ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Reshafting i210s?

OknowsOknows Advanced Members Posts: 1,033 ✭✭
I’ve done plenty of club work, but never on Pings. How difficult is it? Is sending them to Ping as expensive as I’ve heard? Is doing it myself worth voiding my warranty? Thanks for any help.
Ping G400 MAX at 8* w/ Diamana W 70x
Callaway Epic SZ 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75
Ping G 17.5 w/ Tour 80
Ping i500 3 iron (17*) w/ DG 120 x100
Titleist 816 H1 23*
PING i210 5-GW w/ PX LZ 6.5
Ping Glide 2.0 54* w/ DG s400
Ping Glide 2.0 58* w/ DG s400
Evnroll ER1

Comments

• OknowsOknows Advanced Members Posts: 1,033 ✭✭
    Another option is having current shafts pulled professionally somewhere other than Ping. Still, is it worth voiding warranty? Would I be able to send in for other work?
    Ping G 17.5 w/ Tour 80
    Titleist 816 H1 23*
    Evnroll ER1
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Advanced Members Posts: 18,080 ✭✭
    They are similar to other irons. A few things to be aware of...

- collared ferrules required. Which exact ones is debatable.

- The hosel necks down at the bottom and to get the shaft to seat you have to pound the shaft into the hosel or it wan't reach the bottom.

- Ping measures length without a grip
    Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & CB Pro U hybrid
    Ping G25 irons w/Recoil 95 F4's
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
    Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"
  • TommyjTommyj Advanced Members Posts: 293 ✭✭
    Ping will still make lie angle adjustments even if you reshaft the irons yourself, so what is your concern when you say "void the warranty"? With the i210 the hosel's not going to snap off or the face cave in, and you're not going to get any warranty on the finish.
  • 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff Advanced Members Posts: 3,258 ✭✭
    Tommyj wrote:

Ping will still make lie angle adjustments even if you reshaft the irons yourself, so what is your concern when you say "void the warranty"? With the i210 the hosel's not going to snap off or the face cave in, and you're not going to get any warranty on the finish.

This. I've reshafted many ping sets and they always bend them. I've also had thr CTPs adjusted in sets with shafts i installed.
    COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902
    Thanks for the info. For some reason, Ping’s policies have always scared me. Have also heard that pulling Ping heads is extremely difficult. I typically just use a heat gun.
    Ping G 17.5 w/ Tour 80
    Titleist 816 H1 23*
    Evnroll ER1
    Anyone have a ferrule suggestion?
    Ping G 17.5 w/ Tour 80
    Titleist 816 H1 23*
    Evnroll ER1
    A heat gun is the wrong tool. Much less heat goes into the head and shaft when using a torch.

Ping heads can be difficult to pull because, as mentioned before, the shaft is pounded into the head from the factory. You need to twist hard to break that bond.
    edited March 14
    5hort5tuff wrote:

Tommyj wrote:

This. I've reshafted many ping sets and they always bend them. I've also had thr CTPs adjusted in sets with shafts i installed.

You're concerned about the head itself breaking? I assume that's only going to happen if you try to bend them yourself or have someone other than Ping do it. What else could possibly happen to the head aside from normal wear, which is never covered by warranty.

Oknows - I just pulled the original Ping installed shaft in my G25 5 iron. As Nessism says, use a torch. I heated the hosel for about 45 seconds, moving the torch and rotating the club. When the bond is broken you'll hear a pop and a bit of smoke escaping from the hosel. At that point its easy to twist off the shaft. If there is slight discolouration on the hosel I clean it with Bar Keepers Friend. And Ping are pretty good to deal with. They just won't reinstall a shaft once its been pulled, whether its steel or graphite.
    Tommyj wrote:

5hort5tuff wrote:

Tommyj wrote:

You're concerned about the head itself breaking? I assume that's only going to happen if you try to bend them yourself or have someone other than Ping do it. What else could possibly happen to the head aside from normal wear, which is never covered by warranty.

Good points. Thanks.
    Ping G 17.5 w/ Tour 80
    Titleist 816 H1 23*
    Evnroll ER1
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Advanced Members Posts: 7,035 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    Oknows wrote:

Very specific. The Glide Ferrules. I just did two. Golfworks has them listed as “glider” ferrules for some stupid reason. If you are very careful and you use a torch just on the hosel you can sometimes save the old ones. I wrap the ferrule in a thin 1/2 inch wide piece of paper towel wetted with ice cold water. Move the torch around the hosel for about 20 seconds. If you don’t overheat it you can save that ferrule. The collar will deform a little but it can often still be re used.

Pulling steel shafts from pings can be difficult because they can “stick” in the unusual Ping Taper. They can really be jammed in there by the factory. . It is good to have them very firmly in a shaft clamp and then not be scared to twist them hard with a gloved hand to break them loose. Sometimes even with a shaft clamp I have to hold the grip at the same time as twisting the head so it doesn’t slip n the clamp.

Pulling graphite requires a graphite puller so it is similar to other clubs.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, 60-14(at 61) stealth, All wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
    Any chance just a regular heat gun will do the trick?
    Ping G 17.5 w/ Tour 80
    Titleist 816 H1 23*
    Evnroll ER1
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Advanced Members Posts: 7,035 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    Oknows wrote:

Don’t be a cheapo. Get a torch. I haven’t used a heat gun for 25 years. Way too slow and with graphite shafts they can actually damage the shafts because of that long time exposed to lower heat.

Heat it up quick and be done. Shaft adapters on woods will only take 8-10 seconds. No damage.

With steel shafts and iron hosels it’s only about 20 seconds.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, 60-14(at 61) stealth, All wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
    edited March 14
    Oknows wrote:

You can use a heatgun. Some heads do take forever so its not always the best tool.

What type of torch do most of you use?
    COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Advanced Members Posts: 1,137 ✭✭
    Oknows wrote:

Ping did not use ferrules on its irons, G25 and earlier. Why did they start? In 2012, a GolfWorks school instructor told me he liked working on Pings because you didn't have to waste time turning ferrules.
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 95 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10 / KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
    5hort5tuff wrote:

Oknows wrote:

You can use a heatgun. Some heads do take forever so its not always the best tool.

I use a full size propane torch but a small mini may be better. You don't even need a glove, just as don't touch the hosel. A heat gun spews heat over a much wider area. Try twisting off a head after warming with a heat gun and you will burn your hand.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Advanced Members Posts: 1,986 ✭✭
    I have small butane soldering torch that works great.
    edited March 14
    5hort5tuff wrote:

Oknows wrote:

I went to my local kitchen store and got a small butane torch that's normally used to caramelize the tops of creme brûlée. Works perfectly and nice compact size.

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-4847-Butane-Brûlée/dp/B0036AS2AG
  • halliedoghalliedog Advanced Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    Also, if you're interested in trying to save the ferrules as JagPilot suggested, this will be nearly impossible with a heat gun for the reason he and Ness described about the heat spreading too much.
    WITB:
    TM M1 8.5* w/ Aldila Rip Alpha 45.5
    Ping TiSi Tec 7.5* w/ Elements Chrome 43"
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW
    Nevada Golf Guy 53-08 w/ KBS Tour V X
    TM "Un-Ghosted" Tour 880
    edited March 14
    halliedog wrote:

Also, if you're interested in trying to save the ferrules as JagPilot suggested, this will be nearly impossible with a heat gun for the reason he and Ness described about the heat spreading too much.

Okay i have to jump in here again

I use a heat gun exclusively. I dont own a torch. I do all my work about 10 feet away from the furnace and water heater so im a bit hesitant to use open flame

Regardless...i pull both steel and graphite monthly, if not weekly. I have never had a shaft or head damaged from too much heat from the gun. I've never had graphite break or weaken from a pull.

The heat gun is 100% less efficient, but it doesnt melt ferrules, paint, or badges on clubs.
    COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902
    5hort5tuff wrote:

halliedog wrote:

I use a heat gun exclusively. I dont own a torch. I do all my work about 10 feet away from the furnace and water heater so im a bit hesitant to use open flame

Regardless...i pull both steel and graphite monthly, if not weekly. I have never had a shaft or head damaged from too much heat from the gun. I've never had graphite break or weaken from a pull.

The heat gun is 100% less efficient, but it doesnt melt ferrules, paint, or badges on clubs.

If you’re honestly worried about using a propane torch around a water heater or furnace I’d think very seriously about replacing your water or furnace.

There isn’t the SLIGHTEST reason to be concerned about this unless you think one of your appliances has a leak....and if that’s the case you will eventually blow up your house anyway....and It won’t have anything to do with using a torch for your golf work.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag

5hort5tuff wrote:

halliedog wrote:

If you’re honestly worried about using a propane torch around a water heater or furnace I’d think very seriously about replacing your water or furnace.

There isn’t the SLIGHTEST reason to be concerned about this unless you think one of your appliances has a leak....and if that’s the case you will eventually blow up your house anyway....and It won’t have anything to do with using a torch for your golf work.

A very dark direction you went with this...
    COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902
    5hort5tuff wrote:

5hort5tuff wrote:

halliedog wrote:

A very dark direction you went with this...

Too much?

My golf work space is 6 feet from my water heater and furnace. I’ve Been happily torching clubs there for 10 years. No explosion.

The day I smell gas is the day I put down the torch and call the plumber....very quickly.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag