are a more than a few grumbles from the LPGA players that they haven’t been invited yet? I don’t blame them...I’d be irked.

I suspect that any grumbling will be private as AN has proven over and over that they aren’t fond of being trashed in the media and will do things on their own schedule. Money is a remarkable insulator.

A Solheim would indeed be fun though probably a bit rowdy for the stuffed shirts.
  • ShilgyShilgy Advanced Members Posts: 11,096 ✭✭
    PING G400 LST Alta CB 55s
    TM M1 3w 14* Graphite Design BB7s
    TM M2 5w 18* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8S or Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
    Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
    Srixon Z585 5 & 6 Nippon Pro Modus 125S
    Srixon Z785 7-PW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
    Vokey SZM7 50°
    Cleveland RTX4 S400TI raw 56° & 60°
    Toulon Garage Rochester flow neck H5/ Toulon Rochester stock

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • MedicMedic Members, Advanced Members Posts: 9,411 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Nice, now I have a rooting interest!

She had a tough year during her freshman year at Wake Forest. Coach didn't seem to grasp the importance of letting an injury heal completely.

She is in a groove as a lady gator and has been shooting low rounds since coming "home". Her dad, Brent, will be on the bag during the tourney. I told him to "sneak" me a text image if there's an opening and it won't get him into hot water. Perhaps from the range or something. (If he does I will post it into this thread)

But she has actually changed her swing since I played that round with her. She used to hit a little baby draw and now, from the videos I have seen, she is favoring a fade.

As for the question about the tees they will be playing, no chance it would be the back tees. I am sure they are protecting them from any divots. But if I was a betting man I'd wager they will be playing at least close to mid 6000's.

It will be great seeing some future LPGA stars playing that amazing track and watching my good friend realizing a dream carrying his little girl's bag in a huge televised tourney. Brent and I have talked about this for like 15 years! I am beyond thrilled for the both of them!!!
    Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
    Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 4-PW w/KBS 90s
    Titleist Vokey 50*
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Slate 56*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
    Odyssey Versa 9 34"
    Callaway Chrome Soft
  • JaNelson38JaNelson38 Advanced Members Posts: 2,600
    edited March 14

There are a lot of people that criticize ANGC for its history...but they surely seem to be making an effort to grow the game and evolve. Drive, pitch and putt, handing out Mastes invites to world wide amateur event winners and now the Ladies Am - I never thought we’d see Ladies at August.

Why would LPGA players be "irked" that they havent been invited to a private club to play golf? Its not up to them. Augusta can put on the tournaments that they want to. The only way this Ladies Am works for them is because it's a one-day event that fits in the schedule where the course is being prepped for the Masters.

I suspect this Ladies Am will once again stoke those fires that the LPGA "deserves" to play at Augusta, but people continue to forget that Augusta is not open year-round...they're closed pretty much all summer. The members there get to play from October to when they close it up to prep for the masters in March. There's no way they would be able to prep that course for a summer LPGA Tour event like the Solheim Cup.
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Advanced Members Posts: 6,664 ✭✭
    JaNelson38 wrote:

Why would LPGA players be "irked" that they havent been invited to a private club to play golf? Its not up to them. Augusta can put on the tournaments that they want to. The only way this Ladies Am works for them is because it's a one-day event that fits in the schedule where the course is being prepped for the Masters.

I suspect this Ladies Am will once again stoke those fires that the LPGA "deserves" to play at Augusta, but people continue to forget that Augusta is not open year-round...they're closed pretty much all summer. The members there get to play from October to when they close it up to prep for the masters in March. There's no way they would be able to prep that course for a summer LPGA Tour event like the Solheim Cup.

A summer tournament is not possible unless they replace every single blade of grass on the property.
    JaNelson38 wrote:

It is a three day event over four days. Rather odd really. Wednesday Thursday are rounds one and two...Friday is a practice day and then final round is Saturday. The Solheim Cup event is in the fall And AN is open then. I am in no way saying that they should be forced into hosting an LPGA event of any kind but the schedule is not an issue for hosting the Solheim Cup.

https://www.anwagolf.com/en_US/schedule.html
    Vokey SZM7 50°

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • cwglumcwglum Advanced Members Posts: 1,549 ✭✭
    This event could be so great to watch. Ball speeds and distances off tee will be a lot more relatable for joe public. Most interested in how the greens hold shots coming in from much lower trajectory. Only way to make it less enjoyable is if the telecast forces the "you're so lucky to get another telecast from Augusta" point of view.
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Advanced Members Posts: 5,297 ✭✭
    JaNelson38 wrote:

They can irked for the same reason I am....I’ve never been invited to Augusta. That irks me.

If Augusta National told the Tours that they could have the Solheim Cup but only during the week between Christmas and New Years....we’d see those ladies dressed up like Santa’s little helpers running around Amen Corner.
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • Seamus McDuffSeamus McDuff Advanced Members Posts: 841 ✭✭
    Shilgy wrote:

JaNelson38 wrote:

It is a three day event over four days. Rather odd really. Wednesday Thursday are rounds one and two...Friday is a practice day and then final round is Saturday. The Solheim Cup event is in the fall And AN is open then. I am in no way saying that they should be forced into hosting an LPGA event of any kind but the schedule is not an issue for hosting the Solheim Cup.

The first two rounds are not at Augusta.
  • bullie76bullie76 Advanced Members Posts: 2,161
    Intelligent young lady. Cute too. Hope she does well.
    My senior bag.......
    Taylormade M2(2016) 9.5* driver reg
    Taylormade RBZ 13* 3 wood reg
    Adams TL2 - FW 16* 4 wood & 3,4 hybrids reg
    Ping G 6-pw(power lofts), i200 U wedge(49*).....CFS graphite reg
    Ping Glide 54/58 ss reg
    Ping Craz-E putter
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Advanced Members Posts: 7,020 ✭✭
    Couple top girls that I follow picked the ANA over Augusta, although Kupcho did end up saying she'd play Augusta. Will be curious to see how they do... I don't think they'll have any regrets either way.
    WITB
    LTD Pro Kiyoshi White 65X
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    Apex Pro Smoke incoming!!
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
    TP Black Copper Juno
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Advanced Members Posts: 12,373
    Could have done it the week after, not a very nice more towards the ANA
    edited March 15
    Shilgy wrote:

JaNelson38 wrote:

But - the membership’s desire to enjoy the course and all that goes into prepping for an event and having yahoos running about means little desire to add events.

I also don’t understand the fascination with women somehow needing to play there. DC&P an incredible initiative, the women’s am event also dovetails nicely with their schedule at the club. No need for LPGA to be there and I think the reaching out through amateur golf sends a much stronger message to those coming up in the game. Well done and enough done!

Shilgy wrote:

JaNelson38 wrote:

The first two rounds are not at Augusta.
    Thank you, I did not know that.
    Vokey SZM7 50°