ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Buddy trip to Scottsdale

moadhiamoadhia Advanced Members Posts: 274 ✭✭
Planning a golf trip with friends to Scottsdale,AZ. We will be there on Saturday and Sunday in April. We are currently planning to play the two TPC courses and two We-ko-pa courses.

Any recommended companies to call to help us organize the rounds and get decent accommodation? Or should we book the rounds and accommodations ourselves ?

Comments

• NCgolf135NCgolf135 Members Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Personally I'd skip the TPC courses for Grayhawk or Troon but if you're dead set on playing the stadium course then so be it. TPCs are still good, just think some of the others are better and give more value. Wekopa is great. No idea if there's a company that would work best, when I went we did an air bnb and then booked the rounds ourselves. Playing 36 at one place usually they have a decent deal.
  • John KreeseJohn Kreese Advanced Members Posts: 562 ✭✭
    Wekopa is awesome. I haven't played TPC Stadium, but Champions course was a big disappointment and not worth the money. For what you guys are spending I would consider Troon.

Haven't used "Meridian", but I've heard they have good packages.
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 Advanced Members Posts: 2,749 ✭✭
    Book yourself, you do not need anyone to book for you...you would be just paying extra money for no reason.

If you want, you can send me some $ and I will get you sorted! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • e-mane-man Advanced Members Posts: 2,041 ✭✭
    Troon is excellent. I actually prefer monument over pinnacle but both are great. Greyhawk is just fine in my opinion. Play 36 at troon and 36 at wekopa and you're all set.
  • UTace10UTace10 Advanced Members Posts: 202 ✭✭
    Stadium is a must play- champions is forgettable. Quintero is really fun and great views.
  • ChancemanChanceman Advanced Members Posts: 529 ✭✭
    Try Meridian for a decent condo (we had a 3 room place near TPC which was quite OK) and they can also help with tee times.
  • moadhiamoadhia Advanced Members Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice folks. We decided to book ourselves as that was significantly cheaper. Going to play TPC (for the experience) and WeKoPa . Might squeeze in one extra round at troon or greyhawk on Friday
  • TK3TK3 TK3 Advanced Members Posts: 221
    edited March 13
    WeKoPa is a no brainer. I am not a fan of the TPC course...bad experience with conditioning last time we played. But I'm sure it's in great shape now - just call before to make sure. And by all means, book it yourself!

One of my personal favorites is Talking Stick North, a Coore/Crenshaw design and it is just perfect.

Either way, enjoy! image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
    My set-up:
    Bag - Sun Mountain MPB
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX with Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff
    3 Wood - Ryoma F3
    Hybrid - Rocketballz 3 hybrid
    Irons - JDM Titleist VG3 4-PW irons with Nippon Modus 3 shafts
    Wedges - Ping Glide 50* / 54* / 58*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron GoLo 33"
    Shoes - Nike Air Zoom Accurate
    Ball - Srixon Z Star
  • mci711mci711 Advanced Members Posts: 897 ✭✭
    UTace10 wrote:

Stadium is a must play- champions is forgettable. Quintero is really fun and great views.

Stadium is a must play one time and only the month leading up to the tournament. If the stands are down already then you might as well skip it. We-ko-pa are must plays. I would put Southern Dunes as the 2nd best public course in the area after Seguro.
  • Kuhndogg8Kuhndogg8 Members Posts: 35 ✭✭
    mci711 wrote:

UTace10 wrote:

Stadium is a must play one time and only the month leading up to the tournament. If the stands are down already then you might as well skip it. We-ko-pa are must plays. I would put Southern Dunes as the 2nd best public course in the area after Seguro.

This is 100% accurate.
  • Tbone32Tbone32 Members Posts: 4
    Kuhndogg8 wrote:

mci711 wrote:

UTace10 wrote:

This is 100% accurate.

I was just there last week and played(in the order I would replay them)

Quintero (Fantastic! Loved how it was cut into the mountains and the views were great. I thought the fairways were pretty generous. Can't wait to play again)

Wickenburg Ranch (Easily the best shape out of the 6 courses I played down there. Great shape and great course. Highly recommend although is a ways of a drive but well worth it)

Southern Dunes (In the second best shape behind Wickenburg. Loved the course and layout. Lots of sand but more room than it appears off the tee. Was the cheapest of the group I played but it is a ways out there)

Golf Club at Dove Mountain (Used to host the Accenture Match-Play. Really liked it. May have been the hardest of the 6 I played. Bring your game)

We-Ko-Pa -- Seguaro (I liked it as I usually do with Crenshaw-Coore designs, but wasn't blown away like I thought I would be. Was very busy and slow)

Troon North -- Monument (Kind of disappointed to be honest. The back 9 had sweet views and all but the front wasn't anything great and it was in probably the worst shape of the 6 I played. Won't rush back and it was the most expensive)

Those are just my thoughts. To each their own. In the grand scheme all 6 are good courses. Some I was more blown away than others. I have played TPC Stadium and Grayhawk in previous trips and liked those as well. I personally would play the TPC Stadium just to check it off the "bucket list" but that is just me. Enjoy wherever you decide to play!
    Tbone32 wrote:

Kuhndogg8 wrote:

mci711 wrote:

UTace10 wrote:

This is 100% accurate.

Quintero (Fantastic! Loved how it was cut into the mountains and the views were great. I thought the fairways were pretty generous. Can't wait to play again)

Wickenburg Ranch (Easily the best shape out of the 6 courses I played down there. Great shape and great course. Highly recommend although is a ways of a drive but well worth it)

Southern Dunes (In the second best shape behind Wickenburg. Loved the course and layout. Lots of sand but more room than it appears off the tee. Was the cheapest of the group I played but it is a ways out there)

Golf Club at Dove Mountain (Used to host the Accenture Match-Play. Really liked it. May have been the hardest of the 6 I played. Bring your game)

We-Ko-Pa -- Seguaro (I liked it as I usually do with Crenshaw-Coore designs, but wasn't blown away like I thought I would be. Was very busy and slow)

Troon North -- Monument (Kind of disappointed to be honest. The back 9 had sweet views and all but the front wasn't anything great and it was in probably the worst shape of the 6 I played. Won't rush back and it was the most expensive)

Those are just my thoughts. To each their own. In the grand scheme all 6 are good courses. Some I was more blown away than others. I have played TPC Stadium and Grayhawk in previous trips and liked those as well. I personally would play the TPC Stadium just to check it off the "bucket list" but that is just me. Enjoy wherever you decide to play!

Troon North is so overrated. I played it a few years back and will never pay their greens fees to play it again. I need to get to Wickenburg Ranch.
  • Tbone32Tbone32 Members Posts: 4
    mci711 wrote:

Tbone32 wrote:

Kuhndogg8 wrote:

mci711 wrote:

UTace10 wrote:

This is 100% accurate.

Troon North is so overrated. I played it a few years back and will never pay their greens fees to play it again. I need to get to Wickenburg Ranch.

Yes, I do agree. Is it still a nice course in the grand scheme of things, sure. But way overpriced. I don't see myself going back anytime soon. Go play Wickenburg. I promise you'll love it! It is fantastic and like I mentioned, in phenomenal shape! My only regret is being short on time and not getting to play Lil' Wick the par 3 course. I've heard that is awesome too!
    moadhia wrote:

Thanks for all the advice folks. We decided to book ourselves as that was significantly cheaper. Going to play TPC (for the experience) and WeKoPa . Might squeeze in one extra round at troon or greyhawk on Friday

Are you playing TPC Champions or Stadium? Just asking because we booked and played Champions under the same premise - "just for the experience" - and it was not worth it. They go out of their way to make sure you don't get the same experience when playing the Champions course.

Champions is a completely separate facility (across the street). Not that it isn't nice, but there's no "experience" to be had - no sit-down restaurant (just a turn window), they have you hitting off of mats instead of grass at the range, and course is just average.

moadhia wrote:

Are you playing TPC Champions or Stadium? Just asking because we booked and played Champions under the same premise - "just for the experience" - and it was not worth it. They go out of their way to make sure you don't get the same experience when playing the Champions course.

Champions is a completely separate facility (across the street). Not that it isn't nice, but there's no "experience" to be had - no sit-down restaurant (just a turn window), they have you hitting off of mats instead of grass at the range, and course is just average.

Isn't the experience playing the stadium course...with the stadium up?
  • az2auaz2au Advanced Members Posts: 1,745 ✭✭

moadhia wrote:

Honestly, unless you're just playing Stadium with the stands up for the experience it isn't too much different across the street. I could make a pretty strong argument that Champions is actually a better course but both are simply average. Neither are in the top 20 public courses in the area.
    az2au wrote:

moadhia wrote:

Honestly, unless you're just playing Stadium with the stands up for the experience it isn't too much different across the street. I could make a pretty strong argument that Champions is actually a better course but both are simply average. Neither are in the top 20 public courses in the area.

Good to know. In that case TPC wouldn't worth it either way. Played Papago on the same trip and the greens were lightning. Across the board way better "experience" there than TPC.
    mci711 wrote:

moadhia wrote:

I guess my definition of experience would include more than just the stadium aspect, like a great course, greens, clubhouse, service, food etc.
  • DrSchteeveDrSchteeve Advanced Members Posts: 3,368 ✭✭

mci711 wrote:

moadhia wrote:

I guess my definition of experience would include more than just the stadium aspect, like a great course, greens, clubhouse, service, food etc.

That’s definitely not TPC
    Callaway Epic Driver Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
    Callaway Epic 3+ wood Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
    Titleist 818 H1 18* and 21* Tensei Blue
    Titleist 818 H1 25* and 27* Tensei Red
    Titleist 818 AP1 7-SW Tensei Red
    Vokey SM4 58* M Kuro Kage
    TM Spider Tour
    OUUL stand bag
    Titleist Velocity
  • moadhiamoadhia Advanced Members Posts: 274 ✭✭

moadhia wrote:

We are playing both courses on the same day. We are doing it mostly for the Stadium course.
  • ChancemanChanceman Advanced Members Posts: 529 ✭✭
    Wickenberg is excellent - we drove in across the desert from LA so it was just a small detour but well worth it. Its one course I would make sure to play again next trip. And also play Lil Wick as well - I like good par 3 courses, they keep you sharp.