APEX Pro & APEX MB Combo?

ProjectX_MizunoProjectX_Mizuno Members Posts: 1,705 ✭✭
Anyone combo the new APEX Pro irons with the APEX MB’s? Are you loving the combo or do you wish you went with a full set of either?

Comments

• Hougz79Hougz79 Members Posts: 319 ✭✭
    I hope for the Cally-made combo set they do it better than the 16 version. In 2016 the Apex was satin, the Pro was chrome. In the custom Callaway set, they made the Pro's satin too and the finish was junk. It dinged up first use and by 15 rounds they looked like something from the bargin bin at a golf swap show. It really too bad, they were excellent irons. I hope they learned and make the 19 version better.
    Titleist TS3 8.5*, EFW T1100 65 6.5
    Titleist TS2 15*, EFW T1100 75 6.0
    Titleist 818 H1 19*, Fuji Motore Speeder 8.8HB S
    Tileist 818 H2 21*, Fuji Motore Speeder 8.8HB S
    Titleist 718 AP3, 4-5, PX 6.0
    Titleist 718 AP2, 6-PW PX 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52.12F, 58.12D
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
  • ProjectX_MizunoProjectX_Mizuno Members Posts: 1,705 ✭✭
    The Pro and MB’s are both chrome, so no worries about different finishes.
  • cmatthews77cmatthews77 Members Posts: 820 ✭✭
    I’m currently combo’ing the 2018 Apex MB (8-PW) with the 2016 Apex Pro (6,7i) and the ‘16 Apex CF16 5i (bent weak).

I think the Apex Pros combo FANTASTIC with the Apex MBs. Finish is similar. Profile is similar. It works great. I’ve hit the new Apex Pro 7i inside and they would also demo very nicely although you’d want to bend the MB 1 strong most likely.

I love the look of MBs and I also like the look of a an attractive SC so to me it’s the best of both worlds. The MBs are pretty darn easy to hit so you could easily game a set of them.

People confuse forgiveness but it’s realky to me more about club head speed and where you start to see the gaps tighten. That’s where you should split the set.
    Callaway
    GBB Epic Driver (9.5) - Project X HZRDUS
    GBB Epic 3W (14) - Diamana
    GBB Epic 5W (18) - Project X HZRDUS
    Apex 3 & 4 Hybrid- Kuro Kage
    '16 Apex CF16 (5i), '16 Apex Pro (6,7), '18 Apex MB (8-PW) Recoil 95
    MD3 Black 52 & 58 (PM Grind)
    Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis or X
    * I don't know now-- ball study has everyone goin' crazy!
  • Jordan SpeethJordan Speeth ClubWRX Posts: 1,090 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 24, 2019 3:45am #5

I am currently playing the Apex Combo set (Apex 5, 6, 7 Pro 8, 9, P, A with Recoil 760ES Smacwrap Graphite shafts) and I wish I'd have gone with the Pro only. I actually tried to revise my order but they got it into production so quickly that it was too late. The Pro is the perfect golf club IMO. I can't find a single fault with it. On the other hand, the Apex makes some terrible noise. You'd think it would sound more like a Hybrid but it rather makes a loud "pop" sound. I'm holding my judgment for a while though because, in fairness, I haven't really hit too many good shots with them. I've only got two rounds in with them....not enough time with them yet. I keep telling myself that if these are an improvement over the beloved CF16, that the problem must be with me. I don't like the fat top line of the Apex either, though it may serve to scale the look of the club to look more like the Pro, which couldn't be a better looking, nicer sized and scaled club. I hope to have a better update in the near future.

Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
    Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
    Ping G400 17* 2-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Ping G 22* 4-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Callaway Apex Pro 5-Gap- Steelfiber i95
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 56- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Odyssey White Hot #7 38"- Superstroke Tank Slim 13"
    Golf Pride MCC Grips
    Wilson Duo Urethane (this week)
    MG Elite Glove
    2018 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag