We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

2019 The Players Championship

Comments

• bravesgolfbravesgolf  296Members Posts: 296
    andrieddle wrote:
    bravesgolf wrote:

MattP66 wrote:
    IMO this is how the worlds various tournaments seem/should be ranked:

Majors

WGC

High tier PGA Tour Events (The Players, API, Torrey ect)

High Tier Euro Tour Events (Ireland, Scotland, British Masters, France ect)

"Lower" PGA Tour events (e.g. Autumn Events + others)

"Lower" Euro Tour Events (Oman, Switzerland ect)

Web.com/Euro Challenge Tour

Mini Tours

My main point being that the Players has a long (hopefully impossible) journey to being a major despite the way its being pushed
    Why do PGA tour events rank in front if ET events?

Because ET top players are playing in the PGA Tour? Tommy, Chicco, Sergio, Rahm, Rory, Rose, Stenson, Poulter (the winning Ryder Cup team) all play in PGA Tour
    Haha! But they are members of the ET tour as well. They have to be for selection. So by your analogy, the ET tour should be ranked above the PGA tour. I mean that's who they represent after all.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mukstermukster A lot can happen in a year. North of the 49th 3643Members Posts: 3,643
    I’ll bet Rory shoots -1 to +1 for the first round.
    Posted:
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Cobra Baffler Rail H 17* hybrid, 
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z565 4 iron Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Srixon A wedge 51° bent to 50°
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • youdamantigeryoudamantiger  446Members Posts: 446
    Rangeballz wrote:

One of my least favorite tournaments of the year. An uninspired, fake, manufactured golf course, a network bloviating over how it really should be considered a major, ball in the water count on 17 (with comparisons to all prior years), obligatory shots of alligators in the ponds. and endless "better than most" replays. Thank goodness college bball tourneys are in full swing....

I don't have any problems with the tournament per se, only its pretensions to major status. As for the course, I hate it. Pete Dye has done some fantastic work, but this ain't it. Sawgrass looks like Dye was drunk on his "Dyeabolical" reputation when he designed it. It's a putt-putt course stretched to 7,000 yards. Plus it has the most overrated hole in all of golf, the gimmicky 17th.
    Posted:
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-Maryland 2429Members Posts: 2,429

Rangeballz wrote:

One of my least favorite tournaments of the year. An uninspired, fake, manufactured golf course, a network bloviating over how it really should be considered a major, ball in the water count on 17 (with comparisons to all prior years), obligatory shots of alligators in the ponds. and endless "better than most" replays. Thank goodness college bball tourneys are in full swing....

I don't have any problems with the tournament per se, only its pretensions to major status. As for the course, I hate it. Pete Dye has done some fantastic work, but this ain't it. Sawgrass looks like Dye was drunk on his "Dyeabolical" reputation when he designed it. It's a putt-putt course stretched to 7,000 yards. Plus it has the most overrated hole in all of golf, the gimmicky 17th.

I agree with both of these comments. The course is not a masterpiece. I wouldn't play it again if you paid me. If I hear any more adulation for either Koch's call or the high art of overseeing with rye, I'm just going to throw my TV out the window. While I prefer the March timeframe, the winds always produce a day when the whole event is reduced to a crash and burn festival. People sit on the side of the hill at 17 cheering balls that go in the water. Then we all go running for cover in a hospitality tent as a storm comes racing thru.
    Posted:
  • Steele47Steele47  1538Members Posts: 1,538
    Only tourneys I can truly get into are the Majors so this is the next best thing. I'm looking forward to it.
    Posted:
  • Danm2501Danm2501  258Members Posts: 258
    Hope we get a better leaderboard going into Sunday this year. Didn't bother watching the finish last year 'cause Webb was so far in front. Be nice to have a few guys in contention going into the last few holes, set up a bit of that 17th hole drama.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M1 HZRDUS Red 62 TI
    Callaway XR 4 Wood
    Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Irons (4-SW)
    Vokey SM5 Wedge 50*
    Callaway Mack Daddy III 58*
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball

Advertisement
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer!  17827Members Posts: 17,827
    bravesgolf wrote:

andrieddle wrote:
    bravesgolf wrote:

MattP66 wrote:

Majors

WGC

Mini Tours

My main point being that the Players has a long (hopefully impossible) journey to being a major despite the way its being pushed

Because ET top players are playing in the PGA Tour? Tommy, Chicco, Sergio, Rahm, Rory, Rose, Stenson, Poulter (the winning Ryder Cup team) all play in PGA Tour
    Haha! But they are members of the ET tour as well. They have to be for selection. So by your analogy, the ET tour should be ranked above the PGA tour. I mean that's who they represent after all.

No. It's not about ranking the Tour, it's about ranking the events. I'm a big fan of the ET and generally think it's a better run tour, but compare the strength of fields of the events and you will see why people might feel that generally the PGA Tour events rank more.

The "strongest" non-major, non-WGC field on the ET for 2018 in would have ranked 16th on the PGA Tour, just below the Valspar.
    Posted:
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJ 1818Members Posts: 1,818
    Personally, I love this event. I love the course, I love the strong field and I love that it's back in March.
    Posted:

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

• Birdie MacBirdie Mac  657Members Posts: 657
    I'm a little surprised at the negative comments about the Sawgrass course or the Players tournament in general. I look forward to the Players every year. As for the 17th being tricky or gimmicky, I don't see it that way. I find it exciting. I'm on the edge of my seat when my guy is in contention and tees it up on that hole. Much like the 12th at the Masters. Speaking of which, if you're tired of the 5th major spiel, then you've really got to be tired of the 'tradition like no other' we get ad nauseum every year for the Masters. That tournament sells itself.
    Posted:
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-Maryland 2429Members Posts: 2,429
    Birdie Mac wrote:

I'm a little surprised at the negative comments about the Sawgrass course or the Players tournament in general. I look forward to the Players every year. As for the 17th being tricky or gimmicky, I don't see it that way. I find it exciting. I'm on the edge of my seat when my guy is in contention and tees it up on that hole. Much like the 12th at the Masters. Speaking of which, if you're tired of the 5th major spiel, then you've really got to be tired of the 'tradition like no other' we get ad nauseum every year for the Masters. That tournament sells itself.

The difference is that the Masters actually is a "tradition like no other".
    Posted:
  • cdnglfcdnglf  3504Members Posts: 3,504

Birdie Mac wrote:

The difference is that the Masters actually is a "tradition like no other".

Ahem, “a tradition unlike any other”

McCord got fired for less!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • BNGLBNGL  1838Members Posts: 1,838
    iteachgolf wrote:

I absolutely hate how the PGA Tour is doing everything in their power to make Sawgrass soft - and even worse that some players are saying that’s a good thing. In the past month I’ve played 6 courses around Orlando / Melbourne and all of them have been extremely firm and fast.

None of them were overseeded. Not really able to get overseeded golf courses super firm and fast. It won’t be any softer or slower than Bayhill

I’ll disagree with you on this Dan. You can but to what level? People here are harkening form fast firm fast it seems but I’m not sure they know what they’re talking about.

The turf type has no bearing on firmness that is mostly soil compaction. Speed comes from a combination of compaction (maybe 12-15 percent) the rest is moisture management and reduction of friction the leaf blade.

I understand that you typically have to water more but you know as well as I that those problems that lesser courses face; manpower and time aren’t issues at this level. Example a dry spot at your local club will be watered with overheads, at TPC it’ll be watered with a hose. Saving watered and only applying it where it needs to be.
    Posted:
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140  4648Members Posts: 4,648

Rangeballz wrote:

I agree with both of these comments. The course is not a masterpiece. I wouldn't play it again if you paid me. If I hear any more adulation for either Koch's call or the high art of overseeing with rye, I'm just going to throw my TV out the window. While I prefer the March timeframe, the winds always produce a day when the whole event is reduced to a crash and burn festival. People sit on the side of the hill at 17 cheering balls that go in the water. Then we all go running for cover in a hospitality tent as a storm comes racing thru.

All of the above.
    Posted:
  • NaBUru38NaBUru38  803Members Posts: 803
    Notable players:
    • Americans: Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Justin Thomas, Bryson DeChambeau, Xander Schauffele, Rickie Fowler, Tiger Woods, Tony Finau, Patrick Reed, Bubba Watson, Patrick Cantlay, Phil Mickelson, Webb Simpson, Matt Kuchar, Gary Woodland, Jordan Spieth...
    • British & Irish: Justin Rose, Rory McIlroy, Tommy Fleetwood, Paul Casey, Ian Poulter, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Matt Wallace, Tyrrell Hatton, Eddie Pepperell, Shane Lowry, Russell Knox, Danny Willett.
    • Aus & NZ: Jason Day, Marc Leishman, Cameron Smith, Adam Scott, Danny Lee, Aaron Baddeley.
    • Continental Europeans: Francesco Molinari, Jon Rahm, Sergio García, Rafa Cabrera Bello, Alex Noren, Henrik Stenson, Thorbjorn Olesen, Lucas Bjerregaard, Martin Kaymer.
    • Canadians: Adam Hadwin, Corey Conners, Nick Taylor.
    • South Africans: Louis Oosthuizen, Branden Grace, Charl Schwartzel.
    • Asia-Pacific: Haotong Li, Kiradech Aphibarnrat, Hideki Matsuyama, Satoshi Kodaira, Byeong Hun An, Siwoo Kim, Sungjae Im, Sunghoon Kang, C.T. Pan, Anirban Lahiri, Vijay Singh.
    • Latin Americans: Abraham Ancer, Emiliano Grillo, Jhonattan Vegas.
    Posted:
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac  657Members Posts: 657
    Ok, fine. "A tradition unlike any other." lol Still, I feel like I bought the car I've always wanted, and the salesman calls me up every year to remind me what a great car it is. I get they have to promote it, but it does sell itself. Looking forward to the Players, but this year's Master should be epic.
    Posted:
  • Lagavulin62Lagavulin62  2337Members Posts: 2,337
    Well here I am. I guess it’s time to follow golf again. And why not, Spring Break, it’s raining again, it’s the Not 5th Major, and the course is the champion in all of fakery golf has to offer. And that is saying a lot considering what golf courses do to destroy natural beauty.

That aside I have just one gripe. Shorts? I know, it’s just practce. “I mean practice, we talkin bout practice, how silly is that?” I just think if the policy is long pants for the tournament, it needs to be the same the whole week. Now we know what will happen next.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct  27757Members Posts: 27,757
    wcbjr wrote:

gatorMD wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

smeal818 wrote:

Looks like Tiger will be giving it a go!

https://twitter.com/...injury-players/

D1ZGC_4XcAA_daJ.jpg

BIG CAT BIG PIMPING!

Pimping the handicap spot. What a guy...

D1dg7bXW0AYijfv.jpg
    Posted:
  • jasonfish11jasonfish11  430Members Posts: 430
    bscinstnct wrote:
    wcbjr wrote:
    gatorMD wrote:
    bscinstnct wrote:
    smeal818 wrote:
    Looks like Tiger will be giving it a go!
    https://twitter.com/...injury-players/ D1ZGC_4XcAA_daJ.jpg
    BIG CAT BIG PIMPING!
    Pimping the handicap spot. What a guy...
    D1dg7bXW0AYijfv.jpg

Super considerate of the PGA tour to reserve him a handicap spot.
    Posted:
  • CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood?  1467Members Posts: 1,467
    It's kind of hard to give Sawgrass a bad rap when so many modern courses are on tour now and can have a gimmicky feature here and there to challenge the best in the world. It's been a long while since I played it and I thought it was a good course, tough visually to get a line you felt confident in off the tee, and in many spots on the fairway, the approach was not a given even on the shorter shots. I remember many times having shots to the green somewhat blind and you are hitting to a spot behind the green and just trusting your distance.

The course, like Dye's Stadium Course, has become easier over the last decade for the guys. Maybe not overall scoring average, but the leaders are going lower. I get what others are posting about the 17th being a magnet for endless commentary and stats, but it is with good reason compared to something gimmicky like the 16th at TPC Scottsdale. The closing holes 16-18 make for great TV and pressure when the leaderboard is stacked. Any other day, the 17th hole is an easy 9i-PW for any golfer better than a 10. Put big money on the line, some wind, and watch the fireworks.

It's still not 5th major though! There is no such thing.
    Posted:
  • CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood?  1467Members Posts: 1,467
    Looks like player parking this week is going reverse alphabetical order...what a surprise.
    Posted:
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf  17008Members Posts: 17,008
    BNGL wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

I absolutely hate how the PGA Tour is doing everything in their power to make Sawgrass soft - and even worse that some players are saying that’s a good thing. In the past month I’ve played 6 courses around Orlando / Melbourne and all of them have been extremely firm and fast.

None of them were overseeded. Not really able to get overseeded golf courses super firm and fast. It won’t be any softer or slower than Bayhill

I’ll disagree with you on this Dan. You can but to what level? People here are harkening form fast firm fast it seems but I’m not sure they know what they’re talking about.

The turf type has no bearing on firmness that is mostly soil compaction. Speed comes from a combination of compaction (maybe 12-15 percent) the rest is moisture management and reduction of friction the leaf blade.

I understand that you typically have to water more but you know as well as I that those problems that lesser courses face; manpower and time aren’t issues at this level. Example a dry spot at your local club will be watered with overheads, at TPC it’ll be watered with a hose. Saving watered and only applying it where it needs to be.

Not sustainably super firm and fast I should say. I’ve been out at TPC a ton the last month, they won’t be soft or slow, but also won’t get out of hand like they did a couple years ago. I think TPC plays a lot more fair and in some ways harder, overseeded. Guys are actually spinning off the front of 3.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm  2146Members Posts: 2,146

Super considerate of the PGA tour to reserve him a handicap spot.

Think Jason Day has the one next to it?
    Posted:
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, Scotland 3099Members Posts: 3,099
    It's Tuesday and I'm already sick of "Better Than Most"
    Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • TomBomb51TomBomb51  463Members Posts: 463

Well here I am. I guess it's time to follow golf again. And why not, Spring Break, it's raining again, it's the Not 5th Major, and the course is the champion in all of fakery golf has to offer. And that is saying a lot considering what golf courses do to destroy natural beauty.

That aside I have just one gripe. Shorts? I know, it's just practce. "I mean practice, we talkin bout practice, how silly is that?" I just think if the policy is long pants for the tournament, it needs to be the same the whole week. Now we know what will happen next.

*WOOP WOOP* FUN POLICE INBOUND *WOOP WOOP*

Who sh*t in your Cheerios?
    Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 9* - Diamana DF 60s
    Taylormade M5 14* - Diamana DF 70s
    Taylormade M2 18* - Diamana DF 70s
    Mizuno 919 Tour 4-PW - S300 AMT Tour White
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50/54/58 - KBS 610
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5
    Titleist ProV 1x
    The press interviews have to be the most difficult part of the week. How does a person stay awake with the same questions.
    Posted:
  • dropkickeddropkicked Toronto 493Members Posts: 493
    gatorMD wrote:

dropkicked wrote:

I get the adoration for Tiger, but I still can’t fathom betting on him to win.
    Serious question. Do you gamble?

Big cat
    On -, @+2200 is insanity on any track.

I don’t. But I understand the long odds he is getting, I guess I could see a small amount, just in case. But there’s a reason he’s
    On -, @+2200.

def put 200 on him this week. betting on tiger is always a good bet. long live the GOAT!

So after watching the Big Cat's interview.. I doubled down! $200 @ + 2200 for the Big Cat to take this 3rd Players Championship!!!!!

61950053.jpg
    Posted:

Advertisement
    TomBomb51 wrote:

Well here I am. I guess it's time to follow golf again. And why not, Spring Break, it's raining again, it's the Not 5th Major, and the course is the champion in all of fakery golf has to offer. And that is saying a lot considering what golf courses do to destroy natural beauty.

That aside I have just one gripe. Shorts? I know, it's just practce. "I mean practice, we talkin bout practice, how silly is that?" I just think if the policy is long pants for the tournament, it needs to be the same the whole week. Now we know what will happen next.

I’m actually a grits kind of guy. On the shorts, this is one of those times the stuffly ole men are correct imo. Shorts just look tacky.
    Posted:
  • bravesgolfbravesgolf  296Members Posts: 296
    Vindog wrote:
    bravesgolf wrote:

andrieddle wrote:
    bravesgolf wrote:

MattP66 wrote:

Majors

WGC

Mini Tours

No. It's not about ranking the Tour, it's about ranking the events. I'm a big fan of the ET and generally think it's a better run tour, but compare the strength of fields of the events and you will see why people might feel that generally the PGA Tour events rank more.

The "strongest" non-major, non-WGC field on the ET for 2018 in would have ranked 16th on the PGA Tour, just below the Valspar.
    More stats. Just what we need. There's more to enjoying a tournament or whether it's even a good event than the strength of the field. It's not that simple. The US PGA claims the strongest field in golf, every year and the players always makes a similar argument. Does that make them the best tournaments? Hardly. I'd say most people on here including you would laugh at that suggestion.
    Posted:
  • dropkickeddropkicked Toronto 493Members Posts: 493

TomBomb51 wrote:

I'm actually a grits kind of guy. On the shorts, this is one of those times the stuffly ole men are correct imo. Shorts just look tacky.
    Bud, I've got 5 ft mounds of frozen ice/snow on either side of my driveway. It was -9*C this morning when I left for the office.... I can't even look at my clubs out of fear they may shatter due to temps... I'm counting down the weeks until I can get out for some wet weather play.. and I am totally not as sour as you are.. Your location says Texas!!!! WTFH, dude.. get out and play!

image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • moegolfer11moegolfer11 steal your face right off your head  2185Members Posts: 2,185
    dropkicked wrote:

gatorMD wrote:

dropkicked wrote:

I get the adoration for Tiger, but I still can’t fathom betting on him to win.
    Serious question. Do you gamble?

Big cat
    On -, @+2200 is insanity on any track.

I don’t. But I understand the long odds he is getting, I guess I could see a small amount, just in case. But there’s a reason he’s
    On -, @+2200.

def put 200 on him this week. betting on tiger is always a good bet. long live the GOAT!

So after watching the Big Cat's interview.. I doubled down! $200 @ + 2200 for the Big Cat to take this 3rd Players Championship!!!!!

61950053.jpg

Shoul've placed multiple bets on a made cut and a top 5 or top 10 finish. Not as crazy odds but definitely more realistic.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M2 10.5° Graphite Design AD-BB 7x
    Titleist 913 FD 15° Diamana 'Ahina 70x
    Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron Accra 110i
    Titleist 716 MB 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 52° 56° 60° S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx
    Scotty Cameron Newport Teryllium Sole Stamp

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.