2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

17th Hole Bay Hill

 Janice_rossi ·  
Janice_rossiJanice_rossi NY 98WRX Points: 47Handicap: 4Members Posts: 98
Joined:  in Tour Talk #1
What's the point of a 71st hole of a golf tournament being par 3 which statistically 90% of the field cannot birdie?



Bad for golf, no reason to watch the 72nd hole. Just my $.02.
Posted:
«13
3

Comments

  • ItIsJackItIsJack  82WRX Points: 14Handicap: 3Members Posts: 82
    Joined:  #2
    I agree. Tees should have been moved up for that pin
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • McCann1McCann1 Tour Player  1734WRX Points: 161Members Posts: 1,734
    Joined:  #3
    These are the best golfers in the world trying to win at Arnie’s place. It’s supposed to be tough. It’s not always about making birdies it’s about managing yourself better than the guy you’re playing with. And clearly Molinari managed himself better than anybody else today
    Posted:
    Enjoy the chase.
  • agolf1agolf1  1818WRX Points: 1,012Handicap: 9Members Posts: 1,818
    Joined:  #4
    Sorry, but what's the point of needing to have a 71st hole that yields birdies left and right?



    To me, having to make two good pars to close out a 1 shot lead going to the 71st tee is just as interesting as watching someone birdie what's essentially a par 4.5 to win.



    I get that it made it difficult for someone to chase down Molinari. But they could have made more birdies earlier in the round too.
    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve  2638WRX Points: 495Handicap: 11Members Posts: 2,638
    Joined:  #5
    The way the scoring went today, 17 was the "last" hole when chasing Molinari. If you don't birdie, it's over. Take Moliari out of the picture and the finish may have been more interesting, especially with 17 yielding some bogies.
    Posted:
    • PING G410 SFT 10.5*
    • Cobra F-Max Superlite 4h, 5h, 6h
    • Cobra F-Max Superlite 7-GW
    • Cleveland CG16 56*
    • Scotty Fastback
  • Janice_rossiJanice_rossi NY 98WRX Points: 47Handicap: 4Members Posts: 98
    Joined:  #6
    I'm not taking anything away from the field, the late Mr. Palmer or family. I'm just saying as a "Viewer" I would like to see a risk vs. reward hole. That hole clearly offered no reward
    Posted:
  • tideridertiderider  2758WRX Points: 1,759Handicap: 5ishMembers Posts: 2,758
    Joined:  #7


    What's the point of a 71st hole of a golf tournament being par 3 which statistically 90% of the field cannot birdie?



    Bad for golf, no reason to watch the 72nd hole. Just my $.02.




    what's wrong with a tough hole where par is a very good score?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Janice_rossiJanice_rossi NY 98WRX Points: 47Handicap: 4Members Posts: 98
    Joined:  #8
    tiderider wrote:



    What's the point of a 71st hole of a golf tournament being par 3 which statistically 90% of the field cannot birdie?



    Bad for golf, no reason to watch the 72nd hole. Just my $.02.




    what's wrong with a tough hole where par is a very good score?




    Nothing but as a "Viewer" once Fitzpatrick didn't eagle the 16th there was no reason to watch the next 2 holes. Bay Hill is one of my favorite tournaments to watch bc it always seems to have great endings. Not this year. And Cheers to Molinari for an fantastic round of golf!
    Posted:
  • dpattidpatti  240WRX Points: 56Members Posts: 240
    Joined:  #9
    I agree you don’t need a hole that “yields birdies left and right” but 220 w no chance of getting it close isn’t much fun to watch.
    Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 20026WRX Points: 4,002ClubWRX Posts: 20,026
    Joined:  #10
    LOL, what a bunch of nonsense.
    Posted:
  • elwhippyelwhippy  3367WRX Points: 329Members Posts: 3,367
    Joined:  #11
    It has always been a bad hole. It would play much better at 180 - 190.
    Posted:
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter  5791WRX Points: 2,569Handicap: 10.8Members Posts: 5,791
    Joined:  #12
    220 yard par 3 17th you say?



    71st hole of a tournament you say?



    http://youtu.be/QpsAPI6wf1k



    http://youtu.be/DO6qIg7aInw
    Posted:
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

    just say NO.... to practice swings
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ShilgyShilgy Phoenix 12140WRX Points: 1,230Handicap: 2.9Members Posts: 12,140
    Joined:  #13

    tiderider wrote:



    What's the point of a 71st hole of a golf tournament being par 3 which statistically 90% of the field cannot birdie?



    Bad for golf, no reason to watch the 72nd hole. Just my $.02.




    what's wrong with a tough hole where par is a very good score?




    Nothing but as a "Viewer" once Fitzpatrick didn't eagle the 16th there was no reason to watch the next 2 holes. Bay Hill is one of my favorite tournaments to watch bc it always seems to have great endings. Not this year. And Cheers to Molinari for an fantastic round of golf!
    Molinari shot 4 under on the back and Fitzpatrick even. Can't blame one hole for that.
    Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

    To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

    Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • cxxcxx  3233WRX Points: 224Members Posts: 3,233
    Joined:  #14
    That's funny, I saw many try and fail on 17 when they needed it most. That was dramatic.
    Posted:
  • toctoc  2899WRX Points: 610Members Posts: 2,899
    Joined:  #15
    If molinari was in the last group with a one shot lead coming into 17th we’d all be praising what a great hole it is not allowing a leader to coast to a win.
    Posted:
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

    The feedback system is annoying
  • Joker91Joker91 Westminster, CO 572WRX Points: 279Handicap: 8.8Members Posts: 572
    Joined:  #16
    People just gonna complain about anything
    Posted:
  • HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North Texas 6714WRX Points: 550Members Posts: 6,714
    Joined:  #17

    tiderider wrote:



    What's the point of a 71st hole of a golf tournament being par 3 which statistically 90% of the field cannot birdie?



    Bad for golf, no reason to watch the 72nd hole. Just my $.02.




    what's wrong with a tough hole where par is a very good score?




    Nothing but as a "Viewer" once Fitzpatrick didn't eagle the 16th there was no reason to watch the next 2 holes. Bay Hill is one of my favorite tournaments to watch bc it always seems to have great endings. Not this year. And Cheers to Molinari for an fantastic round of golf!




    Your view on this was created by Molinari going low early and others having to chase. Otherwise, it’s the variations in score on a hole that cause lead changes...doesn’t matter if it’s birdies vs pars, or pars vs bogies.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • tideridertiderider  2758WRX Points: 1,759Handicap: 5ishMembers Posts: 2,758
    Joined:  #18

    tiderider wrote:



    What's the point of a 71st hole of a golf tournament being par 3 which statistically 90% of the field cannot birdie?



    Bad for golf, no reason to watch the 72nd hole. Just my $.02.




    what's wrong with a tough hole where par is a very good score?




    Nothing but as a "Viewer" once Fitzpatrick didn't eagle the 16th there was no reason to watch the next 2 holes. Bay Hill is one of my favorite tournaments to watch bc it always seems to have great endings. Not this year. And Cheers to Molinari for an fantastic round of golf!




    giphy.gif
    Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area. 25238WRX Points: 2,257Handicap: 2 ManyClubWRX Posts: 25,238
    Joined:  #19
    There are professional golfers and then there are WRX'ers. While few PGA tour players could birdie that hole, most on GolfWRX would have taken a 7 iron, hit a 8.327 yard cut and ended up within 3 feet of the hole. The average score for the PGA players would be around 3.5 but the average score of the WRX'ers would be around 1.75 as many would ace the tee shot and the remainder would make birdie.



    It's really not that hard of a hole.



    Signed...



    A delusional WRX'er.
    Posted:
  • tideridertiderider  2758WRX Points: 1,759Handicap: 5ishMembers Posts: 2,758
    Joined:  #20
    DavePelz4 wrote:


    There are professional golfers and then there are WRX'ers. While few PGA tour players could birdie that hole, most on GolfWRX would have taken a 7 iron, hit a 8.327 yard cut and ended up within 3 feet of the hole. The average score for the PGA players would be around 3.5 but the average score of the WRX'ers would be around 1.75 as many would ace the tee shot and the remainder would make birdie.



    It's really not that hard of a hole.



    Signed...



    A delusional WRX'er.




    i'll be honest here ... i'd probably miss the putt ...
    Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 20026WRX Points: 4,002ClubWRX Posts: 20,026
    Joined:  #21


    220 yard par 3 17th you say?



    71st hole of a tournament you say?



    [media=]



    [media=]




    Awesome, and embarrassed I didn't think of that for all the reasons it figured in Jack's history there!
    Posted:
  • Poor PosturePoor Posture  399WRX Points: 99Members Posts: 399
    Joined:  #22
    Once Molinari was in the clubhouse, they should have moved the pin on 17 to make sure it was more interesting....
    Posted:
    Bigmean, on 08 September 2015 - 07:21 PM, said: "I know it is really frowned upon here, but hitting the club somewhere near the middle is generally the greatest tech advancement you can put in your bag."

    Titleist 917d2
    Titleist 917f 15*
    Taylormade V-steel 21* 7w
    4-P Mizuno MMC
    Edel 52*
    PXG 56*
    Byron dh89 raw
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 29718WRX Points: 6,167Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 29,718
    Joined:  #23
    Good grief. Enough with this “ let’s make it easier “ crap.
    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever Cooper, this is no time for caution. PA 410WRX Points: 347Members Posts: 410
    Joined:  #24


    220 yard par 3 17th you say?



    71st hole of a tournament you say?



    [media=]



    [media=]




    QED
    Posted:
  • the bishopthe bishop  3711WRX Points: 626Members Posts: 3,711
    Joined:  #25
    What course makes the 17th hole a par 3 anyway? Oh wait....most of them. Nothing says they've got to be easy.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 10*
    Ping G400 14.5*
    W/S C300 20*/23*
    W/S C300 Forged 4-P
    W/S PMP 50/54/58
    TM Ardmore 3
  • AppAlumAppAlum  799WRX Points: 145Members Posts: 799
    Joined:  #26
    toc wrote:


    If molinari was in the last group with a one shot lead coming into 17th we’d all be praising what a great hole it is not allowing a leader to coast to a win.




    This.
    Posted:
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984  5776WRX Points: 1,228Handicap: 3Members Posts: 5,776
    Joined:  #27
    Agreed!! Let's dig up 17 and start all over again!!



    ***SARCASM***
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ctsgolfctsgolf  186WRX Points: 143Handicap: 5Members Posts: 186
    Joined:  #28
    The perpetually outraged.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M1  Speeder 661 Evo
    Ping G  Aldila NV 75s
    Titleist T-MB 20°  DG S400
    Titleist 695CB  DG S300 (4-PW)
    Callaway MD Forged  Recoil 125 F4
    Miura  KM-006  

  • rangersgoalierangersgoalie  1913WRX Points: 368Members Posts: 1,913
    Joined:  #29
    Was too late bringing the example of the “easy” 17th at Pebble image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm  2418WRX Points: 815Members Posts: 2,418
    Joined:  edited Mar 11, 2019 #30
    Awww poor babies...viewers who want birdies and pros making millions need a nice easy 72nd hole?



    The 17th at TPC Sawgrass is even worse - a joke gimmick of a hole made for drinking and hollering spectators.



    The course was hard this weekend, end of story. They tucked the pins in places that made me cringe but it was AWESOME seeing professionals try to attack them.



    The best player always wins! It actually was almost really close. Cabrera could have birdied 2 of the 3 last holes and tied for the lead for a playoff but he didnt. Heck, Rory had a chance too as he was -8 through 13 but he crapped the bed as well.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C  1579WRX Points: 1,023Handicap: +54ClubWRX Posts: 1,579
    Joined:  #31
    Some people can birdie it







    -Chris
    Posted:
    Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
    Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
    dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape
3

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.