ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Best Pen to mark your balls with

ThewaythatgoesThewaythatgoes I hit good shots sometimesMembers Posts: 310
I am currently playing on the tour in Asia and the wetness and humidity sure do a toll on the mark I put on my ball. Sharpies don’t seem to stay on longer then a couple holes. Any one have any idea what would last a little longer? Thanks !
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

Comments

• FergusonFerguson Advanced Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭
    There is a product called the "sharpie industrial." Grainger sells them.
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Advanced Members Posts: 2,253 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:

There is a product called the "sharpie industrial." Grainger sells them.

They work great. Available at Walmart, Lowe’s and Home Depot, too.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X - Copper / Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
  • sui generissui generis Advanced Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭
    edited March 13

I am currently playing on the tour in Asia and the wetness and humidity sure do a toll on the mark I put on my ball. Sharpies don’t seem to stay on longer then a couple holes. Any one have any idea what would last a little longer? Thanks !

Some say that if the mark is placed on the ball ahead of time it may last longer. "Ahead of time" isn't specified, but it may be a matter of days or a week or two. Try it . . . mark up a couple of boxes of balls a week ahead of play and see if it helps.

Also, there is a Sharpie version called eXtreme. Worth a try.
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • Jason mJason m Advanced Members Posts: 184 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    Following lol, i just bought a fine point sharpie and a marking tool yesterday. Good things i never have a ball past a few holes haaaaaaaa

Cuz i lose them not that i switch em out i should add
  • MaximilianMaximilian Advanced Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭
    I use those ball marker stamps. Have one with a red heart and another with a red cat (I'm super confident about my masculinity image/tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />). They don't necessarily last longer than a sharpie, but I add tons of them all around the ball so there's always a few marks left when the round is over. Only takes a couple sekonds to stamp each ball.
  • davep043davep043 Advanced Members Posts: 2,949 ✭✭
    There's always the old fashioned way. Use your pencil, and "drill" a tiny hole into a dimple or 2. The little hole never goes away, but doesn't effect the ball flight. This is what we did before we had Sharpies.
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 1,963 ClubWRX
    For regular Sharpies, it's been my experience that blue lasts longer than any of the other colors.
    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Pro White 60 S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-760 3, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade P-770 4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade RSi TP 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60 (58), DG S400
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
  • MattM97MattM97 Advanced Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    I've found for regular sharpie red seems to last the longest or at least the hardest to remove from a ball.
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: << Testing in Progress >>
    ulAVttu.png - F7 3W - 15.5D - Tensei Blue 60S
    0kZapzq.png- 816 H1 - 21 - Diamana S+ 70R
    Tghg11i.jpg - Z585 4-7 / Z785 8-PW - AMT White Tour S300
    Wedges:
    • cKIO92v.png- MD3 - 51
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide 2.0 Stealth - 56
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide - 60

Putter: q8m5K5T.png - E-3
    taylormade-small.jpg - TP5x or urp3gG8.png - MTB Red
    LhHjFh3.png - Pioneer
  • sirukumasirukuma Advanced Members Posts: 238 ✭✭
    If you want something tougher than ink markers, try a paint marker like Dykem Dalo markers. I'm sure you can find them on the web. Used to use them on a former job for marking steel beams etc and once tried it on a few balls. Once dried - it's not coming off thru pretty much anything.
  • wfrogge1wfrogge1 Advanced Members Posts: 1,183 ✭✭
    davep043 wrote:

There's always the old fashioned way. Use your pencil, and "drill" a tiny hole into a dimple or 2. The little hole never goes away, but doesn't effect the ball flight. This is what we did before we had Sharpies.

Sharpies came out in the 60s
  • QuasimotoQuasimoto Advanced Members Posts: 849 ✭✭
    Milwaukee tools sells a sharpie that will write on oily steel, wet wood, and dirty floors in a shop.

I have used them with good success because the ink stays on for the whole round.
    Srixon 785 9.5 HC HZRDUS 6.0 / Cobra F9 9 HZRDUS Smoke
    Titleist TS3 13.5 75g S EvenFlo
    Taylormade GAPR Hi 3,4,5 70g KBS R
    Srixon z785 6-AW Nippon Tour 105 R
    Titleist SM7 54 & 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7, Evenroll #5
    TM TP5, Titleist AVX
  • sandman7sandman7 Members Posts: 15
    Sharpie and others make an “acrylic paint pen” which works awesome. Paint really never comes off.

They sell them at craft stores.
  • Higgs66Higgs66 Members Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Sharpie.. let the ink dry. I have ball marks on some old practice/shag bag balls that have been there for 30 years.
  • davep043davep043 Advanced Members Posts: 2,949 ✭✭
    wfrogge1 wrote:

davep043 wrote:

Sharpies came out in the 60s

I can't say I remember Sharpies as a brand, but I do remember Magic Markers. Even so, we marked golf balls with a golf pencil, rotating the pencil so it drilled a tiny hole into the balata cover. The little holes never went away.
  • JAMH03JAMH03 Advanced Members Posts: 112 ✭✭
    Interesting topic. Enjoyed all the answers about "super industrial" Sharpies and the idea to make a small indentation with the pencil.

To the OP I'm not sure what your status on tour is but Congrats and best of luck making your dreams come true Please keep us updated!!!

Few years back when Tiger Woods followed me coming over to Bridgestone even though he had less time in, we just let him get his golf balls personalized it was a relatively small expense but he felt good about it and now when I hit one a little less than perfect and he finds his golf ball in my neighborhood he can tell his golf balls from mine no problem. image/cool.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(cool)' />

Maybe your company can oblige you as well?

Screen-Shot-2018-01-26-at-10.44.05-623x500.png
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif] Comparisons are odious. [/font]
  • sampga1976sampga1976 PGA Professional Advanced Members Posts: 596 ✭✭

Sharpie EXTREME markers. I think it's the same as the "industrial" black marker but the Extreme markers usually are purchased as a pack of all the colors. The marks may still smudge, but the line will last, and last, and last...
    [font=georgia,serif]Titleist[/font]
    [font=georgia, serif]TS3 9.5º on A1 - Attas COOOL 6X[/font]
    [font=georgia, serif]TS3 16.5º on D1 - [/font][font=georgia, serif]Attas COOOL 7X[/font]
    [font=georgia, serif]818 H2 21º on D1 - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5[/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]718 AP3 - 4i thru P - Modus 120 X (2º weak)[/font]

[font=georgia, serif]Vokey[/font]
    [font=georgia, serif]SM7 50.12F[/font][font=georgia, serif] - [/font][font=georgia, serif]Modus 120 X[/font]
    [font=georgia, serif]SM7 54.14F[/font][font=georgia, serif] - [/font][font=georgia, serif]Modus 125 Wedge [/font]
    [font=georgia, serif]SM7 60.12D [/font][font=georgia, serif]- [/font][font=georgia, serif]Modus 125 Wedge [/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Scotty Cameron
    FTUO Super Rat - 350g - 34.5"[/font]
  • MitchellGolfingMitchellGolfing Advanced Members Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    Plain Jane blue sharpie works just fine for me.
    Callaway Xr 9* set to 11*, Project X 6.0
    Adams Tightlies 16*,Stock stiff
    Wilson Reflex 4-G Uniflex stock steel
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 54/58* Wedge flex
    Ping Anser 33” Superstroke 3.0
  • Golo62Golo62 Members Posts: 3
    Marki Golf Ball Pen.  Works well!
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Advanced Members Posts: 991 ✭✭
    Golo62 said:
    Marki Golf Ball Pen.  Works well!
    This is what I primarily use with sharpie being my backup 
  • BYKBYK Advanced Members Posts: 1,566 ✭✭