ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Ping 410 Adapters - always neutral face?

matchavezmatchavez Advanced Members Posts: 4,022 ✭✭
Hi all,



Prior to the 410, Ping's adapters would open or close the face. You know, the Big Plus would make a driver 'draw biased', or at least appear face closed.



The new 410 adapters... do they change, or open/close the face? Or is it always a neutral face?



Thanks.

Comments

  • erock9174erock9174 Advanced Members Posts: 3,921
    matchavez wrote:


    Hi all,



    Prior to the 410, Ping's adapters would open or close the face. You know, the Big Plus would make a driver 'draw biased', or at least appear face closed.



    The new 410 adapters... do they change, or open/close the face? Or is it always a neutral face?



    Thanks.




    Same concept with the normal 5 settings. They just added 3 additional flat lie angle options:

    Flat with neutral loft

    Flat with +1* loft

    Flat with -1* loft
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Driver: Taylormade M3 12* FG[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Fairway: Ping G400 SFT 5w[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Hybrids: Exotics Xrail 23*/26*
    Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
    Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 56*/ 60* / Callaway Sure Out 64*[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Putter: Ping Tyne H
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four 5 [/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Tracking: Game Golf[/font]
  • matchavezmatchavez Advanced Members Posts: 4,022 ✭✭
    erock9174 wrote:

    matchavez wrote:


    Hi all,



    Prior to the 410, Ping's adapters would open or close the face. You know, the Big Plus would make a driver 'draw biased', or at least appear face closed.



    The new 410 adapters... do they change, or open/close the face? Or is it always a neutral face?



    Thanks.




    Same concept with the normal 5 settings. They just added 3 additional flat lie angle options:

    Flat with neutral loft

    Flat with +1* loft

    Flat with -1* loft




    Not quite what I was asking...



    To be specific, let's say you set an adapter at +1.5º. Does it close the face while raising the loft, or does the face remain neutral left-to-right, only raising the loft?
  • tbone18tbone18 Advanced Members Posts: 485 ✭✭
    matchavez wrote:

    erock9174 wrote:

    matchavez wrote:


    Hi all,



    Prior to the 410, Ping's adapters would open or close the face. You know, the Big Plus would make a driver 'draw biased', or at least appear face closed.



    The new 410 adapters... do they change, or open/close the face? Or is it always a neutral face?



    Thanks.




    Same concept with the normal 5 settings. They just added 3 additional flat lie angle options:

    Flat with neutral loft

    Flat with +1* loft

    Flat with -1* loft




    Not quite what I was asking...



    To be specific, let's say you set an adapter at +1.5º. Does it close the face while raising the loft, or does the face remain neutral left-to-right, only raising the loft?
    it will close the face.
    CALLAWAY BIG BERTHA 815 HYBRID 20,23 / MATRIX HM3 105
    MIURA CB-1007 5-PW / ALDILA RIP TOUR 115
    TAYLORMADE HIGH TOE 50,54,58
    PXG BAT ATTACK BLACK CENTER SHAFT

    TESTING IN PROGRESS
    EPIC FLASH SUB ZERO 9* / ALDILA ROGUE SILVER 110 70 X-FLEX
    PING G410 PLUS 9* / PROJECT X EVENFLOW BLACK 75 6.5
    HONMA TW737VN 5-10 / ALDILA RIP TOUR 115
  • matchavezmatchavez Advanced Members Posts: 4,022 ✭✭
    tbone18 wrote:

    matchavez wrote:

    erock9174 wrote:

    matchavez wrote:


    Hi all,



    Prior to the 410, Ping's adapters would open or close the face. You know, the Big Plus would make a driver 'draw biased', or at least appear face closed.



    The new 410 adapters... do they change, or open/close the face? Or is it always a neutral face?



    Thanks.




    Same concept with the normal 5 settings. They just added 3 additional flat lie angle options:

    Flat with neutral loft

    Flat with +1* loft

    Flat with -1* loft




    Not quite what I was asking...



    To be specific, let's say you set an adapter at +1.5º. Does it close the face while raising the loft, or does the face remain neutral left-to-right, only raising the loft?
    it will close the face.




    So do we know by how much?
  • Stuart G.Stuart G. Members, Advanced Members Posts: 22,640 ✭✭
    edited March 12
    matchavez wrote:

    tbone18 wrote:


    it will close the face.




    So do we know by how much?




    It's always ~1.8* of face angle change for each 1* of "loft" change. This is mathematically/geometrically fixed, it doesn't change based on the design of the adapter or the manufacturer.



    Well, in theory, it might be possible for the OEM's to tweak this a bit based on the design of the sole geometry of the club and how it rests on a flat surface - but there is nothing they can do with the design of the adapter itself to change it.
  • matchavezmatchavez Advanced Members Posts: 4,022 ✭✭
    edited March 12
    Well, I ask because Titleist's adapter changes lie and loft independently. I was hoping the 410 would simply adjust loft. If I'm hitting something straight, but too high, I don't need the face to change (at rest).



    Right now, my 400 is doing well but it's a touch too high so I lose a few metres. When I drop it a degree, it's not straight anymore. Every time I think it'll give me better flight, but the directional misses aren't worth it.



    Adding 1.5º upcoming during the winter seems hardly justifiable if I have to shut the face 2.7º. That's second-cut stuff...
  • Stuart G.Stuart G. Members, Advanced Members Posts: 22,640 ✭✭
    matchavez wrote:


    Well, I ask because Titleist's adapter changes lie and loft independently. I was hoping the 410 would simply adjust loft. If I'm hitting something straight, but too high, I don't need the face to change (at rest).




    Loft and lie can be independent, they are two different (and independent) axis of adjustment. The adapters that do not allow indepencent adjustment is actually a limitation of the adapter design. Just like loft and lie can be adjusted independently on an iron with a bending machine.



    But Face angle and loft is not independent, it's really 2 "different" consequences of one type of adjustment.
  • matchavezmatchavez Advanced Members Posts: 4,022 ✭✭
    Stuart G. wrote:

    matchavez wrote:


    Well, I ask because Titleist's adapter changes lie and loft independently. I was hoping the 410 would simply adjust loft. If I'm hitting something straight, but too high, I don't need the face to change (at rest).




    Loft and lie can be independent, they are two different (and independent) axis of adjustment. The adapters that do not allow indepencent adjustment is actually a limitation of the adapter design. Just like loft and lie can be adjusted independently on an iron with a bending machine.



    But Face angle and loft is not independent, it's really 2 "different" consequences of one type of adjustment.




    I'm not sure I understand your point. You can choose to adjust one axis. The G30GG400 adapters were designed to adjust along two axes. Big Plus closed the face, Big Minus opened it. To me, that makes them less than ideal when all I want to adjust is flight apex.



    So if these 410 adapters do the same thing, the only thing that *seems* handy is that the 3º flat, neutral setting might be handy because it shouldn't influence left-right flight (much; I know it'll have a tendency to push ATBE).



    Anyhow, thanks for the information. At least we can now change hybrid shafts.
  • Stuart G.Stuart G. Members, Advanced Members Posts: 22,640 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    matchavez wrote:


    I'm not sure I understand your point. You can choose to adjust one axis. The G30GG400 adapters were designed to adjust along two axes. Big Plus closed the face, Big Minus opened it. To me, that makes them less than ideal when all I want to adjust is flight apex.



    So if these 410 adapters do the same thing, the only thing that *seems* handy is that the 3º flat, neutral setting might be handy because it shouldn't influence left-right flight (much; I know it'll have a tendency to push ATBE).



    Anyhow, thanks for the information. At least we can now change hybrid shafts.




    Sorry, not sure what exactly you don't understand - so don't know if this will help or not.



    My point was simply that:
    • 'loft' (really effective loft) and lie adjustments are done on separate axis - so potentially can be adjusted independently (depending on the adapter design)
    • 'loft' (really effective loft) and face angle is the same adjustment axis - so can't be adjusted independently - no matter how the adapter is designed.


    Sometimes the "loft" adjustments are marketed as loft adjustments, sometimes they were marketed as face angle adjustments - despite that, the underlying adjustment is doing the same thing in either case. It's not really a change in design, just different labeling.



    If you still don't understand, you might have to clarify where the disconnect is if you want further clarification.
  • matchavezmatchavez Advanced Members Posts: 4,022 ✭✭
    Stuart G. wrote:


    If you still don't understand, you might have to clarify where the disconnect is if you want further clarification.






    OK, so loft and lie, I understand. If on the G410 you do a neutral, lower loft, the face is still neutral.



    So for the sake of this discussion, let's only compare two settings, and they exist in both models.



    Let's say you have a 10 degree driver. So the O setting is 10º and neutral "to the target".

    Now, both clubs give you a setting to go to 11º loft.

    You've said that the loft change would effectively close the face by 1.8º.



    So, confirming, both the G30 adapter and the G410 adapter both close the face by 1.8º if in a setting of one degree higher loft.



    If so, why are they tied together? That's what I don't understand... What's the rationale or whatever that when adjusting the loft, the neutrality goes away?



    Does that make more sense?
  • Stuart G.Stuart G. Members, Advanced Members Posts: 22,640 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    matchavez wrote:


    If so, why are they tied together? That's what I don't understand... What's the rationale or whatever that when adjusting the loft, the neutrality goes away?



    Does that make more sense?




    I'll try, but it's a geometric relationship so not the easiest to explain in just words. But it's centered around the concept of face angle being defined as the direction the face is pointed with the head in it's naturally soled position and the shaft perpendicular to the target line.



    OK think of it this way - take a head that's sitting at address in it's naturally soled position and has a zero face angle. Now think about bending the hosel (like you would with an iron) to make the loft lower. You can 'simulate' this by holding your driver at address and, instead of doing anything with the hosel, just tilt the shaft toward the target line to get a little more shaft lean WITHOUT letting the grip twist or changing the direction the face is pointing.



    Now the head is no longer in it's naturally soled position and should be sitting up on it's leading edge because of the forward tilt or added loft. But since we are just simulating a change down at the hosel, from the simulated shaft is still perpendicular to the target line. The position we need it to be in to measure the face angle. So how do we get the head back to it's naturally soled position without changing which direction the shaft axis is pointing?



    There is only one way for it to get back to it's naturally soled position - and that is to let it twist around the shaft axis in a way that opens up the face so that the sole get's back down on the ground. Now we have back in it's naturally soled position but with the more open face angle. All just because we changed the effective loft from a hosel adjustment (or from bending a hosel).
  • matchavezmatchavez Advanced Members Posts: 4,022 ✭✭
    Thanks Stuart. I'm going to try to get my mind around this one. Much appreciated.
  • Snowman9000Snowman9000 Advanced Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    It's easier to understand once you see how the shaft is leaning at the various settings. When it leans forward, that means that when you set it (at address) back to plumb, you'll see the face close and the loft increase. When it leans backwards, the opposite happens. When it leans upright, well, that's upright. And down is flatter.



    And because the Ping adapters are the simple kind, the adjustments simply lean the shaft to different places on the compass or "clock". Saying the adjustments offer 3 flat options is marketing, IMO. When the shaft points to anything south of 90 degrees (3 o'clock) to 270 (9 o'clock) the lie is flatter. This is something that was done on similar adapters for a decade. The only difference is that you can call the southern leans flatter and the northern ones normal, or you can call the southern leans normal, and the northern ones upright. Sounds like Ping has flattened the overall "native" lie of the hosel and is calling them normal and flatter.



    Hold the shaft in front of you with the tip out at eye level. Rotate it and watch the change in where the tip points. You'll get it.



    The compound adapters which have additional rings are much harder to explain and envision. They can do lie adjustments separate from the loft/face angle one.
    Driver 915 D2
    5W Wilson Fybrid
    4h, 5h Adams Idea Tech 2015
    5-AW Snake Eyes Viper MS, graphite
    58º Callaway MD2 Forged S grind
    Putter TM Rossa Daytona 6
  • FlyOverFlyOver Advanced Members Posts: 279 ✭✭
    matchavez wrote:

    Stuart G. wrote:

    matchavez wrote:


    Well, I ask because Titleist's adapter changes lie and loft independently. I was hoping the 410 would simply adjust loft. If I'm hitting something straight, but too high, I don't need the face to change (at rest).




    Loft and lie can be independent, they are two different (and independent) axis of adjustment. The adapters that do not allow indepencent adjustment is actually a limitation of the adapter design. Just like loft and lie can be adjusted independently on an iron with a bending machine.



    But Face angle and loft is not independent, it's really 2 "different" consequences of one type of adjustment.




    I'm not sure I understand your point. You can choose to adjust one axis. The G30GG400 adapters were designed to adjust along two axes. Big Plus closed the face, Big Minus opened it. To me, that makes them less than ideal when all I want to adjust is flight apex.



    So if these 410 adapters do the same thing, the only thing that *seems* handy is that the 3º flat, neutral setting might be handy because it shouldn't influence left-right flight (much; I know it'll have a tendency to push ATBE).



    Anyhow, thanks for the information. At least we can now change hybrid shafts.




    If you want a lower flight. Try changing to a lower spin shaft or go a flex stiffer or tee the ball lower or to a ball with less spin.
    Taylormade M6 9.0 loft-Handcrafted Even Flow Black 6.0 65 grams shaft
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 13.5 degree-Tensei Blue AV stiff shaft
    Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid-Tensei Blue stiff 19*
    Honma TW 747v forged 4-10 irons-Modus 105 stiff shafts
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50* F Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 54* C Grind
    Callaway PM Grind 58* C Grind
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport modified center shaft putter
    Titleist yellow AVX ball
  • 62@Oakmont[email protected] Members Posts: 66 ✭✭
    matchavez wrote:


    Thanks Stuart. I'm going to try to get my mind around this one. Much appreciated.




    Check out this thread- video in first post explains it very well:



    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1081535-how-adjustable-drivers-actually-work-everyone-should-be-required-to-watch-this-to-be-allowed-to-post-on-this-site-thanks-tom-wishon/page__pid__10133105#entry10133105
    Ping G400 9* Tour 65
    Callaway XR 4w Diamana BB 70
    Callaway Steelhead 3h Tensei Pro Blue 80
    Ping i500 6-U, G700 4-5 Nippon Modus3 105
    Ping Glide SS 54* & ES 58* AWT 2.0
    Ping Sigma G Wolverine T
    Srixon Q-Star Tour
  • 11forgedblades11forgedblades Advanced Members Posts: 532
    edited March 16
    I would argue that because of the way adjustable hosels work (askew in a clock-like fashion), that there is no true "neutral face". Neutral would be a bonded hosel that is in perfectly straight. So you are forced to pick a slightly different angle than the true lie and face angle. Loft never really changes...just marketing IMO.
    COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
    TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
    COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
    TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
    BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"
  • justinguy15justinguy15 Advanced Members Posts: 164 ✭✭
    I just got a g410 3 wood and when you go use +1.5* loft on neutral it is very noticeably closed. When you use the +1.0* loft on the flat setting the the face does not seem as closed. Since I don’t have anything to actual measure them or set them side by side to compare it is really subjective. I have a hard time swinging and hitting anything with a noticeable closed face. I have not tried hitting it in the +1.0 flat setting maybe I will be able to. It’s amazing what you hear will make you do just b cause the way it looks.
    Callaway Epic 8* Hzrdus 65
    Callway Epic 14* Rogue Max 75
    Cobra F6 Baffler 17* Project x Hzrdus
    Cobra King Utility 19.5*Project x Hzrdus
    4-PW Ping G Project X
    50* Cleveland RTX3 Black Onyx
    58* Callaway PM Grind Black Onyx
    Odyssey Metal X Milled 7
Sign In or Register to comment.