ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Wedges: Spin or Height?

GolfChannelGolfChannel Advanced Members Posts: 1,581 ✭✭
Which would you rather have with a wedge, all else being equal (carry distance, dispersion, feel):

1. 500 more rpms of spin

2. Two more degrees of launch and height
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: He who shall not be named...[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hybrid: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 816H1 21 Degree w/Accra 182H M3[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Irons: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wedges: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7 [/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ball: Callaway ChromeSoft 2018 (Yellow)[/font]

Comments

• LaymanMLaymanM Advanced Members Posts: 1,966 ✭✭
    500 more spin if all else is equal. I like my wedges lower in flight.
    PING G400 Max 9*, Adidla Rogue Max 75x
    Callaway 815 Alpha 3W and 5W Speeder 665 stiff
    Srixon U65 4, Modus 105s
    Srixon Z785 5-PW Modus 120s
    Edel DVR 50, s200
    SM7 54F / 58K
    SC Studio Style Newport 2
  • NWS AlpineNWS Alpine Advanced Members Posts: 2,608 ✭✭
    The flight should be lower with more spin. If you are launching higher with the same loft then you are missing out on spin.
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Advanced Members Posts: 1,581 ✭✭
    So, if you were given these numbers with the same carry distance which would you choose for a 50 Degree Gap Wedge:

8800 & 31.5 degrees of launch

9300 & 29.2 degrees of launch
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hybrid: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 816H1 21 Degree w/Accra 182H M3[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Irons: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wedges: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ball: Callaway ChromeSoft 2018 (Yellow)[/font]
  • ani5009ani5009 Advanced Members Posts: 292 ✭✭
    I would go for more spin and a lower flight as well. I don't have any issues getting the ball in the air, but any extra stopping power on the greens would be hard to pass up.
    TM M2 2017 9.5*
    TM M2 3HL 16.5*
    TM P790 3 iron
    Ping iBlade 4-PW
    Mizuno MP T-5 50.07 54.08 58.08
    Bettinardi BB-01
  • SoloShot84SoloShot84 Advanced Members Posts: 297 ✭✭
    edited March 14

So, if you were given these numbers with the same carry distance which would you choose for a 50 Degree Gap Wedge:

what would be the apex and decent angle for each?
  • arbeckarbeck SeattleAdvanced Members Posts: 313 ✭✭

You need more information. What is the ball speed? If the higher spin shot has more ball speed, it might actually get just as high as the other ball. What are their peak heights? What is the descent angle? What is the standard deviation of the launch and spin? You might want the higher average spin with lower launch, but if the standard deviation is 500PRM and the standard deviation for the other club is 100RPM, it might make more sense to pick that one because you always know what you are going to get from the club.

Then I really need to consider what the characteristics are on not full shots. My PW is the last club that I almost always hit full. I want to make sure my half and quarter swings with the GW fit in with distances I get with my lob wedge
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaAdvanced Members Posts: 2,555 ✭✭
    Everything else being equal, I’ll take the extra launch and height. 500 rpm isn’t going to be a difference maker.
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 105 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Pro V1
  • LUMALUMA I Am My Greatest Downfall Advanced Members Posts: 2,337 ✭✭
    Spin spin spin! I like to hit them in low and biting!
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge
    Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
    Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
    Titleist 718 MB PW-4i / Project X 6.0 
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
  • MaximilianMaximilian Advanced Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭
    I also prefer lower flight, higher spinning pitches.
  • TKSTKS Advanced Members Posts: 184 ✭✭
    What ball, what type of pin placement?

The important thing is being to get both via your swing.

Lawn darts are always preferred.
    All Wishon, all the time:
    919THI 11* Black Driver, Red Shaft - S
    919F/D, Black Shaft
    775 18* hyb, Interflexx Shaft
    590 4iron, Black hybd Shaft
    5-SW Sterlings S300's
    PCF Micro 58*
    S2R #5 putter Double Bend Shaft
    Softer Urethane balls - too many to list
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Advanced Members Posts: 1,137 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    NWS Alpine wrote:

The flight should be lower with more spin. If you are launching higher with the same loft then you are missing out on spin.

Ed Snell, who started his own golf ball company, talks about this in his video clips. He suggests that:
    • Due to advances in ball core design, distance balls don't really go much further than spin balls.
    • On wedge shots, the wedge face will grab the softer urethane cover spin balls better, producing a lower launch and higher spin.

Snell Golf Overview: https://www.youtube....4&v=vLnuHJ0xLvM

Snell Talks Golf Balls (for 22 minutes): https://www.youtube....h?v=qPsW482jvOM

(And yes, shaft dynamics also influence launch.)
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 95 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10 / KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
    I will go in next week and get the additional numbers everyone thinks is useful information.

That said, ball speed was essentially the same. The higher launch produced a higher shot overall by a few feet, but still gave the same carry as the higher spinning wedge. Distance was the same including carry.
  • stormbringerstormbringer Stormbringer UtahMembers Posts: 38 ✭✭
    I will take the spin, lower flight and the tighter dispersion that comes with the lower flight.
    Driver  G400 Max 9.75 Ping Tour 65 Stiff
    3 Wood  Rapture 13 Ping TFC 949 Stiff
    5 Wood  Mashie 18 Miyazaki C Kua Stiff
    Hybrid  Karsten 4 Hybrid Ping KS 401 Stiff
    Irons   IE1 4-U Red Dot KBS Tour 105 X
    Wedges Renegar RX14 54 KBS Wedge, Renegar RX12 60 KBS Wedge
    Putter Bobby Grace A** Kicker Putter 37" Super Stroke Plus XL Counter Balanced
    Ball  Taylormade TP5
  • kiw1982kiw1982 Advanced Members Posts: 1,102 ✭✭
    I will take 50% tighter dispersion.lol
    Mizuno        ST-180 Driver w/KuroKage HBP 50 X
    Taylormade  M6 3 Wood w/NV 2KXV Blue 75 X
    Mizuno        CLK 3 Hybrid w/Tensei CK Blue 80H X
    Taylormade  P790 4-G Irons w/KBS tour 130 X
    Mizuno        T7 56/10 Wedgew/KBS tour 130 X
    Mizuno        S18 Wedge w/KBS tour 130 X
    Odyssey      O-Works 1WS Putter
    Titleist         AVX Golf Balls
  • hacker49hacker49 Advanced Members Posts: 425 ✭✭
    I'd go with spin. My instructor is having me work on my impact position by hitting 1/2 to 3/4 pitch shots now. He mentioned when I hit it correctly the flight is lower and that is how I will get more spin.
  • Chuck905Chuck905 Advanced Members Posts: 1,066
    I don’t have issues with spin rate.

Trajectory is most important to me with all my wedges. It’s how my eyes sees the ball flight and controls the distance.

The worst, is up shooting a wedge.
    Epic SZ 10*, Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    U45 17*, Recoil 110
    3-PW Mizuno MP18 Blades
    Mizuno T7s 54-8 SW and 58-12 LW
    Odyssey RX9
    Chuck905 wrote:
    I don’t have issues with spin rate.

Trajectory is most important to me with all my wedges. It’s how my eyes sees the ball flight and controls the distance.

The worst, is up shooting a wedge.

What do you mean by up shooting a wedge?