ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

My Car Is Slow - The thread of your car's quirks

vaca22vaca22 Commander In BeefAdvanced Members Posts: 652 ✭✭
edited March 12 in The 19th Hole
I have a 2005 Mazda 3, which I had special ordered in April of 2005. This car has had ZERO problems. It is the epitome of reliability.

However...it is slow.

165hp 5-speed which I'm sure has lost some OOMPH over the years. I have no idea how quickly I can get it to 60 but I'm sure it's not "quickly".

My beloved 3 has a flip-up Nav that hasn't worked in 7 years. There is rust on the rear wheels. It sometimes sounds like a 30's rig when the engine turns...

BUT...it's mine.

This car will run until the wheels fall off. 256,859 miles currently. I'm convinced it's one of the higher mileage 3's around.

What is unique or special about your car?

Comments

• MtlJeffMtlJeff The GOAT Advanced Members Posts: 27,949 ✭✭
    edited March 12
    I've never owned fast cars either.... I find it kind of funny that my current car, a milquetoast Chevy Equinox, actually has the fastest tested 0-60 time of any car I've owned.
    Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV 65
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Advanced Members Posts: 16,480 ✭✭
    First (still only I think) EV vehicle to have a multi speed transmission
  • Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 Go Green Advanced Members Posts: 4,259 ✭✭
    My "old man's" whip is a Chrysler T & C minivan with 120K+ miles on it. Most assuredly there's nothing special about it. Other than it can haul 4 people and 4 bags of clubs to the golf course with ease. And I can lower the rear seats if I need to haul some 4x8 sheets of plywood home. And can take the entire Mrs. collection along on a road trip. Other than that.......it's very boring. Going to drive it till it pukes.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs
  • copperjeffcopperjeff Advanced Members Posts: 913 ✭✭
    Second owner of an 05 kia sorento with 313,000 on it. Bought it for $400 and have put over 70k miles on it. Best car buy ever!
    Golfing Ginger
    So glad I picked an outside activity...
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff The GOAT Advanced Members Posts: 27,949 ✭✭
    copperjeff wrote:

Second owner of an 05 kia sorento with 313,000 on it. Bought it for $400 and have put over 70k miles on it. Best car buy ever!

400$ for 70K miles!!!!!

that car cost you half a cent per mile!
    Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV 65
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • WrigglesWriggles Advanced Members Posts: 3,134 ✭✭
    I've owned a 1985 Chrysler LeBaron convertible since 2012. Little old lady owned, it spent most of its life in Fort Myers, Fl. A nice little car, trying to mimic a Mercedes SL, but very slow at under 100 hp.

I've only had one other slow car, a 1984 base Camaro bought new, with the v-6. It was better on the highway, due to an overdrive transmission. 70+ mph was a cinch. The Lebaron, with the 3 speed Torqueflite, would probably redline under 70. Would not try it.
  • highergr0undhighergr0und Advanced Members Posts: 10,131 ✭✭
    Drove a jeep for 10 years. It was noisy, slow, lacked most modern conveniences but it was awesome. Couldn't beat a nice day with the doors and top off driving around town. Or heading into the woods for a little getaway and 4-wheeling. Finally gave it up when kid #3 was on the way. Now I have a Ram truck that is fairly fast with the hemi, at least compared to the jeep, and is totally loaded with convenience features. Not sure I could go back to something so basic any more. I will get another jeep at some point, but it'll be strictly for nice days and weekends in the woods.
  • moegolfer11moegolfer11 steal your face right off your head Advanced Members Posts: 2,183 ✭✭
    I bang my head on the door frame almost once a week...I should've known that a being tall and owning a coupe are not a good mix. Thankfully I'll be getting a new car this summer...although I do loathe car shopping.
    Taylormade M2 10.5° Graphite Design AD-BB 7x
    Titleist 913 FD 15° Diamana 'Ahina 70x
    Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron Accra 110i
    Titleist 716 MB 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 52° 56° 60° S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx
    Scotty Cameron Newport Teryllium Sole Stamp
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Advanced Members Posts: 691
    Our two cars (sub-50,000 miles) are unremarkable considering your epic milestone of 250,000+ miles. I would just keep driving that car 'till it gives up the ghost. Just curious . . . do you use full synthetic oil and how many miles before you change it?
  • vaca22vaca22 Commander In Beef Advanced Members Posts: 652 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    ohioglfr wrote:

Our two cars (sub-50,000 miles) are unremarkable considering your epic milestone of 250,000+ miles. I would just keep driving that car 'till it gives up the ghost. Just curious . . . do you use full synthetic oil and how many miles before you change it?

Okay, so many of you won't like this...

I took meticulous care of this vehicle for the first 6 years of its life; regular oil changes at 5k mile intervals (roughly), regular cleanings and annual detailings, also full service records in a binder in chronological order. I had the luxury of having garage space to do this at that time. When I moved I lost the garage, and everything just went flying out the window.

Just last night I saw the windshield sticker reminding me of my next oil change - 236,410 miles. That hasn't happened. I'm 256k+ currently and know full well that I need to handle this. I was going at least 10k miles between changes from 2011 to about 2016. AT LEAST.

I used to only use conventional oil, but in the last few years whenever I've needed to top off I've been using synthetic blends. Maybe someone can confirm this, but I think the conventional wisdom was that you couldn't use synthetic on a motor that didn't specifically indicate it, but now it doesn't matter and supposedly synthetic is better in virtually all cases.

The car slowly burns oil now which is why I do the topping off.
  • padgetpadget Advanced Members Posts: 561 ✭✭
    vaca22 wrote:

ohioglfr wrote:

Okay, so many of you won't like this...

I took meticulous care of this vehicle for the first 6 years of its life; regular oil changes at 5k mile intervals (roughly), regular cleanings and annual detailings, also full service records in a binder in chronological order. I had the luxury of having garage space to do this at that time. When I moved I lost the garage, and everything just went flying out the window.

Just last night I saw the windshield sticker reminding me of my next oil change - 236,410 miles. That hasn't happened. I'm 256k+ currently and know full well that I need to handle this. I was going at least 10k miles between changes from 2011 to about 2016. AT LEAST.

I used to only use conventional oil, but in the last few years whenever I've needed to top off I've been using synthetic blends. Maybe someone can confirm this, but I think the conventional wisdom was that you couldn't use synthetic on a motor that didn't specifically indicate it, but now it doesn't matter and supposedly synthetic is better in virtually all cases.

The car slowly burns oil now which is why I do the topping off.

Yeah may want to get on that lol.

I used to sell cars and worked with a guy over the course of several months on a mustang deal. Nice guy, was some sort of military instructor, maybe a little off upstairs but super nice and cordial. He finally bought one and about 8 months in he called and said the engine was knocking and I told to bring it in to be checked out. He had put about 12000 miles on it and never changed the oil!! The guy was honest and said he never changed it, was busy and didn’t think it was going to be a big deal. I was just a sales guy, I tried getting the service dept and our sales dept to help the guy out but there was not much I could do. The service writer had already put these notes in the system which pretty much terminated any warranty he had. I felt gutted for the guy, he had bought the car brand new. Our service dept could have definitely handled it much better but by the book they weren’t exactly wrong. The dealership said there was nothing they could do, as they didn’t want to buy his car back for any number to put on the used lot. I finally pulled him aside and told him to get his oil changed somewhere else and if the knocking persisted, try a different dealership for warranty work.

I still cringe thinking about that. Change your oil.
  • tatertottatertot Advanced Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭
    My 09 VW Jetta has made high pitched whirling noise for the last 70K miles ... but it starts, runs and it's paid for. What more can you ask for.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Advanced Members Posts: 691
    If it’s burning oil, later you’ll be fouling plugs, let alone smoking. I’d list it in Craigslist or a local college newspaper. You more than got your money’s worth.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,728 ClubWRX
    Now my wife has a Subaru I feel a sense of having given up on life a little bit.

Wrangler top going down at first chance this spring!