ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Ping Driver rattle

DREEVES3210DREEVES3210 Members Posts: 4
I still game a Ping Anser driver and love it. The other day mid swing that removable cap shot off and I actually hit it on my backswing. I ordered a new one aftermarket on the bay but now my club has a massive rattle in the head. I haven't gotten the replacement cap yet so I'm just playing it with a hole in the club but I still cant get over the rattle because its not the cap that is doing it...

Just wondering if anyone on here has had a similar problem or has any solution, I assume that this wouldn't be covered by Ping at this point.

Thanks!

Comments

• Sh00terMcgavinSh00terMcgavin Advanced Members Posts: 282
    Not sure what you mean by cap. Are you referring to the weight in the back port on the sole? There might be some debris in the head after the weight fell out. May also have a very tin like sound since the inside of the club is now exposed. Only will know after you get the weight put back in.

You're probably correct in assuming PING won't do much about it since the driver came out 6+ years ago.
    Ping G400 Accra TZ6M5
    TEE EX10 Beta but searching
    Callaway Apex UT 21*
    Mizuno MP5
    Vokey
    Spider

Tp5x
  • DREEVES3210DREEVES3210 Members Posts: 4
    Yes, I’m referring to the weight, sorry. When I replace it with the new one should I put some type of glue on it before **** it in?
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 2,084 ClubWRX

Yes, I’m referring to the weight, sorry. When I replace it with the new one should I put some type of glue on it before **** it in?

I wouldn’t assume you need to on the new one. Put it in and test it. May never fly out again. Old one could have been loose and you did not know. Swing it a few times and check it. If the threads are stripped or an issue of it continually working loose, guys who had that issue with the Cobra LTD port just used a bead of Loc-tite on it and sealed it in.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • Sh00terMcgavinSh00terMcgavin Advanced Members Posts: 282

Yes, I'm referring to the weight, sorry. When I replace it with the new one should I put some type of glue on it before **** it in?

Don't be sorry! we all come here to learn more. No glue needed. I would just try to clean out the head and threads with maybe some light compressed air. Maybe some good hard blows if you dont have compressed air. Just tighten down with the torque wrench. The rattle is most likely a loose impediment in the head. After you get the weight in and secure, follow up with this thread and let us know.
    Ping G400 Accra TZ6M5
    TEE EX10 Beta but searching
    Callaway Apex UT 21*
    Mizuno MP5
    Vokey
    Spider

Tp5x
    Will do guys. Thanks for the quick feedback, cheers!
    Alright so I was in the area and ran by my local golf shop. Since the weight in the back is missing and the shaft **** was tightened properly they said they think that the weight actually broke and half of it went into the driver head it rattles some but doesn’t rattle every time you shake it. Basically it still has epoxy on it so it sticks to the inside wall of my driver. Other than it being an annoyance it isn’t really hurting anything so I guess I’m gonna keep gaming it until it breaks because I swing it very consistently.
  • bamagolfbamagolf Advanced Members Posts: 158 ✭✭

I still game a Ping Anser driver and love it. The other day mid swing that removable cap shot off and I actually hit it on my backswing. I ordered a new one aftermarket on the bay but now my club has a massive rattle in the head. I haven't gotten the replacement cap yet so I'm just playing it with a hole in the club but I still cant get over the rattle because its not the cap that is doing it...

Just wondering if anyone on here has had a similar problem or has any solution, I assume that this wouldn't be covered by Ping at this point.

Thanks!

If there’s ever been a legit reason to upgrade, this is it!
    Bag 1:
    Ping G400 LST 10* (set at 9*)
    Callaway GBB Heavenwood
    Callaway XR OS 6H
    Ping G410 5-LW
    Ping Eye 2 L
    TM Spider X 35"
  • Terry GoldTerry Gold Advanced Members Posts: 472 ✭✭

Alright so I was in the area and ran by my local golf shop. Since the weight in the back is missing and the shaft **** was tightened properly they said they think that the weight actually broke and half of it went into the driver head it rattles some but doesn't rattle every time you shake it. Basically it still has epoxy on it so it sticks to the inside wall of my driver. Other than it being an annoyance it isn't really hurting anything so I guess I'm gonna keep gaming it until it breaks because I swing it very consistently.

Was going to post to say basically that. I had the same inconsistent rattle with my i20 driver few years back and it turned out to be loose epoxy. For better or worse, the internal face plate cracked soon thereafter and Ping sent me a new one.