Protecting a putter

ChopsticksChopsticks Members Posts: 10 ✭✭
I have to admit, I use to never protect my putter in any way... yes, even with a head cover. But recently, I’ve been admiring Putters, so much that I got 2 customs putter in a DLC finish and also bought an original Tei3. I have mutilple headcover for each putter for when I use them but my question is, what should I use, if any, oils to protect my putters from rusting and stripping the paint??? I’ve heard of Putter Butter but I can’t seem to find any in Canada.

Comments

• PutterProPutterPro ClubWRX Posts: 78 ClubWRX
    Putter Butter can purchased through golfworks.ca! Other oils to help protect would be baby oil or gun oil. Good luck taking care of those beauties :-)
  • rt301rt301 Members Posts: 13 ✭✭
    I use baby oil. But I’ve also heard of some people using a silicone spray.

• JoelsimJoelsim Posts: 700 ✭✭
    edited Mar 18, 2019 6:25am #4
    Just spray with WD40 every 5 rounds or so, leave on for a couple of minutes then wipe with some kitchen roll.

Never leave a raw putter in a wet headcover, so if it’s been raining take the headcover off when you get home and dry it before replacing the putter in it for storage.

This is what I do with my Bettinardi and it works a treat.
    Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Regular Alta CB 44.5”
    TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver 13.5 Regular Diamana F Ltd
    Titleist 818 H1 18 3-Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Titleist 818 H1 23 4-Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW Regular Alta (#4 at power spec loft)
    Ping G410 SW Regular Alta
    Cleveland CBX 52
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 64 S
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 2017
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #2 2019
    Odyssey O-Works Marxman
    Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line
  • shredNECTARshredNECTAR Members Posts: 119 ✭✭
    I can second the WD40. Works like a charm
  • ChopsticksChopsticks Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

@Joelsim said:
    Just spray with WD40 every 5 rounds or so, leave on for a couple of minutes then wipe with some kitchen roll.

Never leave a raw putter in a wet headcover, so if it’s been raining take the headcover off when you get home and dry it before replacing the putter in it for storage.

This is what I do with my Bettinardi and it works a treat.

I’ve heard that WD40 might remove a finish, have you noticed any paint discolouration on your putters? Are your putters refinished?

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,074 ✭✭

For raw carbon I used to use gun oil. Now use motor oil. Just use a conventional 10w30 etc , not used , new , motor oil. Just dip end of a cloth in it and wipe in liberally. Either leave on thicker or gently buff off. Adds a shine like nothing else and last longer than anything. Only downside is it will attract small particles of dust and hair etc. repels water like nothing else though.

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • golfluvzmegolfluvzme Members Posts: 2,717 ✭✭

Take the time and order some Eezox, from eezox.com. You want the liquid gun care product in the 4 or 6 oz can, I cannot recall exact size. It is the size of the old 3 in 1 Oil that Mom used to keep in her sewing machine kit.
    It goes on with a rag and a Q-Tip to get into the nooks and crannies, then it dries. A dry protectant does not attract new dirt, dust and grime, like you will get using motor oil.
    There is a thread with a head to head test program done years ago over at PutterTalk.com. I believe it is in the Byron Morgan section, but it may be in the general putter subjects. Do a search for Eezox over there and you'll find it.
    It is the ONLY aftermarket protectant that I recommend and I am far from alone. In the world of firearms, there is nothing superior to Eezox for collectors who store guns and only bring them out a couple times a year.
    Just one Mann's opinion,
    LaMont in AZ

• noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,608 ✭✭

Do not use WD40, it will soften your paintfill! Silicone spray like CRC Heavy Duty spray will do the trick. I use it on my wife’s 2007 My Girl that we had refinished in black oxide.

Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 115 Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X 
    Taylormade TP5
  • Mr. HoganMr. Hogan Posts: 1,293 ✭✭
    edited Mar 29, 2019 7:29am #10

@golfluvzme said:
    Take the time and order some Eezox, from eezox.com. You want the liquid gun care product in the 4 or 6 oz can, I cannot recall exact size. It is the size of the old 3 in 1 Oil that Mom used to keep in her sewing machine kit.
    It goes on with a rag and a Q-Tip to get into the nooks and crannies, then it dries. A dry protectant does not attract new dirt, dust and grime, like you will get using motor oil.
    There is a thread with a head to head test program done years ago over at PutterTalk.com. I believe it is in the Byron Morgan section, but it may be in the general putter subjects. Do a search for Eezox over there and you'll find it.
    It is the ONLY aftermarket protectant that I recommend and I am far from alone. In the world of firearms, there is nothing superior to Eezox for collectors who store guns and only bring them out a couple times a year.
    Just one Mann's opinion,
    LaMont in AZ

^^^^^^^^^^This man knows what he's talking about.

Don't use baby oil--it will preserve the putter finish but will also pick up lots of dust and debris.

USGA - Unusually Stupid Governance Association