GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

How coming from money helps guys reach the tour..

1246710
10

Comments

  • EddieEdwardsEddieEdwards Members  369WRX Points: 79Posts: 369 Greens
    Joined:  #92
    Poor people aren't exposed to golf. Growing up, my parents didn't play, thier freinds didn't play, my friends didn't play and we didn't live near a course. I didn't play until my mid 20's. <br />
    <br />
    However, if I was exposed as a kid I could have come up with annual membership for the closest muni, rode my bike up there with friends,and played all summer, with found balls and tees.<br />
    <br />
    Instead we played baseball.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members  6787WRX Points: 1,891Posts: 6,787 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #93
    Holy Moses wrote:
    <br />
    It does make it easier. Maverick McNealy's parents only helped him during his first season on the Web.com Tour, then he had to pay for everything himself. Tiger didn't come from money. Who knows what would have happened in Tiger's junior days had IMG not paid Early $50k a year as an advisor - money that helped Tiger get around on the junior circuits. Tiger's lack of money did fuel his intensity. He wanted to crush Trip Kuehne in the US Amateur finals because Trip came from money and Tiger wanted to show the world that a guy from average means could compete at the highest level. So money can definitely help, but lack of money can also fuel the desire to win that might not be there for someone who has all the money in the world.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    you think Tiger wanted to beat Kuehne because his family had money?? it seems you dont know tiger.He wanted to beat anyone and everyone because he wanted to be the best not just for a week or month but forever.Guy was and is driven/obsessed with success in golf. Wants all the records always has always will.
    Posted:
  • AppAlumAppAlum Members  799WRX Points: 145Posts: 799 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #94
    <br />
    AppAlum wrote:
    <br />
    Golf is the one sport where 90% of the kids getting college scholarships are the ones who need it the least. <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I wasn't aware that need had anything to do with sports scholarships.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Didn’t say it did. Just the reality of it.
    Posted:
  • SkhackerSkhacker The Minimalist Golfer Members  1712WRX Points: 231Handicap: 6Posts: 1,712 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #95
    Coming from money generally helps make everything a little easier. It's the people that use that leg up to succeed on their own that really make a go of it.
    Posted:
  • chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members  1325WRX Points: 356Posts: 1,325 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #96
    <br />
    Poor people aren't exposed to golf. Growing up, my parents didn't play, thier freinds didn't play, my friends didn't play and we didn't live near a course. I didn't play until my mid 20's. <br />
    <br />
    However, if I was exposed as a kid I could have come up with annual membership for the closest muni, rode my bike up there with friends,and played all summer, with found balls and tees.<br />
    <br />
    Instead we played baseball.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I see this is a different aspect of the money question. No doubt this is a factor but I think the difference is if you were pro level in baseball, you really don't need money to get started. You would get drafted and start in the minor leagues and it doesn't matter at that point if the guy playing 1st base next to you has 100x more family money than you.<br />
    <br />
    It's completely different in golf where you need to essentially fund yourself, at least until you can prove yourself to the point of getting some endorsement contracts.
    Posted:
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members  11091WRX Points: 867Posts: 11,091 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #97
    lowheel wrote:
    <br />
    Holy Moses wrote:
    <br />
    It does make it easier. Maverick McNealy's parents only helped him during his first season on the Web.com Tour, then he had to pay for everything himself. Tiger didn't come from money. Who knows what would have happened in Tiger's junior days had IMG not paid Early $50k a year as an advisor - money that helped Tiger get around on the junior circuits. Tiger's lack of money did fuel his intensity. He wanted to crush Trip Kuehne in the US Amateur finals because Trip came from money and Tiger wanted to show the world that a guy from average means could compete at the highest level. So money can definitely help, but lack of money can also fuel the desire to win that might not be there for someone who has all the money in the world.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    you think Tiger wanted to beat Kuehne because his family had money?? it seems you dont know tiger.He wanted to beat anyone and everyone because he wanted to be the best not just for a week or month but forever.Guy was and is driven/obsessed with success in golf. Wants all the records always has always will.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Yes, Tiger wanted to beat everyone. But there was extra incentive to beat Trip because Tiger and Earl felt insulted during a visit to Trip's practice facilities before the tournament. According to Benedict and Keteyian's book, Tiger thought of Trip more as an enemy than an opponent.
    Posted:
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 14.5* (Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 X)
    Ping G400 Crossover 19* (Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S)
    Ping i20 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers  12612WRX Points: 1,616Handicap: 3.8Posts: 12,612 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #98
    3whacker wrote:
    <br />
    look at the Korda sisters, Dad won a Grand Slam event in Tennis, I would guess by looking at their golf swings, both had excellent instruction at an early age, little brother looks like he might end up being a world class tennis player too...good gene pool helps too<br />
    No question having the financial resources to pay for early training helps, a lot. But you don't have two daughters reach the top echelon of their sport because of money access. To reach that level involves a drive and resolve to excel.
    Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!


  • tideridertiderider Members  3076WRX Points: 2,108Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,076 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Mar 11, 2019 #99
    money may not necessarily help, but it has never hurt ... in any situation ... ever ...
    Posted:
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members  1729WRX Points: 382Posts: 1,729 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #100
    DavePelz4 wrote:
    <br />
    Travel hockey parents would like you to consider their investment.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Amen!!! I pretty much stopped playing because my son plays on a travel AA national team. Good year. Won his division playoffs and state playoffs. Now off to Nationals. MD to CA. But **** it's expensive. And stinky!!
    Posted:
  • FadeFade Members  1379WRX Points: 266Posts: 1,379 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #101
    Player A wins the talent lottery. Player B wins the parent lottery. Should I care which one gets to play golf for a living?
    Posted:
  • NokeNoke Unregistered  2239WRX Points: 299Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #102
    Let’s not forget that there are way more people of modest income in the world than rich folk. Might be why it’s easier to come up with examples of pro golfers who didn’t grow up wealthy.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members  5341WRX Points: 201Handicap: ?Posts: 5,341 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #103
    For those of you just joining our program.....I can sum up.<br />
    <br />
    Having money is better than not having money.<br />
    <br />
    The End. <br />
    <br />
    Posted:
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29829WRX Points: 2,815Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,829 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #104
    <br />
    For those of you just joining our program.....I can sum up.<br />
    <br />
    Having money is better than not having money.<br />
    <br />
    The End. <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    LOL i was basically coming in to post that....<br />
    <br />
    Every sport it's advantageous. Hockey costs a lot, soccer costs a lot....Parents have to put up a lot of money to travel to tournaments, buy equipment etc. Some sports like soccer, equipment isn't crazy pricey, but travelling is. <br />
    <br />
    The biggest difference with golf is when you are finally at lower stage pro level. Football, Basketball, Hockey, baseball....etc. Pay isn't great but at least you know what it is. Golf you can literally make nothing. Playing pro can cost you money actually.....playing minor league in something else, maybe it's 40k but you're getting paid at least<br />
    <br />
    I'd bet guys on the bubble are more likely to quit golf than say, basketball.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Cobra F9 FW w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Proto Hybrid
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-Works Red Tank #7
  • Broessner71Broessner71 Members  106WRX Points: 35Handicap: 8Posts: 106 Fairways
    Joined:  #105
    Definitely helps to provide for opportunities that many never get
    Posted:
  • CrazyCoolieCrazyCoolie Members  48WRX Points: 18Posts: 48 Bunkers
    Joined:  #106
    gvogel wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    J2putts wrote:
    <br />
    Rosco1216 wrote:
    <br />
    A child/kid//teenager who is fortunate enough to have access to world class instructors(not just your local driving range pro) and top of the line facilities throughout their childhood is certainly more likely to reach their full golf potential VS. one who does not have any of that.<br />
    Exactly . Uihlein grew up in my town . He moved to Florida with his mother to specifically focus on golf and went to some world class golf academy<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    IMG Baby!!! Because of him we all got these really nice Titleist Shag Bags, filled with Prov1s. I still have mine, it is epic<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Acushnet Baby?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Yes and thank you to Mr. Uihlein who was the CEO. But in actuality and as has been proven, Peter is an amazing golfer. Did his family’s resources help him in realizing his immense talent, of course. But all the money in the world will not create talent. It is one of those things that you are born with.
    Posted:
  • AbuTheMonkeyAbuTheMonkey Members  10WRX Points: 8Posts: 10 Bunkers
    Joined:  edited Mar 11, 2019 #107
    J2putts wrote:
    <br />
    Been thinking about this . Out of all the sports i watch , golf is the only sport to me where it is equally important to have the financial resources as it is to have the talent . Right off the bat guys like Peter Uihlein and Mav McNealy come to mind. These guys had unlimited financial resources and even more important no worries about money as they made their ways up the level of tours. YouTube is chock full of guys with serious game , but lack of resources which basically puts extreme pressure on guys like that as opposed to other kids like Uihlein , McNealy ...and now following George Gankas who teaches kids who come from serious money like Tristan Gretzky. So generally speaking , I know there are guys who didn't come from money ...but generally speaking is it more important to have the deep pockets or the deep talent ? Just seems like a player with superior talent might lose out on opportunities to that of a player with good talent , and unlimited funds.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I think if there was some sort of detailed predictor analysis or something of that sort, then I think what is, by far, the biggest predictor of high level golf success would be whether or not the person grew up around the game. I would define that as:<br />
    <br />
    - Son, brother, nephew, or grandson of a teaching pro or someone professionally involved in the golf industry<br />
    <br />
    That's a solid (but demanding) life, but I wouldn't say that's "coming from money". Just looking at the current tour and thinking back on the guys I played with and grew up with who made it pretty far in the game (high level D1, mini tours, Nationwide, PGA), I'd bet at least half had a family member who was professional in the industry in some way, mostly teaching/club pros.<br />
    <br />
    Just take a look at the top of the OWGR right now:<br />
    <br />
    - Johnson: son of a former club pro<br />
    - Rose: dad wasn't officially a professional but knew the sport well enough to coach Justin for a couple of decades (middle to working class)<br />
    - Koepka: dad worked at a course for a while (owned by Brooks' great-uncle)<br />
    - Thomas: son of a club pro<br />
    - McIlroy: working class with no professional involvement but dad was a very good player<br />
    - Molinari: parents not involved in the sport but fairly well off (dentist and architect)<br />
    - Dechambeau: fairly middle/working class but no professional golf connection<br />
    - Schauffele: fairly middle/working class, but no professional family connection to the sport<br />
    - Fowler: fairly middle/working class, but no professional family connection to the sport<br />
    <br />
    Actually, another thing that stands out: a lot of these guys had parents that played sports (typically not golf) at a fairly high level themselves - high level collegiate/amateur or lower level pro.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • tideridertiderider Members  3076WRX Points: 2,108Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,076 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #108
    lowheel wrote:
    <br />
    Holy Moses wrote:
    <br />
    It does make it easier. Maverick McNealy's parents only helped him during his first season on the Web.com Tour, then he had to pay for everything himself. Tiger didn't come from money. Who knows what would have happened in Tiger's junior days had IMG not paid Early $50k a year as an advisor - money that helped Tiger get around on the junior circuits. Tiger's lack of money did fuel his intensity. He wanted to crush Trip Kuehne in the US Amateur finals because Trip came from money and Tiger wanted to show the world that a guy from average means could compete at the highest level. So money can definitely help, but lack of money can also fuel the desire to win that might not be there for someone who has all the money in the world.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    you think Tiger wanted to beat Kuehne because his family had money?? it seems you dont know tiger.He wanted to beat anyone and everyone because he wanted to be the best not just for a week or month but forever.Guy was and is driven/obsessed with success in golf. Wants all the records always has always will.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    yeah, that's a load of succotash ... money/opponent's money didn't have anything to do with tiger's intensity/desire ...
    Posted:
  • Oliver KlozoffOliver Klozoff Members  278WRX Points: 118Posts: 278 Greens
    Joined:  #109
    money helps. but only if you have the drive. often the richer kids lack the drive needed to go all out. they think they have it. but when things aren't going well they have a safety net of good jobs waiting for them. the kids with less will fight through it more. that goes for pretty much all careers.
    Posted:
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members  29132WRX Points: 5,958Posts: 29,132 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #110
    tiderider wrote:
    <br />
    money may not necessarily help, but it has never hurt ... in any situation ... ever ...<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    In athletics<br />
    <br />
    Im sure too much money has killed some potential great careers.<br />
    <br />
    Posted:
  • AC168AC168 Members  864WRX Points: 110Handicap: 2Posts: 864 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #111
    There are many pieces and many ways, but money addresses a lot of issues. And by money, I mean fairly high income / infrastructure— more than what many doctors are willing or able to spend on kids. (There are other ways / resources and there’s always fate, but money cures ills but probably doesn’t raise the dead.
    Posted:
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members  6787WRX Points: 1,891Posts: 6,787 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Mar 12, 2019 #112
    Holy Moses wrote:
    <br />
    lowheel wrote:
    <br />
    Holy Moses wrote:
    <br />
    It does make it easier. Maverick McNealy's parents only helped him during his first season on the Web.com Tour, then he had to pay for everything himself. Tiger didn't come from money. Who knows what would have happened in Tiger's junior days had IMG not paid Early $50k a year as an advisor - money that helped Tiger get around on the junior circuits. Tiger's lack of money did fuel his intensity. He wanted to crush Trip Kuehne in the US Amateur finals because Trip came from money and Tiger wanted to show the world that a guy from average means could compete at the highest level. So money can definitely help, but lack of money can also fuel the desire to win that might not be there for someone who has all the money in the world.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    you think Tiger wanted to beat Kuehne because his family had money?? it seems you dont know tiger.He wanted to beat anyone and everyone because he wanted to be the best not just for a week or month but forever.Guy was and is driven/obsessed with success in golf. Wants all the records always has always will.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Yes, Tiger wanted to beat everyone. But there was extra incentive to beat Trip because Tiger and Earl felt insulted during a visit to Trip's practice facilities before the tournament. According to Benedict and Keteyian's book, Tiger thought of Trip more as an enemy than an opponent.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    He did this with everyone. Hated Steve Scott equally because of his girlfriend/wife.A very self motivated individual who would say anything to himself to fire himself up. make no misatke this incarnation of tiger is different because hes not the same player and hasnt been for well over 10 years.He knows this and realizes he cant be a dick now 24/7. That attitude drove him to those heights make no mistake.Just like like Michael jordan before him he was always me against the world.Do anything and everything to win. Scott and Kuehne gave him everything he can handle in both finals FYI but Tiger outlasted them mentally
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers  4608WRX Points: 1,629Posts: 4,608 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #113
    lowheel wrote:
    <br />
    Holy Moses wrote:
    <br />
    lowheel wrote:
    <br />
    Holy Moses wrote:
    <br />
    It does make it easier. Maverick McNealy's parents only helped him during his first season on the Web.com Tour, then he had to pay for everything himself. Tiger didn't come from money. Who knows what would have happened in Tiger's junior days had IMG not paid Early $50k a year as an advisor - money that helped Tiger get around on the junior circuits. Tiger's lack of money did fuel his intensity. He wanted to crush Trip Kuehne in the US Amateur finals because Trip came from money and Tiger wanted to show the world that a guy from average means could compete at the highest level. So money can definitely help, but lack of money can also fuel the desire to win that might not be there for someone who has all the money in the world.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    you think Tiger wanted to beat Kuehne because his family had money?? it seems you dont know tiger.He wanted to beat anyone and everyone because he wanted to be the best not just for a week or month but forever.Guy was and is driven/obsessed with success in golf. Wants all the records always has always will.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Yes, Tiger wanted to beat everyone. But there was extra incentive to beat Trip because Tiger and Earl felt insulted during a visit to Trip's practice facilities before the tournament. According to Benedict and Keteyian's book, Tiger thought of Trip more as an enemy than an opponent.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    He did this with everyone. Hated Steve Scott equally because of his girlfriend/wife.A very self motivated individual who would say anything to himself to fire himself up. make no misatke this incarnation of tiger is different because hes not the same player and hasnt been for well over 10 years.He knows this and realizes he cant be a dick now 24/7. That attitude drove him to those heights make no mistake.Just like like Michael jordan before him he was always me against the world.Do anything and everything to win. Scott and Kuehne gave him everything he can handle in both finals FYI but Tiger outlasted them mentally<br />
    Low did Tiger really think of Trip as an "actual" enemy? Tiger was supposed to have been friends with the Kuehne family back then. Enough of friends that Tiger and Kelli were partners in the old JCPenney Classic when Tiger turned pro in 1996.
    Posted:
  • J2puttsJ2putts Members  638WRX Points: 85Handicap: 6.6Posts: 638 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #114
    Obviously money helps in every sport. People are missing my point though . What other sport is like golf in the sense that the player pays for travel, pays for lodging , and stands to make no money if they dont play well . That was my point... it's a massive advantage to not have the worry about having the funds to play the next tournament....and seems like the few people here who chimed in that have actually had a go at it agree.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Driver 9.0 PX Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
    Cobra F9 3W 13.5 Atmos Blue stiff
    Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5
    TM Gapr Mid 22.5
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC 5 thru 7 iron
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 8 thru PW ( irons all PX LZ 6.0 120G )
    Callaway MD3 50 S Grind
    Callaway MD4 54 S Grind
    Callaway MD4 58 W Grind
    Oddysey O Works Jailbird Mini

    Snell MTB-X
  • Cornwall1888Cornwall1888 Members  190WRX Points: 63Handicap: 9Posts: 190 Fairways
    Joined:  #115
    Bingo1976 wrote:
    <br />
    J2putts wrote:
    <br />
    DavePelz4 wrote:
    <br />
    Travel hockey parents would like you to consider their investment.<br />
    I thought of hockey after my initial post ...<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Formula 1 and other forms of motorsport make golf pale into insignificance.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    The guy in charge of team Mercedes toto Wolff said you’ll probably need to invest $8m in yourself to become a formula one driver. $1m of that carting when you’re a kid/teenager then into gp2 gp3 formula 3...<br />
    <br />
    You either need to be rich or have a finanobacker
    Posted:
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed MichiganClubWRX  3927WRX Points: 561Posts: 3,927 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #116
    Like most everything it's likely a combination of talent, the desire to develop that talent, and the willingness to make some personal sacrifice in order to do what it takes to succeed.<br />
    <br />
    As far as not having to worry about money.....<br />
    <br />
    That's good. One less thing.
    Posted:
  • JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever The bearer of unconditional things PAMembers  478WRX Points: 415Posts: 478 Greens
    Joined:  #117
    J2putts wrote:
    <br />
    Obviously money helps in every sport. People are missing my point though . What other sport is like golf in the sense that the player pays for travel, pays for lodging , and stands to make no money if they dont play well . That was my point... it's a massive advantage to not have the worry about having the funds to play the next tournament....and seems like the few people here who chimed in that have actually had a go at it agree.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Tennis is another sport, but I think I understand your point. I'm just confused about whether you have a remedy or if this is just a bit of tilting at windmills?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members  5341WRX Points: 201Handicap: ?Posts: 5,341 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #118
    <br />
    J2putts wrote:
    <br />
    Obviously money helps in every sport. People are missing my point though . What other sport is like golf in the sense that the player pays for travel, pays for lodging , and stands to make no money if they dont play well . That was my point... it's a massive advantage to not have the worry about having the funds to play the next tournament....and seems like the few people here who chimed in that have actually had a go at it agree.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Tennis is another sport, but I think I understand your point. I'm just confused about whether you have a remedy or if this is just a bit of tilting at windmills?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I don't think there is ever going to be a remedy to golf being expensive. More foundations being established to expose kids with lesser means helps....Tiger's Foundation apparently does a lot of really good things. <br />
    <br />
    As a practical matter I think you can point to the elimination of caddies at most clubs as having a detrimental effect on the exposure of golf to those who have less money.<br />
    <br />
    How many of the greats of the past started off carrying bags at some golf club? I only know of two clubs within 100 miles of where I live that have caddies and in the past 20 years of playing courses that did have caddies.....I don't recall seeing anyone under the age of 25 carrying a bag.
    Posted:
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • kg92leftykg92lefty Members  2345WRX Points: 146Handicap: +2.5Posts: 2,345 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #119
    Sam Saunders is only on tour because of Arnold. There are lots of guys that if you gave 10-12 starts a year would be able to keep a card. Problem is getting that chance.
    Posted:
10

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.