ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Wrist **** at top of backswing

Ty_WebbTy_Webb Advanced Members Posts: 2,905 ✭✭
Hi all. Hoping to check myself here. First off some info. My driver swing speed is around the 106-107 mark. My 5 iron swing speed is about 96-97. My 5 iron goes about 185, which I think is pretty short for my swing speed. My issue is I have a relatively steep angle of attack and get quite a high effective loft at the ball. The combo of which means a glancing blow rather than a powerful one. My coach also has been trying to get me to stop my wrists from collapsing at the top of my backswing. He was looking at it and he said “wait, do you ever notice the club out of the corner of your eye on the backswing?” “Yes, yes I do” “oh god!”

So anyway. Then I watched this video of Mark Crossfield’s

He does some swings trying to **** his wrists as much as possible and the gcquad shows him having the issue that I have. Light bulbs start going off. It has always been in my head that I want my wrists cocked as much as possible. So now I’m trying not to **** them. Not sure if it’s making a difference.

Now to the crux of my question. My left wrist. If it’s in radial deviation then it’s really hard to get it into a bowed position. Far more natural to be very cupped. If it’s in ulnar deviation then I can get it into a much more bowed position. Is that true for everybody or is that a quirk of me?

Does anyone have any thoughts or tips about keeping the wrist either neutral or in ulnar deviation at the top of the swing rather than radial?
Ping G30 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G30 3 wood Accra
Titleist 714CB 2, 3, 4
Titleist 714MB 5-PW
Vokey 52 and 56
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comments

• BTPBTP Born a Scamblin' Man Advanced Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭
    Ty_Webb wrote:

Hi all. Hoping to check myself here. First off some info. My driver swing speed is around the 106-107 mark. My 5 iron swing speed is about 96-97. My 5 iron goes about 185, which I think is pretty short for my swing speed. My issue is I have a relatively steep angle of attack and get quite a high effective loft at the ball. The combo of which means a glancing blow rather than a powerful one. My coach also has been trying to get me to stop my wrists from collapsing at the top of my backswing. He was looking at it and he said “wait, do you ever notice the club out of the corner of your eye on the backswing?” “Yes, yes I do” “oh god!”

So anyway. Then I watched this video of Mark Crossfield’s https://youtu.be/koq7_-AhzSw

He does some swings trying to **** his wrists as much as possible and the gcquad shows him having the issue that I have. Light bulbs start going off. It has always been in my head that I want my wrists cocked as much as possible. So now I’m trying not to **** them. Not sure if it’s making a difference.

Now to the crux of my question. My left wrist. If it’s in radial deviation then it’s really hard to get it into a bowed position. Far more natural to be very cupped. If it’s in ulnar deviation then I can get it into a much more bowed position. Is that true for everybody or is that a quirk of me?

Does anyone have any thoughts or tips about keeping the wrist either neutral or in ulnar deviation at the top of the swing rather than radial?

That's true for everybody because we have more ulnar deviation range of motion than radial deviation. A simple test is face the palm down - deviate it to the left and then the right. It moves further to the left thus ulnar deviation is greater. Try this, simply set your hands lower at address. See if this makes a difference.
    Titleist 910D2 10.5* Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6s
    Titleist 910F 15*/19* Graphite Design Tour BB 6s

Titleist 910H 24*/27* Oban Kiyoshi Hybrid Purple 05 100gms
    Titleist 712 MB Forged 6-PW KBS C-Taper 120s

Titleist Vokey SM6 50* F/54* S/58* S DG S200
    Scotty Cameron 2010 Del Mar Buttonback Special Release 35"

Pro V1x
    WITB Link

Titleist Performance Institute Certified
  • Ty_WebbTy_Webb Advanced Members Posts: 2,905 ✭✭
    glk wrote:

I have read this. My wrist gets too cupped for me and I wind up way across the line. I've found it really hard not to be cupped and I think it's because I've been fully setting my wrists (i.e. radial deviation) when I perhaps shouldn't have been.
    Ping G30 9° Diamana white 63x
    Ping G30 3 wood Accra
    Titleist 714CB 2, 3, 4
    Titleist 714MB 5-PW
    Vokey 52 and 56
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • glkglk send it in jerome Advanced Members Posts: 3,231 ✭✭
    Ty_Webb wrote:

glk wrote:

I have read this. My wrist gets too cupped for me and I wind up way across the line. I've found it really hard not to be cupped and I think it's because I've been fully setting my wrists (i.e. radial deviation) when I perhaps shouldn't have been.

I only focus (at least when I pay attention ) on extending my right wrist. The left does what it does. Stop focusing on the left wrist is the point.
  • crapulacrapula Golf! Advanced Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭
    I don't think the two are really correlated.

Grab a club and try bending your right wrist into full extension. Now add radial deviation. Left wrist should be in flexion.
    Srixon Z 785 9.5 Project X HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z F85 13.5 Project X HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z 785 3-PW KBS Tour 120 S
    Cleveland RTX-3 50, 54, 58 KBS Tour 120 S
    Cleveland Elevado
    Srixon Yellow ZStar