Protecting a putter

Chopsticks ·  
ChopsticksChopsticks  13WRX Points: 13Handicap: 15Members Posts: 13 Bunkers
I have to admit, I use to never protect my putter in any way... yes, even with a head cover. But recently, I’ve been admiring Putters, so much that I got 2 customs putter in a DLC finish and also bought an original Tei3. I have mutilple headcover for each putter for when I use them but my question is, what should I use, if any, oils to protect my putters from rusting and stripping the paint??? I’ve heard of Putter Butter but I can’t seem to find any in Canada.
Posted:

Comments

• PutterProPutterPro  93WRX Points: 17Handicap: 1ClubWRX Posts: 93 ClubWRX
    Putter Butter can purchased through golfworks.ca! Other oils to help protect would be baby oil or gun oil. Good luck taking care of those beauties :-)
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • rt301rt301  17WRX Points: 45Members Posts: 17 Bunkers
    I use baby oil. But I’ve also heard of some people using a silicone spray.

Posted:
  • JoelsimJoelsim  1362WRX Points: 491Handicap: 12Members Posts: 1,362 Platinum Tees
    Just spray with WD40 every 5 rounds or so, leave on for a couple of minutes then wipe with some kitchen roll.

Never leave a raw putter in a wet headcover, so if it’s been raining take the headcover off when you get home and dry it before replacing the putter in it for storage.

This is what I do with my Bettinardi and it works a treat.
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Fairway: Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff and TaylorMade M6 3 Wood
    Utility: Wilson Staff Model Utility #3 Regular KBS
    Hybrid: Titleist TS2 21* Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Irons: Ping G410 5-PW (#5 at power spec loft)
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 50 and 54 Rotex 
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac),  Cleveland Huntington Beach #10 (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Forza (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).
  • shredNECTARshredNECTAR  148WRX Points: 61Handicap: 11Members Posts: 148 Fairways
    I can second the WD40. Works like a charm
    Posted:
  • ChopsticksChopsticks  13WRX Points: 13Handicap: 15Members Posts: 13 Bunkers

On -, @Joelsim said:

Just spray with WD40 every 5 rounds or so, leave on for a couple of minutes then wipe with some kitchen roll.

Never leave a raw putter in a wet headcover, so if it’s been raining take the headcover off when you get home and dry it before replacing the putter in it for storage.

This is what I do with my Bettinardi and it works a treat.

I’ve heard that WD40 might remove a finish, have you noticed any paint discolouration on your putters? Are your putters refinished?

Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 30201WRX Points: 6,555Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 30,201 Titanium Tees

For raw carbon I used to use gun oil. Now use motor oil. Just use a conventional 10w30 etc , not used , new , motor oil. Just dip end of a cloth in it and wipe in liberally. Either leave on thicker or gently buff off. Adds a shine like nothing else and last longer than anything. Only downside is it will attract small particles of dust and hair etc. repels water like nothing else though.

Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • golfluvzmegolfluvzme  2737WRX Points: 227Members Posts: 2,737 Titanium Tees

Take the time and order some Eezox, from eezox.com. You want the liquid gun care product in the 4 or 6 oz can, I cannot recall exact size. It is the size of the old 3 in 1 Oil that Mom used to keep in her sewing machine kit.
    It goes on with a rag and a Q-Tip to get into the nooks and crannies, then it dries. A dry protectant does not attract new dirt, dust and grime, like you will get using motor oil.
    There is a thread with a head to head test program done years ago over at PutterTalk.com. I believe it is in the Byron Morgan section, but it may be in the general putter subjects. Do a search for Eezox over there and you'll find it.
    It is the ONLY aftermarket protectant that I recommend and I am far from alone. In the world of firearms, there is nothing superior to Eezox for collectors who store guns and only bring them out a couple times a year.
    Just one Mann's opinion,
    LaMont in AZ

Posted:
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 3153WRX Points: 539Handicap: 8.3Members Posts: 3,153 Titanium Tees

Do not use WD40, it will soften your paintfill! Silicone spray like CRC Heavy Duty spray will do the trick. I use it on my wife’s 2007 My Girl that we had refinished in black oxide.

Posted:

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik SZ 10.5° driver Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Diamana ZF 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° hybrid MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex

Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

Callaway Chrome Soft X 

• Chachi2Chachi2  1874WRX Points: 1,289Handicap: 69Members Posts: 1,874 Platinum Tees

On -, @golfluvzme said:

Take the time and order some Eezox, from eezox.com. You want the liquid gun care product in the 4 or 6 oz can, I cannot recall exact size. It is the size of the old 3 in 1 Oil that Mom used to keep in her sewing machine kit.
    It goes on with a rag and a Q-Tip to get into the nooks and crannies, then it dries. A dry protectant does not attract new dirt, dust and grime, like you will get using motor oil.
    There is a thread with a head to head test program done years ago over at PutterTalk.com. I believe it is in the Byron Morgan section, but it may be in the general putter subjects. Do a search for Eezox over there and you'll find it.
    It is the ONLY aftermarket protectant that I recommend and I am far from alone. In the world of firearms, there is nothing superior to Eezox for collectors who store guns and only bring them out a couple times a year.
    Just one Mann's opinion,
    LaMont in AZ

^^^^^^^^^^This man knows what he's talking about.

Don't use baby oil--it will preserve the putter finish but will also pick up lots of dust and debris.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.