Something about the Bridgestone Tour B XS just throws me off

King_SlenderKing_Slender Members Posts: 1,431 ✭✭
I've always been a Pro V1 X player and have been experimenting with some other balls this year, namely the new Taylor Made TP5 and the Bridgestone Tour B XS. While I don't like the TM logo, the ball plays/looks similarly enough to the Pro V1 that I could make that switch.



But in playing the Bridgestone, the ball just throws me off visually, that I can't play it without it affecting my game. The "dimple within a dimple" is kind of distracting, but I think my main issue is that, despite being a urethane cover like the Pro V1 and TM, there is more of a glossiness to it, that make me think it's going to be "clicky" like a surlyn cover (if that's even a thing any more).



Anyone else try out other golf balls that just throw you off visually?

Comments

  • AC168AC168 Members Posts: 828 ✭✭
    The “B” on the Bridgestone takes some getting used to.
  • KGilmaKGilma Members Posts: 119 ✭✭
    The dimples are interesting, but its a **** good ball. It's all I've been playing, lately. And, I can tell its my ball with that big "B" from a good ways away.
    Cobra King F9 9* 
    Ping G 3 stretch 13*
    Cobra King F6 Baffler 5w 17.5*
    Cobra King Utility 3/4 21*
    Cobra King F6 irons 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56*
    Scotty Newport 2
  • kcd38kcd38 Members Posts: 270 ClubWRX
    it looks different but if you didn't look at it and hit a mixed back between the tour b xs and the 17/19 pro v 1, I doubt most could tell a difference.



    It has the most greenside control of any ball I've tested the past year
    WITB:
    Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
    3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, Ping Tour 75 S
    Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tensei CK Blue 80 HY or Taylormade P790 UDI, HZRDUS Black 6.0
    4-PW - Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4 iron, Mizuno MP 18 SC 5-PW, KBS C Taper 130 x
    Wedges - Vokey SM7 52 F, 56 F, 60 D (bent to 51, 55)
    Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • GHIN n JuiceGHIN n Juice Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten Members Posts: 1,667 ✭✭
    kcd38 wrote:


    it looks different but if you didn't look at it and hit a mixed back between the tour b xs and the 17/19 pro v 1, I doubt most could tell a difference.



    It has the most greenside control of any ball I've tested the past year




    The B XS has more green side spin than the ProV? I may have to take another look at Bridgestone. I played the old B330 S but they fell out of favor when compared to the 2018 ProV.
    Callaway Rogue 9.0*
    Taylormade 2016 M2 16.5* fairway wood
    Mizuno JPX 900 3 and 4 hybrids
    Mizuno MP-55 irons 5-P
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #7
    Cleveland RTX 4 wedges 50*, 54* and 58*
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,040 ✭✭
    UofU02 wrote:

    kcd38 wrote:


    it looks different but if you didn't look at it and hit a mixed back between the tour b xs and the 17/19 pro v 1, I doubt most could tell a difference.



    It has the most greenside control of any ball I've tested the past year




    The B XS has more green side spin than the ProV? I may have to take another look at Bridgestone. I played the old B330 S but they fell out of favor when compared to the 2018 ProV.




    Yes it does. Bsx has most greenside spin I’ve ever played.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers Posts: 64 ✭✭

    UofU02 wrote:

    kcd38 wrote:


    it looks different but if you didn't look at it and hit a mixed back between the tour b xs and the 17/19 pro v 1, I doubt most could tell a difference.



    It has the most greenside control of any ball I've tested the past year




    The B XS has more green side spin than the ProV? I may have to take another look at Bridgestone. I played the old B330 S but they fell out of favor when compared to the 2018 ProV.




    Yes it does. Bsx has most greenside spin I've ever played.




    How firm are they? I play a Chrome Soft and want something a bit clickier.
  • Arlin964Arlin964 Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited Mar 13, 2019 1:21pm #8
    B XS definitely feels firmer than the Chrome Soft. I hit both this weekend and I preferred the “heavier, firmer” feel of the B XS. I also felt like the chrome soft was a bit more errant off the driver. At least for me - someone who struggles with good impact location on driver. Out to in path plus low heel impact is not a recipe for success.
    TaylorMade R1 10.5*
    Ping Anser 3w
    Callaway Rogue X - 3h, 4h, 5h
    Nickent 6DX - 6-PW
    Wilson Staff PMP 50*
    Cleveland CBX 56*
    Odyssey #7s O-Works
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,891 ✭✭
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:4956568]
    Pings from the beginning

    OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • Make that three of us that think the B XS provides more spin around the green. I would even say a more predictable spin. it reacts the same way every time. I was a long time Pro V1 player, still like the 2017 model. But I tried the B XS last year on a dare. Absolutely love it. It provides good distance, drives do not balloon on me like Pro V1, and I can maneuver with the irons, instead of just straight. And, the best news, I can now game the B XS in Optic Yellow! Just purchased four dozen for price of three. Now I will have the B XS and in Yellow. Putts good in Yellow too! This is the perfect ball for my 100 MPH driver swing.
  • Arlin964Arlin964 Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited Mar 13, 2019 4:37pm #11
    I really enjoyed the B XS this weekend. Drives went pretty straight and it flew well off my irons, even with really gusty winds.



    I loved it off the putter. I like a heavier feel off my putter so I get some feedback. For example, trying to putt a Wilson 50 Elite felt like I was trying to put a ping pong ball. I had no feel with it whatsoever. That being said, I like a firmer ball to putt with.



    The online fitting tool says I belong best with the B RX. I might test these two against each other.
    TaylorMade R1 10.5*
    Ping Anser 3w
    Callaway Rogue X - 3h, 4h, 5h
    Nickent 6DX - 6-PW
    Wilson Staff PMP 50*
    Cleveland CBX 56*
    Odyssey #7s O-Works
  • jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Cheers guys. Had an unexpected refund so will get the B XS! I previously played the B330 years ago but made a switch because I was losing quite a bit of distance from memory.
  • DLBTide7DLBTide7 Birmingham, ALMembers Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited Mar 13, 2019 9:13pm #13
    I did extensive testing and found that the XS is perfect for me. I am a low spin player, so I obviously like the spin factor. Long off the driver. Drop and stop on approaches and feels great off the putter.



    The “B” is no more distracting than any logo (to me).
    PXG Gen2 XF Driver
    PXG Gen2 X 3 metal
    PXG Gen2 17 degree hybrid
    PXG Gen2 XF Irons, 4-Gap
    PXG milled wedges, 56 and 60
    PXG Mustang putter
  • Arlin964Arlin964 Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    DLBTide7 wrote:


    I did extensive testing and found that the XS is perfect for me. I am a low spin player, so I obviously like the spin factor. Long off the driver. Drop and stop on approaches and feels great off the putter.



    The “B” is no more distracting than any logo (to me).




    I had a mental hurdle with the B logo just because I didn’t like it. It’s funny how easily that hurdle came down after I played that ball so well.
    TaylorMade R1 10.5*
    Ping Anser 3w
    Callaway Rogue X - 3h, 4h, 5h
    Nickent 6DX - 6-PW
    Wilson Staff PMP 50*
    Cleveland CBX 56*
    Odyssey #7s O-Works
  • DLBTide7DLBTide7 Birmingham, ALMembers Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Arlin964 wrote:

    DLBTide7 wrote:


    I did extensive testing and found that the XS is perfect for me. I am a low spin player, so I obviously like the spin factor. Long off the driver. Drop and stop on approaches and feels great off the putter.



    The “B” is no more distracting than any logo (to me).




    I had a mental hurdle with the B logo just because I didn’t like it. It’s funny how easily that hurdle came down after I played that ball so well.




    Always funny how that works !!
    PXG Gen2 XF Driver
    PXG Gen2 X 3 metal
    PXG Gen2 17 degree hybrid
    PXG Gen2 XF Irons, 4-Gap
    PXG milled wedges, 56 and 60
    PXG Mustang putter
  • jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers Posts: 64 ✭✭

    My B XS came in today. Picked up the Tiger versions as they were £5/doz cheaper than the non-Tiger versions. Basically just have his name stamped on the ball. I'll draw my putter line across it and nobody will ever know! I'm playing this weekend so will put it up against my 2018 Chrome Softs and report back.

  • jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers Posts: 64 ✭✭

    @jonnymc44 said:
    My B XS came in today. Picked up the Tiger versions as they were £5/doz cheaper than the non-Tiger versions. Basically just have his name stamped on the ball. I'll draw my putter line across it and nobody will ever know! I'm playing this weekend so will put it up against my 2018 Chrome Softs and report back.

    Now I have them in hand I actually quite like the B. Very distinguishable between Bridgestones and other balls.

  • kcd38kcd38 Members Posts: 270 ClubWRX

    I love to put with no alignment, so I put the 'B' toward the front of the ball. That way when I look at the ball its all white, but I can tell how well i struck it by how the 'B' appears when it rolls

    WITB:
    Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
    3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, Ping Tour 75 S
    Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tensei CK Blue 80 HY or Taylormade P790 UDI, HZRDUS Black 6.0
    4-PW - Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4 iron, Mizuno MP 18 SC 5-PW, KBS C Taper 130 x
    Wedges - Vokey SM7 52 F, 56 F, 60 D (bent to 51, 55)
    Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • BankerBanker Members Posts: 1,057 ✭✭

    The xs is the best putting ball I’ve played & it feels awesome around the green. I couldn’t control it with any kind of wind though. I don’t consider myself a high spin player either.

    M1 10.5*
    RBZ Stage 2 14*
    Adams Idea Pro 18*
    Ping I25 3-UW
    Ping Tour S 54* & 60*
    Piretti CW II
  • jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers Posts: 64 ✭✭

    I played the XS today. Preferred the firm feel way more than my Chrome Soft. Loved the response on my irons and it stopped dead on our firm greens. Still pretty chilly here in the UK so not getting normal distances but the driver was carrying very well. Wind play was good too. I play on the top of a hill so the wind picks up quickly. Played the same ball all round and didn't scuff up at all, even from a 15yd bunker shot (spun back to within a foot of the hole).
    Will definitely be putting it in play this year. Probably my new favourite ball.

Sign In or Register to comment.