ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Any opinions on the worm cam view of putts?

DeeBee30DeeBee30 Advanced Members Posts: 275 ✭✭
I find that I really enjoy and prefer the “worm cam” view of putts from behind the player and low to the ground. When the camera is in line with the putting line, you really have a better sense of the break as opposed to the tower view where they show the player and hole, then zoom in on the ball as it nears the hole.

I understand that getting those shots means the camera man has to move around the green, but I think it makes for a great TV and would be worth the effort, at least on holes where they have a handheld camera.

Any other opinions on this, as well as the practicality of it?

Couple of woods
OG Rescue club
Some irons
Fistful of wedges
Flat stick
Some balls
Shop Pride Evolution Striped Plastic 2-3/4" tees
Kapalua Color Magic Minuteman repair tool
2001 & 2003 state quarter ball markers

Comments

• collindm1collindm1 Members Posts: 54
    I absolutely love it - wish they would do that for every player they show at least once or twice in the round.
  • JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever Advanced Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    In terms of logistics, I've three ideas, from most plausible to least:

I think they could experiment with a drone cam. Land the drone off the green behind the ball in line with the cup and film away. They'll need landing gear that'll keep the drone about a foot off the ground and a special gyroscopic mount that'll level the camera, but it could work.

OR

What about a pop-up camera in the hole that films the putt as it approaches the hole? It could fit in the pin mount and be programmed to retract as the ball enters the cup zone or stay up to act like a pin, whichever the player prefers.

OR

Have the players use a special ball with a camera mounted on top of the ball with opposite polarized magnets so that the camera mount floats over the ball, like BB-8 in Star Wars. This idea needs a little more work.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,214 ✭✭
    Lol
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
    Ping i500 pre-production proto 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105X
    Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • wcbjrwcbjr Advanced Members Posts: 2,772 ✭✭

giphy.gif
  • HoosierMizunoHoosierMizuno Advanced Members Posts: 3,316 ✭✭
    give me any camera angle on the greens other than the top down tower view where the camera man zooms in on the ball as it approaches the hole. i'd prefer a stationary camera from the gallery. no zoom, just a view of the entire green, the players and caddies on the green, and the fans in the backdrop.

its one of my biggest complaints about tv coverage. in my opinion, less is more. stop zooming
    [font=georgia,serif]Ping G400 Max 10.5 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
    TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
    Cobra F8 19*
    J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
    [/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58[/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" [/font]
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Advanced Members Posts: 1,537 ✭✭
    Winter really needs to end.....
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,330 ClubWRX
    wcbjr wrote:

giphy.gif

Tell us how you really feel!��
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Advanced Members Posts: 4,181 ✭✭
    My favorite camera shot in a golf tournament.

giphy.gif
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Advanced Members Posts: 9,686 ✭✭

My favorite camera shot in a golf tournament.

giphy.gif
    ouch !
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Advanced Members Posts: 1,260 ✭✭
    As has been said, basically anything but the tower view that they zoom in on the ball giving little to no perspective to break is great. I like the worm cam, but the opposite side of the hole view is actually better, for me. You can see more of the stroke and watch the ball do its thing.
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM5, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 Advanced Members Posts: 4,914 ✭✭
    Love it.
  • Mr. HoganMr. Hogan Advanced Members Posts: 1,225 ✭✭
    I'm thinking they should ring the greens with dozens of cameras so they can give us a Matrix-style 360 view while the putt is on the way to the hole.
    USGA - Unusually Stupid Governance Association
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976 Advanced Members Posts: 2,477
    Mr. Hogan wrote:

I'm thinking they should ring the greens with dozens of cameras so they can give us a Matrix-style 360 view while the putt is on the way to the hole.

I think with AI and some of the processing technologies, this may be doable without the dozens of cameras. It may not work in real time, but a slightly delayed hawkeye view should be possible. I can foresee in a few years time the ability to choose your viewing angle.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Advanced Members Posts: 3,468 ✭✭
    I’m suggesting we go with embedded microchips within each ball that contains a camera. This would give new meaning to the phrase “be the ball” cuz not just for putts, but on drives and approach shots, you could literally feel like you are the ball.
    http://www.pgatour.com/video/2018/02/11/larry-fitzgerald-s-long-birdie-putt-on-no--13-at-at-t-pebble-bea.html

good thing the camera zoomed or i'm not sure i'd be able to tell if the ball went in the hole ...ha

what was the caddy's reaction? larry's reaction? the fans? all eliminated when they zoom on a putt
    Cobra F8 19*
    J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
    [/font]
  • rawdograwdog Advanced Members Posts: 3,005 ✭✭

http://www.pgatour.c...pebble-bea.html

good thing the camera zoomed or i'm not sure i'd be able to tell if the ball went in the hole ...ha

what was the caddy's reaction? larry Fitzgerald's reaction? the fans? all eliminated when they zoom on a putt

Added some clarification for others who were worried you subjected them to a Larry the Cable Guy putt.
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Aldila Rogue Black, 9.5* @44.5"
    In1Zone Single Length Fairway Woods

Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 5W = 19*
    Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 7W = 23*
    Cobra F7 One Length Irons
    Nippon Modus 105 Stiff @ 36.5"
    6I = 24* 7I = 29* 8I = 34* 9I = 39* PW = 44* GW = 49* SW = 54* LW = 59*
    Odyssey #9 HT Metal X Milled @33.5"
    Maxfli SoftFli
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Advanced Members Posts: 4,678 ✭✭

Winter really needs to end.....

Winter is coming...should be here April 14th!!
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
    another example but the producer at least quickly cuts back to tiger's reaction...most of the the time its few seconds after the initial reaction.

but why cameramen feel the need to zoom in on putts? do viewers like this? am i wrong to want the view that doesn't eliminate player, caddy, and fans reaction?

imagine a buzzer beater in march madness and all we get is a zoomed in shot of the ball going in the hoop. no fans, no players, no sidelines...better yet, imagine if every shot that went up in basketball the cameraman tried to zoom in on the ball. i just don't get it... . and yes....hurry up spring.

Cobra F8 19*
    J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
    [/font]
  • kyleluteskylelutes Members Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Love the worm cam.
  • Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Advanced Members Posts: 1,889
    I’m in the stop zooming camp. I think it’s most distracting when you only see the face of the one being interviewed. I think most prefer to see two people in an interview. Closeups have a way of making one feel they are missing something. It’s the broadcasters saying this is the only thing worth watching.
  • DeeBee30DeeBee30 Advanced Members Posts: 275 ✭✭

Have the players use a special ball with a camera mounted on top of the ball with opposite polarized magnets so that the camera mount floats over the ball, like BB-8 in Star Wars. This idea needs a little more work.

Yeah, THIS is the idea that needs a little work. Pop-up holecam, no problem. I like your creativity, though.
    Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls
  • DeeBee30DeeBee30 Advanced Members Posts: 275 ✭✭

another example but the producer at least quickly cuts back to tiger's reaction...most of the the time its few seconds after the initial reaction.

but why cameramen feel the need to zoom in on putts? do viewers like this? am i wrong to want the view that doesn't eliminate player, caddy, and fans reaction?

imagine a buzzer beater in march madness and all we get is a zoomed in shot of the ball going in the hoop. no fans, no players, no sidelines...better yet, imagine if every shot that went up in basketball the cameraman tried to zoom in on the ball. i just don't get it... . and yes....hurry up spring.

[media=]

Totally agree with all of this, as well as the post about showing the worm-cam view from opposite the player. It's as if people who produce golf on TV don't ever WATCH golf on TV. Showing the player//caddie/fan reaction makes it feel more like you're there. They'll show it on replay sometimes where they have eleventy-seven cameras set up, including the blimp, but they really should show (1) putt inline, then (2) immediately cut to the best wide camera view of player and caddie, with the crowd in the background.
    Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls

I'm in the stop zooming camp. I think it's most distracting when you only see the face of the one being interviewed. I think most prefer to see two people in an interview. Closeups have a way of making one feel they are missing something. It's the broadcasters saying this is the only thing worth watching.

As the No Laying Up guys regularly say, the producers are the "Keepers of the Take". They show you what they want to show you, what they think is interesting, and what they deem as important. There have been several events where they hardly show any shots outside of the last group, even if the winner isn't coming from that group. Until people become vocal enough and ratings take a big enough hit, nothing is going to change.
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Advanced Members Posts: 856 ✭✭
    Konica Minolta Swing Vision for putts. With shot tracer. For putts.
  • Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Advanced Members Posts: 1,889

I'm in the stop zooming camp. I think it's most distracting when you only see the face of the one being interviewed. I think most prefer to see two people in an interview. Closeups have a way of making one feel they are missing something. It's the broadcasters saying this is the only thing worth watching.

As the No Laying Up guys regularly say, the producers are the "Keepers of the Take". They show you what they want to show you, what they think is interesting, and what they deem as important. There have been several events where they hardly show any shots outside of the last group, even if the winner isn't coming from that group. Until people become vocal enough and ratings take a big enough hit, nothing is going to change.

Well said.

Well said.

who's patting these producers backs and telling them great job while the rest of the golfing world is complaining about how awful golf's tv coverage is?
    Cobra F8 19*
    J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
    [/font]
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Advanced Members Posts: 11,364 ✭✭
    The worst part of golf:

1. Over-excited announcers .. ie Dan Hicks and Jimmy Roberts

2. Showing us leaders tap in 18" putts

SHOW US MORE SHOTS FROM MORE OF THE FIELD

This happens at Augusta every year. Somebody is out front gets near the lead and you've seen not a single shot from them all day, but lets show the leaders walking to the tee ..arggghhhh
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Zing 2 BeCu s2 54.5* & s3 57.5*
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)

Well said.

who's patting these producers backs and telling them great job while the rest of the golfing world is complaining about how awful golf's tv coverage is?

Ratings don't really drop much, at least what I have seen in a quick search. Because they don't they get the feeling that what they are doing is working. Also, we at WRX, are far from the average viewer of golf tournaments. Most people watching know only the big names or guys that have some story that can be told, beyond that they are "just another golfer".

It would certainly be interesting to hear why we are shown 18" putts, limited players, etc. for most of events. Getting to see far more where the guys are hitting shots from anywhere but off the tee and on or around the greens would be wonderful. I get that, that means you have to have more cameras and more people to operate them, which costs money, but it gives a better product, IMHO.

• nohny nokenohny noke Advanced Members Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    How do they get the camera to stay on the worm? Them things be slimy.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,330 ClubWRX
    Love it. Really shows the quality of thengreens too.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62