ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

By Invite only/sponsors to join

CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...SomedayCorpus ChristiAdvanced Members Posts: 727 ✭✭
This may be a silly question but one that I’ve beem curious about since reading about private clubs and especially elite private clubs.

Many clubs require an inviatation and/or a sponsor (sometimes multiple). How does this work if someone moves to an area and has the means but doesn’t no a single person? Would their realtor help them make contacts? Interviews with membership coordinators that could introduce them to possible sponsors? I know some clubs are even offended if ones asks or inquired about membership. I’m not talking about clubs like Augusta National, Seminole, Pine Valley or Cypress Point because I know those are obvious outliers but what about somewhere like Loblolly, The Bears Club or Jupiter Hills?

Any thought or inside experiences?
Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1

Comments

• MichaelJScottMichaelJScott SchruteFarms Advanced Members Posts: 283 ✭✭
    reach out to the membership coordinator in most cases they will invite you out to the club for a tour and a round with members that could be potential sponsors. If all goes well the members you play with will most likely sponsor you because they will receive a sponsorship credit for sponsoring you although this may not be the case for some clubs. At the end of the day these clubs want or need new members and would love to welcome a new member.
  • az2auaz2au Advanced Members Posts: 1,745 ✭✭
    I’ve been a member of several private clubs over the last 20 years and never heard of a “sponsorship credit” but the rest of the above is aligned with my experience. I’m currently a member at two local clubs that required a member sponsor and I didn’t know a soul at either before reaching out to the membership director. I was invited to play at the clubs and members that i played with sponsored me. That said, I’m currently trying to join a very prestigious club in NY and this is proving a touch more challenging even though I do already know a member. They seem completely unconcerned about my ability to pay initiation and dues and more concerned about my overall profile. I sense it is going to take a while and getting to know several members.
  • cristphotocristphoto Advanced Members Posts: 3,280 ✭✭
    When I joined my club two sponsers were needed. I didn’t know anyone but wanted to be a member. The membership director set me up with a courtesy round with three other players. About a week later I got a call saying I was accepted. My guess is the three were assigned to “look me over” as being OK. I think in today’s economy if the check is good, so are you. The exception would be the ultra high end clubs.
  • CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...Someday Corpus ChristiAdvanced Members Posts: 727 ✭✭
    Interesting. Thanks y’all!
    Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
    Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
    Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
    Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 Advanced Members Posts: 4,923 ✭✭
    Some clubs do reward members for bringing in new members. And some clubs have a waiting list. So talk with the membership officer to get the facts.
  • Bluefan75Bluefan75 Advanced Members Posts: 3,849 ✭✭
    az2au wrote:

I’ve been a member of several private clubs over the last 20 years and never heard of a “sponsorship credit” but the rest of the above is aligned with my experience. I’m currently a member at two local clubs that required a member sponsor and I didn’t know a soul at either before reaching out to the membership director. I was invited to play at the clubs and members that i played with sponsored me. That said, I’m currently trying to join a very prestigious club in NY and this is proving a touch more challenging even though I do already know a member. They seem completely unconcerned about my ability to pay initiation and dues and more concerned about my overall profile. I sense it is going to take a while and getting to know several members.

You're going about it all wrong. You need figure out if T. Boone Pickens is a member, then when he is at some conference, try to stalk him in an elevator and ask him to sponsor you.That is your key to success.

My fee for this advice will be a round at the club when you are fully joined. image/rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' />
  • chbrakechbrake Clint ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 80 ClubWRX
    My club requires 2 member sponsers and they will actually talk to the sponsors to make sure they really do like the applicant. Also, my club offers a small discount for the sponsors for 2 years if the aspiring member stays for over 2 years, which is pretty nice. However, one of my buddies that I play with now, moved from out of town and didnt know a soul and just called and asked what the deal was. He got a tour and wrote them a check that day and played 27 holes with us the next day.

As someone mentioned before, if the check is good and theyre not a huge a******, most places are going to welcome you with open arms.
  • schleyschley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Advanced Members Posts: 1,092 ✭✭
    I didn't know anyone, directly at one of my clubs but after looking through the directory I found a couple people didn't realize they were members. If I couldn't find them I would have been OK with the membership director setting up interviews with some membership committee people to handle the sponsorship.

My other club only needed 1 referral as he was on the board.

I have been thinking of maybe trying to join another club as an international/national member, but I'm not back in the US enough to justify it quite honestly. It would be a great place to play for sure, but the cost would be really wreckless for what I would get out of it. Down the road I can figure it out when I have a better idea of where to retire to dialed in (AZ/CA/FL). Leaning to AZ.
  • schleyschley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Advanced Members Posts: 1,092 ✭✭
    BTW I played at an elite club in NJ (not PV), where you needed 7 members who knew you for more than 5 years apparently. Obviously they are full and have a waitlist.
  • WestCoastHackerWestCoastHacker Advanced Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Bluefan75 wrote:

az2au wrote:

You're going about it all wrong. You need figure out if T. Boone Pickens is a member, then when he is at some conference, try to stalk him in an elevator and ask him to sponsor you.That is your key to success.

haha, this reference is reaching back a few years...
    915D2 (10.5)
    915F 3w
    913H (19) - Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY
    Titleist AP3 4-PW - Project X 6.5
    Vokey SM7 (50, 54 & 60)
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 (2012)
  • az2auaz2au Advanced Members Posts: 1,745 ✭✭
    Bluefan75 wrote:

az2au wrote:

My fee for this advice will be a round at the club when you are fully joined. image/rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' />

image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> great call back.
  • tanker44tanker44 Advanced Members Posts: 238
    If you are already a member of a notable club where you are moving from you should ask your Membership person to initiate a meeting on your behalf. If that isn't an option post the name of the club here and see what people know. For example, you want in Burning Tree in Bethesda I can tell you its virtually impossible. I also know guys at Pablo Creek in Jacksonville FL. In my opinion you have a better shot of getting in the Illuminati then a membership at a club like these with no contacts.
    Titleist TS2
    Titleist TS3 15*
    Titleist 818H 19*
    Callaway X Forged 4/PW
    Callaway MD4 Raw 52/56/60
    Ping Anser Cadence CB
  • Bluefan75Bluefan75 Advanced Members Posts: 3,849 ✭✭
    az2au said:
    Bluefan75 wrote:

az2au wrote:

image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> great call back.
    I figured you would get the reference, but you can never be sure. 
    Should have doubled my fee....     :-)