ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Project (a) vs. Q Star Tour

ShadrachShadrach Advanced Members Posts: 160
The major manufacturers have made it easy for me, as these two balls are the only mantled urethane covered ball choices on the market for us geezers with driver ss barely above 80. I hope one of them is the clear winner of the playoff, but their specs seem pretty much the same from the materials I've seen.

I have a dozen of the latest version of each. I am going to try "testing" differently this year. I have 4 of each in my bag, and I'm going to play QST on odd days and Pa on even days. It won't matter whether I'm playing 9, or 18, or just chipping, or what have you. So I will not be comparing them "head to head." It occurs to me — after all these years — that I ought to select as the winner the ball that performs best off all 14 clubs, where "best" means "consistently puts me in position to score better." Whacking two or more balls with my driver as a test usually results in balls all over the place because of "swinging for the fences" and not actually playing golf, with a sore back tossed in for bad measure.

When I've got 4 balls left, hopefully I'll have identified my next dozen.

Comments

• erock9174erock9174 Advanced Members Posts: 3,921
    I’d toss in the Duo Professional too. Very similar specs as the other two b
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Driver: Taylormade M3 12* FG[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Fairway: Ping G400 SFT 5w[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Hybrids: Exotics Xrail 23*/26*
    Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
    Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 56*/ 60* / Callaway Sure Out 64*[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Putter: Ping Tyne H
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four 5 [/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Tracking: Game Golf[/font]
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Advanced Members Posts: 6,119 ✭✭
    edited March 10
    Shadrach wrote:

The major manufacturers have made it easy for me, as these two balls are the only mantled urethane covered ball choices on the market for us geezers with driver ss barely above 80. I hope one of them is the clear winner of the playoff, but their specs seem pretty much the same from the materials I've seen.

I have a dozen of the latest version of each. I am going to try "testing" differently this year. I have 4 of each in my bag, and I'm going to play QST on odd days and Pa on even days. It won't matter whether I'm playing 9, or 18, or just chipping, or what have you. So I will not be comparing them "head to head." It occurs to me — after all these years — that I ought to select as the winner the ball that performs best off all 14 clubs, where "best" means "consistently puts me in position to score better." Whacking two or more balls with my driver as a test usually results in balls all over the place because of "swinging for the fences" and not actually playing golf, with a sore back tossed in for bad measure.

I like both balls too. But, prefer the QST as it has a better yellow color and it is cheaper and Srixon has promotional deals. .
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Advanced Members Posts: 6,925 ✭✭
    Tanner25 wrote:

Shadrach wrote:

I like both balls too. But, prefer the QST as it has a better yellow color and it is cheaper and Srixon has promotional deals. .

Have you compared gen 1 QST to gen 2? I'm still using gen 1 with about 3dz left....it really is a wonderful ball for slower speeds
    edited March 10
    SwooshLT wrote:

Tanner25 wrote:

Shadrach wrote:

Have you compared gen 1 QST to gen 2? I'm still using gen 1 with about 3dz left....it really is a wonderful ball for slower speeds

I haven't. Just started with the second gen. Agreed, it seems to match nicely with my slower swing speed.
  • jesusdelallatajesusdelallata Advanced Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
    Both the Q Star Tour and the Project A are great. For some reason I get along better with the QST. I can’t explain it. The Project A spins more around the green. I agree to try the Wilson Duo Professional. I once tested all three around the green and they all worked almost identical.
    Driver - Callaway Rogue
    3w - Callaway Rogue
    5w - Callaway Rogue
    Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Advanced Members Posts: 7,025 ✭✭
    Project A spins more, feels softer.
    WITB
    LTD Pro Kiyoshi White 65X
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    Apex Pro Smoke incoming!!
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
    TP Black Copper Juno
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
  • Hammer22Hammer22 Advanced Members Posts: 410
    The ‘18 Project (a) is a great ball. My driver SS is 105+ and I switched over due to the fantastic feel, extra spin, and additional club length I get out of them. Not just for slow swing players either. I’d take them over the TP5 especially since they can be acquired for a lot less and TM sends you a free dozen for every four dozen you buy. Great deals on eBay as well. The ‘14 version wasn’t bad, they got better in ‘16, and ‘18 is even more of a step up.
    nflam-button.png
  • ShadrachShadrach Advanced Members Posts: 160
    Given years of past experience, I am not expecting either of these two very very similar golf balls to blow the other out of the water with either driver length or sufficient greenside spin. So for me the tie breaker will be endurance.

I don't hit the ball very far, but I hit it straight and play like I understand that. So I don't lose a lot of golf balls. Therefore a ball that stays white, round, and un-fuzzy over 18 or 36 holes has an advantage over one that doesn't. I am not suggesting that either of these does or doesn't do that. That's what I'll be testing for over several weeks.
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Advanced Members Posts: 2,555 ✭✭
    Throw B-stone RX/RSX into the mix.
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 105 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Pro V1
  • Arlin964Arlin964 Members Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited March 10
    Shadrach wrote:

Given years of past experience, I am not expecting either of these two very very similar golf balls to blow the other out of the water with either driver length or sufficient greenside spin. So for me the tie breaker will be endurance.

I don't hit the ball very far, but I hit it straight and play like I understand that. So I don't lose a lot of golf balls. Therefore a ball that stays white, round, and un-fuzzy over 18 or 36 holes has an advantage over one that doesn't. I am not suggesting that either of these does or doesn't do that. That's what I'll be testing for over several weeks.

Please do report back. I’m very interested and I’m partially testing QST now too. I played it a few holes today along with Bridgestone B XS, Srixon Z Star XV, and Chrome Soft. Of these four, BXS and XV seemed to perform best for me. Somewhat straight off the driver, and the feel off the putter suited what I like. Felt a little “heavier” which I like.

As noodle states above, RX and RXS could be good. I intend to test them too. They’re supposed to be straighter off the driver, according to the marketing and Brisgestones ball fitter tool online.

EDIT: FYI, I swing about 96-100 on driver.
    TaylorMade R1 10.5*
    Ping Anser 3w
    Callaway Rogue X - 3h, 4h, 5h
    Nickent 6DX - 6-PW
    Wilson Staff PMP 50*
    Cleveland CBX 56*
    Odyssey #7s O-Works
  • Caesar's shankCaesar's shank Members Posts: 1
    Project a my preferred ball, is around half a club longer and has nice feel on chips. I'm playing q star tour at the moment and it is a really nice feel through the irons although the distance and softer feel off the putter mean I'll go back to project a when I'm out of these
  • sui generissui generis Advanced Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭
    I play them both and cannot tell the difference. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • lenman73lenman73 Advanced Members Posts: 764 ✭✭
    I play both and like both. If I could only have one, I would probly go with the A.
    Shadrach wrote:

I've played both. Clearly the QST has a nicer color yellow than the A...a deciding factor for me.
  • flushemflushem Advanced Members Posts: 1,368 ✭✭
    SwooshLT wrote:

Tanner25 wrote:

Shadrach wrote:

I hated Gen 1 due to excessive side spin but Gen 2 flies way straighter. Still too much greenside spin for my taste. Otherwise, QST G2 is fine ball.
    WWG1 WGA
  • sportz2k1sportz2k1 Members Posts: 31 ✭✭
    I am on the same boat trying to decide between the two balls. QST feels firmer and longer off both iron and driver but project A has more green side spin and feels softer. I wish they can combine the two balls.
  • darsonydarsony Members Posts: 16
    I would suggest going by your overall score to evaluate which ball works best for you. I'm assuming you're not a professional and don't hit the ball perfectly every time. So that means you'll just be subject to random information. But if you play a ball for an entire round - for several rounds - and the score with one brand is better, go with that ball. I recently switched to the 2018 Project <A>. It gives me great distance and iron spin, perhaps a bit much on short chips. The only downside is yes the yellow is ugly.
  • lefty1978lefty1978 Advanced Members Posts: 230 ✭✭
    I am shocked how much I like the Q-star tour. I have been a Z-Star guy, but not sure anymore. It does everything really well for me, can't believe it's a $30/dz ball.
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.0° w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 76g
    Callaway XR16 3w 15° w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 
    Taylormade p790 3i 18° w/ DG S300
    Mizuno MP-54 4i-PW w/ DG S300
    Mizuno S18 52°/9 w/ DG S300
    Mizuno S18 56°/10 w/ DG S300
    Mizuno S18 60°/6 w/ DG S300
    Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 Putter
    Srixon Z-Star/Q-Star Tour golf balls
    Shadrach wrote:

I have a dozen of the latest version of each. I am going to try "testing" differently this year. I have 4 of each in my bag, and I'm going to play QST on odd days and Pa on even days. It won't matter whether I'm playing 9, or 18, or just chipping, or what have you. So I will not be comparing them "head to head." It occurs to me — after all these years — that I ought to select as the winner the ball that performs best off all 14 clubs, where "best" means "consistently puts me in position to score better."

As had been forecast, the temperature here yesterday reached 62°F. The ground is still frozen, and there were a few bedsheet-sized patches of snow remaining on my course. The course remains officially closed.

But I was jones-ing to just hit a few on real grass. Who knows when we'll have "golf weather" again here locally? ("here" is near Buffalo, NY. You may have seen us starring on The Weather Channel.) So, contrary to the stated "testing" plan in my OP, I put the 5W and 8I in my Sunday bag and my mudders on my feet and headed to the course. I got to hit just 8 shots before it started to drizzle. I started with the 5W and burned worms right out of the box with both QST and P(a). Then I hit two 8Is and pured them both. Now I was far enough away to hit two 5Ws, and then two 8Is, back to my starting point. And here's The Take-Away: as has happened to me a million times before, each ball off each club landed just about on top of the other one. This remains amazing to me.

So, first of all, thanks to darsony who wrote I would suggest going by your overall score to evaluate which ball works best for you….But if you play a ball for an entire round - for several rounds - and the score with one brand is better, go with that ball. Wish I'd said that image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

And then, as sui generis wrote, I play them both and cannot tell the difference.So far, me neither.

So, until I can play actual golf — you know, hitting lofted irons into mown greens and being able to use a putter — I am going simply to whack QST v. P(a) with a 6I, say, over and over and over. I strongly believe the winner will ultimately be the whitest non-scruffy survivor of this ordeal.
    WRXers following this thread will find several useful charts with performance data on the QST and P(a), as well as the Tour Soft, at this link:

https://tinyurl.com/y33cwwhe

The data offered in the vid seem to confirm that the QST and P(a) are twin brothers from different mothers.