Ha I forgot about that cover.

He's hoping we all did too.
    Taylormade M1  Accra Tour Z CB 55 M5
    Titleist 915F  Diamana D+ 80s
    Titleist T-MB 20°  DG S400
    Titleist 695CB  DG S300 (4-PW)
    Cleveland RTX 2.0  52°, 56°, 60°
    Miura  KM-006 

6/10; Monroe Invitational [Q]  |  Monroe Golf Club (NY)
    6/22; (RDGA) District Champ [Q]  |  FarView Golf Course (NY)

• RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,012 ClubWRX

RSinSG wrote:

It's all Karma. It's never cool to dump your fiancee via a 10 minute phone call. Especially when you were hanging around with her earlier in the day. Somewhere in Caroline's luggage is a Rory doll with pins stuck in it.

He's won 2 majors, 2 WGCs, a Fedex cup and Race to Dubai since the breakup.....poor karma
    Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • HankshankHankshank Posts: 1,516 ✭✭
    Just from what I saw of last day at Bay Hill, he was good with the driver as always, lukewarm on the greens and not at all as accurate with his iron shots as he used to be.
  • Danm2501Danm2501 Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Probably because winning on Tour is incredibly difficult. Players with a 1, 2 or 3 shot lead after 54 holes win 33% of the time in the last 6 years. Rory's numbers align with that pretty closely. Closing tournaments unless you go into the final round with a 4 shot lead or more is hard.
    Taylormade M1 HZRDUS Red 62 TI
    Callaway XR 4 Wood
    Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Irons (4-SW)
    Vokey SM5 Wedge 50*
    Callaway Mack Daddy III 58*
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball
  • Rob McHughRob McHugh Rob ClubWRX Posts: 963 ClubWRX
    I’m just going to put this out there as a 60 year old hacker playing off 10. It appears to me anyway, that he often misreads the putts. Could it be that JP used to help out with the reads, I wouldn’t expect his mate to be any help there.

Rob
  • MMB1500MMB1500 Members Posts: 6,312 ✭✭
    Rob McHugh wrote:

I’m just going to put this out there as a 60 year old hacker playing off 10. It appears to me anyway, that he often misreads the putts. Could it be that JP used to help out with the reads, I wouldn’t expect his mate to be any help there.

Rob

I believe his green reading is a huge factor in his poor performance on the greens. If he got some proper guidance on this it could help him massively.
  • GolfnutgalenGolfnutgalen Members Posts: 2,496 ✭✭
    When Rory won the API last year he gained a remarkable 2.5 stroke per round with his putter. Now stats of course aren't perfect of course, but he would have won his last 5 tournaments this season if he had that putting average this year.
  • His stance is too wide. His swing is too loopy
  • SugarPenguinSugarPenguin Members Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Im a huge Rory fan and he has to be the most frustrating player to support on tour.

My opinion:

Rory is a much better putter than people give him credit for. The only sub-standard part of his game is wedges. He is decent at chipping but anything else (including bunkers) hes poor in comparison.

The biggest factor for me is mentally. I think he is just mentally drained. I don't think its the pressure or stress or being married or anything like that..... I just think that he just has so many sponsor commitments and responsibilities of that nature. He puts waaaaay to much effort in doing that then focusing on his game. So when the time comes and some pressure does kick in, he just doesnt seem to have the mental capacity to go into 'kill mode'. He needs to stop grinding for money as im sure he isnt going to struggle to keep the lights on, and just play fearless and committed golf as its just waaay to safe on Sundays when hes in contention. For me - he is just a bit lassez-faire and once he has a couple of bad holes he just seems to just give up and not grind.

Sort it out Rory - and if you are short of some cash for a beer I can spot you.

Just my opinion.
    The Bats:
    TS3 - Project X HZRDUS Yellow
    915F 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver
    Apex Hybrid 19°- Kuro Kage Black
    716 AP2 - Project X Rifle 6.0
    Vokey 50° 54° 58° - Project X Rifle 6.0
    Spider Tour Red[/font]
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker Members Posts: 5,160 ✭✭

Im a huge Rory fan and he has to be the most frustrating player to support on tour.

My opinion:

Rory is a much better putter than people give him credit for. The only sub-standard part of his game is wedges. He is decent at chipping but anything else (including bunkers) hes poor in comparison.

The biggest factor for me is mentally. I think he is just mentally drained. I don't think its the pressure or stress or being married or anything like that..... I just think that he just has so many sponsor commitments and responsibilities of that nature. He puts waaaaay to much effort in doing that then focusing on his game. So when the time comes and some pressure does kick in, he just doesnt seem to have the mental capacity to go into 'kill mode'. He needs to stop grinding for money as im sure he isnt going to struggle to keep the lights on, and just play fearless and committed golf as its just waaay to safe on Sundays when hes in contention. For me - he is just a bit lassez-faire and once he has a couple of bad holes he just seems to just give up and not grind.

Just my opinion.

+1
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,083 ✭✭
    rjbrewer57 wrote:

His stance is too wide. His swing is too loopy

• Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,228 ✭✭
    Gluten Deficiency.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,083 ✭✭
    Steele47 wrote:

Gluten Deficiency.

Gluten is key.

Like tonight

Loaf of Italian bread

Big plate of pasta with rabe

Breaded Veal cutlets

Haha!

Course I killed myself of the old school step machine after work for like 35 minutes. Got my heart rate to 290.

Actually, dont feel so good right now.

Need a cookie ; )

• youdamantigeryoudamantiger Posts: 392 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 5:58am #75

My opinion:

Just my opinion.

Rory ranked 15th last year in proximity to the hole from 100-125 yards. He ranked 20th last year in proximity to the hole from under 100 yards. He ranked 97th in putting. Still think his wedges are the problem?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • dolfinackdolfinack Posts: 466 ✭✭
    imakaveli wrote:

Beer buddy as a caddie, already accomplished and gazillions in the bank. I would do the switch anytime though.

Harry Diamond is a +2 player. That’s the kind of beer buddy caddy you want.

In other news, golf is hard.
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,536 ClubWRX
    dolfinack wrote:

imakaveli wrote:

Beer buddy as a caddie, already accomplished and gazillions in the bank. I would do the switch anytime though.

Harry Diamond is a +2 player. That’s the kind of beer buddy caddy you want.

In other news, golf is hard.

Being good at playing golf doesn't mean you are good at caddying, it means you are good at playing golf.

Golf is hard, but that's not a big deal if you are already accomplished.

Fat Rory is still my favourite player though.
  • 23under23under KING Posts: 1,324 ✭✭
    imakaveli wrote:

Fat Rory is still my favourite player though.

Nail on the head there.

Fat Rory = Always hungry to win

Slim Rory = On a diet
    COBRA F8+ HZRDUS YELLOW 6.5
    COBRA F8 19* HZRDUS BLACK 6.5
    TAYLORMADE MC 4-PW X100
    ODYSSEY JAILBIRD MINI
    TITLEIST PROV1 X
    CLICGEAR 3.5
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Posts: 438 ✭✭
    So which is better: Fat Luther Vandross or skinny?

Not having been in that position I cannot imagine what it's like going from a pudgy kid who plays golf at a high level for the love of the game to an adult who plays it for a living and is being pushed and pulled in all directions by media and business obligations. I don't think there's anything wrong with him; he's an excellent player who'll win his share of tournaments. He's good; just not 'Tiger good'. Tiger casts a long shadow.
  • oz dee ceeoz dee cee Posts: 466 ✭✭
    This thread done??? Or does it have to be a major, not the ‘5th’ major?
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,586 ✭✭
    Just needs a green jacket now
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • pingbling23pingbling23 Posts: 222 ✭✭
    Well done RORS!!!!
    Ping G 10.5* Tour 65 S
    Ping G30 3 & 5 Fwy
    Ping G25 3-W CFS X
    Ping Gorge 52*, 56*, 60*
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2/Ping Sigma G Anser
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,342 ClubWRX

In August of 2017 at the Open Championship at Royal Birkdale Mcilroy fired his caddie JP Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald's replacement was Harry Diamond, Rory's best friend who had no professional caddie experience at all. Fitzgerald on the other hand, had caddied for Darren Clarke, Paul Mcginley and Ernie Els.

Since Diamond took over, Mcilroy was in the last group in these 7 tournaments:

2018 Masters

2018 WGC

2018 BMW

2018 Tour Championship

2019 Sentry Tournament of Champions

2019 WGC

2019 Arnold Palmer Invitational

and he was unable to close the deal.

I'm wondering if Mcilroy would have had a caddie with tour experience, a caddie who knew how to handle the pressure being in contention on Sunday, he might have won at least one of those six tournaments.

I'm wondering if Mcilroy is thinking about that too.

Did he have a different caddie today? Oh - looked like the same guy that's been there for his no worse than 6th place in his events this year. Dominating.
  • KaysquareKaysquare Puppyluv Members Posts: 2,165 ✭✭
    Congrats to Rory! A fine win for him on St. Patrick's Day. I'll admit I was rooting for Jim Furyk though.
  • sandtrapsandtrap Members Posts: 802 ✭✭
    Ok close it up
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,149 ✭✭
    oz dee cee wrote:

This thread done??? Or does it have to be a major, not the '5th' major?

Aren't internet discussions fun?
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • Ogden51Ogden51 AustraliaMembers Posts: 188 ClubWRX
    Open the floodgates
  • rkelso184rkelso184 Posts: 156 ✭✭
    well this got awkward quickly....
    Driver - G410 Evenflow Black 70S
    4W - F9 Fuji Speeder XLR8 Pro 73S
    6W - F9 Fuji Speeder XLR8 Pro 73S
    4H - JPX900 Fuji Pro 73HS
    5 to P - P790 1" Over KBS Tour S
    50-54-58 - MD4 Black DGS200 TI 
    P - Spider X 35"
    Ball - Chrome Soft

• imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,536 ClubWRX
    About time Rory. Must have been nothing interesting on tv this afternoon image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> now win Augusta and make it 6 image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,342 ClubWRX
    He hasn’t forgotten how to win, Caroline can’t remember the PIN on her phone. She’s down, he’s up! Poor Elaine!

https://mobile.twitter.com/CaroWozniacki/status/1106061797323431936

• GolfnutgalenGolfnutgalen Members Posts: 2,496 ✭✭
    Just wanted to post this video here: