ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Any Thoughts on the New GOLF Magazine Format?

JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever Advanced Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
For those of you who still get the print editions of GOLF and Golf Digest, what do you think of the new format for GOLF?

At first, I thought that it was purely a superficial change, but over the last couple of months, I've come to realize that they really are serious about improving the magazine from top to bottom. It is a slick package overflowing with content. I don't know if print editions will ever return in popularity, but +1 to GOLF for trying.

Comments

• nosedive32nosedive32 Advanced Members Posts: 281 ✭✭
    I get multiple copies a month because of stuff I've ordered from places and I never read any of them ever image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />
    Tommy Armour TA1 10.5 set to 8.5 Kurokage Silver 50
    Titleist 917 F2 13.5 Diamana Blue 70
    Adams Super LS 17 Matrix Kujoh 75
    Ben Hogan PTX 20-44 KBS Tour 90
    Ben Hogan TK 49
    Titleist SM7 54-14 F Grind
    Titleist SM6 58-12 K Grind
    Ping Anser 0 Milled 33.75
    Titleist AVX
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Advanced Members Posts: 1,467 ✭✭
    I just received both Golf and Golf Digest and while I applaud Golf for trying to upscale the visuals I was always fine with the old layout. With so much excellent free golf content on the Web I wonder where both will be 20 years from now.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,330 ClubWRX
    I set them in the bathroom with plans to read. But end up getting all my golf information from here.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • caniac6caniac6 Advanced Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭
    I like it. Big upgrade from the old format.
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Advanced Members Posts: 5,079 ✭✭
    caniac6 wrote:
    I like it. Big upgrade from the old format.

This^
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23,27 Hybrid
    Ping Iblade 6-PW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag
  • GolfNuts4GolfNuts4 Advanced Members Posts: 695 ✭✭
    I like it too, feels like a quality upgrade.
    Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
    Callaway Big Bertha (2004) 5 wood
    Ping G30 4 Hybrid
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Irons 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey Wedges 56/60
    Scotty Cameron Monterey
  • PingfitzPingfitz Advanced Members Posts: 746 ✭✭
    It's really nice, an improvement, but I have liked it for years, loved the instruction in the back.
  • JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever Advanced Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    GolfNuts4 wrote:

I like it too, feels like a quality upgrade.

I agree. Everything about it feels like an improvement...and is nothing like the old format.

The graphics are clever, the photos are crystal clear, and even the paper they use is a glossier, heavier stock. It feels like they increased the production budget 3-fold and actually attempted a total re-fresh. For example, the Masters edition has these quotes in a tiny font at the bottom of the page that are actually worth reading. Clever stuff. Who is the mastermind behind this? I can't remember the last time I said "Wow", but this a Wow moment.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,728 ClubWRX

I set them in the bathroom with plans to read. But end up getting all my golf information from here.

I know of people who take their laptops in the bathroom - avoid the magazine clutter and not miss any wrx. Not that they want to be identified . . . .
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,330 ClubWRX
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

I know of people who take their laptops in the bathroom - avoid the magazine clutter and not miss any wrx. Not that they want to be identified . . . .

Although I hate typing on it, i find the IPad easier to handle while doing “business”

Posting and pooping!
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Advanced Members Posts: 2,315 ✭✭
    nosedive32 wrote:

I get multiple copies a month because of stuff I've ordered from places and I never read any of them ever image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

I stopped paying for subscriptions decades ago and the **** things keep showing up every month. I go through them once mostly for the equipment pics and editorials. I do NOT like the new format.
    Callaway Fusion
    Pinhawk SL 5w
    TM Burner Superfast 4h
    TM Burner XD 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,728 ClubWRX

Hawkeye77 wrote:

Although I hate typing on it, i find the IPad easier to handle while doing “business”

Posting and pooping!

Three door plastic utility cart on wheels in the kids' now mostly unoccupied bathroom is the ticket - or so I've heard.
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Advanced Members Posts: 3,468 ✭✭
    I guess I’m in shock that people still get magazines. Waste of natural resources.
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Advanced Members Posts: 5,079 ✭✭

I guess I'm in shock that people still get magazines. Waste of natural resources.

Not everything is as good or better on devices. I hate trying to read **** on my phone. Takes about two minutes to p!ss me off.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23,27 Hybrid
    Ping Iblade 6-PW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Advanced Members Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Love it!

And it’s funny, but I hated GDs last change, and they changed back within 6 months of it. Good on them too.
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 11,487 mod
    I think its great. They looked at the Golfers Journal and basically said hey, we will copy exactly what they've done.
    M3 10.5 - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95 s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5
  • Steele47Steele47 Advanced Members Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    dcmidnight wrote:

I think its great. They looked at the Golfers Journal and basically said hey, we will copy exactly what they've done.

Thats surprising and good news. And thanks for reminding of the Golfers Journal. Been meaning to check that out.
  • kyleluteskylelutes Members Posts: 56 ✭✭
    I love it. Pages are of much higher quality!
  • kalamazookalamazoo Advanced Members Posts: 472
    I’m surprised by how much the new format bothers me. It doesn’t fit in my tidy magazine holder above my toilet and for that selfish reason alone I am not a fan.
  • Edaw68Edaw68 Advanced Members Posts: 1,455
    I'm not a fan. Too much like GQ or Maxim.