Age of First Lesson?

What age did you get your kid their first lesson? Ours are showing more interest but we don't want to start them too soon where they hate it. Their attention span also comes and goes with the wind. Curious what you have had the most success with!

Comments

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,017 ✭✭
    edited Mar 13, 2019 11:59am #2

What age did you get your kid their first lesson? Ours are showing more interest but we don't want to start them too soon where they hate it. Their attention span also comes and goes with the wind. Curious what you have had the most success with!

If a kid can concentrate and like's playing golf I think there ready for lessons. Nothing wrong with a kid as young as 3 taking lessons if they can handle it. We did a few lessons with my youngest when she was 3 or 4 years and when I say few perhaps maybe a 30 minute session every few months.

For us it worked out well because quite frankly young kids will not listen to their parents but having lessons made it fun for her to hit balls. I only did 30 minutes and just had the instructor work on basics.

Having said this I don't believe in pushing a regimented schedule for a 3 or 4 year old. Some people do and that is just crazy. She is now 8 and only recently we started doing a schedule for her to practice golf. We still have done a few tournaments but the emphases was just have fun and never about how well she does. The sad part of golf with kids is many time the only time they can play with other kids their age is if you do tournaments.

I've seen people push their kids and do really well in wining tournaments. In my case I let my kid play play with her barbies if she wanted to skip practice when she was 5 an 6. I know I could have pushed my youngest and she would have done well like pretty much any kid that is pushed at that age but honestly I think that nuts for very young kids. My emphases has been for her to learn why golf is fun in the first place. You have to push your kids but there is a time and place to for it.
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 828 ✭✭

At 5-6 years old my kid was in a golf academy. There were about 8 kids and they met 1/week. Early on, it can be good to get the basics/fundamentals for the kids from an instructor. We stopped the academy when he was approaching 7 years old. We'll probably start taking lessons with a coach one-on-one when he is 10 years old. If you know anything about golf and the golf swing (or can read up on it), you can keep your kid having fun with golf at the young ages.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,782 ClubWRX
    Lessons started as an early 6 yr old and took about 8 with two different coaches. Haven't had another lesson since, but hope to start with a new coach later this year for some touch ups.
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Posts: 280 ✭✭
    edited Mar 13, 2019 12:53pm #5
    Similar - I think 5 lessons at age 5 (30 minutes each), a couple at age 7 and none since, until this last winter (age 10), where we had a few video analysis done by coaches bc I needed advice on how to identify the correct cause and the best way to think about correcting that cause to achieve a desired effect. Will likely stay this video route over the winter until 13-14.

I always tell my friends with kids interested in golf that a pack of 30 minute private lessons is better than an 8 week academy-style clinic, so long as the parent is there to practice what’s being taught in each lesson.
  • CenCalGolferCenCalGolfer Posts: 112 ✭✭
    My 3 year old(4 in May) is interested in golf, and were going to have him do a First Tee Little Linksters Camp this summer. He'll go to the range with me occasionally but always asks to go with me when I golf. But I go early in the AM.

Its a 6 week camp this summer. Between that and swim lessons, and preschool, I'm sure **** have a great summer. But if he really likes it and does a good job and wants to do more, then we will assess our options.
    TaylorMade M5 9* Hzrdus Smoke 70g X-Stiff
    TaylorMade M6 3w Hzrdus Smoke 70g X-Stiff
    Nike Vapor Speed 3 Hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff
    TaylorMade P760 KBS C-Taper 4-AW X-Stiff +1/2"
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Chrome 56*
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Chrome 60*
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35"
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 209 ✭✭
    Started at 7 when I saw how well one of the PGA Professionals at his Jr. League worked with the kids and haven't looked back since. My son and his coach have a Yoda/Luke relationship and he looks forward to their 30 minutes a week together as his favorite activity. It all primarily depends on if your child is ready. Let it be their idea and make sure they truly want too. Secondly, find a coach who is good with kids. They can be the greatest instructor on the planet for adults and not know how to take that instruction and make it palatable for a child. Best of luck!
    Dad's Bag

Driver: Ping G30 10 degree, Aldila Reg Flex
    3W, and 7W: Cleveland Black, Bassara, Lite Flex
    5i - PW: Titleist AP1 716, DG XP90 Reg Flex
    W: 48 Cleveland Rotex 3
    W: 52 Cleveland Rotex 2
    W: 56 Vokey SM6 F Grind
    P: TP Mills Flat-T Proto
    Ball: Srixon Q-Star

Son's Bag (9 years old)
    Driver: Callaway XR16, Flynn Shaft (Set to 15.5)
    3W: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 19.5)
    4H: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 25)
    5i-PW: US Kids Tour Series TS2
    W: 52, 56 degree US Kids Tour Series TS2
    P: Nike Oven MC-07W Prototype
    Ball: Wilson Duo Soft/Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
  • LUMALUMA I Am My Greatest Downfall Jax Beaches, FL.Posts: 2,368 ✭✭
    I dont have kids, yet... but I first picked up a club around 6 and I remember my first lesson was around 8. I remember that it was a group lesson and the coach would give everyone else a bunch of attention and direction then come back to me and go, "great, very nice mikey. Keep that up". Didnt learn anything lol.
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge
    Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
    Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
    Titleist 718 MB PW-4i / Project X 6.0 
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5