2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Fit into... JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro

IamMarkMac

I've always liked Mizuno clubs but was rather surprised to have landed on these when, historically, I've landed on Callaway or TM and this time, I walked into the store looking to buy Pings. Shafts were almost dead even between the DG105 and CTaper Lite. If I'm completely honest, I hit the DG105 a little better and the feel was a little better but I couldn't resist the look of the ctapers.

Anyone have anything to say about their HM Pros? There's surprisingly little content out there.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I've always liked Mizuno clubs but was rather surprised to have landed on these when, historically, I've landed on Callaway or TM and this time, I walked into the store looking to buy Pings. Shafts were almost dead even between the DG105 and CTaper Lite. If I'm completely honest, I hit the DG105 a little better and the feel was a little better but I couldn't resist the look of the ctapers.

Anyone have anything to say about their HM Pros? There's surprisingly little content out there.

Just got my set last week went from I200s Mizuno will sell alot of theses

Just saw these in person.

The offset is much less than last year’s version.

If I wasn’t already committed to 2 sets of irons, I would be all over these.

Agree with the previous posters.

Mizuno will sell loads of these.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

I just got mine and love them.

I was fit between the Modus 105 S and the C Taper Lite 110 S. However, I felt like I was able to get after the CTLs a little bit more and so happily went with those, as you note they look pretty hot. Only gripe I have with the set is the Gap Wedge (or really, lack thereof) because I like my GW to match my irons because that is a full swing club for me 90%+ of the time (I use a 54 and 58 set of specialty wedges for most of pitch, chip, whatever shots).

After looking at a few different ones I decided to get the "set" GW which is really just a Generic 919 Gap Wedge because I thought it visually blended the best with the PW at address (also looked at the 919 Forged GW). Just will need to get some acetone and testors to take out the white numbering on the sole of the GW and then refill it and the Mizuno Bird on the back of the GW with some black to match it up with the rest of the set (because I'm just OCD like that).

I was fit between the Modus 105 S and the C Taper Lite 110 S. However, I felt like I was able to get after the CTLs a little bit more and so happily went with those, as you note they look pretty hot. Only gripe I have with the set is the Gap Wedge (or really, lack thereof) because I like my GW to match my irons because that is a full swing club for me 90%+ of the time (I use a 54 and 58 set of specialty wedges for most of pitch, chip, whatever shots).

After looking at a few different ones I decided the get the "set" GW which is really just a Generic 919 Gap Wedge because I thought it visually blended the best with the PW at address (also looked at the 919 Forged GW). Just will need to get some acetone and testors to take out the white numbering on the sole of the GW and then refill it and the Mizuno Bird on the back of the GW with some black to match it up with the rest of the set (because I'm just OCD like that).

Man, I was going to comment about the paintfil but you beat me to it. haha.

I got mine on Friday of last week and have played two rounds with my HM Pro 5-GW with C-Taper Lites in stiff. I was coming from i210's w/ Project X LZ's and Power Spec. The HM Pro is more forgiving for me and I love the way they look down by the ball. I opted for the C-Taper Lite's like KParks as I wanted something lighter than what I was playing in the LZ's (120g). I got the set gap wedge as well and think it blends real nice into my Glide 2.0 Stealth Sand wedge. Super stoked on these irons and love the added forgiveness. Plus I get to take one less club into greens now which is nice.

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

After looking at a few different ones I decided the get the "set" GW which is really just a Generic 919 Gap Wedge because I thought it visually blended the best with the PW at address (also looked at the 919 Forged GW). Just will need to get some acetone and testors to take out the white numbering on the sole of the GW and then refill it and the Mizuno Bird on the back of the GW with some black to match it up with the rest of the set (because I'm just OCD like that).

I got mine on Friday of last week and have played two rounds with my HM Pro 5-GW with C-Taper Lites in stiff. I was coming from i210's w/ Project X LZ's and Power Spec. The HM Pro is more forgiving for me and I love the way they look down by the ball. I opted for the C-Taper Lite's like KParks as I wanted something lighter than what I was playing in the LZ's (120g). I got the set gap wedge as well and think it blends real nice into my Glide 2.0 Stealth Sand wedge. Super stoked on these irons and love the added forgiveness. Plus I get to take one less club into greens now which is nice.

Nice, what shaft and grind in the Stealth? I'm thinking about getting some new wedges as well and definitely giving a hard look at the Glide 2.0 Stealth's. Probably do a 54 SS and 58 ES.

Nice, what shaft and grind in the Stealth? I'm thinking about getting some new wedges as well and definitely giving a hard look at the Glide 2.0 Stealth's. Probably do a 54 SS and 58 ES.

I only have one.... 56 SS Grind...if the experiment with the HM Pro GW doesnt pan out I'll be getting the 50* SS Grind gap wedge. I have the Project X LZ 120 6.0 in the 56. Really good wedges....

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

After looking at a few different ones I decided to get the "set" GW which is really just a Generic 919 Gap Wedge because I thought it visually blended the best with the PW at address (also looked at the 919 Forged GW). Just will need to get some acetone and testors to take out the white numbering on the sole of the GW and then refill it and the Mizuno Bird on the back of the GW with some black to match it up with the rest of the set (because I'm just OCD like that).

I had an internal debate about the GW too but I like Mizuno wedges so I didn't mind taking a 50deg wedge. I don't mind using it as a full swing club at all because well... blue ion is damn cool.

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I don't know if it's just me but the CTLs in stiff just felt stiffer than what I expected. I felt that it was the stiffest shaft I tested that morning. I chose regular flex and that, to me, seemed to be about the equivalent of the DG in stiff.

I don't know if it's just me but the CTLs in stiff just felt stiffer than what I expected. I felt that it was the stiffest shaft I tested that morning. I chose regular flex and that, to me, seemed to be about the equivalent of the DG in stiff.

I think it’s the swingweight of the club to be honest. I did notice that but didn’t see my actual numbers that would show I was swinging it worse with what was a perceived stiffer shaft

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I got to try the HM Pro at a demo day, and I was surprised at how much I liked them, thought they had a nice feel and look. 1 of the questions I was wondering about was 5 degree gaps in the short irons (starting at either 6 or 7 through wedge), is that a noticeable gap? Has anyone tried making a combo/blended set with these as the long irons and then going over to the JPX Tour? Hoping to have the chance to get fit and test these against other clubs to see how they perform and feel.

I got to try the HM Pro at a demo day, and I was surprised at how much I liked them, thought they had a nice feel and look. 1 of the questions I was wondering about was 5 degree gaps in the short irons (starting at either 6 or 7 through wedge), is that a noticeable gap? Has anyone tried making a combo/blended set with these as the long irons and then going over to the JPX Tour? Hoping to have the chance to get fit and test these against other clubs to see how they perform and feel.

I don’t know anyone doing that for this specific instance but Mizuno afficionados have been doing mixed sets FOREVER so I’m sure someone’s doing it. The current long iron of choice in mixed sets though is the fli-hi, I believe but I can see someone going HM or even HM Pro with Tours.

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I have 4-5 hm and 6-pw hm pro. Modus 105 s. So far they feel great. Little more forgiving over i200.

I came from I200 playing first round tomorrow cant wait

I’m getting about 3 more chs and 3-5 yards carry
  • Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

I really enjoy reading member club option and evaluation. The feedback is valuable and it would be even more valuable if folks would start giving more tangible evidence of improvement and or trouble areas. Seems the large majority of evaluations centers around looks rather than measurable performance. Numbers, numbers, numbers really are more helpful ;)

• 2 months later...

I got fitted about a month ago into the JPX 919 Hot metal pro's with the steelfiber i95 shafts and I like them.

I came from the i200 and honestly my fitting for the ping was not correct so I never really liked them that much.

i do notice that spin rate has dropped a lot and my ball flight is a little different. I have been trying to dial them in but the weather has been all over the place.

windy cold one day nice one day but windy.

I've been trying to decide on shafts for the HMPros among the Pro Modus 105S and C-Taper Lite 110S and C-Taper Lite 105R for almost a month. I went to two demos and did Mizuno's Shaft optimizer thing, which was great. At both demos, the ProModus 105S came up. At the first, which was crazy cold and windy, the CTL105R was the second option, and I loved it. At the second demo, the C-Taper Lite 110S came up. I hit the Pro Modus 105S well at both fittings, but I've hit the CTL 105R and 110S better at both. Dispersion seems tighter with the CTLs. I haven't been able to check spin rates, though, and my research has me a bit concerned that the CTL 110S won't spin enough for me--even though I loved the trajectory, dispersion, and distance. Does anyone have feedback on the spin for these? I have a relatively steep AOA at 4-5* and a 7-iron ss around 75mph with a quick tempo--around a 6-7/10 on Mizuno's shaft optimizer. Anyone with a shaft fitting chart that compares these three? I'm a bit lost and really want to pull the trigger on these irons.

Cant wait to try these. They do look really good. Setting them next to the 919 forged you can barely tell the difference looking at them from address. Smaller blade length than I expected. Hard to believe they're more forgiving vs ping i200 or i210 - those were pretty darn forgiving LOL. Very similar size etc so I wonder if they have numbers to go with that or it may be in the eye of the beholder. Mizzy's just feel a little better vs ping but hard to argue with excellent results. I cannot believe someone would buy i210's and then these since its so short between releases. LOL I guess I just come from a different cloth. I have irons from 2005 and haven't gotten new ones but damn wish I could afford new ones. I'm wearing small nickle sized areas into the faces of 6-p hahaha. I love it when those wear marks rust too, just feels like the face has a little more friction on it. Hearing all the guys with 1 year old irons getting new irons - either new stuff wears out quicker which scares me or you're searching for something. Its not the arrow.

• Like 1

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter:
Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver:
Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid:
Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid:
Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW:
Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW:
Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW:
Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips: 
Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

> @soderwoell said:

> I've been trying to decide on shafts for the HMPros among the Pro Modus 105S and C-Taper Lite 110S and C-Taper Lite 105R for almost a month. I went to two demos and did Mizuno's Shaft optimizer thing, which was great. At both demos, the ProModus 105S came up. At the first, which was crazy cold and windy, the CTL105R was the second option, and I loved it. At the second demo, the C-Taper Lite 110S came up. I hit the Pro Modus 105S well at both fittings, but I've hit the CTL 105R and 110S better at both. Dispersion seems tighter with the CTLs. I haven't been able to check spin rates, though, and my research has me a bit concerned that the CTL 110S won't spin enough for me--even though I loved the trajectory, dispersion, and distance. Does anyone have feedback on the spin for these? I have a relatively steep AOA at 4-5* and a 7-iron ss around 75mph with a quick tempo--around a 6-7/10 on Mizuno's shaft optimizer. Anyone with a shaft fitting chart that compares these three? I'm a bit lost and really want to pull the trigger on these irons.

My fitting for the HM Pro led me to Project X LZ 5.5's, and boy did that end up being a disaster for me. After I'd had them for about a month, I told my pro that they just weren't working out me. We had a Mizuno demo day coming up, so we decided the best thing to do would be to try some other shaft options with the Mizuno rep there and see if we could figure out what the problem was. It turned out the 115 gms of the LZ was just too heavy for me. Once I tried the HM Pro with both the C Taper Lite and Modus 105S the club just kind of came alive for me. Both shafts were a huge improvement, but I ended up going with the Modus 105S, and it's already made a huge difference. The clubs had to be shipped back to Mizuno to have the shafts changed, and I just got them back a couple of days ago, but my first round with the Modus was 12 shots lower than the last I shot with the LZ's in them. It's hard to believe 10 grams would make such a difference.

All in all, the process has been a bit of a nightmare considering I first received the clubs almost two and half months ago and only now have a set I really feel happy with. On the other hand, it was educational for me in that I actually learned a lot about what does and doesn't work for me in shafts, and I guess that's pretty valuable info to have.

• Like 1

> @clp34vmp said:

> > @soderwoell said:

> > I've been trying to decide on shafts for the HMPros among the Pro Modus 105S and C-Taper Lite 110S and C-Taper Lite 105R for almost a month. I went to two demos and did Mizuno's Shaft optimizer thing, which was great. At both demos, the ProModus 105S came up. At the first, which was crazy cold and windy, the CTL105R was the second option, and I loved it. At the second demo, the C-Taper Lite 110S came up. I hit the Pro Modus 105S well at both fittings, but I've hit the CTL 105R and 110S better at both. Dispersion seems tighter with the CTLs. I haven't been able to check spin rates, though, and my research has me a bit concerned that the CTL 110S won't spin enough for me--even though I loved the trajectory, dispersion, and distance. Does anyone have feedback on the spin for these? I have a relatively steep AOA at 4-5* and a 7-iron ss around 75mph with a quick tempo--around a 6-7/10 on Mizuno's shaft optimizer. Anyone with a shaft fitting chart that compares these three? I'm a bit lost and really want to pull the trigger on these irons.

>

> My fitting for the HM Pro led me to Project X LZ 5.5's, and boy did that end up being a disaster for me. After I'd had them for about a month, I told my pro that they just weren't working out me. We had a Mizuno demo day coming up, so we decided the best thing to do would be to try some other shaft options with the Mizuno rep there and see if we could figure out what the problem was. It turned out the 115 gms of the LZ was just too heavy for me. Once I tried the HM Pro with both the C Taper Lite and Modus 105S the club just kind of came alive for me. Both shafts were a huge improvement, but I ended up going with the Modus 105S, and it's already made a huge difference. The clubs had to be shipped back to Mizuno to have the shafts changed, and I just got them back a couple of days ago, but my first round with the Modus was 12 shots lower than the last I shot with the LZ's in them. It's hard to believe 10 grams would make such a difference.

>

> All in all, the process has been a bit of a nightmare considering I first received the clubs almost two and half months ago and only now have a set I really feel happy with. On the other hand, it was educational for me in that I actually learned a lot about what does and doesn't work for me in shafts, and I guess that's pretty valuable info to have.

I tried the PXLZ 5.5 at the first demo, and they were just awful for me. I find the Modus and CTL to be pretty close, but I get a bit higher launch with the CTL 105R, and it feels a little more stable. My vanity wants the CTL 110S, but it might be a little more shaft than I can manage. The CTLs seem to feel a bit firmer than the Modus 105s.

Glad to hear of your experience comparing the two. It took me a while to settle on the head, which will be my first cast iron in thirty years and first new set in ten years, so I want to be sure to get the shaft right.

Playing the HM Pro 4 Iron as my driving iron with my 919 Tours and its superb.. Best feeling power spec iron i have played.. Love the player look with little offset and thinner sole.. Also the sweet spot is almost 2 balls wide compared to my 919 Tours which is about 1.25 balls wide with little change in distance

• Like 1

> @soderwoell said:

> > @clp34vmp said:

> > > @soderwoell said:

> > > I've been trying to decide on shafts for the HMPros among the Pro Modus 105S and C-Taper Lite 110S and C-Taper Lite 105R for almost a month. I went to two demos and did Mizuno's Shaft optimizer thing, which was great. At both demos, the ProModus 105S came up. At the first, which was crazy cold and windy, the CTL105R was the second option, and I loved it. At the second demo, the C-Taper Lite 110S came up. I hit the Pro Modus 105S well at both fittings, but I've hit the CTL 105R and 110S better at both. Dispersion seems tighter with the CTLs. I haven't been able to check spin rates, though, and my research has me a bit concerned that the CTL 110S won't spin enough for me--even though I loved the trajectory, dispersion, and distance. Does anyone have feedback on the spin for these? I have a relatively steep AOA at 4-5* and a 7-iron ss around 75mph with a quick tempo--around a 6-7/10 on Mizuno's shaft optimizer. Anyone with a shaft fitting chart that compares these three? I'm a bit lost and really want to pull the trigger on these irons.

> >

> > My fitting for the HM Pro led me to Project X LZ 5.5's, and boy did that end up being a disaster for me. After I'd had them for about a month, I told my pro that they just weren't working out me. We had a Mizuno demo day coming up, so we decided the best thing to do would be to try some other shaft options with the Mizuno rep there and see if we could figure out what the problem was. It turned out the 115 gms of the LZ was just too heavy for me. Once I tried the HM Pro with both the C Taper Lite and Modus 105S the club just kind of came alive for me. Both shafts were a huge improvement, but I ended up going with the Modus 105S, and it's already made a huge difference. The clubs had to be shipped back to Mizuno to have the shafts changed, and I just got them back a couple of days ago, but my first round with the Modus was 12 shots lower than the last I shot with the LZ's in them. It's hard to believe 10 grams would make such a difference.

> >

> > All in all, the process has been a bit of a nightmare considering I first received the clubs almost two and half months ago and only now have a set I really feel happy with. On the other hand, it was educational for me in that I actually learned a lot about what does and doesn't work for me in shafts, and I guess that's pretty valuable info to have.

>

> I tried the PXLZ 5.5 at the first demo, and they were just awful for me. I find the Modus and CTL to be pretty close, but I get a bit higher launch with the CTL 105R, and it feels a little more stable. My vanity wants the CTL 110S, but it might be a little more shaft than I can manage. The CTLs seem to feel a bit firmer than the Modus 105s.

>

> Glad to hear of your experience comparing the two. It took me a while to settle on the head, which will be my first cast iron in thirty years and first new set in ten years, so I want to be sure to get the shaft right.

I was hitting both the CTL and Modus pretty equally. The Mizuno rep just felt like if I was struggling with the 115 gm LZ, then it made more sense to go with a 105 gm shaft as opposed to 110 gm which seemed to make sense to me.

I was wavering on these for a while but something clicked the other week and I've been pounding the ball with the HMPs for the past 3 games. I watched James Robinson rank these #1 in his most forgiving irons video (for players distance irons, basically) and for my part I agree, so long as I put on a descending blow. There's just no sweeping with these and that shouldn't be a problem but I'm a reformed picker of the ball so occasionally I'll make bottom half contact and have harsh feedback to the hands. Last week, I hit a 6i 160y like that on to the front of a green. It literally skipped it's way along a dry fairway to the putting surface. Wasn't pretty at all but I take what the golf gods give.

• 3 weeks later...

> @ddboston said:

> I was fit into the Steelfiber i95, same as my PXG gen 1, but Mizuno conveniently doesn’t offer SF95’s and now it’s a game of find a stock near those shafts OR drop coin into the SF’s OR pull my PXG shafts and play the swap around game

You can get Recoil 95s but yeah, even though shaft upgrades are free, I'm disappointed that I can't get certain shafts for the HMPs.

HM Pro’s are straight up money! So forgiving! Long too but still have plenty of spin. Shot 80 today with a iffy driver and cold putter. The irons/wedges saved my bacon all round long! I think 80 was about as bad as I could have shot.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x