My Experience Gaming Blades as a Mid-High Handicapper

Andus

Hey guys, I know there are a lot of WRXers that absolutely love the look of blades but are a bit scared to actually consider playing with them (I was one of those people too a year ago).

A few months ago, I decided to buy a Mizuno combo set. I'm gaming 4-6 MP-18 SC, and 7-PW MP-18 MB. All of them have Modus 3 120 X flex shafts. To be honest, I almost wish I went 4-PW in the MB because I don't find the SC to be any more forgiving than the MB, however the feel is on par I'd say. My swing speed with driver is about 110MPH and with a 7 iron is around 93MPH.

I was a pretty decent ball striker but my handicap was awfully high due to my short game (putting & within 50 yards). I am a complete sucker for looks & feel, and those two attributes are probably most important to me when choosing clubs to play. With that said, the switch from GI irons to blades has been amazing for me. I personally don't buy into the whole "forgiveness" thing too much. Sure, a big fat hunk of metal with much more toe weighting might help you pull a few more yards out of a mishit, but the reality is, regardless of the iron you're playing the shot is going to be a bad shot whether you get 5 extra yards or not. Nevertheless, these irons have helped me find the middle of the club more often than not and best of all have inspired me to play golf even more. Every time I see these irons in my golf bag, I can't help myself put to go pull one out and just admire the beauty (I know, I'm a loser).

Anyway, my point in writing this is to hopefully inspire somebody else on the fence about blades to give them a try. If you have any other specific questions, ask away!

TaylorMade SIM 10.5* - HZRDUS "Hulk" PVD Green 70 6.0

TaylorMade SIM Max 15* - GD AD-DI 7x

Callaway Mavrik Pro 20* Hybrid - GD AD-DI 85x

TaylorMade P770 4-5 - Project X 6.0

TaylorMade P7MC 6-PW - Project X 6.0

Mizuno T20 50*, 55*, 60* - TI S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Pro V1x

Plenty 'O Swing Speed for using MBs. :good: That combo and the feel it is when you flush the shot will keep you in them, not your scores from what I gathered.

Similar, being Mid to High HC, lesser SS - but I am migrating away (from forged MBs) for now as I gain on 60 for just a touch of easy factor. I will hold onto one set of MB blades that I've always played in my Callaway Razr MBs - just pure smooth thud thru the ball!

MP 18 MB is likely the tops for that kinda feel in the current lines out from many posts here over the past year or so....

Alot of the low HC players will talk "working the ball" factor for MBs - I am not one that needed to find one portion of the green to land on, but I must always play my draw with irons. I do see a touch less draw so far with just 1 month into my TM M5 set, and lighter shafts than I played in MBs - but no dealbreaker.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

We get this topic frequently and I have to say I disagree. "Good" ball striking is a very relative term depending on what you are looking to get out of your game. If you find enjoyment out of that perfectly struck shot from a blade that's awesome, but to sluff off forgiveness between MBs and CBs is really painting with a broad brush. I don't know what your handicap is (you only said mid-high), but I am not sure you know what consistently finding the center of the club is. I don't think I do either. A round of golf for most anyone, save the top players in the world, is about consistency and quality of mis-hits. Losing 5 yards on a mis-hit shot is the difference between being on the green and off, or in a bunker, or in a water hazard. You said that your short game was weak. That weakness is going to be magnified by missed greens and further distance from the hole.

The bottom line is you can do whatever you wish with your game, but more than likely playing blades is costing you strokes.

Titleist TSi2 10* Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TS2 16* Diamana S+ 60X 
Taylormade Rescue 22* Aldila XVS9
Titleist T100S TT Dynalite Sensicore X100 4-PW
Vokey SM5 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

Glad you like them, but as the poster above said whether you realize it or not on your mishits it's costing you strokes. Whether it's 2 or 8 or round, it is.

With that said, I AGREE with you in respect to 'knowing where you're hitting the ball' due to not having a fat shovel of a club. I also moved down to 'players GI' clubs (CF16) with smaller heads and 'less' help than an SGI club and I very much enjoy knowing when I suck and when I'm doing well.

Lots of people playing golf with SGI clubs think they play well, when in reality they dont and they are quite off center on 90% of their hits, but the club is helping them.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

We get this topic frequently and I have to say I disagree. "Good" ball striking is a very relative term depending on what you are looking to get out of your game. If you find enjoyment out of that perfectly struck shot from a blade that's awesome, but to sluff off forgiveness between MBs and CBs is really painting with a broad brush. I don't know what your handicap is (you only said mid-high), but I am not sure you know what consistently finding the center of the club is. I don't think I do either. A round of golf for most anyone, save the top players in the world, is about consistency and quality of mis-hits. Losing 5 yards on a mis-hit shot is the difference between being on the green and off, or in a bunker, or in a water hazard. You said that your short game was weak. That weakness is going to be magnified by missed greens and further distance from the hole.

The bottom line is you can do whatever you wish with your game, but more than likely playing blades is costing you strokes.

My handicap is currently 15.4. When I bought the irons, it was 17.5. I came from a set of JPX 900 HM irons, which are certainly considered GI irons. When I hit a shot off the toe, it felt awful and I lost distance/accuracy & the same exact thing happens with these clubs. Is it maybe a bit worse of a shot than it would have otherwise been if I had the Hot Metals? Sure, but is the look, feel, and every aspect of the MP-18 worth it in my opinion? No doubt. Currently, I play golf for ENJOYMENT not to get my handicap as close to 0 as possible. Maybe that's where our differing opinions come into play?

Bottom line for me is that forgiveness is a word that's overused and abused in golf and I think a lot of people believe certain things that simply aren't true or are majorly exaggerated.

Pro V1x

The Post could be redone with a feel & looks test amongst all HCs for comparing current MB forged vs. GI or SGI cast sets.

The winner on those two factors alone will be a dominant "yes!" to choose MBs after say 10 balls off grass with shaft de jour.

The Ball doesn't know or care what size or looks of iron hits it and I have found mostly only WRXers look at clubs in the bag out on the course of play.....keep the MP 18 MBs for this season - we gotta keep ourselves in this game with many factors influencing us.

I get sh#t on for saying I am walking courses in summer +100deg. heat as somewhat of a workout replacement - damn them, I got shot knees from 36 years of running!

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

If you like them - then awesome

i was a big blade guy for years and am now working in GI and SGI stuff into the mix

I only find GI irons to be tough off of super firm conditions

One thing to remember and tour guys are the same. Everyone hits their good shots good. It's the quality of your misses that determines scoring and wins

5-8 yards short and right could be on the green with a SGI .. odds are par is easier from there

Good luck

Side note: this is especially true with modern drivers as well, Got quite a lesson on Trackman at PING ystdy with Rapture OG vs 400 LST

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

My handicap is currently 15.4. When I bought the irons, it was 17.5. I came from a set of JPX 900 HM irons, which are certainly considered GI irons. When I hit a shot off the toe, it felt awful and I lost distance/accuracy & the same exact thing happens with these clubs. Is it maybe a bit worse of a shot than it would have otherwise been if I had the Hot Metals? Sure, but is the look, feel, and every aspect of the MP-18 worth it in my opinion? No doubt. Currently, I play golf for ENJOYMENT not to get my handicap as close to 0 as possible. Maybe that's where our differing opinions come into play?

Bottom line for me is that forgiveness is a word that's overused and abused in golf and I think a lot of people believe certain things that simply aren't true or are majorly exaggerated.

There is nothing wrong with playing whatever clubs you most enjoy playing. The irons you have are fantastic and definitely beautiful, but I don't think they are going to help you with scoring which is the only thing we disagreed on from your first post. You placed blame on short game for your handicap but I only contend that the clubs are definitely a contributing factor. As Cardoustie said, it's the quality of the misses that determine scoring.

Titleist TSi2 10* Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TS2 16* Diamana S+ 60X 
Taylormade Rescue 22* Aldila XVS9
Titleist T100S TT Dynalite Sensicore X100 4-PW
Vokey SM5 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

Play them and enjoy them. I don't think they will cause your game any problems. If anything, it may sharpen your ball striking. The mid-high handicappers I've ever played with don't hit any GIR anyway, other than with 8 iron and shorter.

Hit em good

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

Play whatever you enjoy playing. This will encourage you to practice/play more, and that will make you better more than the clubs.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

I'm in the same boat, although my HC a little lower, speeds a little higher on good days.

TLDR; hasn't affected my scoring and in fact I think it helps especially from the rough. Shot one of my best 9 hole rounds late last year with clubs most guys say shouldn't belong in my hands. Do I get punished sometimes? Yes. But the looks, feel and overall confidence I have in them more than makes up for that IMO.

I'm considering going with Apex Pro this year because in two rounds of testing, I was seeing as much as 7mph more ball speed out of them, which was kind of crazy. Gaining a full club of distance, keep the good looks/feel AND keeping consistent distance off the face would be incredible. It's the 3rd point that would take some long term testing to see.

OP, Keep gaming them and work on your chipping and putting. Odds are you will miss at least 60% of your greens or more, so getting up and down green side is massive. This is my plan this year...I'm spending about 80% of my time at my local range doing 10-15 yard chips, and then putting on my matt at home. Other 20% will be speed training and working on the full swing.

@OP, beautiful irons!!! Practice, play, and enjoy!!!

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

OP, Keep gaming them and work on your chipping and putting. Odds are you will miss at least 60% of your greens or more, so getting up and down green side is massive. This is my plan this year...I'm spending about 80% of my time at my local range doing 10-15 yard chips, and then putting on my matt at home. Other 20% will be speed training and working on the full swing.

Agree. Play what you enjoy. But also track all of your shots and be honest with yourself in determining what factor(s) are really driving your handicap up or down. If it's not the irons, play blades, but get after that weak spot in your game so you'll enjoy the sport even more.

There is nothing wrong with playing blades if they simply bring more enjoyment to your game. Whether thats because you like the way the feel/look at address, or because you just like being "able" to play blades. But, if you get more enjoyment out of shooting you best score then you may want to consider making a change. Like people above have pointed out, you'll just hit more greens with a GI or players GI club then you will with blades. If score isn't really important to you, by all means keep playing the blades. They will give you a hell of a lot of feedback about your strike and maybe you'll even learn to find the middle of the face more often because of it. Most importantly enjoy golf! They are a pretty set of sticks!

Blades are nice. I've played them for many years and my last set were the Nike blades. That was back when I really played and hovered around a 5. After a long hiatus from the game, due to injury and just lack of time, I dusted off my Nike blades and started playing again. After a half a year, I played myself back to a 12 and honestly was pretty happy.

When I decided to finally to hang up my Nikes blades, I focused on getting another set. I honed in on the Nike VR blades but thought, why play them if I don't have to, but I liked the aesthetics. I ended up with a set of Nike Vapor Pro Combos. Blade like feel but with forgiveness and I got myself back to single digits in no time. My toe shots suddenly became right center strikes and still got good results. I was missing greens left or right instead of short left or short right. If you don't absolutely pure a blade, you'll be scrambling.

I drive a classic car. It's not that fast, not that comfortable, doesn't have cupholders. But I enjoy it.

Enjoy those blades. It's recreation.

This made me laugh, but I COMPLETELY agree. Love it.
  • Like 1

Pro V1x

I did Titleist MB 3-Pw last year and just switched over to the CB. I couldn't be happier. I grew sick of living on the edge and wanted to free myself up to practice other things.

Then again, if the longest blade you have is a 7i, you're not really on the edge to begin with... ;)

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I’m a 26 hcp in my 2nd season. SS with 7i is 85-87 mph. I loved my Maltby DBM Forged but just recently put my first set back in the bag- Mizuno MP-33, 4-PW. I absolutely LOVE the direct feedback I’m getting, and surprisingly, I’m just as long with the 2 degrees weaker loft. In part due to me practicing a lot and getting better at hitting that sweet spot more regularly.

I’ve been playing the guitar for over 25 years and when I started out, I decided to use thicker strings to train my fingers- this is comparable to using blades early on. Lots of sweat and tears, but worth it in the end.

The one revelation I had when I came back to the MP-33 a month ago: on the course, they are a different animal than on the range with mats. The cut through the grass so effortlessly, it makes a difference to me and my strikes.

At hcp 26, I have a lot to learn (I shoot between 90 and 110). So it doesn’t bother me when I mishit an iron- I do that anyway. The feeling of a pure shot is so addicting that currently, I can not imagine going back. That said, the 4/5i are not easy to hit, but it’s coming.

To anyone with a comparable hcp, give it a try- if you want honest feedback and are willing to improve. I’m not taking shortcuts- I wanna be good at this game. I love my Mizunos.

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

You know what will improve your game? Enjoy the game as much as you can and in doing so, you'll find that working on your game is not really work. If you're playing clubs that you enjoy more, you'll naturally improve because you like golf more. And this will, by far, override any equipment differences that may or may not be "objectively" present (within the normal bounds of mainstream equipment that is reasonably well fit.)

I'm in your corner....lower hdcp but much slower speed.....not a fan of big,bulky, offset irons...had PXG combo set with a big regret getting the P heads....tons of offset and thick soled....wish I had gotten the Tour head....now I'm rotating iblade by Ping and Adams XTD FORGED....neither are pure blades but they present like blades with some added help....

The key is having a shaft that fits YOUR swing on some level of consistency....even as inconsistent as we are.

Interesting to me is what is considered the definition of a "good ball striker"?

I think a lot of recreational players simply define it as someone who hits a decent amount of solidly struck shots.

That may not be entirely inaccurate, but I think most Tour pros would define a good ball striker as a player who hits >65% of GIRs and has control of his golf ball...trajectory, shot shape, and precise distances.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

My two cents...About a year ago, I was going through a rough spell where I was hitting everything off the toe and coming up short of the green. I went to Golf Galaxy and tried a few different irons that are "more forgiving" and guess what? When I hit the toe, I came up short. What happens when you hit it fat on the course? You come up short. What about when you hit the hosel? FORE RIGHT!

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Losing 5 yards on a mis-hit shot is the difference between being on the green and off, or in a bunker, or in a water hazard. You said that your short game was weak. That weakness is going to be magnified by missed greens and further distance from the hole.

I think blades look gorgeous and all being equal I would have 2-LW in bladed irons on that basis.

Last weekend, playing a six iron to a par three, I put the ball 6 ft short of the pin. The shot felt a little hard but trajectory was good and results excellent. I looked at the club face instinctively, and being wet a perfectly round ball imprint was left as high on the toe as a ball could be.

I showed my partner who said if that had been a set of Wilson staff blades (showing our age - he meant the 80s version) id have been deep in the bushes 40 yards short. He's right. Each to their own, but GI technology really does bring results, despite it not always making sense.

but is the look, feel, and every aspect of the MP-18 worth it in my opinion? No doubt. Currently, I play golf for ENJOYMENT not to get my handicap as close to 0 as possible. Maybe that's where our differing opinions come into play?

Can't argue with this.

I came from a set of JPX 900 HM irons, which are certainly considered GI irons. When I hit a shot off the toe, it felt awful and I lost distance/accuracy & the same exact thing happens with these clubs. Is it maybe a bit worse of a shot than it would have otherwise been if I had the Hot Metals? Sure,

I was going to say that your last sentence contradicted what you wrote earlier but "majorly exaggerated" saved it, as this term is open to debate. Generally, I'm with the others that say if there's a club out there that saves you a few yards on slight mishits, it all adds up helping scores over time (which maybe you don't care about). Carry a bunker/hazard, better chance of two-putting, etc.

I can't debate the value of looks / feel for any individual, and changing from a style of club you've used for years can be tough. But I think the main problem is most mid-handicap players only remember the extremes; flushed shots that are perfect and swings so bad no club could save the shot. No one vividly remembers the slight mishit that ends up 30 feet away instead of 40 feet away, and now two putting is easier. But at the mid-handicap level, I'd argue slight mishits are the most common occurrence on the course. For me, I have roughly 36 full swings per round, and I mishit (to some degree) more than 1/2 of them. If this wasn't true, I'd be averaging 8+ fairways and 9+ greens per round but I don't.

Being a 15.4 handicap due to short game and putting is borderline impossible. The math doesn’t work, unless your home course is Augusta or you consistently 4 putt / take multiple shots in the green complex to hit the green on multiple holes per round.

That said, play whatever you find fun! It’s recreation. But you show me a 15 who thinks he/she’s got a good long game and I’ll show you a golfer who isn’t very self-aware.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Play whatever you’d like, and have a great time with them, but understand that not buying into “the whole forgiveness thing” doesn’t change the fact that “the whole forgiveness thing” is real, because, you know, science.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft